SEC football lacking good coaches

gr82b4au

LSU did fire a coach that won 80% of his games just because he couldn't beat Saban.  

And the large amount of money spent on the SEC programs( probably trying to keep up with Saban) is shortening the leash on the coaches as the fanbases expect results from the investments right away. 

I blame a lot of it on Saban's dominance.

40 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

LSU did fire a coach that won 80% of his games just because he couldn't beat Saban.  

And the large amount of money spent on the SEC programs( probably trying to keep up with Saban) is shortening the leash on the coaches as the fanbases expect results from the investments right away. 

Somewhat similar for UGA. Perennial 10-game per season winner Mark Richt was fired because he lost winnable games, did not win the East when he should have, and couldn't beat Bama when he did.

If Bama's DC Kirby Smart was not a UGA grad, they may not have been as eager to replace Richt, fearing they would end up with another similar coach. Saban envy, and the prospect of hiring Saban's "Mini-Me" was a huge factor.

For the last few years , every new SEC coach has been a step down .   In my view, no SEC school has really improved their positions....maybe not at all...but certainly  by very much... and I'm of the view that things will continue that way until Saban is gone. 

Not saying that some school won't get lucky and find a diamond in the rough but that's what any school will be doing...just hoping to get lucky with a coach from a lower level school.   Lots of schools apparently have their eye on Chip Kelly but he will have better and safer opportunities elsewhere.

It's all thanks to Saban. Schools used to be fine with the coaches they had because there would be different teams having good years regularly, rather than just one dominant force. The SEC is weaker now than it ever has been, but has the strongest program its ever had too.

21 hours ago, meh130 said:

Somewhat similar for UGA. Perennial 10-game per season winner Mark Richt was fired because he lost winnable games, did not win the East when he should have, and couldn't beat Bama when he did.

If Bama's DC Kirby Smart was not a UGA grad, they may not have been as eager to replace Richt, fearing they would end up with another similar coach. Saban envy, and the prospect of hiring Saban's "Mini-Me" was a huge factor.

Yeah, jury is still out on Kirby. He will pick up momentum this year however, because Georgia's schedule is a joke. I still think they will drop a game that they shouldn't. They will lay an egg against Florida, or Tenn. Can MSU put together two back to back performances like this week? I certainly hope so. Would make my weekend if they curb stomp the mutts this week. 

Losing Richt and Miles coupled with Gus and Sumlin flaming out are really hurting the conference. We don't have any rock star coaches anymore in the league and the play on the field reflects that. The worst part about it is we can't seem to take advantage.

Just now, Tiger said:

Losing Richt and Miles coupled with Gus and Sumlin flaming out are really hurting the conference. We don't have any rock star coaches anymore in the league and the play on the field reflects that. The worst part about it is we can't seem to take advantage.

Can't forget that we lost Urban Meyer as well. What would it be like if he was still at Florida?

Just now, aujeff11 said:

Can't forget that we lost Urban Meyer as well. What would it be like if he was still at Florida?

Yup good call. Just this power group of Saban/Urban/Miles/Richt was or would be enough to carry the SEC's reputation + guys who had fast starts with Gus/Sumlin/Freeze but that ship as completely sailed lol

1 hour ago, Tiger said:

Yup good call. Just this power group of Saban/Urban/Miles/Richt was or would be enough to carry the SEC's reputation + guys who had fast starts with Gus/Sumlin/Freeze but that ship as completely sailed lol

Yep .....IMO, every replacement is a step down...at least for several years.   And when Gus, Butch and Kevin are gone, the odds are that their replacements won't do much better either.     The conference is meat grinder and a career dead end these days.....Franklin got out while the getting was good.

On 9/17/2017 at 9:33 AM, aujeff11 said:

It was more than that. Les Miles had let the program slide his last couple of years. LSU hasn't had a 10+ win season since 2013. His SEC record his last 3+ years was a mediocre 15-11. It wasn't just Alabama he wasn't beating. He lost to Arkansas a couple of times, Ole Miss, Miss. State, and Auburn.

I think Kirby and Orgeron are going to be good coaches, they just need time to establish their culture at the programs. It's going to take more than one or two season to do it. As successful as Richt and Miles both were, their programs were very undisciplined and their teams would get a lot of penalties each season.

1 hour ago, Auburnfan91 said:

It was more than that. Les Miles had let the program slide his last couple of years. LSU hasn't had a 10+ win season since 2013. His SEC record his last 3+ years was a mediocre 15-11. It wasn't just Alabama he wasn't beating. He lost to Arkansas a couple of times, Ole Miss, Miss. State, and Auburn.

I think Kirby and Orgeron are going to be good coaches, they just need time to establish their culture at the programs. It's going to take more than one or two season to do it. As successful as Richt and Miles both were, their programs were very undisciplined and their teams would get a lot of penalties each season.

Coach O showed his true colors in the Moo State game with an undisciplined team.  I doubt you'll see that get any better and with the level of talent available to him he's going to get run out of BTR.  I hate it for him, but unless he can control his team he'll be gone after next season. 

Archived