Yup we've held our own the last 100+ years......the last decade not so much

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

Technically... I think we are.

That is what I am thinking as well. S/O to 247 though

11 minutes ago, gravejd said:

UGAs ownership of AU goes back further than 2 years my friend. But i'm sure if you try hard you can find an excuse for each loss we've had against them and still convince yourself they were "lucky"

Snide tone noted... I don't know when posters like you are going to learn that I don't post what I feel, I post based on numbers and facts. I'm not going to make up crap to prove my point. If I'm wrong, I admit I'm wrong.

We've played Georgia a whopping 120 times... the record is currently 57 wins for Georgia, 55 for Auburn, and 8 ties. Yes, they have had the upper hand since 2006 (11 years), mostly because they've had the benefit of some of the top running backs in the conference, and one of the best QBs, plus the fact that we flat out sucked in 2008 and 2012. The soundly kicked our butts in 2006, 2007, 2011 and 2012, only one of which we can blame on something other than play on the field, and our only convincing win was 2010. 

Kirby Smart, however, is no Mark Richt. The truth is, a healthy Auburn team would have beat UGA in 2015 and killed them last year.

Oh... and for the record, 1982 to 2005 (23 years), they beat us a whole 7 times... it's going to take a while before they can claim "ownership". 

2 hours ago, lionheartkc said:

Had we not lost our QB, it would have been a very different game. That being said, 2 Heisman finalists is not a team lacking in talent.

Right. And if Mayfield is injured and White not, ...

1 hour ago, lionheartkc said:

Snide tone noted... I don't know when posters like you are going to learn that I don't post what I feel, I post based on numbers and facts. I'm not going to make up crap to prove my point. If I'm wrong, I admit I'm wrong.

We've played Georgia a whopping 120 times... the record is currently 57 wins for Georgia, 55 for Auburn, and 8 ties. Yes, they have had the upper hand since 2006 (11 years), mostly because they've had the benefit of some of the top running backs in the conference, and one of the best QBs, plus the fact that we flat out sucked in 2008 and 2012. The soundly kicked our butts in 2006, 2007, 2011 and 2012, only one of which we can blame on something other than play on the field, and our only convincing win was 2010. 

Kirby Smart, however, is no Mark Richt. The truth is, a healthy Auburn team would have beat UGA in 2015 and killed them last year.

Oh... and for the record, 1982 to 2005 (23 years), they beat us a whole 7 times... it's going to take a while before they can claim "ownership". 

yeah i currently live in Georgia so this subject is a touchy one for me. Not sure what kind of poster i am but i TRY and post with facts most of the time. 

No one hates to admit we have a uga problem more than me, but i call it like i see it. And this is how i see the numbers....last 10 years UGA-8 wins AU - 2 wins. That right there is a damn shame of a record. I understand we have had the upper hand in the past but they do now and i would really like to reverse that trend and soon. The last 2 years have been rough to take......

32 minutes ago, gravejd said:

The last 2 years have been rough to take......

I hear you... the only thing worse than losing a fair fight is not being able to bring much of a fight at all, when you should be curb stomping them.

I do have the advantage of being surrounded by a bunch of Big 12 fans... save for the Missouri fans who mostly just apologize, these days.

1 hour ago, gravejd said:

yeah i currently live in Georgia so this subject is a touchy one for me. Not sure what kind of poster i am but i TRY and post with facts most of the time. 

No one hates to admit we have a uga problem more than me, but i call it like i see it. And this is how i see the numbers....last 10 years UGA-8 wins AU - 2 wins. That right there is a damn shame of a record. I understand we have had the upper hand in the past but they do now and i would really like to reverse that trend and soon. The last 2 years have been rough to take......

I try to call it like I see it too.  And damned if Auburn isn't sitting with a decade long W-L record as follows:

vs LSU   3-7

vs UGA  2-8

vs UAT  3-7

That crap is depressing.  Thank you Lawd for Mississippi and a break even record vs Arky 5-5!

