Sign in to follow this  
RunInRed

2017 Fall Camp - Mon, Aug 7 (Scrimmage)

Recommended Posts

33 minutes ago, ValleyTiger said:

Yeah. It'd be great if Gus & co. would release scrimmage stats. I mean what in the hell would THAT hurt? Nothing, but it'd sure be appreciated. 

You could also ask, what would it help? Scrimmage stats are meaningless without context. Hell, stats in general are meaningless without context.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites




44 minutes ago, WDEKC said:

You could also ask, what would it help? Scrimmage stats are meaningless without context. Hell, stats in general are meaningless without context.

Good point. I just remember back in the Tubs days (& before) scrimmage stats were always released. Hell, the public and beat reporters could walk up and watch. 

All the coaches worried about espionage or whatever are restricting access and telling reporters what they can and cannot disclose these days is just too paranoid if you ask me.

IMO if they kept that full disclosure relationship with the media and fans, they wouldn't get that knee jerk overreaction if you shat the bed, ala 2015 Auburn and JJ.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, ValleyTiger said:

Good point. I just remember back in the Tubs days (& before) scrimmage stats were always released. Hell, the public and beat reporters could walk up and watch. 

All the coaches worried about espionage or whatever are restricting access and telling reporters what they can and cannot disclose these days is just too paranoid if you ask me.

IMO if they kept that full disclosure relationship with the media and fans, they wouldn't get that knee jerk overreaction if you shat the bed, ala 2015 Auburn and JJ.

Here's a good read on why they are so paranoid.  Lots of crazy things that teams will do to get information on you.

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/20272932/college-football-coaches-paranoia-knows-no-bounds

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

Here's a good read on why they are so paranoid.  Lots of crazy things that teams will do to get information on you.

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/20272932/college-football-coaches-paranoia-knows-no-bounds

Can't follow the link at work for some reason, but I'd counter with every NFL team having practice open to media, fans, the Russians, whomever. No matter how tightly wrapped they try to keep things, stuff is still getting out. Exhibit A, the Cox Cat. Tell me how the hell did Brent Venables "hear" we were repping that scheme in practice.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, WFE12 said:

I would not be mad at this lineup at all. 

Neither would I.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, ValleyTiger said:

Can't follow the link at work for some reason, but I'd counter with every NFL team having practice open to media, fans, the Russians, whomever. No matter how tightly wrapped they try to keep things, stuff is still getting out. Exhibit A, the Cox Cat. Tell me how the hell did Brent Venables "hear" we were repping that scheme in practice.

Well only the first couple of weeks of training camp are open in the NFL, which is not a biggie since that's all basics.  They certainly don't open up game week prep to the media.  

It's also different in college ball because you have such limited time with the players and every game counts, whereas in the NFL you get meaningless pre-season games to work out the roster + unlimited time in the facility.  College teams do use time in the summer to scheme ahead for opponents.  I can guarantee you we are already doing some work here and there on Clemson, even if it's just a little bit each week.  No reason to tip your hand.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ValleyTiger said:

Can't follow the link at work for some reason, but I'd counter with every NFL team having practice open to media, fans, the Russians, whomever. No matter how tightly wrapped they try to keep things, stuff is still getting out. Exhibit A, the Cox Cat. Tell me how the hell did Brent Venables "hear" we were repping that scheme in practice.

check the article out. it's pretty wild.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/8/2017 at 9:25 PM, passthebiscuits said:

the plays were vanilla and it seemed like we ran the same plays over and over getting a sense of check downs.

Then it wasn't really a scrimmage was it?  More like a practice in the stadium.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, oracle79 said:

Then it wasn't really a scrimmage was it?  More like a practice in the stadium.

I always thought a practice was different than game-like situations. I thought that was called a scrimmage. I think a team can scrimmage in a practice facility or a stadium. 

But that's just me. 

 

Edited by passthebiscuits

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, passthebiscuits said:

I always thought a practice was different than game-like situations.

Agreed.  Doesn't matter where you practice or hold a scrimmage, but Auburn has always held scrimmages in JHS it seems anyway.  I always thought you didn't continue to rerun plays in a game like situation or scrimmage, but I guess if I go back and look at GM's play calling, maybe this was more game like, since we always seem to run up the middle on first down or run the exact same play on a hurry up schedule.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this