Gatewood in only

au701948

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's hard to tell anything from this game. Neither QB made any throws of consequence. Unless they can keep SEC defenses off the line of scrimmage, we'd better hope Bo Nix is the real deal fast. 

2 minutes ago, aucom96 said:

It's hard to tell anything from this game. Neither QB made any throws of consequence. Unless they can keep SEC defenses off the line of scrimmage, we'd better hope Bo Nix is the real deal fast. 

Why? Gatewood and MW are both capable. Should be a fun battle in the offseason 

In his small amount of playing time,  Gatewood showed me that Willis needs to change positions.  He looked much more decisive in his reads.  Willis can't pass and he can't make consistent reads on the zone/read.  His decision making leaves a lot to be desired.

15 minutes ago, au701948 said:

A few plays exhibited quick decision making, quickness and speed that Willis just does not have. Not to mention all this with his size. JMO

I wouldn’t make any major inferences from anything that happened today. After Stidham came out, the throws that were attempted were in predictable passing situations. Purdue knew we were going to run the ball. Gatewood did make some nice runs, but that says nothing about his ability to throw, and the same can be said for Willis. Will be an interesting competition between the two of them.

29 minutes ago, aucom96 said:

Neither QB on our roster and Nix will look very pretty against Oregon. Gus made that bed by not divvying up game reps. Will have to let them mature by throwing them to the fire. I feel very strongly that there will be significant improvement from one particular QB if given the chance though. His name is Gatewood.  

10 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

Neither QB on our roster and Nix will look very pretty against Oregon. Gus made that bed by not divvying up game reps. Will have to let them mature by throwing them to the fire. I feel very strongly that there will be significant improvement from one particular QB if given the chance though. His name is Gatewood.  

JMO but playing half or a quarter of a game today against a whipped team was not gonna prepare Willis or JG for Oregon.   They were playing with a patchwork team and not in a position to run the "full offense".

As I noted earlier, it would  not have affected the future.   It's up to Dillingham to get them ready for next season....what Chip was doing with them will be irrelevant IMO. 

1 hour ago, au701948 said:

A few plays exhibited quick decision making, quickness and speed that Willis just does not have. Not to mention all this with his size. JMO

Tbh he showed explosiveness but also that he hasn’t grasped the playbook. He still has the most potential but would be better off at a different position. 

1 minute ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

We comparing primarily designed reads without the threat of throwing??? 

Well the one pass play was supposed to be a run also but to answer your question yes

1 hour ago, AuburnTiger4Life said:

Why? Gatewood and MW are both capable. Should be a fun battle in the offseason 

I wonder how Nix would react if Gatewood wins the job in the spring/fall, and has a good season next year...

4 minutes ago, KolchakAU85 said:

I wonder how Nix would react if Gatewood wins the job in the spring/fall, and has a good season next year...

If Joey was that good RS-FR year, he’d probably be better Sophomore year and leave after that. Nix would only blow one season 

the reaction you’re looking for would come after that sophomore season 

23 minutes ago, JMassie11 said:

Tbh he showed explosiveness but also that he hasn’t grasped the playbook. He still has the most potential but would be better off at a different position. 

Nobody can grasp the playbook but ol Bo huh?

23 minutes ago, cole256 said:

Nobody can grasp the playbook but ol Bo huh?

Be being a coaches son most likely will grasp it more quickly. Gatewood obviously hasn’t and Willis has been limited for one reason or the other. So what’s your point?

Not sure how anyone can make a decision on any of our 2019 quarterbacks since the sample size is small. My hope is they all ball out next spring and fall and make the decision on who is the starter difficult. 

2 hours ago, saminbama said:

In his small amount of playing time,  Gatewood showed me that Willis needs to change positions.  He looked much more decisive in his reads.  Willis can't pass and he can't make consistent reads on the zone/read.  His decision making leaves a lot to be desired.

True...that was my thoughts

36 minutes ago, JMassie11 said:

Be being a coaches son most likely will grasp it more quickly. Gatewood obviously hasn’t and Willis has been limited for one reason or the other. So what’s your point?

JG was just a part time QB in HS and only seemed to play on special situations.    Hoping he is coming along...

1 hour ago, AU64 said:

JMO but playing half or a quarter of a game today against a whipped team was not gonna prepare Willis or JG for Oregon.   They were playing with a patchwork team and not in a position to run the "full offense".

As I noted earlier, it would  not have affected the future.   It's up to Dillingham to get them ready for next season....what Chip was doing with them will be irrelevant IMO. 

For a coach to never, ever, give his backup qb's pass opportunities throughout his entire carreer, year after year, is just wrong and indefensible. You should stop hating Auburn for recognizong this and calling it out. You're just plain wrong.

2 hours ago, AU64 said:

Why aren’t we in position to run the full offense? Being up big is the best time to allow the backups to go through live game situations against an opponent as there is minimal risk involved. Do you not see Saban coaching his butt off with his scrubs when his team is already up big? He does it because that’s invaluable experience for the backups and provides cheap coaching moments. 

While it was a very small sample I thought JG looked way more explosive and better decision making that MW. Don’t have anything against MW but I do not believe he is the answer and will not give our offense the chance to reach its full potential like we did today, hopefully he proves me wrong

2 hours ago, shabby said:

I dont think Willis makes very good reads. but to be fair the job is much harder when defenses know he ain't throwing the ball

I don’t think Willis was free to read.  Gus was upset at him for not handing off the ball in previous appearances.  I think they were predetermined.  Shivers was being hit at same time or before handoff on one play.

let me say the replays at the stadium were horrible.  If play was reviewed they did not show the replay.  Bad angles also.  Tried to follow ball and zoomed in closer than TV coverage.  They stadium announcers often got the runner name wrong and would reannounce.  “ Hand-off to Shivers.  Whitlow gets 6 yards on the carry.”  I think they were watching the big screen.  Jordan Hare does a much better job.

1 hour ago, JMassie11 said:

Being a coach's son doesn't mean anything as far as grasping things more quickly, there's NOTHING that happened to come to an conclusion that JG obviously hasn't grasped anything....as soon as Bo makes a mistake you're not going to think he can't grasp it. 

Just find it interesting nobody can understand this playbook but you feel that a kid that hasn't made it to campus yet can

Archived