Who would replace Malzahn (merged threads again)

tigerbrotha12

Coaches  

361 members have voted

1. 1. Which coach would you like to see at AU next?

• Bob Stoops
    • James Franklin
    • Mario Cristobal
    • Brett Venables
    • Hugh Freeze
    • Art Briles
    • Kevin Steele
    • Lane Kiffin
    • Bill Clark
    • Other (Specify in comments)

HC: Art Briles

OC: Kliff Kingsbury

DC: Gene Chizik

They're all available.  Let's get serious and just do this.  We'll push Nicky into early retirement.   :hellyeah:

Make it happen.   Make it happen...

Makeithappen.gif

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, AURealist said:

HC: Art Briles

OC: Kliff Kingsbury

DC: Gene Chizik

They're all available.  Let's get serious and just do this.  We'll push Nicky into early retirement.   :hellyeah:

Make it happen.   Make it happen...

Makeithappen.gif

Yeah, I don’t see us ever touching Daddy Briles. Even if we were willing to commit, I think there’s a good chance he’s suffered the Tiger Woods effect (not being the same after a major scandal—Petrino comes to mind). 

10 hours ago, AUwent said:

Yeah, I don’t see us ever touching Daddy Briles. Even if we were willing to commit, I think there’s a good chance he’s suffered the Tiger Woods effect (not being the same after a major scandal—Petrino comes to mind). 

I agree Art Briles is on the NCAA blacklist. Auburn would get crucified for even feigning interest in Art Briles

7 minutes ago, JBiGGiE said:

I agree Art Briles is on the NCAA blacklist. Auburn would get crucified for even feigning interest in Art Briles

Fortuna favors the bold.  

If we want to win, a bold move is needed.  Yet another poorly-reasoned desperation hire means at least 5 more years of being Nicky's beyotch.  

In case you haven't noticed, AU gets slammed no matter what we do.  Let the critics argue with our success. 

Bruce was an unfavored decision.  How's that working out?

I think if we part ways with Gus, it will be an up and comer coming to the Plains. (Mike Norvell, Matt Campbell, Brian Harsin, Lance Leipold, maybe Brohm, Bill Clark, John Grass & who knows!

29 minutes ago, AURealist said:

Fortuna favors the bold.  

If we want to win, a bold move is needed.  Yet another poorly-reasoned desperation hire means at least 5 more years of being Nicky's beyotch.  

In case you haven't noticed, AU gets slammed no matter what we do.  Let the critics argue with our success. 

Bruce was an unfavored decision.  How's that working out?

Bruce Pearl hosted a recruit at a bar-b-que that he shouldn't have been at (and served his time). Art Briles covered up rape. There's unfavorable decisions, and then there's suicidal...

I'm all for going big and bold. But Art Briles ain't it chief. 

2 minutes ago, doc4aday said:

I think if we part ways with Gus, it will be an up and comer coming to the Plains. (Mike Norvell, Matt Campbell, Brian Harsin, Lance Leipold, maybe Brohm, Bill Clark, John Grass & who knows!

I would be interested in seeing how Leipold could do at the Power 5 level. I was on the fence when we were all doing this last year because he hadn't done much during his time at UB, but, the dude was a rock-star in Div-2 and now has Buffalo @ 10-3 with a heart-break loss in the MAC Championship. And we know the guy who hired him at Buffalo. Would it be a total Auburn move? Yeah, but compared to everything else going on, I'd take it.

We won't get Brohm, the dude just signed a $6M deal not to come home to Louisville.

I think Bill Clark is a harder grab since signing his extension at UAB.

Bryan Harsin is an interesting watch. He had one year of  head coaching experience (where've I heard that one before) at Arky State, didn't do great before bolting for Boise. We're also talking a Boise that just saw Chris Peterson leave for Washington. So I'm skeptical that Harsin is perhaps just reaping the benefits of what Peterson built. I would say a similar argument could be made for John Glass who is continuing what Bill Clark started.

Norvell wouldn't be a bad grab for the right price... Campbell either but he might get snatched up by the NFL is the rumor that's going around.

Personally I'm like many others, if you're going to spend the ludicrously large amount of money buying out Gus Malzahn's contract, you need to consider that despite his tendencies he is the only active SEC coach with victories over Alabama and his head-coaching record is within the top 25 of winningest active head coaches. Not that is a defense of Gus, but don't spend that kind of money hoping some up-and-comer will turn things around. And unfortunately better options that are both financially feasible and interested in Auburn are few and far between.

1 hour ago, JBiGGiE said:

Bruce Pearl hosted a recruit at a bar-b-que that he shouldn't have been at (and served his time). Art Briles covered up rape. There's unfavorable decisions, and then there's suicidal...

I'm all for going big and bold. But Art Briles ain't it chief. 

Make them say 'no'.  Maybe they'll investigate and do more than take the Baylor PTB's word for it.

2 hours ago, doc4aday said:

I would be THRILLED with Campbell. Though I might sour on that if they end up losing today.

Of course, you all know I want Venables, but I guess we wouldn't hire him. (It always POs me when people say there's a bad rumor but never actually say what it is.)

The coach of the G5 NY6 representative is traditionally *the* candidate. As I've said, the trouble is that this year that (probable) team was built by another coach. So hopefully someone else rises up next year--not as improbable as you might think, because before last year, who would've wanted Frost?

