2019 4* WR Jashawn Sheffield Commits to AU!!!

WFE12

image.png

Offers: AU, Alabama, Clemson, Florida, FSU, Georgia, Georgia Tech, Louisville, LSU, Miami, Michigan, Minnesota, Mississippi State, Nebraska, North Carolina, Ohio State, Ole Miss, Oregon, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, UCLA, Virginia Tech and West Virginia, among others.

Recruiter: Burns (P), Brown (S)

40 Yard Dash: 4.5
Bench: 245
100 Meter Dash: 11
Squat(LBS): 465
Deadlift(LBS): 435

Teammate of 4* CB, AU commit Jaylin Simpson.

Sheffield -- a product of Frederica Academy in Saint Simons Island, Ga. -- is rated as the No. 10 athlete in the 2019 class, the 15th-best player in Georgia and a top-150 prospect in the nation this cycle, according to the 247Sports Composite rankings. He is the second Frederica Academy player to commit to Auburn's 2019 class, joining four-star defensive back Jaylin Simpson, who committed to the Tigers on April 30.

While he can play on either side of the ball, Sheffield likely projects as a safety for Auburn. He would be the first safety in this class for the Tigers, who currently hold commits from a pair of projected corners in Simpson and three-star Saraland prospect Cordale Flott. 

https://www.al.com/auburnfootball/index.ssf/2018/06/jashawn_sheffield_commits_aubu.html#incart_river_mobile_index

DgZ6Zw0VQAAg3Vn.jpg

03D1ED88-0C4F-4D8E-BF46-E1427AABC75D.jpeg

“Great atmosphere. They make me feel like it’s family here. Genuine people, I know they really care. They have a good business program. I just think I’m going to have a good time here. I love it here. I’m happy here,” Sheffield said. “The first time I came here I was very happy to be here. I felt like I was home, I didn’t even want to go home when I got here. This is it. This is over with. This is my home.“

https://www.seccountry.com/auburn/auburn-recruiting-jashawn-sheffield-commits

DgafP2MXkAAeYAB.jpg

E64A7EDB-B3C8-47EB-AC93-071DC055AC46.jpeg

33308862-19D1-494A-A496-FD717A5105C7.jpeg

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Auburn is on top for Jashawn Sheffield after the first visit.

Benjamin Wolk/SEC Country

AUBURN, Ala. — As far as first impressions go, Auburn couldn’t have left a much better one on Jashawn Sheffield.

The 4-star athlete from Frederica Academy (Ga.) ranks as the nation’s No. 101 overall prospects. He’s been heavily recruited throughout his process by Tennessee, South Carolina, Miami and Florida State. Sheffield’s two-day, mid-week visit with high school teammate Jaylin Simpson (more on Simpson shortly) gave him his first on-campus look into the Auburn program.

By the time he left, the Tigers had made their case.

“Right now, visiting Auburn, seeing this, it’s totally different than any other college I’ve ever been. Auburn is No. 1. Just talking to the coaches, 1-on-1 time with them, it wasn’t football all the time. They were talking about after college,” Sheffield said. “It’s great. I love the coaches. I got to spend 1-on-1 time with them. I got to meet the players, see how the coaches coach. They coach their players up very well. They work hard here.”

Sheffield has played multiple positions for his high school — wide receiver, running back, returner and defensive back.

Auburn has recruited him at two positions, and he’s open to either.

Sheffield has been in contact with wide receivers coach Kodi Burns who said the Tigers would “get (him) the ball a lot.” But he’s developed a strong relationship with Auburn defensive coordinator Kevin Steele who took over the coastal Georgia territory after former offensive line coach Herb Hand’s departure in January.

The relationship with Steele is by design. Auburn likes Sheffield at safety, as well. Sheffield appreciates the message on that front, too.

“Then they like me at safety. They think I could make a lot of money at safety,” Sheffield said. “I really don’t care, as long as I get to play football. I’d play either one.”

Sheffield hasn’t planned a return trip to the Plains, but one will take place.

He was close to making a college decision last fall, but backed off amid a few coaching changes. Now he plans to take his time with his commitment — though he admits this week’s Auburn pitch will be tough to top — likely waiting until after his senior season to finalize a decision.

His first trip to Auburn changed his whole perspective.

“I listen to all coaches, but they were telling me some honest stuff like, ‘Every coach is going to tell you something you want to hear, but I’m not here to do that. This is a business. I want you here very badly. We’ll worry about you after football.’ I know there’s a lot of coaches that say that, but they’re sincere. You can tell it’s serious here,” Sheffield said. “The atmosphere is just totally different than any place I’ve ever been.”

Kevin Steele being in the coastal Georgia area paying off already. I also love all these recruits talking about our coaches giving them the real and not bs'ing them.

Another article with more detail and compliments about AU plus his teammate that also visited..

Four-Star Teammates Have Eye-Opening Visit To Auburn

Jason Caldwell

Four-star prospects and teammates at Frederica Academy on St. Simons Island in Georgia, athletes Jashawn Sheffield and Jaylin Simpson took a two-day visit to check out the Auburn Tigers this week and both left with Coach Gus Malzahn’s program making a big move up their recruiting boards.

