Renderings of stadium renovation

aubiefifty

12 hours ago, Auburnfan91 said:

The reason for replacing the old scoreboard was because the parts we needed for the scoreboard were no longer being made, so the scoreboard became obsolete. 

That was the main reason, I'm sure.  Another, was that the fan base was disgruntled from losing 4 of our last 5 games at the end of 2014 and Administration knew they had to find a diversion tactic to ease our unrest.  The giant AubieTron did the trick for a short stint, until the team went on to finish the regular season 6-6 in 2015 resulting in the B'ham toilet bowl.

Back to the OP.....I have no issue with the plans for renovation, if it enhances JHS and the program as a whole, then get it done.  It's long over due and there's no need to sit back any longer while other programs are make sure they are on a steady pace to stay ahead of the pack.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, SaltyTiger said:

With you on that. Interesting, do not know if it was ever public knowledge that in the late 80's or early 90's a group of local businessmen and investors presented a similar look revitalizing the north end zone. That plan incorporated a parking deck with club seating, etc... They made a similar proposal to the University that the Hotel and Conference developers did. Operate for profit X years and then give to the University. I had a rendering of it at one time and can not recall what became of it.  

A parking deck no longer seems feasible over there now. If they were to make one, it would have to be very narrow and very tall. That won't happen anymore though since they have the parking deck on the other side of the stadium by the baseball field. I really hope that these plans come to fruition! 

43 minutes ago, keesler said:

That was the main reason, I'm sure.  Another, was that the fan base was disgruntled from losing 4 of our last 5 games at the end of 2014 and Administration knew they had to find a diversion tactic to ease our unrest.  The giant AubieTron did the trick for a short stint, until the team went on to finish the regular season 6-6 in 2015 resulting in the B'ham toilet bowl.

Back to the OP.....I have no issue with the plans for renovation, if it enhances JHS and the program as a whole, then get it done.  It's long over due and there's no need to sit back any longer while other programs are make sure they are on a steady pace to stay ahead of the pack.

I find it hard to argue that this renovation is not a good thing for Auburn and recruiting. I understand how some people don't like the "unbalanced" feel that it will bring to the stadium, but symmetry to a stadium is not what brings appeal to top-tier recruits. Personally, I think I will like the unbalanced feeling. I think it gives it a touch of uniqueness. Plus, there's no argument that the facility will not be as nice as any other in the league. With the moving of the press boxes comes the replacing of the sideline press boxes and the addition of club level seating. The BoT votes today on the $12 million dollar renovation to that area. And when the north end zone is renovated, Auburn will have a plethora of top-tier club level seating. 

13 hours ago, logan adams said:

Is it still a plan in the works to put screens on the backside of the jumbotron? 

I'm not sure if that's still the plan, but if it is, they need to hurry up and do it, because I see that thing everyday and it looks ugly and uncompleted. This will be season 3 with our fancy new scoreboard being an eyesore from the back, and no speak of any plan in the future to fix it. If you aren't going to do the screens, clad the dang thing up and let it go for a few seasons until the funds come in. But don't just let it sit there and look all incomplete for 3 years.

I'm going to take a look this weekend, but I'm under the impression that the north end zone renovation is going to be a ton of work just due to the existing landscape it's sitting on. There's no way to really expand out any more than we have so everything needs to be built "up" and re-arranged.

I personally like the renderings of the south end zone. My one complaint will be that some of those picturesque sunsets from the stadium view will be marred by the new press box. lol

5 hours ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

I'm not sure if that's still the plan, but if it is, they need to hurry up and do it, because I see that thing everyday and it looks ugly and uncompleted. This will be season 3 with our fancy new scoreboard being an eyesore from the back, and no speak of any plan in the future to fix it. If you aren't going to do the screens, clad the dang thing up and let it go for a few seasons until the funds come in. But don't just let it sit there and look all incomplete for 3 years.

It can't cost too much to clean up the back of that thing and give it a finished look.  

9 hours ago, Linayus said:

I'm going to take a look this weekend, but I'm under the impression that the north end zone renovation is going to be a ton of work just due to the existing landscape it's sitting on. There's no way to really expand out any more than we have so everything needs to be built "up" and re-arranged.

I personally like the renderings of the south end zone. My one complaint will be that some of those picturesque sunsets from the stadium view will be marred by the new press box. lol

The north end zone would require a "deep foundation" or support piles or piers either drilled or driven into bedrock. After that, you can build up with metal beams and float the thing in mid air if desired. I just recently ran a load test of 750kips (750 thousand pounds) on a single pile. You could add as many piles as necessary to hold the load and place them any number of ways or sizes to match any design. I could probably put in all piles required in a month for about 1 mil. In the grand scheme, very insignificant part of the project.  (If you want to see these piles, search for the Jumbotron thread covering the install. I posted pics in there of the same piles.  These piles hold up power plants and skyscrapers. A stadium upper deck weighs next to nothing in comparison. 

On ‎4‎/‎7‎/‎2017 at 9:15 PM, FoundationEagle said:

The north end zone would require a "deep foundation" or support piles or piers either drilled or driven into bedrock. After that, you can build up with metal beams and float the thing in mid air if desired. I just recently ran a load test of 750kips (750 thousand pounds) on a single pile. You could add as many piles as necessary to hold the load and place them any number of ways or sizes to match any design. I could probably put in all piles required in a month for about 1 mil. In the grand scheme, very insignificant part of the project.  (If you want to see these piles, search for the Jumbotron thread covering the install. I posted pics in there of the same piles.  These piles hold up power plants and skyscrapers. A stadium upper deck weighs next to nothing in comparison. 

