Fire Gus (merged threads)

AuburnTiger4Life

• Replies 672
  • Created
  • Last Reply
24 minutes ago, auburn4ever said:

From the first day Jay Jacobs hired him, I said Gus was in way over his head. Gus Malzahn's coaching style fits someone like Arkansas State or a Southern Miss.

I agree with the firing and your point of gus being in over his head, But who will come to here that can turn this around and beat alabama, at least every other year?

7 minutes ago, AUFriction said:

People always reply with “there are better coaches out there,” but I have yet to see anyone mention names. Quality coaches are few and far between right now.

Bob Stoops might be itching to get back in the game.

Mario Cristobal

Brent Venables

There's a start.

You want names? ok, here are same. Lane Kiffin, James Franklin, David Shaw, Charlie Strong, Mark Stoops, Neal Brown, of Troy, Bill Clark of UAB. Then there's Mario Christobal, Brent Venables.

3 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

Mario Cristobal

Brent Venables

There's a start.

Kiffen

Heupel

48 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

I would fire him right now, name Steele the interim coach the rest of the year.

That would have worked LAST YEAR after LSU when all those jobs were going to be coming open. But Now? Who the heck that's worth a damn do we have a legitimate chance at with this dumpster fire? Practically no one. 

Just now, WeaglWeaglWDE said:

That would have worked LAST YEAR after LSU when all those jobs were going to be coming open. But Now? Who the heck that's worth a damn do we have a legitimate chance at with this dumpster fire? Practically no one. 

As I said, first you call Bob Stoops to see if he's happy being retired or is itching to get back in it.

If he says no, you start talking to Mario Cristobal and Brent Venables.  That's a pretty good start.

3 minutes ago, Timeslider 6 said:

I agree with the firing and your point of gus being in over his head, But who will come to here that can turn this around and beat alabama, at least every other year?

To me it's not about beating bama, it's losing to teams who have no business beating us. 

1 minute ago, AuburnTiger4Life said:

Sean Payton. Although I’m not sure if he’d ever leave the NFL 

You forgot the yellow font

Just now, TitanTiger said:

As I said, first you call Bob Stoops to see if he's happy being retired or is itching to get back in it.

If he says no, you start talking to Mario Cristobal and Brent Venables.  That's a pretty good start.

I say we throw Stoops somewhere in the ballpark of 7.2-7.5.

Do you think our boosters will pay up to see Gus go?

1 minute ago, TitanTiger said:

Mario Cristobal

Brent Venables

There's a start.

Stoops is already a stretch. It would take a ton of money to buy him back to anywhere other than Oklahoma. Given the large buyout and the fact that he would want to clean house staff wise, Stoops wouldn’t happen.

The other two names mentioned are unproven. Venables has been vying for a head coach job for several years, and has been passed over every year. Cristobal has less than a year of HC experience and has looked meh so far this year.

15 minutes ago, AUFriction said:

People always reply with “there are better coaches out there,” but I have yet to see anyone mention names. Quality coaches are few and far between right now.

There have been a couple threads discussing possible replacements.

My personal choice would be Josh Huepel (Bob Stoops is not coming out of retirement at 58 years old)

Just now, NolaAuTiger said:

I say we throw Stoops somewhere in the ballpark of 7.2-7.5.

Do you think our boosters will pay up to see Gus go?

I could be wrong, but I think the answer would be "yes."

Archived