College Baseball Rankings

35 minutes ago, wareagle13 said:

Unless we make them give us our own regional. If we can get to 20 wins in the sec they cannot not give us a regional. And that's possible. Sweep Bama and ole miss which highly possible, take 2 of three from arky and State or lsu, and we can drop a series against one of the others and that'll get us to 20 wins.

That was mostly meant as a joke.....considering that FSU is very unlikely to host a regional...but maybe the Gators instead. Interesting that we swept them and they are still a couple notches above us.  I guess if it came to some kind of tie-breaker that series might be very valuable for AU's placement.  

Just looking at the teams and W-L records once you get below #5 or 6, it's hard to make a case than any one of them is any better than the others if you put them on a neutral field.

http://www.espn.com/college-sports/rankings/_/pollId/9/sportId/10031000

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, AU64 said:

but maybe the Gators instead.

Teams from the same conference can't be in the same regional

My guess as of right now is that we would be a 2 seed in one of the 5 ACC teams in the top 11 in RPI: UNC, Louisville, UVA, Wake, or Clemson...I think it would be Clemson TBH.

Meanwhile, a guy named Trey Harris has hit three homeruns against Kentucky tonight for Missouri ... and the next batter hit a another homerun... his second

Total of seven home runs in the game thus far. 

i am still flabbergasted that Auburn University baseball is staying on the edge of the top 10 and inside the top 30 rpi.  If you'd have told me preseason that we "might" squeak into the top 25 in the polls, I would have been thrilled.  Just Keep Winning, baby.  5 of our last 6 series are against top 50 rpi teams.  3 are top 20 rpi/ranked teams.  With Daniel having such a solid outing yesterday and our bats has a smidge of life this last weekend ... mize/thompson close the year on a strong note and there is no telling what may happen.

So I decided to have a little fun & guess where AU comes out in the polls later today. Here goes...

D1Baseball From 11 to 7
Baseball America from 10 to 6
CBN from from 10 to 6
Perfect Game from 15 to 11
NCBWA from 14 to 11
USA Today from 12 to 8

Is there a set of rankings that is considered more official than the others? For instance, which rankings does ESPN/SEC Network use that they display next to the team name on the scoreboard? 

4 minutes ago, AUTigersfan89 said:

Is there a set of rankings that is considered more official than the others? For instance, which rankings does ESPN/SEC Network use that they display next to the team name on the scoreboard? 

I believe ESPN uses the USA Today Coaches' Poll.

5 hours ago, ellitor said:

So I decided to have a little fun & guess where AU comes out in the polls later today. Here goes...

D1Baseball From 11 to 7

You were dead-on with this one.

1 hour ago, AUTigersfan89 said:

Is there a set of rankings that is considered more official than the others?

Unless the NCAA Selection committee does a poll like they did for Softball then no.

1 hour ago, AUTigersfan89 said:

which rankings does ESPN/SEC Network use that they display next to the team name on the scoreboard? 

USA today as Boom said but they are not considered any more official than any others.

6 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

Kind of fun considering that, this time last year, the two main talking points around here were whether we made a mistake hiring Thompson and whether we made a mistake firing Galloway.

I didn't see either opinion expressed much on here.

22 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

Latest RPI still has us at 22.  There are six SEC teams ahead of us:  UK (5), UF (7), Arky (12), LSU (13), MSU (19), and Vandy (20)

http://www.ncaa.com/rankings/baseball/d1/rpi

You can also use WarrenNolan.com. It uses the same RPI formula as the NCAA and is updated pretty much hourly.

2 hours ago, ellitor said:
  2 hours ago, lionheartkc said:

Kind of fun considering that, this time last year, the two main talking points around here were whether we made a mistake hiring Thompson and whether we made a mistake firing Galloway.

With respect to the firing of Golloway, I had serious concerns about the way Jacobs handled it.  It was a setup and a hatchet job at bare minimum.  As to the replacement, there was serious concern as to how long it would take Butch to transition from really good assistant  to really good head coach.  Nobody would disagree that last year was a step back from what most were expecting, we didn't even make the conference tournament.  I hope that never happens again.

7 minutes ago, PowerOfDixieland said:

With respect to the firing of Golloway, I had serious concerns about the way Jacobs handled it.  It was a setup and a hatchet job at bare minimum.  As to the replacement, there was serious concern as to how long it would take Butch to transition from really good assistant  to really good head coach.  Nobody would disagree that last year was a step back from what most were expecting, we didn't even make the conference tournament.  I hope that never happens again.

No question the way Sunny was let go was a hatchet job.

Fair point on the how long it would take Butch to develop into a good HC but IMO it would have been too early to question if it was a mistake hiring Butch.

Most may not have been expecting last year but I was after so many kids left the program just before or after Sunny was fired. It's really hard to be a good team when there is so much roster turnover in an unfortunate situation like that 4 months before the season starts. Plus Butch only had a few weeks to get his first signing class & figure out which of the commits Sunny had that he wanted to keep. It was a near impossible 1st year to be a HC to be honest.

crazy thing now with this season ... was a worry about how the 20+ new guys would integrate into a team ... now I hope they will stay!  There are a few that are going to get looked at real hard by the pros.

