How Are You Picking Up Local TV Signals at Your Tailgate?

Auburn 6

Looking for some help from those more experienced with TV setups at tailgates than me as this is my first season hosting instead of just attending.  Long story short, I'm looking for a way to get a reliable local tv signal.  I purchased a Dish Tailgater satellite and used it last weekend for the first time as a test run before LSU on Saturday.  However, I stumbled across a major problem, I can get all of the Dish channels but nothing local.  I have ESPN and all of the conference specific channels, but no CBS/ABC/NBC for some of the bigger games.  I've since been informed by Dish that the local channels for Auburn are broadcast out of Columbus, GA and those signals are not picked up by the dish that I have.  Eastern arc vs Western arc if I understand correctly.  I also tried using an antenna to pick up the local CBS broadcast but didn't have any luck with that.  As I see it my options are to buy a better dish that will pick up more satellites or find a stronger antenna that can pick up a signal from farther away. Hopefully I can return the old one if an upgrade is what's needed.

If you usually host a tailgate with TV service, what are you using to pick up local channels?

Is there another solution to my problem that I'm not thinking of?

Thanks so much!

• 3 weeks later...

On 9/11/2018 at 10:04 AM, Auburn 6 said:

Looking for some help from those more experienced with TV setups at tailgates than me as this is my first season hosting instead of just attending.  Long story short, I'm looking for a way to get a reliable local tv signal.  I purchased a Dish Tailgater satellite and used it last weekend for the first time as a test run before LSU on Saturday.  However, I stumbled across a major problem, I can get all of the Dish channels but nothing local.  I have ESPN and all of the conference specific channels, but no CBS/ABC/NBC for some of the bigger games.  I've since been informed by Dish that the local channels for Auburn are broadcast out of Columbus, GA and those signals are not picked up by the dish that I have.  Eastern arc vs Western arc if I understand correctly.  I also tried using an antenna to pick up the local CBS broadcast but didn't have any luck with that.  As I see it my options are to buy a better dish that will pick up more satellites or find a stronger antenna that can pick up a signal from farther away. Hopefully I can return the old one if an upgrade is what's needed. 

If you usually host a tailgate with TV service, what are you using to pick up local channels? 

Is there another solution to my problem that I'm not thinking of?

Thanks so much!

Did some quick Googling and it seems others with this setup call Dish to let them know their new location. So maybe give them a call on the way down and tell them you are in Auburn and call them on the way home to let them know you are headed back there.

Archived