Who would replace Malzahn (merged threads again)

tigerbrotha12

Coaches  

361 members have voted

1. 1. Which coach would you like to see at AU next?

• Bob Stoops
    • James Franklin
    • Mario Cristobal
    • Brett Venables
    • Hugh Freeze
    • Art Briles
    • Kevin Steele
    • Lane Kiffin
    • Bill Clark
    • Other (Specify in comments)

5 minutes ago, AUCE05 said:

He almost beat our 2013 team. 

Almost beat the 2013 and it was the first game of the season

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Reading this thread is like being on a diet while your friends around you are eating fried chicken and apple pie. Looks so good but you know you can't have it yet...

If Gus goes 8-4 and loses to UGA and Bama, probably will be fired. He will take his $20+ million buyout and become the new HC at Arkansas.

Here's a name nobody has mentioned who's gone under the radar: Tom Allen at Indiana

Indiana is 6-2 right now and just beat Nebraska.  Allen has coached in the SEC. He was the LB/ST coach at Ole Miss under Hugh Freeze from 2012-2014. Then Allen spent one year as South Florida's DC in 2015.

Some may remember that Allen was a candidate to be our DC at the end of 2015 after Muschamp left but we ended up hiring Kevin Steele.

Allen is the lowest paid coach in the Big Ten. 

BIG TEN COACHES SALARIES

1. Jim Harbaugh, Michigan  ...........  $7.504,000
  2. Jeff Brohm, Purdue  ....................  $6,600,000
  3. James Franklin, Penn State  .......  $5,650,000
  4. Pat Fitzgerald, Northwestern .....  $5,144,937
  5. Scott Frost, Nebraska  .................  $5,000,000
  6. Kirk Ferentz, Iowa  ......................   $4,800,000
  7. Ryan Day, Ohio State  .................. $4,500.000
  8. Mark Dantonio, Michigan State .. $4,399,437
  9. Paul Chryst, Wisconsin  ..............  $4,150,000
  10. Lovie Smith, Illinois  ..................    $4,000.000
  11. P.J. Fleck, Minnesota  ................   $3,600,000
  12. Mike Locksley, Maryland ............  $2,500,000
  13. Chris Ash, Rutgers  ...................     $2,300,000
  14. Tom Allen, Indiana   .................... $1,805,000

https://www.si.com/college/indiana/football/indiana-tom-allen-salary-last-big-ten/

My favorites are............

1. Bob Stoops (Oklahoma legend...knows how to win big)

2. Matt Rhule (Baylor) He has turned around 2 bad programs Temple & Baylor.

3. PJ Fleck (has turned around bad programs in his young career and has Minnesota playing lights out)

4. Bill Clark, UAB (Like Lazarus in the Bible....he resurrected that program from the dead.)

5. Mike Norvell (has done wonders at Memphis)

Any of these coaches would be a super hire no doubt.  I do not see the love for Cristobal. I know he is doing well at Oregon, but was not a good HC in his previous stint. I would like to get a young HC, but Stoops transcends the age barrier. 

I am not big on hiring a coordinator as HC when there are so many very good HCs out there that would come to Auburn for the right price. I would love to see Brent Dearmon as the OC. He has woeful Kansas putting up some big numbers. Whoever gets the gig, should make absolutely sure to keep Kevin Steele as DC as well as Garner the D-line coach.  He has proven himself worthy time after time.  If Gus could run the offense as well as Steele does the defense, we would be undefeated and likely ranked #1 in the country. 

2 hours ago, selias said:

Almost beat the 2013 and it was the first game of the season

Funny.  Actually quite a few teams almost beat the 2013 team.  Les Miles actually DID.  

20 minutes ago, doc4aday said:

My favorites are............

1. Bob Stoops (Oklahoma legend...knows how to win big)

2. Matt Rhule (Baylor) He has turned around 2 bad programs Temple & Baylor.

3. PJ Fleck (has turned around bad programs in his young career and has Minnesota playing lights out)

4. Bill Clark, UAB (Like Lazarus in the Bible....he resurrected that program from the dead.)

5. Mike Norvell (has done wonders at Memphis)

Any of these coaches would be a super hire no doubt.  I do not see the love for Cristobal. I know he is doing well at Oregon, but was not a good HC in his previous stint. I would like to get a young HC, but Stoops transcends the age barrier. 

