Jack Owen and Davis Daniel

2 minutes ago, tigers23 said:

Heard DD is having TommyJohn surgery. Can anybody confirm or deny?

Yes, he’s having surgery. Had a setback in his rehab last week. I was told by two different people this past Thursday that he was done for the season. 

https://247sports.com/college/auburn/Article/Auburn-pitcher-Davis-Daniels-season-is-done-with-surgery-scheduled-this-week-131410881/

Confirmed, Daniel out for season. Tough blow. Just hate it for the kid that he comes back because he wants to help Auburn win and fate repays him like this. He'll still get drafted, most likely, but man that just sucks.

In terms of how this affects our team, it would certainly help to have DD throwing for us, but getting Jack Owen back and possibly starting again in the next few weeks may be just what the doctor ordered. Figure out the offense, we'll be just fine. 

Hate this for him.  With this, where would he be projected in the draft. The article on al.com indicates he still will likely leave for the majors after this year.

52 minutes ago, BJCrawford said:

Hate this for him.  With this, where would he be projected in the draft. The article on al.com indicates he still will likely leave for the majors after this year.

Probably won’t project very well. He could get drafted late by a team who would take the risk of losing a late round pick if he never pans out or recovers from the injury. He’s talented enough to take that chance. IMO what hurts Daniel is the lack of consistent production to couple with the talent. His two years at Auburn we’re pretty inconsistent, and while he showed flashes late last year in the reliever role, he came back because he wanted to prove that over the course of a full year, which could’ve drastically improved his draft stock. 

He does have the option to stay at Auburn, have the surgery and rehab, and come back as a RS Senior. Would be a similar path that Keegan Thompson took. It just feels like he won’t choose that path because he’s already been draft-eligible once whereas Keegan wasn’t draft-eligible in the season he was injured. 

Whatever decision he makes, I wish him the best. I really hate this happened to him because I think he has a bright future as a pitcher in the major leagues. The timing of this hits sucks and is going to make it longer and more difficult for him to realize that dream. 

5 minutes ago, boomstick said:

Probably won’t project very well. He could get drafted late by a team who would take the risk of losing a late round pick if he never pans out or recovers from the injury. He’s talented enough to take that chance. IMO what hurts Daniel is the lack of consistent production to couple with the talent. His two years at Auburn we’re pretty inconsistent, and while he showed flashes late last year in the reliever role, he came back because he wanted to prove that over the course of a full year, which could’ve drastically improved his draft stock. 

He does have the option to stay at Auburn, have the surgery and rehab, and come back as a RS Senior. Would be a similar path that Keegan Thompson took. It just feels like he won’t choose that path because he’s already been draft-eligible once whereas Keegan wasn’t draft-eligible in the season he was injured. 

Whatever decision he makes, I wish him the best. I really hate this happened to him because I think he has a bright future as a pitcher in the major leagues. The timing of this hits sucks and is going to make it longer and more difficult for him to realize that dream. 

Some team may take him underslot in Day 2(Rounds 3-10), given he doesn't have that much leverage. Or a slightly above average deal in Day 3(just above 125 K). CBT apparently expects DD to leave.

55 minutes ago, warbiscuit said:

Some team may take him underslot in Day 2(Rounds 3-10), given he doesn't have that much leverage. Or a slightly above average deal in Day 3(just above 125 K). CBT apparently expects DD to leave.

TJ surgery is hit and miss in trying to predict the future success of a pitcher. Some never get to what they once were, some stay the exact same, others take off and are better than ever. Overall, I really don't know, but if DD gets an offer above about round 25, I'd expect him to go ahead and go try to make some money in this game. If it's lower than that though, you're looking at a salary that'll get you through about 1 year of your life. If he feels he can be very good next season, and the draft doesn't go well for him, it's not like this surgery makes him any more injury prone than he already once was, and I would be more of a proponent for him staying in college and proving himself as a relief pitcher. 

1 hour ago, warbiscuit said:

Makes sense. I hope a team picks him up. I think he’s going to be fine once he comes back from surgery. 

Out for this year and next....which is his senior year so looks like his AU career is probably over.   What a shame...seemed that toward the end of last season he had gotten his command and looked really good.  I was expecting big things from him this season.  

This is a huge loss for the AU baseball team considering how the rest of the staff has struggled.  Some of the young guys are gonna have to suck it up but we can forget our discussions about what things will be like when he is ready for post season......dang....:no:

It will have little bearing on where he's drafted.  Walker Buehler out of Vanderbilt who was the Dodgers first round pick in '15 signed for just under $2 Million after being diagnosed with a torn UCL.  Daniel Robert was drafted as a pitcher after tearing his UCL his senior year (in spite of the fact that he didn't pitch at all his first three years at Auburn).  MLB clubs know there are two kinds of pitchers, those who have been hurt and those who will be.  May as well get it out of the way when the body heals fastest.  Check the facts....  

Effect of Predraft Ulnar Collateral Ligament Reconstruction on Future Performance in Professional Baseball: A Matched Cohort Comparison.

Abstract

BACKGROUND:

In recent years, there has been a dramatic rise in the annual number of ulnar collateral ligament (UCL) reconstructions performed in amateur baseball pitchers. Accordingly, increasing numbers of players are entering professional baseball having already undergone the procedure; however, the effect of prior UCL reconstruction on future success remains unknown.

PURPOSE:

(1) To provide an epidemiologic report on baseball players who undergo UCL reconstruction before being selected in the Major League Baseball (MLB) Draft, (2) to define the outcomes in terms of statistical performance, and (3) to compare these results with those of matched controls (ie, non-UCL reconstruction).

