Fire Gus (merged threads)

AuburnTiger4Life

3 minutes ago, AUFriction said:

I said pump the breaks. We only lost 1 game by 1 point to a top 10 team. At that point, I thought there was a chance we might see progress in the last 2 weeks. I wasn’t giving a projection. I was saying that there’s still time for the offense to improve and us to still be in the mix.

A lot of posters on this forum have a tendency to always assume the worst. I’m just less quick to panic I guess. Maybe it’s my analytics background...?

No, I have that background as well, it's something else in your personality

• Replies 672
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You know who’d probably be a great hire and we may get him relatively cheap? Dino Babers ! That guy would single handedly pump Auburn’s life back into it.

I would be interested to see what someone like Lane could do with the speed we have on our team..wellany offensive mind.

1 minute ago, DAG said:

I would be interested to see what someone like Lane could do with the speed we have on our team..wellany offensive mind.

Umm. But we have THE offensive mind now and haven’t gotten anything.

Just anyone that prioritizes offensive line recruiting. No idea why gus never has. And it's starting to really bite him in hte ass after all the transfers and Jeff Grimes recruits are gone. Six years in and the only good OL recruit he's had is braden smith.

2 minutes ago, DAG said:

I'd personally be okay with Lane.

I'll assume he has matured a bit and can handle himself with some class by now.

With that said, I'd make HIM have to pay the large buyout after what he did to UT.

7 minutes ago, DAG said:

Fair enough. But you can admit now , there is a reason to have concern , right?

Absolutely.

I just don’t think firing Gus immediately is the way to address it. I’d expect some staff changes in the off-season, and to be in the mix for the championship next year. If that’s not what happens, then I’d drop Gus maybe after next season. Dropping him at this point would potentially leave us worse off. We’d have to probably hire someone that’s unproven if we fire Gus this year. It seems like the teams that have done that lately haven’t done so well.

6 minutes ago, cole256 said:

No, I have that background as well, it's something else in your personality

I actually have a pretty stable personality... Nice job keeping this discussion mature and non-personal though...

1 minute ago, AUFriction said:

Absolutely.

I just don’t think firing Gus immediately is the way to address it. I’d expect some staff changes in the off-season, and to be in the mix for the championship next year. If that’s not what happens, then I’d drop Gus maybe after next season. Dropping him at this point would potentially leave us worse off. We’d have to probably hire someone that’s unproven if we fire Gus this year. It seems like the teams that have done that lately haven’t done so well.

I understand and might usually agree, in theory.

However, I'd settle for "unproven" over "proven to suck" at this point.

1 hour ago, AubFanCT said:

All joking aside. After today we will be 4-3. 5 games left. We beat Liberty, maybe split if we r lucky with Ole Miss and A&M and for sure THUGA and Bama take us behind the woodshed.  Does that not warrant CGM getting canned? 

With that record I expect he gets another extension...

3 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

I understand and might usually agree, in theory.

However, I'd settle for "unproven" over "proven to suck" at this point.

Yep that’s my point. This guy is consistently inconsistent . It is not going to change.

2 hours ago, Deemer 47 said:

I agree whole heartedly. It won't happen, but I believe he has lost the team and has now or is in the process of losing the fan base. They actually suck to watch. My 73 year old father has season tix and drives from ATL to every home game. He's asked me, but I refuse to waste a whole Saturday to watch division 2 football. This is my opinion so nothing anyone says against what I believe matters to me. I have been a fan since I was old enough to watch the game of football. I have never quit on the team and never will, but I believe this was the wrong hire from the beginning and anyone who knows what a football is should now be able to realize it as well. My guess is we are stuck with a moron of a coach for at least 2 more years so the buyout shrinks some. Of course very few coaches have the dignity to notice they are not good at their job and resign instead. AU has been and for the next few years will remain a mediocre program that has a good season every few years. What a waste of all the talent by a coaching staff that is being led by a blind moron of epic proportions. I will continue to love AU, but just like today, I am now going outside to do something productive rather than waste the rest of the day watching poor football play by the team I love.  

Poor elderly dad, missing quality time with his son because a team isn't good. I'd kill for that chance.

There is a legit shot to by season's end to have followed up the exhilaration of the 2017 amen corner by going 5-9, 1-9 in the SEC, with one win over a ranked team, and that was mostly due to a extra effort play by a LB in the red zone. 