Sweet. I appreciate the insight!

• 2 weeks later...

Survey was sent out to TUF donors asking if they'd be willing to pay up to $2K for "access" to this club lounge ... would include food and sodas but not alcohol (cash bar).  This is in addition to TUF and cost of tickets.  Tough sell, IMO.

2 hours ago, RunInRed said:

Survey was sent out to TUF donors asking if they'd be willing to pay up to $2K for "access" to this club lounge ... would include food and sodas but not alcohol (cash bar).  This is in addition to TUF and cost of tickets.  Tough sell, IMO.

I hope more than enough people say "yes" instead of "no". 

• 2 weeks later...

Seems like we're more worried that we must have the biggest scoreboards than adding more seats. In the next few years, we'll have Penn State and California and other teams from the power 5 conferenses coming to Jordan-Hare Stadium. Shouldn't Jacobs and others start making major plans about adding seats since we're finally scheduling bigger name teams? A lot more fans are gonna want to come to Auburn and watch us play these powerful teams.

33 minutes ago, auburn4ever said:

Seems like we're more worried that we must have the biggest scoreboards than adding more seats. In the next few years, we'll have Penn State and California and other teams from the power 5 conferenses coming to Jordan-Hare Stadium. Shouldn't Jacobs and others start making major plans about adding seats since we're finally scheduling bigger name teams? A lot more fans are gonna want to come to Auburn and watch us play these powerful teams.

Yep

1 hour ago, auburn4ever said:

I think the most important thing is just improving the facility. Something definitely needs to be done with that eye-sore scoreboard that currently is at the north endzone. But does this completely negate any sort of renderings that were released just recently of the renovations to the end zone? A lot more needs to be done other than just slapping up another scoreboard. 

On ‎4‎/‎6‎/‎2017 at 0:22 PM, Win4AU said:

I've said this before but the Jumbotron was terribly executed.  I sat in section 15 for 5 seasons and never had a problem seeing a video or replay.  My last season in section 15 the scoreboard was almost sitting in my seat.  I couldn't see squat not could the couple thousand people around me.  Either it wasn't thought through or they just decided to screw everyone in the top sections of the south end zone.

I feel your pain, but in my opinion is the new scoreboard (excluding execution) was probably one of he best investments I've seen to the stadium is quite some time. Now every seat in the upper decks, north endzone, and sidelines are better seats. I believe he scoreboard will pay for itself with increase sales in the upper deck alone. Plus it's the bling that potential athletes look for on recruiting trips.

Simple solution, move the visitors and band seating to under the gaint score board.  Unless it's a big game, those seats are never full. Don't blame anyone, I won't sit there either. I moved over to the NEZ section, best of both worlds.  

Now I get it people say, well our players run out of the tunnel and the visitors and their would be there. Build a new locker room in the NEZ, have the players run out from there, give visiting team the current locker room. (I don't know if that is on the plan or not already, it might be?)

I figure the big board is why they are adding box seats and not a second tier.  The rich and hard of sight alums can pay for A/C, catering and a great view of the big board. $$$$$

But hell what do I know. I buy my Coke pour in my bourbon and enjoy the game. 

If we go with the new renderings, there's too much open space in the 4 corners. Why couldn't they close those corners with more seats.

49 minutes ago, auburn4ever said:

If we go with the new renderings, there's too much open space in the 4 corners. Why couldn't they close those corners with more seats.

Unless you have season tickets and attend every game or have unsuccessfully attempted to attend every game at JHS due to sell outs, hush about adding more seats. 

I have the right keep talking about add more seats. No one is forcing to read my posts. Besides, after we start playing bigger name teams (Penn State and Cal), I bet even you will cry out and say why can't we add more seats because more fans wants to come, but we don't have enough seats.

1 hour ago, auburn4ever said:

I have the right keep talking about add more seats. No one is forcing to read my posts. Besides, after we start playing bigger name teams (Penn State and Cal), I bet even you will cry out and say why can't we add more seats because more fans wants to come, but we don't have enough seats.

It's been explained to you over and over that the COST to add the seats you keep yammering about is not recoverable selling out 2 games every other year.  NO, the games you mention won't matter either because they are one home game.  That isn't going to pay for any seat addition.   We need to CONSISTENTLY sell out the seats we have before we even consider adding more.   Selling out every seat for 2 games every 2 years isn't enough.  More seats are NOT needed. Adding more seats would be the absolute stupidest thing we could possibly do right now.

On 4/6/2017 at 11:15 AM, corchjay said:

Come up with a real plan. Stop the bandaid stuff.  We don't need to "bowl in" the entire stadium we don't need more seats.  Just dress up the stadium.  Change the seating.  Add seats instead of bleachers in some areas.  Add sky boxes on the west stands.  Put press on one end of the stadium and a matching recruiting area on the other in matching infrastructure.  Move the giant TV on top of one of those and put an interactive better score board above the other new infrastructure.  Add in fan amenities.  Cell phone charging areas.  Dedicated Hot spots guaranteed to provide a true high speed wifi experience for phones and tablets.  More restrooms, more concession, more tvs under the stadium.  

Everybody gets to gripe. 

15 hours ago, auburn4ever said:

Nah, every game I've wanted to attend over the last 20 years I've had absolutely zero problems getting tickets. At this point I'm not overly anxious that I won't be able to get the tickets I need in the future. 

Archived