Brown Liquor Time

fredst

11 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

More accurate than you know. It was over 20 years ago! :(

My first trip to Yellowstone was in the early 90’s. Going back a couple of years ago was magical. I can’t freaking wait to hit Glacier. The pictures I’ve seen are breathtaking. I also really want to go back to Yosemite. Arches and Big Bend are also on my list. Dammit, I need some time off and some free money.

Edited by Tiger Refuge
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, Tiger Refuge said:

My first trip to Yellowstone was in the early 90’s. Going back a couple of years ago was magical. I can’t freaking wait to hit Glacier. The pictures I’ve seen are breathtaking. I also really want to go back to Yosemite. Arches and Big Bend are also on my list. Dammit, I need some time off and some free money.

Yeah. Those things.

Arches is cool. And that's such a target rich area. I really need to get to Zion. Okay, so that's on the other side of Utah, but still. Utah is just another planet, man. Which you likely know better than I. 

Yosemite is huge on my list. 

And did you know there's a new national park devoted to performing arts outside DC? Called Wolf Trap. I literally learned about this 5 minutes ago.

• Love 1

13 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Yeah. Those things.

Arches is cool. And that's such a target rich area. I really need to get to Zion. Okay, so that's on the other side of Utah, but still. Utah is just another planet, man. Which you likely know better than I. 

And did you know there's a new national park devoted to performing arts outside DC? Called Wolf Trap. I literally learned about this 5 minutes ago.

I have only been to Utah at the four corners. Landed in Salt Lake, but never de-planed.

There is an increasing emphasis on urban usage in DOI. I love it. 

ETA- Brown liquor rules. This is so much better that foozeball talk.

Edited by Tiger Refuge
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Tiger Refuge said:

I’ll be up there in three weeks...😳😬

Really? That might actually be good timing. I don’t know what we’re going to do with it in terms of releasing it. We usually include it in our bourbon drawing, but we aren’t this year. Antique is $50(doubled in price this year), 12 year will be probably $30-40. We also got a case of CYPB, but that will probably go in the drawing. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

Really? That might actually be good timing. I don’t know what we’re going to do with it in terms of releasing it. We usually include it in our bourbon drawing, but we aren’t this year. Antique is $50(doubled in price this year), 12 year will be probably $30-40. We also got a case of CYPB, but that will probably go in the drawing. 

Well, I’ll be in Memphis. Running the St Jude again. Staying downtown this time!

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

Sitting here hungover because the wife and I randomly decided to tie one on last night... and trying to figure out how to be in Memphis in 3 weeks...

I love those spur of the moment "ones".

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/19/2019 at 9:24 AM, McLoofus said:

Yeah. Those things.

Yosemite in the running with Glacier for most beautiful place on the planet, just more people. If you go do the HalfDome hike, it is worth the effort. Zion also awesome with The Narrows hike being a must-do. I highly recommend drinking brown liquor at each place😀

P.S. Bonus points to Yosemite for fewer animals to potentially kill/eat you, lol

Edited by fredst
  • Love 1

• 2 weeks later...

I haven’t seen it mentioned in the thread but what are y’all’s thoughts on Russell’s Reserve? I’ve sipped on some lately. For proof (110), taste, and price point, I thought it it was okay. I don’t really have access to some of the high end liquor y’all have mentioned so liquors like this is what I have to buy. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, aubearcat said:

I haven’t seen it mentioned in the thread but what are y’all’s thoughts on Russell’s Reserve? I’ve sipped on some lately. For proof (110), taste, and price point, I thought it it was okay. I don’t really have access to some of the high end liquor y’all have mentioned so liquors like this is what I have to buy. 

Solid every day bourbon imo. 

• Like 1

We got our barrel of Bulleit today. We are one of the first 15 stores in the country(!) to receive one. It is so solid. High rye obviously, but not as much rye as the regular bourbon. Tons of chocolate and pine. And it may be one of the most full bodied bourbons I’ve ever had. 

• Like 1

On 11/19/2019 at 9:27 PM, Tiger Refuge said:

Well, I’ll be in Memphis. Running the St Jude again. Staying downtown this time!

You DID tell me. I just forgot. ☹️

We still haven’t released the Weller yet. 

Edited by ShocksMyBrain
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

We got our barrel of Bulleit today. We are one of the first 15 stores in the country(!) to receive one. It is so solid. High rye obviously, but not as much rye as the regular bourbon. Tons of chocolate and pine. And it may be one of the most full bodied bourbons I’ve ever had. 

Sold.

I often voice my displeasure with sourced bourbon, but this is fantastic. More displeased with the distilleries that try to pass their bourbon off as their own. Blaum Bros tells you straight up it’s not theirs. 

MIeEkzW.jpg

3 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Image result for o face gif

I wasn’t impressed with the barrel samples they sent us, which is why I’m not disappointed that I missed out. Of course they did spend another 6 months or so in the barrels, so they could have evolved a bit. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

I wasn’t impressed with the barrel samples they sent us, which is why I’m not disappointed that I missed out. Of course they did spend another 6 months or so in the barrels, so they could have evolved a bit. 

Not sure if I mentioned, but I was at our local whiskey bar/intimate singer-songwriter music room the other night (Angie Aparo + Kevn Kinney- actually a damned good show!) and they had Weller 12... for $25 an *ounce*. Granted, this place is overpriced to begin with, but I wanted to punch the guy. I mean, it was a girl who told me that, but I wanted to punch the guy next to her. Neither of them had done anything wrong. It's not their fault that the bourbon scene is what it is. But somebody's got to pay for it. And it's not going to be me. Not at $25 an ounce. Not unless I get to punch somebody.