Brown Liquor Time

fredst

I just bought some Basil Hayden’s dark rye. Not bad. 

7 hours ago, aubearcat said:

I just bought some Basil Hayden’s dark rye. Not bad. 

SO much better than regular Basil Hayden’s. Great whiskey for the money.

You know that regular Basil Hayden is just watered down Old Grandad 114? Because it is. 

Edited by ShocksMyBrain
  • Like 1

On 4/12/2019 at 11:35 PM, Tiger Refuge said:

Dammit. Just looked back and saw Shocks reference to Jefferson’s reserve. Now I gotta go back to the shop...

Picked up a new bottle today. Damn is it good!

Also, anybody know anything about the Black Saddle?

86A8FDC1-3F4D-4932-BE67-BDFDE97BCE38.jpeg

8C83F4C1-A8D4-487E-8F6F-A947DA0775DA.jpeg

Love that OF 1920!

Looking forward to your teachings on the Black Saddle. Rad branding for sure. 

On 4/16/2019 at 7:46 AM, McLoofus said:

Concur. And I REALLY like Blanton's. 

I don’t like being that guy, but Blanton’s isn’t the same as it used to be. I don’t know if I’ve just had so many bourbons, but the hype machine for it is just out of control now. 

It was a good bourbon at $50. At $70? Nah. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, McLoofus said:

So @homersapien, you were saying...?

When I decided to switch from beer to bourbon for dietary reasons, I bought a 750 ml bottle  of Knob Creek and a bottle of Wild Turkey at Sam'sClub.  (Knob Creek is a brand that one of the characters in a novel series I've read drinks.) I drank both with a splash of water on the rocks in a short glass.

They were both OK I guess, but to tell you the truth, I haven't had enough experience with bourbon to really have much of an opinion about what is really good and what is just ordinary. I suppose it's like presenting someone who doesn't have any experience with beer or wine samples. There's no reference.

So, I am currently drinking Evan Williams (black label, 82 proof) because I have heard people say it's fairly good for the price.  I'll probably start experimenting though. My father drank Early Times.

I've starting to add more water and ice because I tend to drink a little too fast.

I need to go back and start reading this thread from the beginning. 

Thanks for mentioning my name McLoofus, I wouldn't have found it otherwise.

Edited by homersapien
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, homersapien said:

When I decided to switch from beer to bourbon for dietary reasons, I bought a 750 ml bottle  of Knob Creek and a bottle of Wild Turkey at Sam'sClub.  (Knob Creek is a brand that one of the characters in a novel series I've read drinks.) I drank both with a splash of water on the rocks in a short glass.

They were both OK I guess, but to tell you the truth, I haven't had enough experience with bourbon to really have much of an opinion about what is really good and what is just ordinary. I suppose it's like presenting someone who doesn't have any experience with beer or wine samples. There's no reference.

So, I am currently drinking Evan Williams (black label, 82 proof) because I have heard people say it's fairly good for the price.  I'll probably start experimenting though. My father drank Early Times.

I've starting to add more water and ice because I tend to drink a little too fast.

I need to go back and start reading this thread from the beginning. 

Thanks for mentioning my name McLoofus, I wouldn't have found it otherwise.

I believe there is a bargain daily sipper segment in this conversation somewhere. Many very good bottles under $30. I will list a couple of the ones that I like when I get to a real keyboard. I know that several of them overlap with what some of the more refined palates in the group enjoy.

5 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

I believe there is a bargain daily sipper segment in this conversation somewhere. Many very good bottles under $30. I will list a couple of the ones that I like when I get to a real keyboard. I know that several of them overlap with what some of the more refined palates in the group enjoy.

After reading a couple of pages in the Brown liquor thread, I think I need to start exploring available liquor stores in the area (upstate SC).

I get the feeling the store I use doesn't really carry much variety, particular at the high end. 

44 minutes ago, homersapien said:

After reading a couple of pages in the Brown liquor thread, I think I need to start exploring available liquor stores in the area (upstate SC).

I get the feeling the store I use doesn't really carry much variety, particular at the high end. 

Are you near Greenville? I get the impression that Greenville is a bit of a hotbed for quality libations. But you almost certainly know a lot more about it than I do.

4 hours ago, McLoofus said:

Are you near Greenville? I get the impression that Greenville is a bit of a hotbed for quality libations. But you almost certainly know a lot more about it than I do.

North of TR on scenic hwy 11

Lots of breweries and a couple of distillers. I'm just unfamiliar with the liquor stores.

• Like 1

On 5/3/2019 at 5:25 PM, ShocksMyBrain said:

New Old Forester Rye(100 proof), best rye under $25 hands down. 

I’ve always thought Rittenhouse was very solid and inexpensive. How do they compare?

1 hour ago, fredst said:

I’ve always thought Rittenhouse was very solid and inexpensive. How do they compare?

I don’t like Rittenhouse. I think it’s totally one dimensional, boring and I wouldn’t care if it disappeared off our shelves. 

OF Rye is the bee’s knees. It’s subtle, it’s smooth, the spice nails you on the finish. I’m really loving what Old Forester is doing these days. Buffalo Trace be damned. 

