Al Del Greco on WJOX

doverstutts

27 minutes ago, AUIH1 said:

I knew who Del Greco is and that he is radio talk show host in Birmingham.  I was at AU from 1981-1986.  I was just simply asking whether his opinion meant anything beyond having a radio show.   Your opinion is that he has Pat Dye's ear.  That is what I wanted to know.  

wde

I think that's a reasonable question...and another is...does it really take a former player to let trustees know what is going on..or can they see it with their own eyes?

Mostly I don't put much credit to what they say.....sometimes they are too close to the program to be objective...either way.....too critical or too or sometimes too friendly.      A little distance sometimes helps with objectivity and also recognition that football is not the only thing going on at Auburn.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, AUIH1 said:

I am sure this will make you again go full tilt towards stupid and irrational, but the less influence that Pat Dye has on our football program in 2017, the better it is for AU.  Pat Dye's influence (and those loyal to him) is a big reason we are in the position we are in today (Jay Jacobs being the AD).

wde

Personally, I think the less influence anyone other than the head coach has on the football program, the better it is for Auburn.

I have heard all sorts of rumors of PTB/booster meddling over the years.  Of course, I lack the connections to know to what extent they are true, if at all.  However, it always struck me as comically stupid to do so.  I can understand meddling (like Jetgate) to oust a coach if he has done something pants on head stupid (like Nallsminger or Clemson 2016).  Any meddling beyond that seemed so obviously counterproductive that I took such rumors with a grain of salt.  That said, this entire paragraph could be irrelevant, as I lack the connections to know one way or the other.

7 hours ago, DKW 86 said:

:blink:Did you really ask that out loud?

NFL Star, and One of the most beloved AU Players ever, radio personality, member of the media, but of course, he hasnt quite attained your status of Royal Rogue Booster on a Internet Message Board....

<smgdh>

This reaction was over the top and not necessary. 

3 hours ago, doc4aday said:

if Clemson shuts down Louisville come Saturday and holds them under 300 yards, I will feel just a few percentage points better. Not much though.  Saturday was the worst performance I have ever seen from an Auburn team in memory.

It was bad but there has been much worse. Remember 2012? 

5 hours ago, AUIH1 said:

I get that he has influence in the minds of the AU faithful.  I am asking does he have influence with the decision makers at AU?

wde

If the decision makers aren't a part of the AU faithful...then that's probably why we are suxing on offense,

3 minutes ago, CountStandya said:

If the decision makers aren't a part of the AU faithful...then that's probably why we are suxing on offense,

Do you consider Jay Jacobs, Pat Dye and the PTB that hired Chizik and Gus part of the AU faithful?  I do.

This has nothing to do with my original question regarding ADG by the way.  I was merely asking if ADG was really connected beyond being a voice on the radio and a former player.

wde

2 hours ago, AUIH1 said:

Also, if you have paid attention to my posting history, you would know that I have no problem being very critical of AU legends when that is my opinion.  If I was going to put him down for his opinion, I would not have asked a question.

wde

I knew all that when you started in...That is why i read your comments the way I did. I may not like CPD, and the PTB Meddling, but they do. It has long been established that we do not know everything when it comes to how the BOT etc thinks. Having said all that ADG has a long well established record as a gentleman and a level headed member of the AU Family. He would not be making any comments unless there was a very high degree of support from somewhere. 

Just now, DKW 86 said:

I knew all that when you started in...

Then why did you think I was taking a shot at ADG then?  If I thought his opinion was not worth anything beyond what he said on the radio, I would have said so.    

wde

4 hours ago, doc4aday said:

if Clemson shuts down Louisville come Saturday and holds them under 300 yards, I will feel just a few percentage points better. Not much though.  Saturday was the worst performance I have ever seen from an Auburn team in memory.

Doc, did you see last year's Clemson game?

At least they had a plan going into the game this year. When it stopped working they had zero answers (and I do mean zero!!!)

1 hour ago, DKW 86 said:

I knew all that when you started in...That is why i read your comments the way I did. I may not like CPD, and the PTB Meddling, but they do. It has long been established that we do not know everything when it comes to how the BOT etc thinks. Having said all that ADG has a long well established record as a gentleman and a level headed member of the AU Family. He would not be making any comments unless there was a very high degree of support from somewhere. 

I never said he was not level headed member of the AU Family or a gentleman (although that doesn't have anything to do with this conversation).  I merely asked if his opinion carried more weight with those who make decision as opposed to mine, yours. Cole Cubelic's, etc. 

I know CPD and the PTB meddle.  If, according to you, Del Greco is being a Pat Dye mouthpiece, I agree that Del Greco is carrying a lot of weight.  I hate it for AU though that Pat Dye still has that much influence in 2017 over the football program.  Of course, Jay Jacobs owes every job he has ever had to Pat Dye, so here we are.

wde

Wow... just ... wow....   gonna be a loooong season fellas....

Reading though this thread devolved into what it was like watching our Offense that second half against Clemson ... Definition of Insanity....

Whirlybird 2.0... Sack-o-matic... sack-0-tron... honk if you sacked Stidham... 

But we have had some good kickers though... am I right??

I agree with the OP that if AL feels the way most of us normally positive folks do, it ain't good...

Archived