Fire Gus (merged threads)

AuburnTiger4Life

2 minutes ago, Deemer 47 said:

Don't be a moron. He is not elderly and can spend his money any way he wants to. Personally I have seen nothing from auburn football since 2010 to warrant me wasting a Saturday. Maybe when u grow up you will understand. 

I think he’s making the point that you’re wasting an opportunity to spend time with your aging father because of football and saying if he were in the same position, he’d spend the day with his dad regardless of the quality of football. 

• Replies 672
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, doverstutts said:

thats a lot of money....after this year it would be 75% of 42 million

Then don't fire him, sit his rear down, ban him from the field, players etc, name Steele interim coach. 

6 minutes ago, gr82be said:

Then don't fire him, sit his rear down, ban him from the field, players etc, name Steele interim coach. 

Move him to an off field position to greatly reduce the buyout?

5 minutes ago, Deemer 47 said:

Correct. Stupidity seems to reign at AU year in and year out. AU is a great place for a coach to come have a few mediocre years, get bought out and be financially secure the rest of his life! Who wouldn't want to coach here? It's really pathetic. 

Either you're a bama fan or you started on the bottle at kick off. I get trying to be realistic, but damn is that how you really feel about AU?

1 hour ago, AUFriction said:

I’ve seen several names thrown out. Rather than reply to all of them, I’ll give a reply all here. The names thrown out prior to this point are either:

1. Too expensive given Malzahn’s buyout. (e.g., Stoops)

2. Unproven as head coaches, and likely to be a huge downgrade from Gus. (e.g., Aranda; Venables)

3. Guys who have looked mediocre up to this point in their current jobs. (e.g., Campbell)

4.  Not a fit for Auburn in terms of values, thus unlikely to be embraced by the fan base (e.g., Kiffin)

When things look bad, the grass always appears greener. But the reality is that he may be the best option given our financial limitations.

BS

1 minute ago, AUwent said:

Move him to an off field position to greatly reduce the buyout?

Not practical I know but I got nothing else right now. Got to pay him anyway so let him host the pie eating contest at Big Cat weekend. 

The biggest problem is that any coach who comes here WILL NOT be given full control. If i bought out a coach for $35m then im gonna have a say in what happens thereafter

4 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

BS

He listed several points. Are all points BS? If so, explain. Should Gus be fired and can we afford it?

His second point is BS for sure but I’m all ears...

For someone in the know...

Is a $49M coach with a $32M buyout actually accountable to anyone (as long as he's running a clean program)?

If so his "boss" needs to lay down some law with him.

Anyway, I guess it's all just hypothetical until 2020, or so, anyway...

10 minutes ago, CAReeves2010 said:

Either you're a bama fan or you started on the bottle at kick off. I get trying to be realistic, but damn is that how you really feel about AU?

Not a bama fan in the least. But, tell me, has AU not had to buy so many coaches off the last 15 to 20? With this coach it is the same old song and dance each season and each loss, where it appears the losses are getting worse and worse. It's my opinion! Nothing more nothing less. I would love to be proved wrong. 

56 minutes ago, AUFriction said:

I actually have a pretty stable personality... Nice job keeping this discussion mature and non-personal though...

Who said your personality was unstable? And you made it personal you said maybe because you think analytically you pretty much didn't see too big of a problem, I said I think that way myself but I saw it game 2 so I don't think it's that. 

Man it's like you can't say anything on this board anymore

Just now, cole256 said:

Who said your personality was unstable? And you made it personal you said maybe because you think analytically you pretty much didn't see too big of a problem, I said I think that way myself but I saw it game 2 so I don't think it's that. 

Man it's like you can't say anything on this board anymore

Yep. Like I said several posted that there was an issue with the offense early on only to be shot down. I am interested to see what input 64 has 

Gus has forced me to pull against my beloved Auburn and hope they lose each and every game until he is removed. Nothing else will get him fired!  The only duffus bigger than Gus is Jay Jacobs, who I believe intentionally screwed AU players and it’s fans.

I was at Lake Martin last week and saw the lake house Gus is building. It was disgusting to see his palace being built at the expense of all Auburn fans.

