aubiefifty

Renderings of stadium renovation

60 posts in this topic

12 hours ago, Auburnfan91 said:

The reason for replacing the old scoreboard was because the parts we needed for the scoreboard were no longer being made, so the scoreboard became obsolete. 

That was the main reason, I'm sure.  Another, was that the fan base was disgruntled from losing 4 of our last 5 games at the end of 2014 and Administration knew they had to find a diversion tactic to ease our unrest.  The giant AubieTron did the trick for a short stint, until the team went on to finish the regular season 6-6 in 2015 resulting in the B'ham toilet bowl.

Back to the OP.....I have no issue with the plans for renovation, if it enhances JHS and the program as a whole, then get it done.  It's long over due and there's no need to sit back any longer while other programs are make sure they are on a steady pace to stay ahead of the pack.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites




1 hour ago, SaltyTiger said:

With you on that. Interesting, do not know if it was ever public knowledge that in the late 80's or early 90's a group of local businessmen and investors presented a similar look revitalizing the north end zone. That plan incorporated a parking deck with club seating, etc... They made a similar proposal to the University that the Hotel and Conference developers did. Operate for profit X years and then give to the University. I had a rendering of it at one time and can not recall what became of it.  

A parking deck no longer seems feasible over there now. If they were to make one, it would have to be very narrow and very tall. That won't happen anymore though since they have the parking deck on the other side of the stadium by the baseball field. I really hope that these plans come to fruition! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, keesler said:

That was the main reason, I'm sure.  Another, was that the fan base was disgruntled from losing 4 of our last 5 games at the end of 2014 and Administration knew they had to find a diversion tactic to ease our unrest.  The giant AubieTron did the trick for a short stint, until the team went on to finish the regular season 6-6 in 2015 resulting in the B'ham toilet bowl.

Back to the OP.....I have no issue with the plans for renovation, if it enhances JHS and the program as a whole, then get it done.  It's long over due and there's no need to sit back any longer while other programs are make sure they are on a steady pace to stay ahead of the pack.

 

I find it hard to argue that this renovation is not a good thing for Auburn and recruiting. I understand how some people don't like the "unbalanced" feel that it will bring to the stadium, but symmetry to a stadium is not what brings appeal to top-tier recruits. Personally, I think I will like the unbalanced feeling. I think it gives it a touch of uniqueness. Plus, there's no argument that the facility will not be as nice as any other in the league. With the moving of the press boxes comes the replacing of the sideline press boxes and the addition of club level seating. The BoT votes today on the $12 million dollar renovation to that area. And when the north end zone is renovated, Auburn will have a plethora of top-tier club level seating. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, logan adams said:

Is it still a plan in the works to put screens on the backside of the jumbotron? 

I'm not sure if that's still the plan, but if it is, they need to hurry up and do it, because I see that thing everyday and it looks ugly and uncompleted. This will be season 3 with our fancy new scoreboard being an eyesore from the back, and no speak of any plan in the future to fix it. If you aren't going to do the screens, clad the dang thing up and let it go for a few seasons until the funds come in. But don't just let it sit there and look all incomplete for 3 years.

Edited by AuCivilEng1
3 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm going to take a look this weekend, but I'm under the impression that the north end zone renovation is going to be a ton of work just due to the existing landscape it's sitting on. There's no way to really expand out any more than we have so everything needs to be built "up" and re-arranged.

I personally like the renderings of the south end zone. My one complaint will be that some of those picturesque sunsets from the stadium view will be marred by the new press box. lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

I'm not sure if that's still the plan, but if it is, they need to hurry up and do it, because I see that thing everyday and it looks ugly and uncompleted. This will be season 3 with our fancy new scoreboard being an eyesore from the back, and no speak of any plan in the future to fix it. If you aren't going to do the screens, clad the dang thing up and let it go for a few seasons until the funds come in. But don't just let it sit there and look all incomplete for 3 years.

It can't cost too much to clean up the back of that thing and give it a finished look.  

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Linayus said:

I'm going to take a look this weekend, but I'm under the impression that the north end zone renovation is going to be a ton of work just due to the existing landscape it's sitting on. There's no way to really expand out any more than we have so everything needs to be built "up" and re-arranged.

I personally like the renderings of the south end zone. My one complaint will be that some of those picturesque sunsets from the stadium view will be marred by the new press box. lol

The north end zone would require a "deep foundation" or support piles or piers either drilled or driven into bedrock. After that, you can build up with metal beams and float the thing in mid air if desired. I just recently ran a load test of 750kips (750 thousand pounds) on a single pile. You could add as many piles as necessary to hold the load and place them any number of ways or sizes to match any design. I could probably put in all piles required in a month for about 1 mil. In the grand scheme, very insignificant part of the project.  (If you want to see these piles, search for the Jumbotron thread covering the install. I posted pics in there of the same piles.  These piles hold up power plants and skyscrapers. A stadium upper deck weighs next to nothing in comparison. 

5 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎4‎/‎7‎/‎2017 at 9:15 PM, FoundationEagle said:

The north end zone would require a "deep foundation" or support piles or piers either drilled or driven into bedrock. After that, you can build up with metal beams and float the thing in mid air if desired. I just recently ran a load test of 750kips (750 thousand pounds) on a single pile. You could add as many piles as necessary to hold the load and place them any number of ways or sizes to match any design. I could probably put in all piles required in a month for about 1 mil. In the grand scheme, very insignificant part of the project.  (If you want to see these piles, search for the Jumbotron thread covering the install. I posted pics in there of the same piles.  These piles hold up power plants and skyscrapers. A stadium upper deck weighs next to nothing in comparison. 

Sweet. I appreciate the insight!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Survey was sent out to TUF donors asking if they'd be willing to pay up to $2K for "access" to this club lounge ... would include food and sodas but not alcohol (cash bar).  This is in addition to TUF and cost of tickets.  Tough sell, IMO.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, RunInRed said:

Survey was sent out to TUF donors asking if they'd be willing to pay up to $2K for "access" to this club lounge ... would include food and sodas but not alcohol (cash bar).  This is in addition to TUF and cost of tickets.  Tough sell, IMO.

I hope more than enough people say "yes" instead of "no". 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now