22 minutes ago, AUwent said:

Of course, you all know I want Venables, but I guess we wouldn't hire him. (It always POs me when people say there's a bad rumor but never actually say what it is.)

how bad could the rumors be if he's the defensive coordinator for one of the three top programs in the country right now?

Unless I hear specifics, I'm calling BS on there beingsomething in his past that prohibits him from being considered for a head coaching position.

1 minute ago, Auburn Kev said:

how bad could the rumors be if he's the defensive coordinator for one of the three top programs in the country right now?

Until I hear something specific I'm calling BS on something in his past that prohibiting him from being considered for a head coaching position.

giphy.gif

1 hour ago, AURealist said:

Make them say 'no'.  Maybe they'll investigate and do more than take the Baylor PTB's word for it.

Make who say "no"?

I really don't want to start an argument here, but it takes 2 seconds to Google "Baylor Title IX investigation". It does not look good for Art and the assistants/handlers who were involved.

But for the sake of argument, say it comes to lights in the future that Art Briles actually did everything he was suppose to do, or could do within the scope of his knowledge of the situation. Auburn, right now, is not going to make a $32M+ gamble that Art Briles might  be exonerated of these allegations. BTW that gamble also comes with the very real risk that the investigation outright condemns Art Briles.

State media may be one thing, and it's another thing to be mocked by the national media for the circus that's going on within the administration right now... but if you really want Auburn to be unilaterally vilified, then go ahead and hire Art Briles. No amount, and I mean no amount, of success will win anybody over.

I can read you the headline of that breaking news article:

"Auburn Invites Rape Culture Onto Campus, Hires Art Briles As Head Football Coach"

Again. Hard pass on Briles.

12 minutes ago, JBiGGiE said:

Make who say "no"?

I really don't want to start an argument here, but it takes 2 seconds to Google "Baylor Title IX investigation". It does not look good for Art and the assistants/handlers who were involved.

But for the sake of argument, say it comes to lights in the future that Art Briles actually did everything he was suppose to do, or could do within the scope of his knowledge of the situation. Auburn, right now, is not going to make a $32M+ gamble that Art Briles might  be exonerated of these allegations. BTW that gamble also comes with the very real risk that the investigation outright condemns Art Briles.

State media may be one thing, and it's another thing to be mocked by the national media for the circus that's going on within the administration right now... but if you really want Auburn to be unilaterally vilified, then go ahead and hire Art Briles. No amount, and I mean no amount, of success will win anybody over.

"Auburn Invites Rape Culture Onto Campus, Hires Art Briles As Head Football Coach"

Yeah you're correct. On top of all that, Briles might not be the same coach he was before anyways. Not saying it wouldn't be a quandary if we knew for sure his ability wasn't affected, mind you.

2 hours ago, JBiGGiE said:

Make who say "no"?

https://www.burntorangenation.com/2018/1/8/16857864/major-applewhite-kendal-briles-randy-clements-hire-houston-cougars

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/sports/columnists/dialcreech/article/UH-sends-wrong-message-in-hiring-Kendal-Briles-12478485.php

Not Kirby Smart.lol

Looks like Bill Clark has a good shot to be the next Auburn HC in 2020.

Bill Clark just beat MTSU 27-25. Last week, his team lost to MTSU 27-3. 

THAT is what it means to be a head coach. You get dominated and seven days later you not only make adjustments but you also convince your kids you will beat a team that JUST clobbered you? Impressive.

I prayed last year that we would go after Mike Norvall at Memphis and try to keep Kevin Steele and the D coaches in tact. Using arky to drive up Malzhan’s “value” was insane. I was miserable before the season, knowing that we’d just given a crackpot a $49M deal. How much worse would this season have been with Norvall at AU and Gus in Fayetteville?  The argument that we would have lost recruits is a not worth the damage done by extending his contract and making him one of the top 5 highest paid coaches in football.  Fast forward a year after the Malzahn/Sexton fleecing, and we’re in the same predicament, only significantly poorer and miserable. The $49M contract set AU back for years. 

1 hour ago, auburndkel said:

I prayed last year that we would go after Mike Norvall at Memphis and try to keep Kevin Steele and the D coaches in tact. Using arky to drive up Malzhan’s “value” was insane. I was miserable before the season, knowing that we’d just given a crackpot a $49M deal. How much worse would this season have been with Norvall at AU and Gus in Fayetteville?  The argument that we would have lost recruits is a not worth the damage done by extending his contract and making him one of the top 5 highest paid coaches in football.  Fast forward a year after the Malzahn/Sexton fleecing, and we’re in the same predicament, only significantly poorer and miserable. The $49M contract set AU back for years. 

Apparently Norvall has some gambling in his past...that’s why Arkansas didn’t pursue him. Heard through the rumor mill and grapevine of the hills.

4 hours ago, DAG said:

Apparently Norvall has some gambling in his past...that’s why Arkansas didn’t pursue him. Heard through the rumor mill and grapevine of the hills.

That's what I had heard as well.  

Another year HC experience for Heuple...

Another year learning under Riley for Beamer...

Another year of learning the SECs offensive tendencies for Aranda...

Archived