tiger talk ole miss version

aubiefifty

What Gus Malzahn said about Ole Miss, offensive changes on 'Tiger Talk'

Updated Oct 18, 6:32 PM; Posted Oct 18, 6:00 PM

Auburn coach Gus Malzahn will join host Rod Bramblett for his weekly appearance on the "Tiger Talk" radio show to preview the Tigers' trip to Ole Miss. (Todd Van Emst/Auburn Athletics)

0 shares

By Tom Green

tgreen@al.com

Gus Malzahn will make his weekly appearance on the "Tiger Talk" radio show at 6 p.m. to give his final thoughts on this weekend's matchup with Ole Miss.

The Tigers (4-3, 1-3 SEC) travel to face the Rebels (5-2, 1-2) at 11 a.m. Saturday, with the game airing on ESPN. Auburn will try to snap a two-game losing streak when it takes on Ole Miss at Vaught-Hemingway Stadium.

Below is a quick recap of what Malzahn said on the show, which was broadcast live on these affiliates and streamed online at AuburnTigers.com.

Full audio of the show will be available on AL.com Friday morning.

GUS MALZAHN

-- "Tweaks" include changing some things up in practice and off the field, as well. "There'll be some new things out there," he says, while remaining vague.

-- Team's mindset? "We've got great leadership, got a bunch of great coaches... Obviously we're disappointed, but our guys are going to keep fighting."

-- Have to stop shooting selves in foot, eliminate mistakes.

-- Can't turn the ball over. Can't give up third-and-long conversions.

-- Low, long, rolling punts from a return standpoint? Believes team's special teams success early in the season has led to more low punts, as well as team's kicking away from Noah Igbinoghene on kickoffs.

-- On Arryn Siposs: He's been a breath of fresh air. Ball placement has been excellent, flips the field. He's become a team favorite.

-- Larry Porter has done a "super job" with approach and fundamentals in kicking game.

-- AL.com question of the week from Adam in Foley: Any changes from a personnel standpoint this week? "Yeah, like I said, there'll be some tweaks. I don't want to say much about personnel and everything that goes with it."

-- AL.com question of the week: How do you slow down Ole Miss' receivers? "The challenge for defending those guys is, yeah the receivers are special and the quarterback is pretty good too, but their offensive line" is experienced and good. "It's not just take away the receivers."

-- "I don't know if there's anyone we've played that's similar to" Ole Miss QB Jordan Ta'amu, who can pass and run well.

-- Scottie Phillips and the offensive line have impressed Malzahn. Rebels' run game is much improved from previous years.

-- On Ryan Davis approaching career reception record (needs nine more): "That'd be real special for him. He's a wonderful person.... He's done a super job just leading, not just the offense, but the entire team."

-- On Stidham handling things: "He's disappointed. He's a competitor. He's continuing to fight." Knows he needs to play better and protect football. "More than anything, he's ready to get back out there."

-- How to get Anthony Schwartz more involved? "He's not just a fast guy; he's a football player. He's really rare.... He'll be a bigger part of the gameplan the rest of the season, and he'll be on the field more."

-- On Malik Willis: "I think everything's a possibility at this point." Says they need to do whatever they can to score points. "We'll be creative."

-- Lauds Wesley McGriff, the Ole Miss DC who was Auburn's defensive backs coach in 2016.

-- "We got to continue to build upon" the tempo and stuff offense has been able to do in spurts.

-- "It's about execution. It's about taking care of the football and not beating yourself."

-- On dealing with outside noise: Says they try to protect the players and keep them in a good frame of mind. Adds they're pretty isolated.

-- No Jeremiah Dinson for first half: "That's a challenge, no doubt. He's like a coach on the field... That's a tough blow, but at the same time we got younger guys that are getting better." His return in second half will give defense a "big boost."

-- Stresses importance of a quick start, especially with early game on the road.

-- Boobee Whitlow still day-to-day, will be a game-time decision. No update on Marlon Davidson (ankle) or Jamel Dean (shoulder), who have been day-to-day this week.

Tom Green is an Auburn beat reporter for Alabama Media Group. Follow him on Twitter @Tomas_Verde.

I did not detect anything in those comments that gives me confidence we are going to TAKE IT to Ole Miss.

7 minutes ago, ChltteTiger said:

I did not detect anything in those comments that gives me confidence we are going to TAKE IT to Ole Miss.

This may be the Gusonian version of the classic rope-a-dope!

3 hours ago, wareagleguy said:

This may be the Gusonian version of the classic rope-a-dope!

He already used that. We are all the dopes.

Gus has or will dished out the same BS he's been telling us for 6 years now. I'm tired of it, and I'm NOT listening to it any longer.

• WarTiger changed the title to tiger talk ole miss version
13 hours ago, auburn4ever said:

Gus has or will dished out the same BS he's been telling us for 6 years now. I'm tired of it, and I'm NOT listening to it any longer.

I totally agree. He says the same thing  every press conference. "we've got to get better".. I am really sick of hearing that. I don't think he knows what else to say.. JMO

WDE

1 minute ago, Slammer1 said:

I totally agree. He says the same thing  every press conference. "we've got to get better".. I am really sick of hearing that. I don't think he knows what else to say.. JMO

WDE

Well, he is right, we do have to get better.  The problem is that he has no clue how to make that happen.  And of course, he won't listen to anybody who may have a clue.  

15 minutes ago, around4ever said:

Well, he is right, we do have to get better.  The problem is that he has no clue how to make that happen.  And of course, he won't listen to anybody who may have a clue.  

Well like Big Bird has said LSU's Coach O has the respect of his players and let's his coordinators do their job. We have seen what LSU has  accomplished  with Coach O. Gus just can't let go of the reins and let ours do their jobs.. I read where Jeremy Pruitt was reading all our plays by the personnel we had in the game. As for the HUNH that is simply solved by our opponents getting hurt at  "appropriate times". Its something that can't really be argued but is very effective at slowing us down.Also, Stidham  is not exactly tearing it up either. JMO

WDE

Archived