Fire Gus (merged threads)

AuburnTiger4Life

1 minute ago, AUFriction said:

I’ve seen several names thrown out. Rather than reply to all of them, I’ll give a reply all here. The names thrown out prior to this point are either:

1. Too expensive given Malzahn’s buyout. (e.g., Stoops)

2. Unproven as head coaches, and likely to be a huge downgrade from Gus. (e.g., Aranda; Venables)

3. Guys who have looked mediocre up to this point in their current jobs. (e.g., Campbell)

4.  Not a fit for Auburn in terms of values, thus unlikely to be embraced by the fan base (e.g., Kiffin)

When things look bad, the grass always appears greener. But the reality is that he may be the best option given our financial limitations.

We're quite literally one of the richest athletic programs in the country.

• Replies 672
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, TAYLORKEETON said:

Exactly. That’s my thoughts. 

Not sure he'd leave UAB though. He turned down offers while he was in exile. He really wants to build that program into something bigger. 

Just now, WarEagle1983 said:

We'd know he would be determined to top Bama and stick it to Saban..that's for darn sure. But the way AU is set up regarding having a coach who's a saint....i'd be beyond shocked if we even gave him a phone call. 

AD Greene went to the mattresses for Pearl. I'd like to see what he do when looking for a real football coach.

1 hour ago, TitanTiger said:

I would fire him right now, name Steele the interim coach the rest of the year.

Then we’re wide open to hire a quality OC that Steele will leave alone. I’m with you!

When Alabama wants a proven winning coach, it's never out of the question. But when Auburn talks about hiring a top coach who's a proven winner and great recruiter, people always say Auburn can't afford a top coach plus pay their coach. So if they can do it, why the hell can't Auburn. Is it the Auburn fans always thinks small and no 5* coach would come to Auburn we can't afford a 5* head coach ??? Hell, even Texas A&M got the mney together and hired Jimbo Fisher for something like 10 Million a year.

4 minutes ago, AUFriction said:

I’ve seen several names thrown out. Rather than reply to all of them, I’ll give a reply all here. The names thrown out prior to this point are either:

2. Unproven as head coaches, and likely to be a huge downgrade from Gus. (e.g., Aranda; Venables)

3. Guys who have looked mediocre up to this point in their current jobs. (e.g., Campbell)

4.  Not a fit for Auburn in terms of values, thus unlikely to be embraced by the fan base (e.g., Kiffin)

When things look bad, the grass always appears greener. But the reality is that he may be the best option given our financial limitations.

Matt Campbell is coaching at Iowa State. Gus is coaching at Auburn. Be a little bit objective. And no he is not my number 1 choice but I imagine he is capable of going 4-3 at Auburn right now 

Just now, Brad_ATX said:

We're quite literally one of the richest athletic programs in the country.

Yes, but buying out Malzahn would change that. I’m pretty sure all of our coaches have at least a year left on their contracts. Unless we hire a coach that agrees to keep most of Gus’s staff or a coach that’s willing to work for around average play, we are SOL.

2 minutes ago, AUFriction said:

1. Stoops isn't coming out of retirement at 58 years old

2. Downgrade from Gus? My nephew's Pop Warner coach shows a better ability for talent utilization than Gussypants.

3. I'm actually cool with staying away from any more Iowa State connections

4. Winning cures all.

1 minute ago, Tigerbelle said:

Not sure he'd leave UAB though. He turned down offers while he was in exile. He really wants to build that program into something bigger. 

i would take him in a heartbeat over this  $49 million assclown 

1 minute ago, DAG said:

Matt Campbell is coaching at Iowa State. Gus is coaching at Auburn. Be a little bit objective.

Didn't Campbell sign a contract extension last year with a pretty hefty buyout? Seems like I remember something like that.

2 minutes ago, DAG said:

Matt Campbell is coaching at Iowa State. Gus is coaching at Auburn. Be a little bit objective.

He was also down to like his 3rd team QB this year but people only look at win-loss stats

1 minute ago, johnnyAU said:

How about we don't fire Gus yet, we just demote him to TE coach?

Or just treat him like Milton in Office Space.

Just now, DAG said:

Iowa State looks better this year than they ever have. They are competitive and very well coached.

The only thing is.....another head coach from Iowa State?

2 minutes ago, DAG said:

Flip it the other way. Campbell is coaching at Iowa State. Huge difference in pressure, competition, and recruiting requirements.

Just now, doug3020 said:

Didn't Campbell sign a contract extension last year with a pretty hefty buyout? Seems like I remember something like that.

He did. Again, I am not saying hire the guy. I am just throwing out names who could do what Gus is doing right now or better , IMO. Realistically, we are stuck with Gus. So this is all a pipe dream 

Just now, Tigerbelle said:

Iowa State looks better this year than they ever have. They are competitive and very well coached.

The only thing is.....another head coach from Iowa State?

Ahh great rebuttal. Chizik . Yikes. Wouldn’t be my #1 pick though.

4 minutes ago, selias said:

AD Greene went to the mattresses for Pearl. I'd like to see what he do when looking for a real football coach.

Hell he could probably throw a dart at some pictures of coaches and land on one better than Gus. 

1 minute ago, AUFriction said:

Flip it the other way. Campbell is coaching at Iowa State. Huge difference in pressure, competition, and recruiting requirements.

What?! No crap. I think he would know if he came to Auburn the pressure would be magnified. That would cause most people to have a fire under their butt. Why doesnt our HC get that?

1 minute ago, DAG said:

Ahh great rebuttal. Chizik . Yikes. Wouldn’t be my #1 pick though.

Isn't master contract negotiator Leath from ISU too?

27 minutes ago, tigerbrotha12 said:

If we get rid of him now, and get a Bob Stoops, James Franklin, Art Briles, or maybe even Hugh Freeze, we will be better NEXT season bet on it. 

Franklin wouldn't come to AU when he is having good success at a school with a great winning tradition. Freeze is overrated and Stoops lost too many big games in the much weaker Big 12, plus I don't think he has the desire anymore. Not really sure who out there is a great hire, but anyone at this point could do no worse in ruining the football careers if talented players. Once again though, the stupidity of AU brass is now showing in full force. Face it, AU is a middle of the road program with a good year here and there sprinkled in. 

1 minute ago, DAG said:

He did. Again, I am not saying hire the guy. I am just throwing out names who could do what Gus is doing right now or better , IMO. Realistically, we are stuck with Gus. So this is all a pipe dream 

I agree. Getting rid of Gus is a fantasy at this point. I'd take Campbell. I'd take David Shaw. I'd take anyone who could recruit and develop talent.

1 minute ago, doverstutts said:

i would take him in a heartbeat over this  $49 million assclown 

So would I and I said that a few days ago. But HE may not want AU.......because he loves UAB and he has committed to putting that program on the map. He waited and held on to the hope that the program would be reinstated instead of moving on. 

Archived