Whitlow's rise up the depth chart

aubiefifty

The 2 traits that helped JaTarvious Whitlow's rise up Auburn's running back depth chart

Updated Aug 23, 1:02 PM; Posted Aug 23, 1:00 PM

Two words have been brought up again and again from Auburn coaches and players when asked about running back JaTarvious Whitlow this fall.

Thump. Downhill.

Those words have been vital to the redshirt freshman's rise up the depth chart in the backfield, where he and junior Kam Martin have elevated themselves into a tier above the rest of Auburn's running backs ahead of the team's season opener against Washington on Sept. 1.

"He's just kind of got 'it,'" wide receiver Darius Slayton said. "Some people -- he has the 'it factor.' He's one of those guys once he has the ball in his hands, he has the ability to make plays."

It has been an impressive rise for Whitlow, who never really played running back until last season -- and who still has not played in a collegiate game. The former LaFayette standout was recruited to Auburn as an athlete and started out as a receiver when he arrived on campus last summer.

Shortly thereafter, during fall camp a year ago, Whitlow moved to running back but sustained an ankle injury that sidelined him for the majority of his first season. He redshirted in 2017 and then started to turn heads during Peach Bowl practices before carrying that momentum into the offseason and becoming a more polished running back.

"It's kind of surprising," Martin said. "When he first came in, he was like a wide receiver and he was like 220. They were like, 'You can't play wide receiver at 220,' and moved him to running back. Whitlow, he's always been good."

Whitlow displaying 'urgency,' determined to be factor at running back for Auburn

Redshirt freshman JaTarvious Whitlow is determined to be a factor at running back for Auburn this season.

Since the spring, the 6-foot, 216-pound has continued to impress with his running style, big-play ability and overall athleticism as a former All-State athlete in three sports -- football, basketball and track -- with a litany of high school state championships in basketball and track, including long jump, triple-jump, 200 meters and 400 meters.

"It's an interesting style," running backs coach Tim Horton said. "He's not Corey Grant or even Shaun Shivers in the sense that he's so fast that once he sees a crease he can go 90 yards real quick, but he is a one-cut, downhill runner that loves contact, that's a physical player, that has the skillset that you're looking for both as a blocker and as a receiver."

That willingness as a blocker has been crucial to Whitlow's climb up the depth chart this fall. His experience at LaFayette, where he played nearly every position imaginable, has played a role in his willingness to take on pass-rushers and be a physical blocker in pass protection.

"He's got some versatility," offensive coordinator Chip Lindsey said. "He can catch the football out of backfield. He's over 210, I think. 215. Somewhere in there. So, he can pass protect. I think he's a complete back."

Whitlow's larger stature -- he's the team's second-heaviest running back, behind Malik Miller -- has also provided Auburn's backfield with the type of bigger running back the team has utilized under Gus Malzahn. He is smaller than Kamryn Pettway and Peyton Barber were, and slightly larger than Kerryon Johnson and Tre Mason, with his size most comparable to Cameron Artis-Payne, who checked in at 5-foot-11 and 210 pounds during his breakthrough 2014 campaign.

"Boobee is a little bit heavier, a little bigger than Kam so he has a little more of that thump effect," Slayton said. "I think he'll be really important to our running game. I like Boobee a lot. I think he's a really talented kid. I think he's going to surprise a lot of people this year."

Kam Martin OK with not being 'bell cow' if Auburn uses running back committee

Auburn would prefer a more balanced distribution of carries in the backfield this season.

Whitlow's biggest strides as a running back since the spring have come in the area that Horton most wanted to see the LaFayette native improve: his mindset with the ball in his hands. While Whitlow's ability to make something out of nothing garnered attention from teammates before, Horton wanted to see Whitlow develop more of a north-south running style compared to an east-west one. The ability to freelance when a play breaks down -- running sideline to sideline to find an opening -- worked well at LaFayette, but it's something that won't be nearly as successful in the SEC, where defenses are loaded with speed and athleticism.

