Jack Owen and Davis Daniel

Ok.  Does anybody have the scoop on when/if we get these guys back in the rotation???

I can’t find anything on their status.

We are hurting badly without their arms in the pitching rotation.

We could be CWS bound with them.  May struggle to win a regional without them.

anybody know anything?

I've been wondering this too. The reports on them have been insanely quiet. We keep hearing "it will be either next weekend, or the weekend after that" on Owen, but it doesn't seem to be changing. Daniel's status has been questionable for so long, I'm wondering if he'll even be effective if he comes back. I hope they both make it back, our rotation is SCARY with that 3-man punch. 

On the bright side (it’s what we sunshine pumpers do), we are developing much needed depth in their absence, so that when these 2 return, we will be really good and really deep!

last night was pretty clear about just how fragile we are without our Friday and Sunday starters in the rotation.  Our midweek starters aren't ready to be midweek starters and would not be if we had Daniel and Owen healthy.  The silence on these two is deafening.  

They are always in the dugout supporting the team and dressed out, but obviously not about to be cleared to play.  What is up?!

2 hours ago, Turd Ferguson said:

last night was pretty clear about just how fragile we are without our Friday and Sunday starters in the rotation.  Our midweek starters aren't ready to be midweek starters and would not be if we had Daniel and Owen healthy.  The silence on these two is deafening.  

They are always in the dugout supporting the team and dressed out, but obviously not about to be cleared to play.  What is up?!

I haven't seen anything even in terms of speculation from reporters. There's nothing. It's like they don't exist. We really could use even getting one of them back. 

38 minutes ago, BJCrawford said:

Malzahn would be getting pounded for this kind of silence😬

Gus would say they are “day to day” for the rest of the season. Which is better?

16 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

Gus would say they are “day to day” for the rest of the season. Which is better?

I was only joking ....I don’t disagree. Funny thing is, right after I read this, I read the article on al.com that said Owen back by ole miss and Daniel back by Alabama 😊

1 minute ago, BJCrawford said:

I was only joking ....I don’t disagree. Funny thing is, right after I read this, I read the article on al.com that said Owen back by ole miss and Daniel back by Alabama 😊

I was joking also.....sort of.  Coaches really can’t give much info publicly about injuries and to lead the fan base on is just frustrating for the fans.  I know the team is struggling without the aces, but it is what it is.  Those arms have to be ready to come back whenever that may be.  Hopefully by the games you posted.

19 hours ago, I_M4_AU said:

Either one is OK...just say nothing that helps the opposition...and if you want to keep them guessing...that is OK too. 

JMO but it is not about accommodating curious fans.

3 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Either one is OK...just say nothing that helps the opposition...and if you want to keep them guessing...that is OK too. 

I have never understood why fans can't see that there are valid reasons for coaches to keep some things private. The outrage and venom directed at coaches by those fans is way out of line. 

2 hours ago, AU64 said:

1 hour ago, Tigerbelle said:

I have never understood why fans can't see that there are valid reasons for coaches to keep some things private. The outrage and venom directed at coaches by those fans is way out of line. 

I understand your sediments, however, the coach has the option to just say nothing as Butch is doing.  Gus has that option and kowtows to the media (not the fans) by saying “day to day”.  Keeping things private would be the best option, I hope Gus takes Butch’s lead.

8 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

I understand your sediments, however, the coach has the option to just say nothing as Butch is doing.  Gus has that option and kowtows to the media (not the fans) by saying “day to day”.  Keeping things private would be the best option, I hope Gus takes Butch’s lead.

Sediments?   is that what you think about my comments?  :-\...oh my

Anyway,  gets hammered regularly on this board for not "helping" the media....he's under far more pressure to accommodate their questioning than Butch is.  Must be half a dozen beat writers covering AU football....and the baseball team is lucky to even get a game write-up the next day on al.com. 

But I agree it would be better to say nothing...... but football coaches can't just say no comment...."day to day" means we don't know .....so what's the complaint.  It's like Bruce talking about his injured players during the season.....except he puts forth a lot of words....and says nothing definitive. .  

Bottom line.....contrary to what you can read on this forum...fans have no automatic right to information on injuries and maybe Gus would be better saying nothing...but that would not satisfy anyone either.    My solution...don't pay any attention to stuff like that....whether it's injuries or practice comments...and whether it's Gus or Nick.....generally it's just blather to give the media something to publish..

8 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Sediments?   is that what you think about my comments?  :-\...oh my

Anyway,  gets hammered regularly on this board for not "helping" the media....he's under far more pressure to accommodate their questioning than Butch is.  Must be half a dozen beat writers covering AU football....and the baseball team is lucky to even get a game write-up the next day on al.com. 

But I agree it would be better to say nothing...... but football coaches can't just say no comment...."day to day" means we don't know .....so what's the complaint.  It's like Bruce talking about his injured players during the season.....except he puts forth a lot of words....and says nothing definitive. .  