Norvell intrigues me.  He’s a Gus protege but I haven’t seen enough to know if it’d be getting more of the same.  I’ve heard people insinuate that he wouldn’t be a good hire for other big time jobs due to some vague reason.  Memphis has been consistently good since he’s gotten there.  May be a better fit at Arkansas to see how he does at a big time program.

PJ is also interesting but I need to see another season at Minnesota to prove this year isn’t just a weak schedule or a lucky year.

4 hours ago, bigbird said:

Lashlee

Pat Nix HC with Lashlee as OC. That would be the most Auburn thing to do.

I have decided they should hire me. I'd take 1.5 million a year dump the rest into coordinators, allow them hire/select their own staff. Walk up and down the field and act like Im on the headset talking to them and only make the calls for going for it on 4th and stuff. Then show up at all your guys QB clubs and brag about how awesome my staff is, and the facilities that I need, and take all your money for the good of my program.

16 minutes ago, Texan4Auburn said:

Pat Nix HC with Lashlee as OC. That would be the most Auburn thing to do.

I have decided they should hire me. I'd take 1.5 million a year dump the rest into coordinators, allow them hire/select their own staff. Walk up and down the field and act like Im on the headset talking to them and only make the calls for going for it on 4th and stuff. Then show up at all your guys QB clubs and brag about how awesome my staff is, and the facilities that I need, and take all your money for the good of my program.

FE60E12A-605F-4D92-BE2A-58F913299DEF.gif

50 minutes ago, Texan4Auburn said:

outstanding!.jpg

6 minutes ago, cctiger said:

outstanding!.jpg

Any Gunnery Sgt. Hartman references get a 👍.

The Auburn fan credo...

giphy (2).gif

I'm going to need to hear this again from @bigbird or @ellitoror wde or someone else who's connected... can we actually pay Gus $25 million to disappear if November bottoms out again and the locker room implodes? I can't find anything that says a buyout near that amount has ever been paid to a college coach. That seems like an amount of money that's going to warp the space time continuum around college football. As much as we're pulling our hair out I have to believe he's here at least one more year unless him and the admin negotiate a departure so they can both save face.

1 minute ago, WalkingCarpet said:

I'm going to need to hear this again from @bigbird or @ellitoror wde or someone else who's connected... can we actually pay Gus $25 million to disappear if November bottoms out again and the locker room implodes? I can't find anything that says a buyout near that amount has ever been paid to a college coach. That seems like an amount of money that's going to warp the space time continuum around college football. As much as we're pulling our hair out I have to believe he's here at least one more year unless him and the admin negotiate a departure so they can both save face.

The money is there. It all comes down to how we look in our losses (yes, Mikey...if we lose). No matter what some say, the UF and  LSU performances hurt Gus.

Joey bailing mid-season is a bad look. The handling of his situation and the explanation given was not sufficient. It's not the first time in his tenure where the locker room is in jeopardy. 

3 minutes ago, bigbird said:

The money is there. It all comes down to how we look in our losses (yes, Mikey...if we lose). No matter what some say, the UF and  LSU performances hurt Gus.

Joey bailing mid-season is a bad look. The handling of his situation and the explanation given was not sufficient. It's not the first time in his tenure where the locker room is in jeopardy. 

Am I wrong in thinking that if the buyout was $10 million his job would be riding on the Georgia game?

7 minutes ago, WalkingCarpet said:

Am I wrong in thinking that if the buyout was $10 million his job would be riding on the Georgia game?

If it were 10 million, Gus wouldn't have been our coach for Purdue

9 hours ago, bigbird said:

If it were 10 million, Gus wouldn't have been our coach for Purdue

I still can't help but wonder if the AU PTB can't scrounge up 10 gazillionaires that love AU Football to chip in a couple million each (which would be considered chump change)? 

I admit though, I wondered this after the GA game last year too, so guess I'm wrong.

Archived