No if they are your beloved tigers, no way you pull against them. 

ok, you have a point, but what do we do, sit on our hands. The only way for Gus to be fired is to lose games. How long are you willing to put up with a team that plays the way they have played since the SEC Championship???

You know it will continue, so the only way Gus is fired is to continue losing. We need to stop the bleeding.

So you can call it whatever you want. AU has to lose to get this guy out of Auburn!  

We all know he can’t do it at Auburn, so I want them to lose before this drags on for years!!!

Nothing wrong with what I said and I stand by it.

And yes, I love Auburn and want this lousy arrogant coach to leave and not hurt or embarrass our university any longer!!!

•  

1 hour ago, AUFriction said:

I’ve seen several names thrown out. Rather than reply to all of them, I’ll give a reply all here. The names thrown out prior to this point are either:

1. Too expensive given Malzahn’s buyout. (e.g., Stoops)

2. Unproven as head coaches, and likely to be a huge downgrade from Gus. (e.g., Aranda; Venables)

3. Guys who have looked mediocre up to this point in their current jobs. (e.g., Campbell)

4.  Not a fit for Auburn in terms of values, thus unlikely to be embraced by the fan base (e.g., Kiffin)

When things look bad, the grass always appears greener. But the reality is that he may be the best option given our financial limitations.

To be honest, I’d rather have Bob Stoops as the HC. Give him FULL control of the program.

35 minutes ago, Deemer 47 said:

Not a bama fan in the least. But, tell me, has AU not had to buy so many coaches off the last 15 to 20? With this coach it is the same old song and dance each season and each loss, where it appears the losses are getting worse and worse. It's my opinion! Nothing more nothing less. I would love to be proved wrong. 

And all 3 coaches fired in this 20 year period have all had different circumstances for losing their jobs. From what I saw Gus was given his enormous extension for a few reasons. He just beat 2 #1's both being our biggest rivals, 4 out of 5 years we were in the NC discussion in November, our players stayed out of trouble for the most part and most importantly it gave our program stability which is why I was ok with it. Hindsight's 20/20, no way he survives another game coaching AU if this was last year but it's not and it feels like this programs been shanghaied but to call the program pathetic is a little much don't you think?

20 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

He listed several points. Are all points BS? If so, explain. Should Gus be fired and can we afford it?

His second point is BS for sure but I’m all ears...

Ok.  I was at a traffic light and couldn't elaborate earlier.

1. Too expensive given Malzahn’s buyout. (e.g., Stoops).  BS.  The money is there.  Would we rather not spent that much?  Yes.  But the cost of inaction is becoming increasingly too high.

2. Unproven as head coaches, and likely to be a huge downgrade from Gus. (e.g., Aranda; Venables). Mostly BS.  Unproven?  Perhaps.  So was Smart.  Every head coach is unproven until someone gives him a chance.  Likely a huge downgrade?  Not sure how one can say that with a straight face at this point.

3. Guys who have looked mediocre up to this point in their current jobs. (e.g., Campbell). BS.  None of the ones I've named look mediocre.  Earlier he said Cristobal was "meh" so far at Oregon.  In what universe?

4.  Not a fit for Auburn in terms of values, thus unlikely to be embraced by the fan base (e.g., Kiffin). BS.  At this point, Auburn fans are tired of nice guys who don't cuss and go 8-5.  I'm not saying we have to hire Satan himself, but at this point I just want someone who will win, not embarrass us and not get us on probation.

I was a fan of Gus until what I have seen this season. The team has quit on him and it will show the rest of the season. OM will throw to the end of the earth against us unless drastic changes are made. AD Greene should step in and make changes after this season. What we could do is to fire Gus at the end of the season unless a miracle is in the makings.

We fire him and refuse to pay his buyout and let the courts settle it. However, this would scare off any great coaching hire. I say fire him and pay him 3 million per year for the next 11 years. We could hire any of the following choices for lets say $4.5 million per year. We would equal the 7 million we would pay Gus and have a new coach for the same we would have paid Gus if he was still coaching.