"He's done better this fall than he did in the spring," Horton said. "A couple of times in the spring I'd tease him that he thinks he's back in LaFayette playing Valley and he'd just reverse field and go for 75-yard runs; that doesn't work in our league. You better be able to stick your foot in the ground and go north and south."

To his credit, Whitlow has not reverted back to his high school running style once this fall, according to Horton. He did fumble once in a scrimmage last week on an "effort" play, so ball security is still an area he's honing, but that too will come with experience as he and Martin try to combine for an effective one-two punch in the backfield this season.

"Whitlow has been bringing the thump every day in practice," Martin said. "I feel like he's going to have a good year, too."

Tom Green is an Auburn beat reporter for Alabama Media Group. Follow him on Twitter @Tomas_Verde.

It sounds like Boobie will be a Jovon Robinson type back.  If he could have kept his head on straight he could have been one of the good ones.

An uplifting article. Slayton has a way with phrasing things. 

Makes me feel good about the running backs this year. I suspect Whitlow will get a great deal of playing time due to his ability to block (we all know how Gus can't handle a RB who doesn't do that well), and it would be great to have a thunder and lightening combo at the top with him and Kam. I still hope Shivers gets plenty of touches, too, because the kid is simply too talented to keep off the field, but I like what I'm hearing about the top two guys in rotation.

I'm not trying to replace "Boobie," but... man... "Thump" would be a great nickname for an RB. (Forgive me if this has been assigned to a past great of which I'm ignorantly unaware.)

Thump Whitlow rolls off the tongue.

53 minutes ago, Rednilla said:

Makes me feel good about the running backs this year. I suspect Whitlow will get a great deal of playing time due to his ability to block (we all know how Gus can't handle a RB who doesn't do that well), and it would be great to have a thunder and lightening combo at the top with him and Kam. I still hope Shivers gets plenty of touches, too, because the kid is simply too talented to keep off the field, but I like what I'm hearing about the top two guys in rotation.

Yeah, RB is just not a position group I'm willing to worry about until I see an AU team really struggle to run the ball.  Gus puts a ton of focus and attention on the running game and always will - he knows you have be able to run the ball at his level and he makes sure his weapons are sharp and ready for the task.

1 hour ago, keesler said:

Yeah, RB is just not a position group I'm willing to worry about until I see an AU team really struggle to run the ball.  Gus puts a ton of focus and attention on the running game and always will - he knows you have be able to run the ball at his level and he makes sure his weapons are sharp and ready for the task.

Wellllllll...

(May preparation henceforth rise up to meet opportunity so that they may conspire to deliver better luck to our doorstep.)

2 hours ago, looney said:

I'm not trying to replace "Boobie," but... man... "Thump" would be a great nickname for an RB. (Forgive me if this has been assigned to a past great of which I'm ignorantly unaware.)

392a3046d0c4a62b660cfedcf4ec38fc--junkya

I'm expecting Whitlow to solidify the #1 RB slot by the second or third game of the season.  I think he is the best RB on the team at the moment.

36 minutes ago, Shift said:

I'm expecting Whitlow to solidify the #1 RB slot by the second or third game of the season.  I think he is the best RB on the team at the moment.

That’s fine, as long as he’s not the exclusive RB.  I like the idea of utilizing our options at RB more.  (RB by committee)

We really do have 4 guys with unique skill sets that can together be a nightmare for opposing Ds!!!!

4 hours ago, WFE12 said:

Boobee has some competition 

If this kid were a -20 star. I’d still pay him $7.25 a hour to play for AU. 

32 minutes ago, LKEEL75 said:

His dad was either a comedian or a player....

Next in line following Josh & John David.

LOVE the name though.

18 hours ago, WFE12 said:

Boobee has some competition 

I can imagine him being a backup when the starter is struggling....... the fans wanting to make a Booty Call. 

13 hours ago, alexava said:

I can imagine him being a backup when the starter is struggling....... the fans wanting to make a Booty Call. 

Best Booty joke yet. Well done.

Whitlow is an explosive RB.  I'm calling it now, he is going to break one for a long TD run on Saturday.

(For those of you re-reading my message multiple times looking for the subtle double meaning, it's not there. Haha!)

• 2 weeks later...

Archived