STUDY DESIGN:

Cohort study; Level of evidence, 3.

METHODS:

The MLB Amateur Draft Database was queried to identify all drafted pitchers who underwent UCL reconstruction before being drafted. For each pitcher drafted from 2005 to 2014 with prior UCL reconstruction, 3 healthy controls with no history of elbow surgery were randomly identified for matched analysis. A number of demographic and performance comparisons were made between these groups.

RESULTS:

A total of 345 pitchers met inclusion criteria. The annual number of pitchers undergoing predraft UCL reconstructions rose steadily from 2005 to 2016 ( P < .001). For matched control analysis, 252 pitchers with a UCL reconstruction and a minimum 2-year follow-up (drafted between 2005 and 2014) were matched to 756 controls (non-UCL reconstruction). As compared with the non-UCL reconstruction group, pitchers who underwent predraft UCL reconstruction reached the MLB level with greater frequency (20% vs 12%, P = .003), and their MLB statistical performances were similar for all measures. Compared with all other pitchers drafted during that period, players who had a predraft UCL reconstruction demonstrated an increased likelihood of reaching progressive levels of play (Full Season A, AA, and MLB) within a given time frame ( P < .05 for all).

CONCLUSION:

The number of UCL reconstructions performed in amateur baseball players before the draft increased year over year for the entire study period. Professional pitchers who underwent UCL reconstruction as amateurs appear to perform at least as well as, if not better than, matched controls without elbow surgery.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/29543498

That will be tough to swallow mentally for him.  His freshman year he pitched one of the best games that year by anyone in an away win at miss state (maybe Tennessee). It really showed me what his upside is.  Last years super regional long relief was pretty special.

this kid has superstar potential- just gotta get healthy and also out of his own head.  When things are going well he can be dominant 

6 hours ago, mustache eagle said:

That will be tough to swallow mentally for him.  His freshman year he pitched one of the best games that year by anyone in an away win at miss state (maybe Tennessee). It really showed me what his upside is.  Last years super regional long relief was pretty special.

this kid has superstar potential- just gotta get healthy and also out of his own head.  When things are going well he can be dominant 

He just needed to mature a little. He has incredible talent and I think he'll do well once he's healthy.

I was beginning to suspect that he was not going to pitch again for AU. Just a few things I heard hear and there made me wonder about the status of his injury.

Now we know.

1 hour ago, Tigerbelle said:

Davis Daniel will have surgery tomorrow at the Andrews Institute in Gulf Breeze, FL. Dr James Andrews will perform the surgery. 

Thanks for posting.

I'll state the obvious and say he's in excellent hands.  He's got a bright future, can't wait to see him going head to head against some of his former teammates in the bigs.

Listened to Butch’s interview with Andy a few minutes ago. Sounds like Jack Owen will start a game this weekend, but until we know more about Tanner, we probably won’t know when Jack will start. Butch said that, given we were away from home, it’s taken them a little more time to check out Tanner. He said it wasn’t a “rush to the doctor” situation (I took that to mean there wasn’t an immediate obvious injury). He said Tanner has been rehabbing the last couple days and would throw a bullpen Tuesday or Wednesday to see how he feels. 

My gut says Tanner won’t pitch this weekend. Being as cautious as Butch is, I just don’t see him letting Tanner pitch a week after being lifted from the game with an apparent arm injury. I guess it is possible to push his start back to Sunday to give him as much rest as possible if he feels good in his next bullpen, but I’d still be surprised with that  

Starting rotation for Bama sounds like this:

Owen

Fuller

TBA

17 hours ago, boomstick said:

Starting rotation for Bama sounds like this:

Owen

Fuller

TBA

I don't like that setup. It's quite a step down from what we thought we'd have before the SEC season started. I understand that injuries are a part of sports, but this situation is getting ridiculous!

2 hours ago, Mikey said:

I don't like that setup. It's quite a step down from what we thought we'd have before the SEC season started. I understand that injuries are a part of sports, but this situation is getting ridiculous!

Sucks, but it is what it is. Given that the injuries all seem to be a bit different this year, it’s hard to point to one thing being a problem. If we had 3 guys who all had TJ issues, I’d be really concerned that we were doing something wrong. 

Sounds like if Tanner’s bullpen goes well today, he will start on Sunday. I think both Jack and Brooks can have good outings against Bama. They aren’t a great hitting team. Probably similar to aTm and South Carolina. And if we get Tanner back to anchor Sunday, that could actually be a nice setup for this weekend.

What I don’t like about this is it’s likely how the rest of the regular season rotation will play out as long as everyone stays healthy. Hard to move guys around much at this point without someone skipping a start. The next two series are Fri-Sun and then the LSU series is Thur-Sat. Tanner not starting this weekend would get everything back in more of a normal order, but it also leaves us without him this weekend in a series that we really need to win.

The one positive about Burns possibly missing his start this weekend is Fitts pitched well against Bama in the Capitol City Classic. 3.2 IP, 0 runs, 3 hit, 1 K, 1 BB. 

Butch said this morning that Burns would throw today for the first time since Nashville and that his status for Bama is doubtful. We can still win this series (and even sweep), but the pitching staff is going to have to be sharp  Can’t afford many wasted innings. Would be nice if the offense could explode in one of the first two games and give us a chance to throw one or two of our bottom-of-the-pen guys to try and eat up some innings and save as many arms as possible. 

Archived