ESPN Issues Statement After SportsCenter Anchor Jemele Hill Calls Trump a ‘White Supremacist'

Auburn85

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Auburn85 said:

I should have looked around before I posted the article. My bad.

It's cool. I'm glad there is finally a decent discussion on it. 

Just now, homersapien said:

Ben, don't waste your time with Jeff.  He's mental. 

Because I'm not willing to bury an announcer over a misinterpretation? 

Mmk. 

What is mental is suggesting that one can have moral superiority by deploying atomic bombs. :blink:

I was thinking what a stupid, banal issue - hardly worth consideration - then look who just elevated it to a "national" issue:  

Trump Goes After ESPN Host Who Called Him A ‘White Supremacist’

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/donald-trump-jemele-hill_us_59bbfb5ee4b02da0e1418377?ncid=inblnkushpmg00000009

Our "reality show" president knows a trending topic when he sees one.  And has time to jump on it!

9 minutes ago, homersapien said:

I was thinking what a stupid, banal issue - hardly worth consideration - then look who just elevated it to a "national" issue:  

Trump Goes After ESPN Host Who Called Him A ‘White Supremacist’

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/donald-trump-jemele-hill_us_59bbfb5ee4b02da0e1418377?ncid=inblnkushpmg00000009

Our "reality show" president knows a trending topic when he sees one.  And has time to jump on it!

So where exactly did Trump "attack" the host or even "go after it?"

3 hours ago, aujeff11 said:

You're jumping to conclusions. You said he should have apologized. I said he did...even if he did so reluctantly. Whether he believes he should have apologized is another story. He probably doesn't think he should've apologized for something when he knows he didn't have a guilty mind nor a guilty act. (Innocent mind + homophone misinterpretation.  Even with all that said, he still apologized and he is still untouchable because ESPN let him become labeled as racist. 

Sincerity is important. It was a "that came out wrong" moment. That he can't admit he did something wrong, rather than insinuating it's other people's fault for calling it what is is, a slur, is laughable. 

That anyone buys that "guerrilla" bull**** is also laughable to me. One ad in the mid 90s that has nothing to do with any sort of tactics (featuring Agassi and Sampras playing in random locations, for God's sake) is his proof that it is a team of art? Hilarious.

Do me a favor. Find the use of that term in any other context. I've been watching the sport regularly for half a decade. An uncle (by marriage) is actually a former pro and teaches these days (look up Mir Rahim). Never heard it used in that context before. S&V is anything but a guerrilla tactic. It's a display of dominance the way Venus was using it. There was no luring into a trap. It was telling her opponent"I'm going to whip your ass straight up." That is the last thing one would call guerrilla tactics. 

Who said anything about overwhelming force? Pot meet kettle.

Guerrilla warfare is enacted in the face of it.

Aggressive charges are needed in ambush as well. You don't know s*** about ambushes dude.

Go look up the definition of ambush. I'll wait.

Lol. You're out of your damn mind. 

Notice I preface everything with "could," "if" or "I imagine." You state it as if it was fact. 

What do I think? I think he said gorilla. I think he meant gorilla. I don't think he meant anything racist by it. I think he brain farted and forgot he was ascribing those traits to a black woman. It was a gaffe. I don't think he should have been fired over it, but he's dug a hell of a hole after the fact that makes it seem like it wasn't such a bad decision in hindsight.

24 minutes ago, Bigbens42 said:

What do I think? I think he said gorilla. I think he meant gorilla. I don't think he meant anything racist by it. I think he brain farted and forgot he was ascribing those traits to a black woman. It was a gaffe. I don't think he should have been fired over it, but he's dug a hell of a hole after the fact that makes it seem like it wasn't such a bad decision in hindsight.

After reading up on this (I wasn't aware of this situation before), I agree, both that he said "gorilla" and that he wasn't being racist.  He just messed up because it's just one of those things you cannot say about a black person given that term's history with black people.  He should have just said that at the time and I think it would have blown over.