1. Dave Aranda (would be a great hire and would come our way for 4.5 million...he is ready for a HC job, and Auburn would be a great place for him)

2. Mike Norvell (current Memphis coach who has done nothing but win since Fuentes left for VaTech)l

3. Matt Campbell (Iowa State HC...would be a nice hire and a big improvement over Gus)

4. Justin Fuentes (VaTech HC who would be a great hire as well)

5. Brent Venables (DC at Clemson..ready for a HC job and would be a great hire)

6. PJ FLeck (current HC at Minnesota and has a good track record)

7. Jeff Brahm (HC at Purdue and would be an improvement over Gus)

any of these coaches would be a great hire. I like Aranda the best and he would have our defense playing to notch football. There are others including Lane Kiffin. Heck, Les Miles might be a choice. I have a feeling that Gus will be forced to shake up his coaching staff in a big way in order to keep his job. At this point, I would think that Gus may be ready to hang it up after this season if the wheels keep coming off.

One thing that I think will happen will be that Cliff Kingsbury at TTech will be let go after the season ends. He would be a super OC if Gus could let go and be just a CEO and let the new coaching hires do their job. I think we will part ways with Coach Steele in that the defense has gone too far south for any redemption. I would go after Venables at clemson and pay him 2.5 million a year as well as paying Kingsbury the same. This is a stretch in many ways, but we are at the point where something drastic needs to happen.

so many overreactions in this thread.

1) Gus isn't going anywhere anytime soon. The guy was a few plays away from winning it all in 2013, and just last year won the sec west with two all-time performances at the end of the year.  The gus bus has a ton of gas left in it.

2) Gus is still a bigtime coach.  He's the only coach in america who gets under nick's skin and nick fears as well. He's got nick's number, and nick knows it

3) Gus is right to stick with JS.  These couple of rough games for JS may be a blessing in disguise if he ends up staying for his senior year instead of declaring for the nfl draft early

5 minutes ago, LeaderKee4AU said:

To be honest, I’d rather have Bob Stoops as the HC. Give him FULL control of the program.

Heck, I'd take his brother over Gus.  HE is building a program. ....at Kentucky no less....

38 minutes ago, CAReeves2010 said:

exactly what did he say that isn't true?......i'll hang up and listen

1 minute ago, tacosman said:

1) Gus isn't going anywhere anytime soon. The guy was a few plays away from winning it all in 2013, and just last year won the sec west with two all-time performances at the end of the year.  The gus bus has a ton of gas left in it.

2) Gus is still a bigtime coach.  He's the only coach in america who gets under nick's skin and nick fears as well. He's got nick's number, and nick knows it

3) Gus is right to stick with JS.  These couple of rough games for JS may be a blessing in disguise if he ends up staying for his senior year instead of declaring for the nfl draft early

You’re part of the problem 

32 minutes ago, Auhud08 said:

The biggest problem is that any coach who comes here WILL NOT be given full control. If i bought out a coach for $35m then im gonna have a say in what happens thereafter

every time I think about how we lost Smart because of that, I get mad and have to think about something else. The only constant that consistently gets me pissed about Auburn is giving Gus an airtight contract and losing out on Kirby because our BoT thinks we know better than a COACH. EVEN ALABAMA, OSU, CLEMSON, OKLAHOMA, THEY HAVE BEEN TO MULTIPLE TITLES AND THEY DONT DO THAT. WHAT POSSIBLY MAKES US THINK WE DESERVE THAT TYPE OF CONTROL????? 

2 minutes ago, tacosman said:

) Gus is still a bigtime coach.  He's the only coach in america who gets under nick's skin and nick fears as well. He's got nick's number, and nick knows it

oh my goodness....such utter stupidity

1 minute ago, tacosman said:

Since 2013:

8-5
7-6
8-5
10-4
4-3 (so far, with the ceiling looking like 8-5, with 7-6 or 5-7 possible)

In what dream land is that "still a big time coach?"

The ONLY thing that might keep him here next year is the buyout, but that is far from the guarantee I thought it was a few weeks ago. FAR from it.

Archived