8 hours ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

I don’t like Rittenhouse. I think it’s totally one dimensional, boring and I wouldn’t care if it disappeared off our shelves. 

OF Rye is the bee’s knees. It’s subtle, it’s smooth, the spice nails you on the finish. I’m really loving what Old Forester is doing these days. Buffalo Trace be damned. 

With you on OF. I started becoming a fanboy after trying the bday bourbon for the first time and then they knocked it out of the park with the 1920, probably my favorite at that price point. And you can't beat the 100 proof for a daily sipper IMO. So I will definitely buy the rye with confidence, especially after your endorsement. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

Well, I guess we won't be sitting down to enjoy a Rittenhouse Old-Fashioned together anytime soon, lol. I look forward to trying the OF. Agree with Loof's on all things OF.

3 hours ago, fredst said:

Well, I guess we won't be sitting down to enjoy a Rittenhouse Old-Fashioned together anytime soon, lol. I look forward to trying the OF. Agree with Loof's on all things OF.

Maybe I was a little harsh. If it’s my only option, or someone puts it in my hand I’ll drink it. I had it at the tasting room at Heaven Hill after tasting a bunch of other higher end Elijah. So it probably would’ve better not to drink EC 18 and then step back to Rittenhouse. 

• Haha 1

48 minutes ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

Maybe I was a little harsh. If it’s my only option, or someone puts it in my hand I’ll drink it. I had it at the tasting room at Heaven Hill after tasting a bunch of other higher end Elijah. So it probably would’ve better not to drink EC 18 and then step back to Rittenhouse. 

Lol, agree, that was probably unfair. That EC18 is a righteous pour. Cheers!

• Like 1

Made a trip to SamsClub and found the following:

Maker's Mark (90 proof) 1.5L -  $43.98   (= $21.99 / 750ml)

Maker's Mark "46" (94 proof) 750ml  -  $33.28

Barton Small Batch "1792" 93.7 proof 705ml - $33.28

Russell's Reserve (Wild Turkey distillery) 90 proof 750 ml - $33.28

I've been sampling all but planning on setting up a blind tasting in the near future.

Any observations on quality and/or value?

On 5/10/2019 at 9:57 PM, homersapien said:

Made a trip to SamsClub and found the following:

Maker's Mark (90 proof) 1.5L -  $43.98   (= $21.99 / 750ml)

Maker's Mark "46" (94 proof) 750ml  -  $33.28

Barton Small Batch "1792" 93.7 proof 705ml - $33.28

Russell's Reserve (Wild Turkey distillery) 90 proof 750 ml - $33.28

I've been sampling all but planning on setting up a blind tasting in the near future.

Any observations on quality and/or value?

Shocks is probably your guy for valuation.

Curious to hear your thoughts! I'm actually not really familiar with any of those. If I've had them, it was a long time ago.

Shocks, I finally got on the OF Rye. Damn, what a value. A little hot at 100 proof, but I like some bite. Did a side by side with Sazerac with McWifey and she liked the smoother Saz better, and I probably do, too for overall flavor profile. But for $23 and at 100 proof, the OF is definitely my new go-to and I can now start rationing the Saz for the rest of the year. (I think my spot might've finally sold out of their allotment after pricing down to $30. I've stocked half a case.)

• Like 1

On 5/13/2019 at 8:47 AM, McLoofus said:

Shocks is probably your guy for valuation.

Curious to hear your thoughts! I'm actually not really familiar with any of those. If I've had them, it was a long time ago.

Shocks, I finally got on the OF Rye. Damn, what a value. A little hot at 100 proof, but I like some bite. Did a side by side with Sazerac with McWifey and she liked the smoother Saz better, and I probably do, too for overall flavor profile. But for $23 and at 100 proof, the OF is definitely my new go-to and I can now start rationing the Saz for the rest of the year. (I think my spot might've finally sold out of their allotment after pricing down to $30. I've stocked half a case.)

Still developing my taste for Bourbon, but my initial impression is that I liked both of the 'Maker's Mark' a little more than the others.  The 'Russel's Reserve' stands out as being the most different.

But as a food scientist, I really need to wait until I do my "blind" tasting.

A lot of this resides in the 'nose' I think, which is hardly surprising.  I really enjoy uncorking and sniffing a partially full bottle with lots of headspace in it!  I think it's easier to differentiate one from the other with aroma than by actual taste, at least at the stage I am at.

Edited by homersapien
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, homersapien said:

A lot of this resides in the 'nose' I think, which is hardly surprising.  I really enjoy uncorking and sniffing a partially full bottle with lots of headspace in it!  I think it's easier to differentiate one from the other with aroma than by actual taste, at least at the stage I am at.

It will never not be interesting to me how the senses coordinate with each other to form experiences. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, McLoofus said:

It will never not be interesting to me how the senses coordinate with each other to form experiences. 

There's fun experiment in which it's difficult to distinguish between the taste of onion and apple if you hold your nose when nibbling them. Odor constitutes something like 80% of your ability to taste.

https://www.foodbeast.com/news/apple-onion-challenge/

Anyone who enjoys sipping wine with cheese or good bread knows this.

Edited by homersapien