20 minutes ago, Bigbens42 said:

Sincerity is important. It was a "that came out wrong" moment. That he can't admit he did something wrong, rather than insinuating it's other people's fault for calling it what is is, a slur, is laughable.

Why should he have to admit to saying Guerilla effect? Because it's pronunciation offended some sensitive twitter users? He did bow to the pressure and apologize, despite his reluctance, and ESPN fired him anyway. 

That anyone buys that "guerrilla" bull**** is also laughable to me. One ad in the mid 90s that has nothing to do with any sort of tactics (featuring Agassi and Sampras playing in random locations, for God's sake) is his proof that it is a team of art? Hilarious.

An African American, avid Tennis fan, and New York Mayor David Dinkens didn't think it could be interpreted any other way. It's quite comical that nobody on this planet nobody knows what he meant to say except for you as well.

It's also laughable that you are trying to teach a former infantrymen which used to do battle drills in his sleep on the intricacies and details of ambush. Literally my whole basic and AIT taught only 3 core principles: shoot, move, communicate. 

It's a display of dominance the way Venus was using it. There was no luring into a trap. It was telling her opponent"I'm going to whip your ass straight up." 

Speed, surprise, and violence of action, are all characteristics of an acceptable ambush, whether it be far or near, hasty or deliberate. Straight up whipping the opponent and/or charging  the opponent may or may not be involved. 

That is the last thing one would call guerrilla tactics. 

You couldn't spot Guerilla tactics even if they hit you in your f****** forehead.

That's literally the reason guerrilla warfare is enacted. 

Enacted? Seriously, noob?? 

What do I think? I think he said gorilla. I think he meant gorilla. I don't think he meant anything racist by it. I think he brain farted and forgot he was ascribing those traits to a black woman.

"I think" sounds a lot better than 

That anyone buys that "guerrilla" bull**** is also laughable to me

....Just saying. You're still wrong but helluva lot less confrontational with it. How in the heck does a competent and respected person forget he's ascribing a black person to a "gorilla" on live TV?  You're doing nothing more than jumping to conclusions when saying otherwise. 

I'm not sure what makes you think he dug " a hell of a hole" after the fact. He did the broadcast, found out a day later about the outrage, ESPN told him that they knew he meant "Guerilla," and asked him to apologize on the air a day later which he did.  He was then removed from assignment and fired shortly after. There was literally nothing more he could have done to rescue his job. The mob of uneducated public opinion jumped on the issue for the kill just like it was another lifeless confederate statue. 

14 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

After reading up on this (I wasn't aware of this situation before), I agree, both that he said "gorilla" and that he wasn't being racist.  He just messed up because it's just one of those things you cannot say about a black person given that term's history with black people.  He should have just said that at the time and I think it would have blown over.

Yeah, because it makes so much sense to call a black woman a gorilla while praising her skills. And as you can see here, he was as good as gone as soon as soon as the story leaked to Twitter.

Adler said he didn’t know anything was amiss for more than 24 hours after the broadcast and even called more Australian Open matches before his bosses at ESPN replayed the video for him and his partner in the booth, asking if they noticed anything odd about the video.

When both said they hadn’t, Adler was told by his executive producer that his comment had “gone viral.”

“They told me the Twitter world had basically started labeling me as a racist,” Adler said.

Adler said he was asked to apologize by the network and reluctantly complied, though he said the apology he wrote was deemed unfit and was rewritten by others at the network. In his apology, Adler said he “simply and inadvertently chose the wrong word to describe (Williams’) play.”

When he read the statement on-air, Adler said he was told by his executive producer to continue calling the match. But the director of the broadcast refused to allow him to join the broadcast.

The next afternoon, Adler received a call from his producer with news that he was fired.

3 hours ago, aujeff11 said:

Well said. 

Why should I care what a random vlogger on the internet thinks? 

Just now, Bigbens42 said:

Why should I care what a random blogger on the internet thinks? 