EDIT:  went back and looked at our schedule ... if we end the year on a solid note but are undone due to our RPI (the early season losses) then we can look back to Feb 28 to March 10.  Lost 4 of 7 in that span.  samford, lipscomb, south alabama, presb college ... 

19 games in 27 days to start the season.  Is that normal?  I guess it is one more per week than when we get into conf play (4 in 7 days).  Just struck me that the majority of our early losses were towards the tail end of pre-conf ... fatigue, new scheme, new coaches, needed to refocus after a month, etc... ???

16 minutes ago, mustache eagle said:

crazy thing now with this season ... was a worry about how the 20+ new guys would integrate into a team ... now I hope they will stay!  There are a few that are going to get looked at real hard by the pros.

It helps when most of the 20+ new guys are the team. There are so many contributors from that signing class. That can help be a bonding point when so many guys coming in are counted on to help turn things around. Of the 20 signees, I count 5 who haven't really played meaningful minutes this year. That's great contributions from one recruiting class.

55 minutes ago, mustache eagle said:

if we end the year on a solid note but are undone due to our RPI (the early season losses) then we can look back to Feb 28 to March 10.  Lost 4 of 7 in that span.  samford, lipscomb, south alabama, presb college ... 

The biggest loss from a resume standpoint is the 9-5 loss to GW on Feb. 18th. We went into the 9th with a 5-4 lead but couldn't close the door. What sucked about the Samford game was giving up 6 runs in the 1st & not being able to come all the way back. In the Lipscomb game we blew a 7-6 lead going into the 9th. The Presbyterian loss stung. We went into the 9th up 8-4 but gave up 7 in the 9th to lose 11-8.

55 minutes ago, mustache eagle said:

19 games in 27 days to start the season.  Is that normal?  I guess it is one more per week than when we get into conf play (4 in 7 days).  Just struck me that the majority of our early losses were towards the tail end of pre-conf ... fatigue, new scheme, new coaches, needed to refocus after a month, etc... ???

Not normal but I like it. Teams are going to play all 56 regular season games the NCAA allows anyway. Might as well have as many early 5 game weeks as you can so you have as few possible during conference season. Allows for better rest for pitchers during the conference season. When you don't have a good bullpen 4 games during a conference week is easier to manage than 5. The issues were a shaky bullpen & a very rough Sprinkle start.

35 minutes ago, boomstick said:

It helps when most of the 20+ new guys are the team. There are so many contributors from that signing class. That can help be a bonding point when so many guys coming in are counted on to help turn things around. Of the 20 signees, I count 5 who haven't really played meaningful minutes this year. That's great contributions from one recruiting class.

And of the 20, 9 are making solid to good contributions to the team production wise. That's good too.

You would think that the teams selected to play in those early weeks with so many games would not have posed much of a problem .

Obviously, the coach thought that even with a bunch of rookies he could handle visiting teams with RPIs in excess of 150 or whatever they were.

10 minutes ago, ellitor said:

And of the 20, 9 are making solid to good contributions to the team production wise. That's good too.

Yep. Six starters are from that class, including our entire starting infield right now, plus our CF and DH. And five pitchers who see regular starts or weekend action are from that class. That's a lot of help from one recruiting class.

10 minutes ago, AU64 said:

You would think that the teams selected to play in those early weeks with so many games would not have posed much of a problem .

Obviously, the coach thought that even with a bunch of rookies he could handle visiting teams with RPIs in excess of 150 or whatever they were.

It may have been mentioned here in this thread or somewhere on this board, but I think Butch is on record saying we had a little lighter preseason schedule to help build some confidence in this team. When these schedules were made, I don't think anyone thought we'd be competing for a regional host spot. So having RPI considerations when scheduling probably wasn't something they discussed. Going forward, I'm sure it will be. And losing those three games that are hurting us normally wouldn't be a big deal, but this team is now in a position to earn a host spot. So those losses will come up and might have a negative affect.

If we come back from Starkville and Baton Rouge with series wins and handle business against Bama and OM, there won't be any question in my mind as to whether or not we will host.

49 minutes ago, boomstick said:

It may have been mentioned here in this thread or somewhere on this board, but I think Butch is on record saying we had a little lighter preseason schedule to help build some confidence in this team. When these schedules were made, I don't think anyone thought we'd be competing for a regional host spot. So having RPI considerations when scheduling probably wasn't something they discussed. Going forward, I'm sure it will be. And losing those three games that are hurting us normally wouldn't be a big deal, but this team is now in a position to earn a host spot. So those losses will come up and might have a negative affect.

If we come back from Starkville and Baton Rouge with series wins and handle business against Bama and OM, there won't be any question in my mind as to whether or not we will host.

It was a good theory....and should have worked out to his benefit...hard to understand how the team let those early games get away ...some of it on Butch but still, those were winnable games....and a good lesson for the future....to take the seriously.   Hoping if we on a border for hosting or whatever, someone will discount the weight of those losses.

Archived