The REAL issue

TigerfanKM

My break down on the two main issues. Yes we need to stop the TOs and eliminate the penalties, but:

• the run game has to improve. With so many new OL, we knew the challenges before the season started.
  • our secondary is horrible! All the threads about looking for the ball? Bull crap! We beat a very good passing team in Washington because the DL and LBs got pressure on their QB and helped protect the secondary..LSU's  OL did a decent job protecting their very average QB and they exposed a very average secondary, which also has some  new faces

So the $1,000.000 question is, why don't our defensive coaches teach the DBs and Safetys to Jam/Redirect the WRs more when we play man to man?

Until this is fixed no matter who we play, if their OL can give their QB time, their guys will get open. If our front 7 can't help "cover up" the weakness in the secondary until it improves, we are in BIG trouble.

On your first point, I think we're going to have to use our strength on offense (the RPO and PA passing game) to open up the run. I don't think we're good enough or schemed properly to be a run-first, run-dominant team. I do think that if we can freeze LBs for a fraction of a second early in games with the RPOs and PA Pass that it will allow the run game to open up similar to the LSU game. We ran the ball pretty effectively in the middle part of that game because we were getting a good mix of passing on early downs.

Your second point is a little harsh IMO, but it is your opinion. I'm not a huge Xs and Os guy and don't know detailed technique of DBs, but it seems our biggest issue right now with the DBs is in the first 3-5 steps off the LOS. People talk about the DBs turning their heads, but the way I understand the way they're taught, if they don't establish good position early to stay in-phase, they can't turn their heads to defend when they're out-of-phase. So we need to improve at the LOS, like you mentioned. Part of that is inexperience at the CB position. I also think a better edge rush would do wonders for the secondary. Forcing QBs to throw before they want to would really help our guys in the back end. IMO the pass rush is a bigger issue than the DB play right now. I think the DB play can improve. I don't know that we have an edge rusher the likes of Holland or Lawson or Ford on this roster.

There's no rule stating that a DB can't turn their head pertaining to this 'phase' business. Study the well-coached, talented DB's (you can start with Alabama's). The good one's will find the ball, period.

• WarTiger changed the title to The REAL issue

Playing defensive back is arguably one of the toughest positions on the field.  When they play well, you never know it because they cover so well that the receiver never gets thrown to (and hence, doesn't get on camera).  When they play poorly or just lose on a 50/50 ball, it gets replayed over and over again both on TV and the jumbotron.   And, occasionally, they end up on the wrong side of subjective PI call.

Cut the guys some slack.  The stats from Saturday game indicate that they played reasonably well, at least in my book:

image.png

LSU was 8 for 20 on third down (40%) and QB was 15 for 35 (43%).  I fail to see the glaring weaknesses you say exist.  Could they have played better?  Sure, but the game was lost in the last two seconds.  Maybe you can point to a play or two that mistakes were made but you can't lay this all on the OL and defensive backfield.

7 minutes ago, Shift said:

Playing defensive back is arguably one of the toughest positions on the field.  When they play well, you never know it because they cover so well that the receiver never gets thrown to (and hence, doesn't get on camera).  When they play poorly or just lose on a 50/50 ball, it gets replayed over and over again both on TV and the jumbotron.   And, occasionally, they end up on the wrong side of subjective PI call.

Cut the guys some slack.  The stats from Saturday game indicate that they played reasonably well, at least in my book:

image.png

LSU was 8 for 20 on third down (40%) and QB was 15 for 35 (43%).  I fail to see the glaring weaknesses you say exist.  Could they have played better?  Sure, but the game was lost in the last two seconds.  Maybe you can point to a play or two that mistakes were made but you can't lay this all on the OL and defensive backfield.

Wrong. That game was lost much earlier than that. AU scored 1 td and was 0-8 on third down in the last qtr and a half.  Their unheralded QB didn't crumble under pressure on the road. However, our highly touted QB looks absolutely clueless during at least half the games. Yes, our OL is still trying to gel,  but a good QB finds plays that aren't there. No way he goes 1-3 round in NFL like they all say until he can read defenses better.  Thought I read somewhere he was going to be cut loose and audible at the line this year. Still waiting. Would love to eat my words. 

4 hours ago, Deemer 47 said:

Wrong. That game was lost much earlier than that. AU scored 1 td and was 0-8 on third down in the last qtr and a half.  Their unheralded QB didn't crumble under pressure on the road. However, our highly touted QB looks absolutely clueless during at least half the games. Yes, our OL is still trying to gel,  but a good QB finds plays that aren't there. No way he goes 1-3 round in NFL like they all say until he can read defenses better.  Thought I read somewhere he was going to be cut loose and audible at the line this year. Still waiting. Would love to eat my words. 

Burrow was the number 6 rated dual threat QB in his recruiting class.  

If we didn’t constantly jump all over the WRs maybe Nate Burrows numbers would have been better? Those penalties are like completed passes. Although with Ensminger as OC he shouldn’t have completed any passes.