“I saw a lot,” Sheffield said of Auburn. “Very different stuff than I have seen at any other campus. I got one-on-one time with every coach that is here. I talked to Kodi (Burns) a lot, Coach Gus. I love all these guys. They really told me some honest stuff.

“They said if I come there and do the right things they’ll get me where I want to go. I believe them because they got on the board and wrote some stuff down and showed me some education stuff. They weren’t strictly talking about football. They were talking about after football.

“I had a lot of questions and they answered them. It’s just a great place. I’m not going to even lie. I love Auburn right now. They are number one right now...there’s just something totally different about Auburn with the atmosphere and everything.”

At 6-0, 165, Simpson is expected to play cornerback on the next level. Getting to know the coaches as well on his visit, he said Auburn is definitely a school he wants to learn more about in the future.

“The visit was a lot different from the other ones,” Simpson said. “A lot of stuff stood out such as academics, sports, all that. I just had a good time and I’ll definitely be back again.

“Without a doubt it will be an official visit,” he added. “Just from being there today it’s a lot better than some I have been to. I don’t have an official group, but they definitely jumped way up there.”

Also looking at Miami, Georgia, Florida State, Ohio State and Clemson, Simpson said the Auburn coaches focused on him playing outside at cornerback, one of the biggest need areas for Auburn in 2019.

“They are telling me I’m the perfect fit for their defense and what they do and how they run things,” Simpson said. “Mainly they want me to play cornerback after watching my film. They feel like that’s the best fit for me.”

A player that could play wide receiver or safety on the next level, the 6-1, 178 Sheffield has long been considered a lock to Florida State, but that’s not the case at the moment following his first look at Auburn. Now it’s Tennessee, South Carolina and Miami in the picture and they’re playing catch-up.

“When I went to Florida State last Tuesday, it’s kind of different from when Jimbo was there,” Sheffield said. “I really liked it a lot when Jimbo was there, but seeing the new staff I didn’t even get to talk to Coach (Willie) Taggart because he was in meetings. That knocked them down a little bit. I really haven’t been talking to people from Florida State like I used to.”

Watching Auburn practice and sitting in with meetings as well to learn more about the Tigers on the field, Sheffield said he sees big things on the horizon and he wouldn’t mind being part of it.

“It’s a great school,” Sheffield said. “I’m going to come in and work very hard. I see a natty (national championship) here in a few years.

“This really narrowed it down a lot. The next school will have to do a lot to compete with Auburn.”

Neither player will graduate in December and both want to have a decision sometime during their senior season. Both are planning to take official visits to Auburn.

On 3/30/2018 at 4:31 PM, WFE12 said:

Kevin Steele being in the coastal Georgia area paying off already. I also love all these recruits talking about our coaches giving them the real and not bs'ing them.

That has been very consistent in these interviews as long as Gus has been here, and I really like that. It shows that we have a distinct culture at Auburn. It's not going to be for everyone, but we're not usually going to be the obvious choice and we need to offer something the other programs don't. If I'm not mistaken, it's a huge part of why we've landed guys like Lawson and D. Brown. 

(I think it has fed into itself and has a lot to do with the successes that the team has enjoyed on the field, also.)

• 2 weeks later...

You know that we're spoiled at wide receiver when a 4* has us as their #1 and we're not even on two pages of discussion about him. This kid is a solid talent.

4 hours ago, Zeek said:

You know that we're spoiled at wide receiver when a 4* has us as their #1 and we're not even on two pages of discussion about him. This kid is a solid talent.

ATH who will more than likely play S they say.

3 hours ago, WFE12 said:

ATH who will more than likely play S they say.

Ah thank you, regardless we should have some more buzz around this guy!

On 4/13/2018 at 10:58 PM, Zeek said:

Ah thank you, regardless we should have some more buzz around this guy!

Good point. We *really* need some blue chip safeties. 

On 4/16/2018 at 9:06 PM, Samau said:

Any idea when he is suppose to announce?

Doesn't have a set time but could pop soon. He is visiting AU again soon.

15 minutes ago, The Plainsman said:

Any updates?

Nope. Still visiting next weekend  but no plans of committing soon.

1 hour ago, ellitor said:

Nope. Still visiting next weekend  but no plans of committing soon.

@ellitor, correct me if I'm wrong, but he is being looked at strictly at Safety for us, right?

25 minutes ago, bigbird said:

@ellitor, correct me if I'm wrong, but he is being looked at strictly at Safety for us, right?

Either or but I think Safety is where Keith projects him at AU & AU is only taking 1 more WR in the class.

41 minutes ago, Samau said:

Any word how is visit went? Hope we get him soon!

I posted an article in the 2019 thread about it and others' time on campus too.

36 minutes ago, SumterAubie said:

Since when did Auburn's colors change to black and gold. :dunno:

Lol. That's the lighting of the cam taking the pic.

21 hours ago, SumterAubie said:

Since when did Auburn's colors change to black and gold. :dunno:

After UCF smeared their colors into our uniforms...

Go Knights. War Eagle.

:wareagle:

Archived