Null



Sign in to follow this  
slot canyon

Tiger Invitational Feb. 2019

Recommended Posts

The AU games on Friday and Saturday are scheduled to be on SEC network.  Sunday games are radio. 

First opponent Villanova at 2 pm Friday and again Sunday at 11:30.  They have a record of 3-2 with one of those losses to Missouri by score 0-7.  Appear to have only 2 batters over .300.  Primary pitcher (Rauch #4)ERA 1.21 has pitched 17.1 innings and faced 59 batters.  She is also a regular in the batting order with second best BA .313.  She has pitched more innings than the next 3 pitchers combined but did not pitch in Missou game.  I will be interested to see if she pitches against AU...….could they be avoiding using her in games that are against "better" opponents so they have a better chance of wins against "lesser" opponents?  

We play North Dakota State University Bisons on Friday and Saturday.  Record 4-4 with losses to Arkansas and Washington by 1 and 2 runs respectively.  Looking at batters with over 20 AB, 3 of them have BA above .300.Their pitcher Leddy has a record 3-3 pitching 31 innings facing 126 batters with 31 SO and ERA 3.84. Another pitcher, Varas is 1-1 and pitched 21 innings with ERA 6.33.  On the base path they have been efficient stealing 9 out of 10 attempts.  

Have not dug into Troy to any great extent.  Current record 7-3 with 2 of those losses to Bama and the other to Mizzou.  Interestingly they are playing a mid-week 2 game series against Florida A&M and then have a game Friday in the AU tournament.

 

Edited by slot canyon
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites




North Dakota State is likely to be the most difficult opponent.  They had Arkansas down 5-3 in bot 6, and narrowly lost 7-6  on a walkoff walk.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

slot canyon, Thanks for the look at the other teams.  I will not be able to make any games on Friday or Saturday as I will umpiring in a high school tournament.  Gave a buddy of mine my tickets for Saturday so somebody would be there to help cheer on the Tigers.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is off topic but thought would slip in here:  Auburn softball record to date is 7-3.  All the losses have been by 1 run.  The teams who defeated us have records as follows:   La Tech 10-1, Missouri State 6-4 (one loss was to La Tech), Texas Tech 10-0.  Hope we play well this weekend as following weekend in California will reveal a lot about the team. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, slot canyon said:

This is off topic but thought would slip in here:  Auburn softball record to date is 7-3.  All the losses have been by 1 run.  The teams who defeated us have records as follows:   La Tech 10-1, Missouri State 6-4 (one loss was to La Tech), Texas Tech 10-0.  Hope we play well this weekend as following weekend in California will reveal a lot about the team. 

That is good perspective. And if I recall correctly, in two of the losses (LaTech and Texas Tech), the majority of runs they scored were in one inning while Swindle was pitching.  Not trying to dog on her, but just that one bad inning can really hurt against better teams. It also shows that not having a strong second pitcher (like we had last year) can influence the games.  It was Swindle in as opposed to Handley or Chardonnay but could have easily been either of them as well.  Glad Martin is still asstrong or stronger than last year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just saw where #25 Texas Tech beat #15 Arizona State 8-0 in 5 innings, so that makes the loss to them a little easier to take early in the season.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was impressed with some of the throws Tannon Snow made from 3rd; especially the one where she essentially threw flat footed against North Dakota State and got the runner at 1st.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I watched the NDS game and was impressed with their freshman pitcher.  Apparently they have an ace who's better than she is.  NDS overall is a worthy opponent.  I watched all of that game, but only caught a couple innings of the first game.  Pleased with the hitting overall and with Rivera in particular.  She can be big help if she continues to be disciplined at the plate.  She had 3 RBI in the 4-1 win over NDS. Greenwood and Maresette both had RBIs in the 'Nove game, and Bree Fornis had a hit against NDS. Evidently Handley started against Villanova, had two good innings, then got the bases loaded in the 3d. Enter Swindle to close it down. Gonna be interesting to see who pitches for us against NDS tomorrow

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I watched the Nova game.  Handley did well to start the game, got a few strikeouts with the rise ball.  She hit some nice locations at times.  I completely understand why Ashley was brought in with bases juiced.  3-5 pitches and the inning was over.  Her change up is even better this year.  Changing from 70 to mid 60s to a devastating 45mph! She had a couple of filthy strikeouts. I was impressed overall with both pitchers.  Swindell took a step up this game to me.  Curious to see if she sustains it.  

Offensively, we skunked them the 2nd time through the order after making some great adjustments on the approach at plate. Perry moving to the 7 spot gives us a little more depth in the lineup. I like that move.   8,9 hitters contributed nicely.  No homeruns but took it station to station. I was very pleased to see us get back to being able to do that.  We missed that last year. If we can keep that up, we will score more runs this year, resulting in more wins.  Very good eye discipline that reminded me of our WS teams.  Marisette looked improved.  Fornis too. Nice to see them both contribute at the plate.  Taylon just missed hitting her first home run. Few inches below the wall, and a half a step from getting the green light to try the ITP Homerun. 

I also liked what I saw with the interaction between the players and Dean. A lot of smiling, joking with each other. A prime example, Tannon ran through the stop sign by Dean as the trailing runner on a 2 run hit.  Dean threw his arms up as if to say you were right Tannon, with both smiling. Maybe the girls have fully bought in this year.  

