Not only is Auburn better...

jared52

but Coach Sonny Smith is having a banner year as color man for Rod. He is stating to analyze the game more and actually bring his coaching acumen into the broadcast instead of just making cute quips about someone getting hot or something. 

May have to tune in to the broadcast wednesday night.  I gave up listening to the radio broadcast because I couldn't handle listening to sonny Smith.  He just came across as knowing very little about the game [which i know probably isn't the case].  He was just painful to listen too.  If I think about it I'll tune in on Wednesday night.

5 minutes ago, WarTiger said:

May have to tune in to the broadcast wednesday night.  I gave up listening to the radio broadcast because I couldn't handle listening to sonny Smith.  He just came across as knowing very little about the game [which i know probably isn't the case].  He was just painful to listen too.  If I think about it I'll tune in on Wednesday night.

Guess he was out of practice.....there was quite a stretch of time when there wasn't that much to "analyze"..  ...and did sound like he was just drawing his paycheck.

1 hour ago, WarTiger said:

He’s not great, yet, but he has gotten better for sure. 

1 hour ago, WarTiger said:

so, one of the most successful coaches in AU history is beneath your level of expertise, so much that you find it demeaning to listen to him?....this is so ridiculous that its funny...take a pin and stick it in your butt and let the arrogance out...sonny smith is an AU treasure and flushes more basketball knowledge down the toilet than you will ever have

6 minutes ago, doverstutts said:

so, one of the most successful coaches in AU history is beneath your level of expertise, so much that you find it demeaning to listen to him?....this is so ridiculous that its funny...take a pin and stick it in your butt and let the arrogance out...sonny smith is an AU treasure and flushes more basketball knowledge down the toilet than you will ever have

Except until this year, for the most part, he didn’t really analyze the game with coaching knowledge but did color like he was just a fan of Auburn trying to be a hype man. 

1 hour ago, doverstutts said:

7EE8DB51-5CF5-49A5-B653-4E0561289FB0.gif

3 hours ago, doverstutts said:

You’ve obviously never listened to an AU basketball game prior to this year. WT wasn’t criticizing his coaching acumen, but his broadcasting abilities.  

I like Sonny Smith alright.  I’d rather listen to the Auburn broadcast any day over the majority of ESPN announcers.  Except for Fish, he does a great job.

8 hours ago, doverstutts said:

You have your opinion and I have mine.  If you bothered to actually read my post I said he came off that way.  I also said that I didn't believe it was the case.  Guess reading comprehension is lost on you.   Being an AU treasure, though, has nothing to do with knowlege or the delivery (or in his case lack of delivery) of said knowledge.  Jared pointed out very clearly that in the past he rarely offered much of anything other than basic principles to the game, so clearly I'm not the only one that feels this way.   Jared also said he's improved by giving a deeper analysis of the game.  I also said I'll tune in and listen wednesday night to form my own opinion.      For the record, I never claimed to be an "expert" of anything, so take your arrogance comment and shove it.   Take a reading comprehension course before trying to read anything elese here.  It's abundantly clear that you need one.

4 hours ago, WeagleAU said:

I like Sonny Smith alright.  I’d rather listen to the Auburn broadcast any day over the majority of ESPN announcers.  Except for Fish, he does a great job.

Fishback does a terrific job in studio and doing color commentary.  I'm glad the SEC network has him. 

10 hours ago, doverstutts said:

Are you really trying to call someone else out for being arrogant?

3 hours ago, WarTiger said:

Fishback does a terrific job in studio and doing color commentary.  I'm glad the SEC network has him. 

Didn't Fish use to do color on Auburn broadcast?? Not sure 

I enjoy SS a lot on the broadcast. I think less is more though as far as the radio analyst goes. If you've ever listened to a bama game on the radio, their analyst, no idea who it is, is awful. Just talks way too much, and it sounds so scripted or forced. Between him and that Chris Stewart, its like icepicks in the ears. I guess what Im saying is it could be much much worse.

13 hours ago, doverstutts said:

Just because the guy was a great coach or player doesn't mean he's a worth a damn in a broadcast setting.  Knowing the game and knowing how to translate the game to the average listener in real time are two different skill sets.

Great example:  Tim McCarver sucked as the color man for Fox's baseball coverage for years.  But since they've replaced him with John Smoltz, the broadcasts have gotten infinitely better.  Why?  Because Smoltz understands when to chime in and more importantly, how to explain a situation in a concise way so that average fan understands what is going on that they may otherwise not notice.

13 hours ago, doverstutts said:

I think you are overreacting some on his comments. He isn't downing SS, he is just remembering he is not the most polished color analyst, and maybe was giving too much 'Sonny' and not enough analysis. But he was willing to listen again to see if he felt it had gotten better. HAve to give him credit for that.

Now for me...to think that SS is 81 years old and is traveling with the team is amazing to me. He like Pat Dye was, is our oldest memories of a successful program. And Sonny's personality is a hoot. When he was on the air with Wimp was a very colorful time on radio.

So i am going to give Sonny credit for being a part of our BB program still, and giving some better analysis along the way. And it helps that we have a super successful program this year to help out.

Go Sonny...lol.

2 hours ago, Brad_ATX said:

Just because the guy was a great coach or player doesn't mean he's a worth a damn in a broadcast setting.  Knowing the game and knowing how to translate the game to the average listener in real time are two different skill sets.

Great example:  Tim McCarver sucked as the color man for Fox's baseball coverage for years.  But since they've replaced him with John Smoltz, the broadcasts have gotten infinitely better.  Why?  Because Smoltz understands when to chime in and more importantly, how to explain a situation in a concise way so that average fan understands what is going on that they may otherwise not notice.

reminds me a little of gabe gross doing the baseball broadcasts.  i really enjoy him as a part of games.  He also does a good job of limiting discussing his time as an Auburn coach.

Regarding sonny - i keep half expecting him to start heckling the officials mid-broadcast

@WarTiger, have you had a chance to listen? Think Coach is the better or am I just hearing things? He still says, “He hot, get him the basketball too much,” but he still seems better at answering the, “What are we doing,” question with more insight.

On 2/4/2018 at 7:51 PM, AU64 said:

Guess he was out of practice.....there was quite a stretch of time when there wasn't that much to "analyze"..  ...and did sound like he was just drawing his paycheck.

I always kind of thought of it like Ucker doing the Indian games in Major League.

Archived