Fire Gus (merged threads)

AuburnTiger4Life

I see that laughing stock Coach O has his team fighting with UGA. Very physical game going on. Still going to enjoy some football on my weekend off.

• Replies 672
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, AUFriction said:

I’ve seen several names thrown out. Rather than reply to all of them, I’ll give a reply all here. The names thrown out prior to this point are either:

1. Too expensive given Malzahn’s buyout. (e.g., Stoops)

2. Unproven as head coaches, and likely to be a huge downgrade from Gus. (e.g., Aranda; Venables)

3. Guys who have looked mediocre up to this point in their current jobs. (e.g., Campbell)

4.  Not a fit for Auburn in terms of values, thus unlikely to be embraced by the fan base (e.g., Kiffin)

When things look bad, the grass always appears greener. But the reality is that he may be the best option given our financial limitations.

This mentality earned us the buyout we are currently discussing.

I just hate fear and lack of risk. I choose hope and faith.

Just now, Tigerbelle said:

So would I and I said that a few days ago. But HE may not want AU.......because he loves UAB and he has committed to putting that program on the map. He waited and held on to the hope that the program would be reinstated instead of moving on. 

Yep...he is for sure a great individual. 

6 minutes ago, Deemer 47 said:

Franklin wouldn't come to AU when he is having good success at a school with a great winning tradition. Freeze is overrated and Stoops lost too many big games in the much weaker Big 12, plus I don't think he has the desire anymore. Not really sure who out there is a great hire, but anyone at this point could do no worse in ruining the football careers if talented players. Once again though, the stupidity of AU brass is now showing in full force. Face it, AU is a middle of the road program with a good year here and there sprinkled in. 

Coaching in the SEC is a big appeal to a lot of big name coaches like this. I think we could get him to at least listen. 

But in all seriousness. We may have a shot at Gary Patterson now that Jay is gone🤷🏻‍♂️. That’s who I wanted when we hired Gus. David Shaw would be nice too. James Franklin is my dream hire. If Allen Green could rope in James Franklin I personally give him a foot massage. 😂

1 minute ago, selias said:

1. Stoops isn't coming out of retirement at 58 years old

2. Downgrade from Gus? My nephew's Pop Warner coach shows a better ability for talent utilization than Gussypants.

3. I'm actually cool with staying away from any more Iowa State connections

4. Winning cures all.

1. Stoops may come back, but he’d want more money than we’d be willing to shell out. He’d also clean house coaching wise which means buying out our whole coaching staff. So, he’d not only want a big salary, but he’d also want a huge budget to hire assistants with.

2. Venables and Aranda have interviewed for high profile and low profile head coaching jobs pretty much every year in the last decade. Nobody has hired them.

3. Forget Iowa State specifically. I was just point out that a few of the names mentioned were coaches with only modest success. They remind me a lot of Derek Dooley kinda of coaches. We could end up much worse off with some of those unproven guys.

4. I just flat out disagree here. This is something that has always separated Auburn from some of the other big names schools. The majority of the alumni fan base cares anout reputation. We care about Auburn values and the creed. Bama will hire whatever coach will win. Same with UGA. Auburn has always cared about HOW we win, and has always focused a lot more on cultural fit than these other schools. That’s why alumni are always involved in coaching hires. That’s why questions about values and Auburn culture have always been included in the coach selection process. That’s why Auburn tends to hire a lot of alumni into athletic department and coaching positions. Quite simply, a lot of the fan base would reject guys like petrino or kiffin, so they’d face a constant uphill climb.

10 minutes ago, DAG said:

What?! No crap. I think he would know if he came to Auburn the pressure would be magnified. That would cause most people to have a fire under their butt. Why doesnt our HC get that?

Now we are getting into my realm of expertise. That kind of pressure makes a lot of people crumble.

Just now, AUFriction said:

Now we are getting into my realm of expertise. That kind of pressure makes a lot of people crumble.

Well, you analyzed quite wrongly about our offense this year, no? 

4 minutes ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

But in all seriousness. We may have a shot at Gary Patterson now that Jay is gone🤷🏻‍♂️. That’s who I wanted when we hired Gus. David Shaw would be nice too. James Franklin is my dream hire. If Allen Green could rope in James Franklin I personally give him a foot massage. 😂

See my precious post. He’d fall under category #1. Too expensive given the full staff buyout.

Just now, DAG said:

Well, you analyzed quite wrongly about our offense this year, no? 

I never posted my preseason analysis of this season on here. But, if you want to know, I said this season would hinge on OL development. I figured the offense would be a work in progress this season. I figured the speed at which the OL improved would affect how well we would do. I had projections stemming from 5-7 to 11-1 depending on how quickly they developed. I ended up being right.