7 hours ago, keesler said:

Bottom line >>>>  Auburn consistently pulls in top 10 recruiting classes every year, Auburn does NOT consistently finish with top a 10 ranked team every year.

Now every AU fan and their brother is free to list ALL of the myriad of reasons, problems, and excuses as to why Auburn can not consistently finish the season in the top 10 commiserate with the top 10 talent on the roster. 

While we do finish with a Top 10 Class most recent years, that is often good enough for 3d-5th in our division. And that's our average SEC West finish the past few years. I do agree that I'm tired of excuses and reasons. Time to have a 3 or 4 year run with a Top 10 level team. 

8 minutes ago, Gowebb11 said:

While we do finish with a Top 10 Class most recent years, that is often good enough for 3d-5th in our division. And that's our average SEC West finish the past few years. I do agree that I'm tired of excuses and reasons. Time to have a 3 or 4 year run with a Top 10 level team. 

We're in the best position we've been in for really as long as I can remember to do it for at least 2 years.  Here's hoping Gus has learned how to reload :).

58 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

We're in the best position we've been in for really as long as I can remember to do it for at least 2 years.  Here's hoping Gus has learned how to reload :).

The problem is to me, that especially with GA, there were games where GA was having a bad year, and we still couldn't beat them. They will be even tougher i am afraid as they get better recruits and more experience. 

We HAVE to at least win these games at home...which we havent done much the last 10 years with them too.

I like 14.  It gives Auburn room to move up pretty easily if they can beat Clemson early on but not soo low that if Auburn stumbles they won't disappear.  LSU is completely dependent on their offense improving and the OC they hired did well at Pitt.  Clemson will still be finding its way 2nd game of the season so that bodes well.  UGA needs Eason to step up in year 2.  Bama 's gonna Bam but could lose early to FSU.  Guess we'll find out in 6 months.

49 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

The problem is to me, that especially with GA, there were games where GA was having a bad year, and we still couldn't beat them. They will be even tougher i am afraid as they get better recruits and more experience. 

We HAVE to at least win these games at home...which we havent done much the last 10 years with them too.

If Richt was still there, I'd be with you... but he's not and I don't think Kirby's got what it takes to lead Georgia to the promised land.  If we are what we should be this year, and they beat us, he'll have my respect.  Until then, I think we take them down.

3 hours ago, keesler said:

I try to call it like I see it too.  And damned if Auburn isn't sitting with a decade long W-L record as follows:

vs LSU   3-7

vs UGA  2-8

vs UAT  3-7

That crap is depressing.  Thank you Lawd for Mississippi and a break even record vs Arky 5-5!

The UG and UAT stats are still (sadly) relevant, but with LSU that mainly traces to the Chizik era. We split with them during Tubs's time, and have thus far split during Gus's time. So I feel like that's back to being a fairly even rivalry.

I really wish they'd go by this model (except rotating opponents would have to be on a two straight year basis for it to work): http://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2016/6/14/11895556/sec-football-schedule-format-divisions-rivalries-rotation

Words cannot describe how much I hate the way DSOR rotates now. Honestly, that pisses me off almost as much as our record against them the last decade.

During the Saban dynasty, everyone has a losing record against bama that plays them even semi-regularly. For that, I give us a pass. (Who else is 3-7 against them in the last 10 years?)  Hopefully soon their empire will crumble and we can whip them like Tubs on Shula.

Outside of the Chizik years, I agree LSU is an even rivalry where the home team usually wins. I hope that trend is bucked in BR this year. 

Uga is the one in that group that is most frustrating. There were years when we should have destroyed them and came up empty. Even the 2 years we did beat them required a "Miracle at Jordan-Hare" and a Cam-back win (2010 was ugly in the 1st Quarter). This year we reverse the curse and remind those little puppies who their Daddy is. 