Because the random blogger isn't jumping to conclusions, perhaps?  

https://www.google.com/amp/s/ethicsalarms.com/2017/03/20/the-destruction-of-doug-adler-guerillas-gorillas-espn-and-the-first-niggardly-principle/amp/

Another great article. Can't wait to hear Ben's pathetic excuses for why he "thinks" what he thinks.

22 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

Because the random blogger isn't jumping to conclusions, perhaps?  

Did you even watch the video? 

6 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/ethicsalarms.com/2017/03/20/the-destruction-of-doug-adler-guerillas-gorillas-espn-and-the-first-niggardly-principle/amp/

Another great article. Can't wait to hear Ben's pathetic excuses for why he "thinks" what he thinks.

I'll admit, when I first heard about this I thought it might be a misunderstanding on the order of somebody misinterpreting the word niggardly or renege. With more context, I don't believe that's the case. He gaffed, badly. 

EDIT: And everyone dial back the personal attacks. This isn't the smack talk forum. 

1 minute ago, Bigbens42 said:

Did you even watch the video? 

I appreciate you for not jumping to conclusions this time but,  yes.

100% of the time when I share links, I review them...

Just now, aujeff11 said:

I appreciate you for not jumping to conclusions this time but,  yes.

100% of the time when I share links, I review them...

She's a walking advertisement for the jump to conclusions mat. 

11 minutes ago, Bigbens42 said:

I'll admit, when I first heard about this I thought it might be a misunderstanding on the order of somebody misinterpreting the word niggardly or renege. With more context, I don't believe that's the case. He gaffed, badly. 

EDIT: And everyone dial back the personal attacks. This isn't the smack talk forum. 

Personal attacks ? Do you even remember your unhinged rants on the bomb thread that ended up with egg on your face? 

His partner, nobody, could spot the Gaff.. even after reviewing the tape. But yet, you're so certain he gaffed. ? His own bosses didn't even think he gaffed. 

Adler says his bosses assured him that they understood that he had used the word “guerilla,” not “gorilla,” and he thought the incident was finished. He was eating lunch in the ESPN lounge the next day when his boss dropped by his table, Adler told Fox News. The ESPN exec said the allegation that Adler used a racist slur to describe Venus Williams was “all over” the social media, so he was ordering Adler to apologize for his non-slur on the air.

14 minutes ago, Bigbens42 said:

She's a walking advertisement for the jump to conclusions mat. 

You can grab a dictionary if you don't believe her. 

guerilla:

guerrilla

Definition of guerrilla

:of, relating to, or suggestive of guerrillas especially in being aggressive, radical, or unconventional  
  • guerrilla warfare

Looks fine to me and fits within context ??

44 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

Why should he have to admit to saying Guerilla effect? Because it's pronunciation offended some sensitive twitter users? He did bow to the pressure and apologize, despite his reluctance, and ESPN fired him anyway. 

He shouldn't have exhibited reluctance. In the face of a **** up, admit you ****** up and move on. He's still blaming others for "misunderstanding" him.

An African American, avid Tennis fan, and New York Mayor David Dinkens didn't think it could be interpreted any other way. It's quite comical that nobody on this planet nobody knows what he meant to say except for you as well.

Good. He has an ally. Doesn't mean anything, but good for him. 

It's also laughable that you are trying to teach a former infantrymen which used to do battle drills in his sleep on the intricacies and details of ambush. Literally my whole basic and AIT taught only 3 core principles: shoot, move, communicate. 

This is the courtier's reply. Again, go look up the dictionary definition of ambush. 

Speed, surprise, and violence of action, are all characteristics of an acceptable ambush, whether it be far or near, hasty or deliberate. Straight up whipping the opponent and/or charging  the opponent may or may not be involved. 

The key element of any ambush is surprise, which isn't Venus's game at all. Even at 37, she's still extremely powerful and the only way that catches you by surprise is if you've been under a rock for the last 2 decades. 