We had our chances and had to overcome some really bad calls against us to win the game. Sometimes, you are put in a position and a bad one at that with poor officiating.  I am ready for us to move on and win a lot of games this season so we can put the LSU crap behind and us and down the toilet where that game belongs.

1 minute ago, Apraser99 said:

The REAL issue is we are paying a high school coach 49 million dollars...why?

Because Arkansas flirted with him but we married him. Greene needs to put the equivalent of a pre-nup in every coaches contract. 

I believe everybody’s frustration stems from the fact that many of us thought that this year we would have a more complete team. Heisman candidate Throws  for a whopping  134 yards and our best running back has 49 yards against the worst team in the SEC. Just very disappointing and disheartening. But I am an Auburn man and I love our players and most of the coaches so I will hope for some sort of an O-line shake up that works. We have done it before

52 minutes ago, Tigger1985 said:

Sorry guys but our offensive line is TERRIBLE.

Wasn't that issue last year,  the year before and the year before that? It starts with recruiting and ends with coaching. Both are subpar. The definition of insanity is doing the same things over and over again and expecting different results. That's what this offense looks like since Malzahn took over as head coach..

1 hour ago, Tigger1985 said:

Sorry guys but our offensive line is TERRIBLE.

And Stidham knows it.  Jumpy now the pocket,  rushing deep throws on the few times he has time.  We are in deep trouble with the OLine and somehow I am surprised.   The Oline was the biggest question mark going into the season. 

• 2 weeks later...

Deemer, unless a QB can run for his life as well as Vick or Lamar Jackson, the OL must give him some time. We all know Stidham is not the greatest runner. And when no WR can gain separation and get open, what5 should he do, throw more INTs?. Pay attention to how often JS has to throw the ball away to prevent a sack and/or because no one is open. When our running game poses no real threat, the DL are pinning their ears back and coming.

We also need to stay away from long yardage situations. So cut way down on the penalties (become more disciplined) and call plays that have a better chance to get 5-6 yards + on first down.

War Eagle!!!

Outside of what MUSCHAMP and T-ROB gave us in their 2 classes, we haven't recruited DB very well overall under Gus' leadership.  I think Porter helps some there, but I have no clue about Old Greg's recruiting abilities or desires at his advanced age.  He might be a hit with the momma's for all I know.

32 minutes ago, thrustmaxwell said:

Outside of what MUSCHAMP and T-ROB gave us in their 2 classes, we haven't recruited DB very well overall under Gus' leadership.  I think Porter helps some there, but I have no clue about Old Greg's recruiting abilities or desires at his advanced age.  He might be a hit with the momma's for all I know.

Disagree with this.  Before CGB, we struggled to identify and coach. However, since his arrival we have been very good at both. With the addition of Woodson, we are doing even better. This year's class is VERY good.

Zion Puckett

Cam'Ron Kelly

Jashawn Sheffield

Jaylin Simpson

And another good one might be in play.

6 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Disagree with this.  Before CGB, we struggled to identify and coach. However, since his arrival we have been very good at both. With the addition of Woodson, we are doing even better. This year's class is VERY good.

Zion Puckett

Cam'Ron Kelly

Jashawn Sheffield

Jaylin Simpson

And another good one might be in play.

Great to hear on Greg.  I will defer to you on this year's class, but I think if you look at the classes that should be Jr.s and Sr.s right now it tells a different story.

2015:  Nick Ruffin, Kalvarez Bessent, Stephen Roberts, Derrick Moncrief, Stanton Truitt

2016:  John Broussard, Marlon Character, Jayvaugn Myers, Daniel Thomas

4 minutes ago, thrustmaxwell said:

Great to hear on Greg.  I will defer to you on this year's class, but I think if you look at the classes that should be Jr.s and Sr.s right now it tells a different story.

2015:  Nick Ruffin, Kalvarez Bessent, Stephen Roberts, Derrick Moncrief, Stanton Truitt

2016:  John Broussard, Marlon Character, Jayvaugn Myers, Daniel Thomas

Agreed about those two classes, but the 2015 class is serving us well

On Thursday, September 20, 2018 at 12:10 PM, TigerfanKM said:

My break down on the two main issues. Yes we need to stop the TOs and eliminate the penalties, but:

• the run game has to improve. With so many new OL, we knew the challenges before the season started.
  • our secondary is horrible! All the threads about looking for the ball? Bull crap! We beat a very good passing team in Washington because the DL and LBs got pressure on their QB and helped protect the secondary..LSU's  OL did a decent job protecting their very average QB and they exposed a very average secondary, which also has some  new faces

So the $1,000.000 question is, why don't our defensive coaches teach the DBs and Safetys to Jam/Redirect the WRs more when we play man to man?

Until this is fixed no matter who we play, if their OL can give their QB time, their guys will get open. If our front 7 can't help "cover up" the weakness in the secondary until it improves, we are in BIG trouble.

If you jam them at the line and miss and he gets by the db it's a touchdown playing man to man. The idea is to cover long enough The rush gets the qb. Got to get pressure on qb period or he will pick you apart.

Archived