Pump some sunshine into that for me.

Hey, the bright side.... The LSU loss ain't looking so bad right now...  

tenor.gif

3 minutes ago, johnnyAU said:

There is a legit shot to by season's end to have followed up the exhilaration of the 2017 amen corner by going 5-9, 1-9 in the SEC, with one win over a ranked team, and that was mostly due to a extra effort play by a LB in the red zone. 

Pump some sunshine into that for me.

Don't confuse us with facts Johnny....it's Gus...c'mon man...

If I were gus; I go tomorrow and offer to walk for $20m; go buy a Waffle House franchise and then just call into Finebaum every day and become an instant expert .  

Gus has forced me to pull against my beloved Auburn and hope they lose each and every game until he is removed. Nothing else will get him fired!  The only duffus bigger than Gus is Jay Jacobs, who I believe intentionally screwed AU players and it’s fans.

I was at Lake Martin last week and saw the lake house Gus is building. It was disgusting to see his palace being built at the expense of all Auburn fans.

1 minute ago, TucsonTiger said:

Gus has forced me to pull against my beloved Auburn and hope they lose each and every game until he is removed. Nothing else will get him fired!  The only duffus bigger than Gus is Jay Jacobs, who I believe intentionally screwed AU players and it’s fans.

I was at Lake Martin last week and saw the lake house Gus is building. It was disgusting to see his palace being built at the expense of all Auburn fans.

No if they are your beloved tigers, no way you pull against them. 

Oh my goodness...I just saw the highlights of the game.  It seems our QB play is a dumpster fire.  How many turnovers has the QB accounted for in the last 4 games?  8?  9?  

I also just heard the TN coach speak for the 1st time...this has to be the worst insult of all....Gus just lost to Gus.

49 minutes ago, AUFriction said:

1. Stoops may come back, but he’d want more money than we’d be willing to shell out. He’d also clean house coaching wise which means buying out our whole coaching staff. So, he’d not only want a big salary, but he’d also want a huge budget to hire assistants with.

2. Venables and Aranda have interviewed for high profile and low profile head coaching jobs pretty much every year in the last decade. Nobody has hired them.

3. Forget Iowa State specifically. I was just point out that a few of the names mentioned were coaches with only modest success. They remind me a lot of Derek Dooley kinda of coaches. We could end up much worse off with some of those unproven guys.

4. I just flat out disagree here. This is something that has always separated Auburn from some of the other big names schools. The majority of the alumni fan base cares anout reputation. We care about Auburn values and the creed. Bama will hire whatever coach will win. Same with UGA. Auburn has always cared about HOW we win, and has always focused a lot more on cultural fit than these other schools. That’s why alumni are always involved in coaching hires. That’s why questions about values and Auburn culture have always been included in the coach selection process. That’s why Auburn tends to hire a lot of alumni into athletic department and coaching positions. Quite simply, a lot of the fan base would reject guys like petrino or kiffin, so they’d face a constant uphill climb.

Really???? Values??? Remember Dye and Bowden? Please don't act as if AU is innocent and is so hell bent on doing everything the right way. When is the last time UGA was on probation and missed bowl games. Bottom line is, Auburn is world class at screwing up when it comes to hiring football coaches. 

53 minutes ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

But in all seriousness. We may have a shot at Gary Patterson now that Jay is gone🤷🏻‍♂️. That’s who I wanted when we hired Gus. David Shaw would be nice too. James Franklin is my dream hire. If Allen Green could rope in James Franklin I personally give him a foot massage. 😂

I'm marking this spot just in case.

22 minutes ago, smackydoodle said:

Poor elderly dad, missing quality time with his son because a team isn't good. I'd kill for that chance.

Don't be a moron. He is not elderly and can spend his money any way he wants to. Personally I have seen nothing from auburn football since 2010 to warrant me wasting a Saturday. Maybe when u grow up you will understand. 

2 hours ago, doverstutts said:

thats a lot of money....after this year it would be 75% of 42 million

Correct. Stupidity seems to reign at AU year in and year out. AU is a great place for a coach to come have a few mediocre years, get bought out and be financially secure the rest of his life! Who wouldn't want to coach here? It's really pathetic. 

Archived