You couldn't spot Guerilla tactics even if they hit you in your f****** forehead.

Courtier's reply again. 

Enacted? Seriously, noob?? 

Yes. Guerilla warfare is a thing because it's not possible to defeat your opponent in a straight fight. The dictionary definition:

Guerrilla warfare

is a form of irregular warfare in which a small group of combatants, such as paramilitary personnel, armed civilians, or irregulars, use military tactics including ambushes, sabotage, raids, petty warfare, hit-and-run tactics, and mobility to fight a larger and less mobile traditional military

"I think" sounds a lot better than 

The "to me" there is important. Still waiting for that example.

....Just saying. You're still wrong but helluva lot less confrontational with it. How in the heck does a competent and respected person forget he's ascribing a black person to a "gorilla" on live TV?  You're doing nothing more than jumping to conclusions when saying otherwise. 

Because there are examples unnumbered of smart people saying racist stuff? Remember Cuomo telling President Obama he knew how to shuck and jive? Same scenario.

I'm not sure what makes you think he dug " a hell of a hole" after the fact.

He's suing the network, and his sophistry in the suit is pretty laughable. 

He did the broadcast, found out a day later about the outrage, ESPN told him that they knew he meant "Guerilla," 

Source the bolded portion, please.

and asked him to apologize on the air a day later which he did

And by the sound of it there may have been some arm twisting involved. 

He was then removed from assignment and fired shortly after. There was literally nothing more he could have done to rescue his job.

Contrition probably would have helped. Reluctance in that scenario isn't a good quality. 

The mob of uneducated public opinion jumped on the issue for the kill just like it was another lifeless confederate statue. 

I do agree that folks get outraged way too easily these days.

21 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

You can grab a dictionary if you don't believe her. 

guerilla:

guerrilla

Definition of guerrilla

:of, relating to, or suggestive of guerrillas especially in being aggressive, radical, or unconventional  
  • guerrilla warfare

Looks fine to me and fits within context ??

You're cherry picking. The adjective form? 

Here it is as a noun:

a person who engages in irregular warfare especially as a member of an independent unit carrying out harassment and sabotage

And from Brittanica.

The broad strategy underlying successful guerrilla warfare is that of protracted harassment accomplished by extremely subtle, flexible tactics designed to wear down the enemy.

You're playing too fast and loose with the English language. 

34 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

Personal attacks ? Do you even remember your unhinged rants on the bomb thread that ended up with egg on your face? 

I remember you embarrassing yourself for 10 pages before I decided to ignore you. Looking like I might be doing so again here soon.

His partner, nobody, could spot the Gaff.. even after reviewing the tape. But yet, you're so certain he gaffed. ? His own bosses didn't even think he gaffed. 

Twitter didn't jump him for no reason. Whatever the guy that spotted its motive was, it happened. And again, source the claim regarding his bosses. 

2 minutes ago, Bigbens42 said:

He shouldn't have exhibited reluctance.

Picking at nits bere. He wasn't fired because he was reluctant to apologize, or your prior assertion, because he didn't apologize. Anybody with half a brain can see that ESPN is going to fire anybody that creates any opposition that completely contradicts their own political climate, even if the contradiction is derived by misinterpretation.

7 minutes ago, Bigbens42 said:

Guerrilla warfare

Venus wasn't sporting a 240 Bravo or an M4. You're completely attributing the wrong definition.... WTF? Pretty sure my defintion by Merriam Webster was more appropriate.

13 minutes ago, Bigbens42 said:

Source the bolded portion, please.

I already linked this one and it says the same thing as the bolded portion.... 

19 minutes ago, Bigbens42 said:

He's suing the network, and his sophistry in the suit is pretty laughable. 

He's already fired. And he has a scarlet R for racist on his f****** resume. I'd be suing too. 

21 minutes ago, Bigbens42 said:

Contrition probably would have helped. Reluctance in that scenario isn't a good quality. 

Your whole argument seems to be pure speculation at this point. 

Archived