I have posted this so many times but it really is all about the uga game. Last year's game did me in. That was the worst uga team I have seen in a long time. We were their signature win for the year. We can make every excuse in the book on why we lost, and they may be legitimate, but a loss is a loss. They have owned us over the last decade. Losing to them directly hurts in recruiting, where we have made a living by pulling a ton of recruits from GA. Over the last few years Clemson has taken top kids from GA, and now Kirby is starting to close the doors in that state. 

We have to win this game more than any other this year IMO. 

15 minutes ago, gr82b4au said:

I have posted this so many times but it really is all about the uga game. Last year's game did me in. That was the worst uga team I have seen in a long time. We were their signature win for the year. We can make every excuse in the book on why we lost, and they may be legitimate, but a loss is a loss. They have owned us over the last decade. Losing to them directly hurts in recruiting, where we have made a living by pulling a ton of recruits from GA. Over the last few years Clemson has taken top kids from GA, and now Kirby is starting to close the doors in that state. 

We have to win this game more than any other this year IMO. 

Couldn't agree more. We shouldn't have lost in 2015, either, and we shouldn't have gotten curb-stomped in 2014. 

They currently own us- with crappy teams- and it really sucks. 

56 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Couldn't agree more. We shouldn't have lost in 2015, either, and we shouldn't have gotten curb-stomped in 2014. 

They currently own us- with crappy teams- and it really sucks. 

Beatin' em twice this year would cure a world of ills.

One of the most interesting AU football statistics to me is that we not had back to back 10 win seasons since 88-89. Even South Carolina and Mizzou have accomplished that much recently. Were good enough to have undefeated teams and play for National Championships but we cannot sustain success worth a dang. The lack of consistency over such a long period is why I discount preseason rankings altogether. We have the talent to win the West this year, or the track record to finish 4th or 5th in the West. I will know more come November. War Eagle anyway. 

On ‎3‎/‎6‎/‎2017 at 6:37 PM, aubiefifty said:

SI

1. Alabama
2. USC
3. Penn State
4. Florida State
5. LSU
6. Clemson
7. Ohio State
8. Oklahoma
9. Washington
10. Michigan
11. Wisconsin
12. Oklahoma State
13. Louisville
14. Auburn
15. Georgia
16. Tennessee
17. Stanford
18. Texas
19. Florida
20. West Virginia
21. Kansas State
22. Oregon
23. Miami
24. UCLA
25. South Florida

This post was edited on 3/6 at 3:02 pm

Nice to know this!  I do not think Lsu should be rated no where near as high as they are. I could see them being rated around 15th through 20th place. I think  they got it right with us being 14th place. I do think we will rise above 14th place as the season progresses. I am not so sure about the overall ratings. Clemson should be rated at 1st place until they lose a game. It is a lack of respect not rating the team number 1 who won the NC the year before.

On 3/8/2017 at 5:48 PM, Gowebb11 said:

One of the most interesting AU football statistics to me is that we not had back to back 10 win seasons since 88-89. Even South Carolina and Mizzou have accomplished that much recently. 

One could argue that, were we in the East instead of the West, we would have a lot more 10 win seasons and SEC Championship appearances.

11 hours ago, lionheartkc said:

One could argue that, were we in the East instead of the West, we would have a lot more 10 win seasons and SEC Championship appearances.

Arkansas had back-to-back 10 win seasons in 2010 and 2011 under Bobby Petrino.

11 hours ago, lionheartkc said:

Agree with 2 caveats.  One, we didn't accomplish back to back 10 win seasons in the 90s and the West was weaker than the East. Two, if we ever stop losing to inferior UGA teams we will have a lot more big seasons. My major point is AU should be more consistent than going 30 years without a string of double digit wins. This season would be a good time to start that trend. WDE. 

On 3/7/2017 at 3:39 PM, keesler said:

vs LSU   3-7

vs UGA  2-8

vs UAT  3-7

Can we add 2-3 against Clemson?  Rubber game this year.  Last win 2010

Archived