Where is the problem

bigbird

About to post something similar, but Bird you did a better job than I could have.

Brahms first steps were bad.  Also looks like he pops up some when snapping, especially on some of the other plays, which raises your center of gravity.

As for backside pursuit, I don't like that the RB is 8 yards deep.  QB boot or read should keep them honest, but they have to be afraid of it.  Just seems to take a while for the RB to get there.

Also don't like 5 step drops out of shotgun, especially after fake handoff, but I know that is common for Gus.  Makes it tough on Tackles handling the edge rushers.

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, McLoofus said:

They're better than us, but they aren't better statistically through 5 games than they were last year on average despite getting their starting QB back. I don't know what their talent situation is, but it's possible that he just hasn't had a chance to break them yet. Also, would you say that our recruiting at OL was good while he was here? Was our OL one of the better units in the league at any point while he was here?

I'm not trying to say that Grimes is good enough- it's clear now that he's not- but Hand didn't exactly leave the cupboard full. 

Change "program" to "offense" and you're onto something. Don't overstate what is going on. Our defense, special teams and off-field situation are all in damned good shape. 

Of course, maybe none of that matters with this putrid offense. 

Hand is an awful recruiter, but the upperclassmen on the OL were recruited by Grimes.  This is his cupboard as much or more than it is Hand's.

6 minutes ago, thrustmaxwell said:

Hand is an awful recruiter, but the upperclassmen on the OL were recruited by Grimes.  This is his cupboard as much or more than it is Hand's.

And Hand definitely didn't make chicken salad out of chicken sh**, not that these guys are nearly as untalented as they're making it look right now. 

On 10/3/2018 at 8:55 PM, thrustmaxwell said:

Tom Herman would've been an incredible hire.  What would make you say otherwise?

He is doing ok, not golden child status as proclaimed though.

Except AU fans would be saying the exact same stuff if Auburn lost to Maryland who they were a two touchdown favorite over.

Would be very unhappy about sliding by a Team like Tulsa by one TD.

Would not be too excited about the offense disappearing in the second half and being glad that special teams had a TD and the D had a safety to squeek by Kansas State by 5, especially since Miss State beat them pretty sound.

That stock will drop if Lincoln Riley puts it to him this weekend. Then let's wait and see what happens when he faces that stretch of Ok State, West Virginia, and Texas Tech.

Lol, then you have these familiar types of things:

Longhorn fans were casting blame for Maryland not only at Herman but at Tim Beck, who is yet another in a long line of very unpopular offensive coordinators. And yes, some of the play-calling and personnel moves were bizarre, but it’s hard to lay the blame on Beck’s offense, which after all put 27 points on the board

Herman’s first year was marginally better than Strong’s, but this season is off to a shaky start. And, unlike Strong, though even Strong’s detractors recognized that he came across as a good guy—if “over his head”—in press conferences, the needy Herman is not so well liked. Like Strong, he is also being shellacked for being “over his head” on the field. His press conference demeanor seems condescending, especially when defending his seemingly bizarre personnel decisions and play calls.

And there will come a time, and it will likely be soon, when few prognosticators will foresee good seasons ahead for Texas at all. It’s already happened to Florida. Hello, irrelevance.

And how did that happen? Is it that the university’s big money donors think too much of their own football IQs? Is it that Texas high school recruits are overrated by the national services that feed into Bartoo’s programs, thus skewing his algorithm? Why, after winning a national championship in 2005 and competing for another in 2009, is Texas still so dang bad? Despite all that money pouring into the program, its Edenlike setting right in the middle of Austin, and its certified status as a pipeline to the NFL?

https://www.texasmonthly.com/the-culture/so-about-those-longhorns/

21 hours ago, DAG said:

D.craig became the villain really quickly around here haha but so has Gus so I can’t speak too much on that

I’m not calling Craig a villain, nor Gus the greatest coach ever, I just think it’s telling that Craig hasn’t moved upward much in his career but some seem to think Gus ran off the best guy ever.  Seems he always ends up back with Jimbo but not necessarily at a higher position.

22 hours ago, AUsince72 said:

Exactly.

Gus is gonna Gus no matter who's hired in any Offensive capacity.

That's why I suggested earlier that it may as well just be Gus & Kodi as the entire offensive staff.  I wouldn't be surprised if, once CCL leaves (out of frustration) he's replaced by some "analyst" already on staff or some HS HC from Arkansas....

And, if Steele gets any comparable or better offers, he will be gone too and will take a couple of position coaches with him.  He's fed up with the lack of offense putting pressure on his defense. 

Just now, around4ever said:

And, if Steele gets any comparable or better offers, he will be gone too and will take a couple of position coaches with him.  He's fed up with the lack of offense putting pressure on his defense. 

I'm developing that theory too.  IMO that's why he always looks constipated...

If this is the case with Steele, then it would be worse than I could have imagined relative to Gus, meaning he’s got a pretty good gig at AU. Good money, great recruiting and defensive staff. Everyone seems to think Gus leaves him alone, so there’s that😬. Being at Auburn and his success has made him very relevant again (deservedly so)Many on this board frowned when he was hired. His stock was not actually up.  I guess I’m thinking it would have to be VERY BAD for him to leave and go to the devil he does not know. 

57 minutes ago, around4ever said:

Is this a gut feeling or are you hearing whispers?

58 minutes ago, around4ever said:

Sounds like we need an come to Jesus coaches meeting.

1 hour ago, around4ever said:

It just keeps getting better 🤔

5 hours ago, around4ever said:

Not unless it's in the state of Alabama he won't.  I guess many still don't realize the forces that actually brought Kevin Steele to Auburn.  I would imagine working with Gus was at or near the bottom of the list.

9 minutes ago, around4ever said:

Really now?  Tell us about it critical thinker. 

Steele came to AU to get his pension years in and spend time with his family as much or more than he came to work for Gus and Auburn.  Just how it is, no harm in stating the facts about it.  After this season he needs 4 more, if I remember correctly, and will be at Auburn for that term.  It's my understanding he has a job waiting in the AD in the event he chooses to no longer coach one day before his 10 years are in.  It was basically a 6 year guarantee to hire him.

4 minutes ago, thrustmaxwell said:

Steele came to AU to get his pension years in and spend time with his family as much or more than he came to work for Gus and Auburn.  Just how it is, no harm in stating the facts about it.  After this season he needs 4 more, if I remember correctly, and will be at Auburn for that term.  It's my understanding he has a job waiting in the AD in the event he chooses to no longer coach one day before his 10 years are in.  It was basically a 6 year guarantee to hire him.

That is not a secret.  But, things change when you aren't happy. 

1 minute ago, around4ever said:

That is not a secret.  But, things change when you aren't happy. 

I don't disagree, but he's not some hot headed 32 year old.  He's more than likely got one eye on retirement at his age.

14 minutes ago, thrustmaxwell said:

I don't disagree, but he's not some hot headed 32 year old.  He's more than likely got one eye on retirement at his age.

Me too.  

Archived