While I will still question his decisions at times, you can tell Dean is more comfortable with this team compared to last year.  We are starting to see his copyright on this program.  Last year was clearly more experimental, but the lineup is tuning up.  

I am encouraged by a lot of things I saw today.  One game won't say everything but it told me a lot. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, OlderWhiskey said:

I watched the NDS game and was impressed with their freshman pitcher.  Apparently they have an ace who's better than she is.  NDS overall is a worthy opponent.  I watched all of that game, but only caught a couple innings of the first game.  Pleased with the hitting overall and with Rivera in particular.  She can be big help if she continues to be disciplined at the plate.  She had 3 RBI in the 4-1 win over NDS. Greenwood and Maresette both had RBIs in the 'Nove game, and Bree Fornis had a hit against NDS. Evidently Handley started against Villanova, had two good innings, then got the bases loaded in the 3d. Enter Swindle to close it down. Gonna be interesting to see who pitches for us against NDS tomorrow

The ace for North Dakota State pitched later tonight against Troy and won 3-2 in 9 innings. Troy had a 2 run bomb with 2 outs in the 7th. Other than that, the ND Ace was lights out. She has a change up, and we are going to have our hands full with that. 

 

Troy also has 2 very good pitchers. Both were “Miss Alabama Softball” coming out of high school, in 2017 and 2018 respectively. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Solid pair of wins, but damn, did the umps get paid off in the Villanova game? Our pitchers were getting every strike call, they were getting nothing. That and McCrackin left very early on her SB.

2 hours ago, AUBwins said:

A prime example, Tannon ran through the stop sign by Dean as the trailing runner on a 2 run hit.  Dean threw his arms up as if to say you were right Tannon, with both smiling. Maybe the girls have fully bought in this year.   

That is interesting, as I remember him throwing a fit when Justus Perry did the same thing last year, and then he basically benched her for a while.

 

The power numbers are definitely encouraging thus far (on pace for about double the HRs vs 2018, non-conference only, SLG% at .616 vs .491). OBP is only slightly higher than 2018's non-conference figure (walks are down, average and HBP are up). SBAs are down, success rate is up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, wildling said:

That is interesting, as I remember him throwing a fit when Justus Perry did the same thing last year, and then he basically benched her for a while.

Part of the difference is that this is Villanova, and that was Ole Miss, and Perry's getting thrown out may have cost us the game.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/21/2019 at 4:40 PM, slot canyon said:

This is off topic but thought would slip in here:  Auburn softball record to date is 7-3.  All the losses have been by 1 run.  The teams who defeated us have records as follows:   La Tech 10-1, Missouri State 6-4 (one loss was to La Tech), Texas Tech 10-0.  Hope we play well this weekend as following weekend in California will reveal a lot about the team. 

Noticed last night that uat beat Missouri State 11-1.

  • Facepalm 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, OlderWhiskey said:

Noticed last night that uat beat Missouri State 11-1.

It pains me to say this, but looks like uat has reloaded.  They beat Arizona last week out there.

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is the game delayed?  ESPN3 still shows event about to begin. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Harris was Dominant! 14Ks in only 21 total outs. She even had 1 lazy ground out herself. Just filthy. 

Edited by AUBwins

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Great outing for Chardonnay, after a bit of a shaky start.  What's the AU record for strikeouts?  Bats not so impressive.  Think we had 6 hits.  Scored 5 in the second inning on 4 walks (incl. 2 HBP) and two hits, I think.  Great to see the CG for Chardonnay, though.  Guessing Swindle starts against NDS.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, saminbama said:

It pains me to say this, but looks like uat has reloaded.  They beat Arizona last week out there.

Their new pitcher, Montana Fouts, is reputedly as good as Osorio.  I haven't seen her.  uat currently ranked #6.  Arizona not as good as they have been at times in the recent past, though, judging from results.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, OlderWhiskey said:

Part of the difference is that this is Villanova, and that was Ole Miss, and Perry's getting thrown out may have cost us the game.  

Logically that shouldn't matter, CMD isn't the most logical person though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, OlderWhiskey said:

Great outing for Chardonnay, after a bit of a shaky start.  What's the AU record for strikeouts?  Bats not so impressive.  Think we had 6 hits.  Scored 5 in the second inning on 4 walks (incl. 2 HBP) and two hits, I think.  Great to see the CG for Chardonnay, though.  Guessing Swindle starts against NDS.

 

The total hits were not plentiful but they were meaningful 2-out hits for the most part.  Girls did a good job driving in runs.  Glad they are learning to do that early in season. 

2nd game was much better offense.  11 hits. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Very satisfying win over NDS, 10-2 in 5 innings.  Handley goes five innings and gives up one earned run, a monster blast  into the trees at Chewacla.  The other runner on base belonged to McCrackin.  Good timely hitting by many Tigers again (11 hits total).  Veach with the GWRBI.  I was beginning to think we were going to botch our chance to end it in five.  The NDS coach pulled Vargas (who had replaced Letty in the 2d, I think), and put in a girl who had hardly pitched at all.  She seemed very surprised to get the ball, but struck out Rivera on a pitch a foot outside and six inches low.  Veach came through, though.  She has been a much better hitter this year.

Very encouraged by what I saw from Handley.   haven't looked at the stats, but I don't think she walked over one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this