College Baseball Rankings

Just now, AU64 said:

It was a good theory....and should have worked out to his benefit...hard to understand how the team let those early games get away ...some of it on Butch but still, those were winnable games....and a good lesson for the future....to take the seriously.   Hoping if we on a border for hosting or whatever, someone will discount the weight of those losses.

Bullpen had a lot to do with it. Early in the season we struggled a bit in the bullpen trying to figure out who to rely on and in what spots. Sprinkle took the losses to GW and Lipscomb, giving up 4 runs and 1 run (respectively) in the 9th inning of both games. Coker took the loss to Presbyterian, giving up 5 in the 9th. Keegan also gave up 4 in that Presbyterian game, but we had a 4-run lead to start the 9th.

The bullpen has been more solid during SEC play, but IMO it was all part of figuring out who this team was and what we had. If we played those games now, I don't think we would see the same results, but that's the downside to having to rebuild the way Butch did this year. 

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, AU64 said:

You would think that the teams selected to play in those early weeks with so many games would not have posed much of a problem .

Obviously, the coach thought that even with a bunch of rookies he could handle visiting teams with RPIs in excess of 150 or whatever they were.

I would not be surprised if a lot of that schedule was made by Sunny before he left. I'm not sure how far in advance some baseball noncon schedules are made.

Troy will not be easy tonight and is a trap game. They have beaten us pretty bad previously. We need to handle business to keep from dropping further.

Just now, GordoAU said:

Troy will not be easy tonight and is a trap game. They have beaten us pretty bad previously. We need to handle business to keep from dropping further.

They're throwing a freshman lefty at us. I'm wondering if he's a junk baller, which seems to give us trouble at the plate. Don't know much about their team other than they beat Bama a few weeks ago, and they have one player hitting over .300 for the season.

My wife is a Troy grad so I consider Troy my 2nd favorite school. I keep up with their athletics and they are a dangerous baseball team. Arguably better than both Samford and South. They are definitely not as good as they have been in the past but are above average. I just remember them beating Bama 2 times at the FSU regional. It was glorious lol. Their pitching is mediocre but they can seriously score some runs.

1 hour ago, ellitor said:

I would not be surprised if a lot of that schedule was made by Sunny before he left. I'm not sure how far in advance some baseball noncon schedules are made.

That could be....but losing those games looking more like a problem than it did back in Feb....when they were probably treated as opportunities to see what some of the young guys could do...more than "must win" situations.   Just thinking back to a few of the situations....BT gave the relievers much more latitude when they were having problems than he would now.    Hindsight...it's a wonderful thing.

If you know any Updykes they can take credit for costing us a host spot if it comes down to it. Typically an SEC team wouldn't have an RPI as bad as theirs is. They just might take us down even if we sweep. Man they suck. 

24 minutes ago, CameronCrazy said:

Imagine how good our record would look if we could just win these frickin mid-week games! 

8-4 is not a bad midweek record but it should be 10-2.

8 hours ago, ellitor said:

8-4 is not a bad midweek record but it should be 10-2.

If you're talking SHOULD be, it's 12-0. Give Coach Thompson another year or two to finish building and we'll have that. Of course, had we done what I lobbied for and hired Thompson after Pawloski was fired we'd be settin' pretty by now.

28 minutes ago, Mikey said:

If you're talking SHOULD be, it's 12-0. Give Coach Thompson another year or two to finish building and we'll have that. Of course, had we done what I lobbied for and hired Thompson after Pawloski was fired we'd be settin' pretty by now.

South Alabama is almost always good and always play us tough. I got no shame in losing that 1 and being 11-1 at best given they are the only team to beat us this year by double digit runs..

33 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

RPI dropped to 27 after last night

We can still be a region host if we take care of conference business. If we win the MSU series 2-1 on the road our RPI should be in the 18-20 range after this weekend and we will be in 1st place in the SEC West controlling our SEC West destiny which is the toughest division in baseball 1-6.

17 minutes ago, ellitor said:

We can still be a region host if we take care of conference business. If we win the MSU series 2-1 on the road our RPI should be in the 18-20 range after this weekend and we will be in 1st place in the SEC West controlling our SEC West destiny which is the toughest division in baseball 1-6.

Oh for sure.  Just always harder to jump teams late in the season.  Win a series at MSU and you've got a shot.  Win both MSU and LSU series and it's a lock.

3 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

Oh for sure.  Just always harder to jump teams late in the season.  Win a series at MSU and you've got a shot.  Win both MSU and LSU series and it's a lock.

Not if we drop a game to Bama.

Just now, ellitor said:

Not if we drop a game to Bama.

Well considering I'm flying in from Texas for that series, I had assumed a sweep :wareagle:

32 minutes ago, MDM4AU said:

USAToday keeps us at 9. Coincidentally, MSU stays at 13.

With Florida (didn't we win a couple few against them?) and TCU (didn't they get beat a million to three in seven freaking innings yesterday?) ahead of us.  They've also got some crazy fascination with Long Beach State.  

Just now, PowerOfDixieland said:

With Florida (didn't we win a couple few against them?) and TCU (didn't they get beat a million to three in seven freaking innings yesterday?) ahead of us.  They've also got some crazy fascination with Long Beach State.  

We swept UF.

And, yes, TCU dropped 2 of 3 to TxTech in Lubbock including 21-3 yesterday.

1 hour ago, MDM4AU said:

We swept UF.

And, yes, TCU dropped 2 of 3 to TxTech in Lubbock including 21-3 yesterday.

It should be against the law for a baseball team to lose by 18 runs in 7 innings and be ranked in the top ten.  I was watching that game, it was on ESPN 2 for crying out loud.  Had a big two out rally in the top of the seventh to close the lead to eighteen.  They got mercy ruled in a conference game, good grief.

1 hour ago, PowerOfDixieland said:

It should be against the law for a baseball team to lose by 18 runs in 7 innings and be ranked in the top ten.  I was watching that game, it was on ESPN 2 for crying out loud.  Had a big two out rally in the top of the seventh to close the lead to eighteen.  They got mercy ruled in a conference game, good grief.

It's baseball.  Games like that happen.  Heck, we won 17-8 in game one on Saturday and then played a much closer 5-2 game later that night.

Hell, remember the 2004 ALCS?  Game 3, the Yankees won 19-8 over the Red Sox to take a 3-0 lead.  We all know what happened from there.

I'm talking about a SEVEN INNING MERCY RULE LOSS in the rubber game of a series for the top of the Big 12 Conference with three weeks to go.  Does anybody believe if we lost two out of three to LSU and 20-1 on Sunday we would have any chance of staying in the top ten?  I realize games like that happen, been involved in far more than I'd like to admit.  Most of mine were in 13U travel ball though.

1 hour ago, Brad_ATX said:

It's baseball.  Games like that happen.  Heck, we won 17-8 in game one on Saturday and then played a much closer 5-2 game later that night.

Hell, remember the 2004 ALCS?  Game 3, the Yankees won 19-8 over the Red Sox to take a 3-0 lead.  We all know what happened from there.

Don't remind me ^%$#@*&^%$#:hammerin::drink9:

3 hours ago, augolf1716 said:

Don't remind me ^%$#@*&^%$#:hammerin::drink9:

Yup! Was such a glorious series.

Archived