1 minute ago, AUFriction said:

I never posted my preseason analysis of this season on here. But, if you want to know, I said this season would hinge on OL development. I figured the offense would be a work in progress this season. I figured the speed at which the OL improved would affect how well we would do. I had projections stemming from 5-7 to 11-1 depending on how quickly they developed. I ended up being right.

Not so fast...We still have work to do to get to 5 wins.

No , you got upset when a few of us said, we need to worry about how our offensive line is producing. You specifically made a thread telling us to pump the brakes because in the past our offense has looked like this and it turned for the better. However, you dismissed the opposing argument of obvious regression that was noted.It’s well documented. 

7 minutes ago, AUFriction said:

4. I just flat out disagree here. This is something that has always separated Auburn from some of the other big names schools. The majority of the alumni fan base cares anout reputation. We care about Auburn values and the creed. Bama will hire whatever coach will win. Same with UGA. Auburn has always cared about HOW we win, and has always focused a lot more on cultural fit than these other schools. That’s why alumni are always involved in coaching hires. That’s why questions about values and Auburn culture have always been included in the coach selection process. That’s why Auburn tends to hire a lot of alumni into athletic department and coaching positions. Quite simply, a lot of the fan base would reject guys like petrino or kiffin, so they’d face a constant uphill climb.

I love AU, but that's laughable. We have been on probation more times in our history than just about any other school out there.  Get outta here with this holier than thou BS.

http://hasgusmalzahnbeenfiredyet.com/

Gus Malzahn: By The Numbers

As of Saturday, October 13th, 2018, Gus Malzahn is:

• 2-3 vs. Alabama [1]
  • 2-4 vs. Georgia [2, 8]
  • 2-4 vs. LSU [3, 4, 10]
  • 1-4 in bowl games [5, 6]
  • 0-3 in bowl games vs. Power-5 teams
  • 0-7 in Baton Rouge, Athens and Tuscaloosa
  • 26-18 vs. SEC opponents
  • 10-9 vs. SEC opponents on the road
  • 4-5 vs. non-conference Power-5 teams
  • 2 NY6 bowl appearances (0-2 in them) [7, 9]
  • 1st loss to a non-Power 5 team in 27 years [9]
  • 1st loss to Tennessee in 19 years (20 years at home) [12]
  • 0 playoff appearances
  • 0 National titles

5 minutes ago, weathergeakal said:

Buffalo's coach will get a look just on the connection

He's damn good too.  Won 6 natties in 8 years at D3 and has turned Buffalo into a winner after rebuilding that dumpster fire.

4 minutes ago, DAG said:

No , you got upset when a few of us said, we need to worry about how our offensive line is producing. You specifically made a thread telling us to pump the brakes because in the past our offense has looked like this and it turned for the better. However, you dismissed the opposing argument of obvious regression that was noted.It’s well documented. 

I said pump the breaks. We only lost 1 game by 1 point to a top 10 team. At that point, I thought there was a chance we might see progress in the last 2 weeks. I wasn’t giving a projection. I was saying that there’s still time for the offense to improve and us to still be in the mix.

A lot of posters on this forum have a tendency to always assume the worst. I’m just less quick to panic I guess. Maybe it’s my analytics background...?

I said pump the breaks. We only lost 1 game by 1 point to a top 10 team. At that point, I thought there was a chance we might see progress in the last 2 weeks. I wasn’t giving a projection. I was saying that there’s still time for the offense to improve and us to still be in the mix.

A lot of posters on this forum have a tendency to always assume the worst. I’m just less quick to panic I guess. Maybe it’s my analytics background...?

Gus Malzahn: By The Numbers

As of Saturday, October 13th, 2018, Gus Malzahn is:

• 2-3 vs. Alabama [1]
  • 2-4 vs. Georgia [2, 8]
  • 2-4 vs. LSU [3, 4, 10]
  • 1-4 in bowl games [5, 6]
  • 0-3 in bowl games vs. Power-5 teams
  • 0-7 in Baton Rouge, Athens and Tuscaloosa
  • 26-18 vs. SEC opponents
  • 10-9 vs. SEC opponents on the road
  • 4-5 vs. non-conference Power-5 teams
  • 2 NY6 bowl appearances (0-2 in them) [7, 9]
  • 1st loss to a non-Power 5 team in 27 years [9]
  • 1st loss to Tennessee in 19 years (20 years at home) [12]
  • 0 playoff appearances
  • 0 National titles

1 minute ago, AUFriction said:

Fair enough. But you can admit now , there is a reason to have concern , right?

11 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

I love AU, but that's laughable. We have been on probation more times in our history than just about any other school out there.  Get outta here with this holier than thou BS.

I’ve seen it. When we fired Chizik and were even considering petrino, most of the auburn alumni I know personally were saying that they wouldn’t watch Auburn Football if we hired Petrino. They weren’t just blowing smoke. They were serious about it.

Most of the folks I know also think that we’ve been unfairly sanctioned many of those times you referred to.

Archived