Bottom line.....contrary to what you can read on this forum...fans have no automatic right to information on injuries and maybe Gus would be better saying nothing...but that would not satisfy anyone either.    My solution...don't pay any attention to stuff like that....whether it's injuries or practice comments...and whether it's Gus or Nick.....generally it's just blather to give the media something to publish..

Oh, I’ve not paid attention to what Gus says, but rather see what he does for a long time.  Gus could have a policy of not talking about injuries and stick to it.  The fans are not demanding the information, they do want the information, as do the betting world, but Gus is the one with the information to either release or keep it to himself.  If he kowtows to the media on this, he is as weak as I have thought.  Bruce can spin anything, he’s great at in.  Gus can not do that, not in his personality.

Tell me, when is lying to the media and fan base your best option?

1 minute ago, I_M4_AU said:

First of all......ENOUGH of the Gus bashing on every thread in every forum. Apparently some of you are unaware of how tiresome and irritating it is. Let it go already. Stop using every single thing as another opportunity to drag Gus into it so he can be bashed a little more. This Gus hate is completely out of control. 

Second.....did it ever occur to you that Gus is really no different than any other college football coach? NONE of them give details because that would be stupid. They all give patented answers in their own way. And he is REQUIRED to meet with the media more often. Football has a much higher profile than baseball, and has different media expectations. Butch has the luxury of not being in the biggest,brightest spotlight in college sports. There's no SEC Media Days for baseball. There's no televised baseball A Day. There's no big signing day media circus.  Butch has the luxury of being left alone most of the time....so he doesn't have to say much. Comparing apples to oranges is always useless.

Some of you are so wrapped up in your Gus venom that you have no perspective at all. 

8 minutes ago, Tigerbelle said:

First of all......ENOUGH of the Gus bashing on every thread in every forum. Apparently some of you are unaware of how tiresome and irritating it is. Let it go already. Stop using every single thing as another opportunity to drag Gus into it so he can be bashed a little more. This Gus hate is completely out of control. 

Second.....did it ever occur to you that Gus is really no different than any other college football coach? NONE of them give details because that would be stupid. They all give patented answers in their own way. And he is REQUIRED to meet with the media more often. Football has a much higher profile than baseball, and has different media expectations. Butch has the luxury of not being in the biggest,brightest spotlight in college sports. There's no SEC Media Days for baseball. There's no televised baseball A Day. There's no big signing day media circus.  Butch has the luxury of being left alone most of the time....so he doesn't have to say much. Comparing apples to oranges is always useless.

Some of you are so wrapped up in your Gus venom that you have no perspective at all. 

I don’t want to high jack the thread anymore than it is, but Gus can set the policy not to talk about injuries.  If he feels the expectation is to lie about injuries, that’s on him.

I will add; you’re so deep in the halo effect you have no sense of right and wrong.

10 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

Tell me, when is lying to the media and fan base your best option? 

Surely you know the difference between sports  BS and lying?  ...and it's probably only "lying" when anyone really is depending on the information and has a right to it.   Meanwhile,  Bruce can BS or fudge and that's ok because he has the style ?.

Why is "day to day" a lie?     It means we check every day and one day he will be ready to play.   What's so complicated about that.   As for Gus being weak.....what a ridiculous statement....about a guy who runs a huge football program.  I expect that like most of us, he would prefer to be appreciated and respected for what he's done....and is likely trying to get along with a media that does not do much for him or AU either.....and media guys are trying to earn a living by getting enough stuff to fill a blog or news site every day.....it's about entertainment and any serious person does not take it seriously..>JMO. . 

8 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Surely you know the difference between sports  BS and lying?  ...and it's probably only "lying" when anyone really is depending on the information and has a right to it.   Meanwhile,  Bruce can BS or fudge and that's ok because he has the style ?.

Why is "day to day" a lie?     It means we check every day and one day he will be ready to play.   What's so complicated about that.   As for Gus being weak.....what a ridiculous statement....about a guy who runs a huge football program.  I expect that like most of us, he would prefer to be appreciated and respected for what he's done....and is likely trying to get along with a media that does not do much for him or AU either.....and media guys are trying to earn a living by getting enough stuff to fill a blog or news site every day.....it's about entertainment and any serious person does not take it seriously..>JMO. . 

Not going down that rabbit hole.  I’ve said enough on the subject.

5 hours ago, I_M4_AU said:

I don’t want to high jack the thread anymore than it is, but Gus can set the policy not to talk about injuries.  If he feels the expectation is to lie about injuries, that’s on him.

I will add; you’re so deep in the halo effect you have no sense of right and wrong.

So what? It does not benefit any team to discuss injuries in public. It just satisfies the nosy fans and alerts other teams. Besides that....he is not in charge of what the media asks him in interviews. 

Halo effect? What a stupid thing to post. All objectivity is lost on the Gus bashers. So sick of it. 

20 hours ago, Tigerbelle said:

So what? It does not benefit any team to discuss injuries in public. It just satisfies the nosy fans and alerts other teams. Besides that....he is not in charge of what the media asks him in interviews. 

Halo effect? What a stupid thing to post. All objectivity is lost on the Gus bashers. So sick of it. 

To the bolded part; no, he is not in charge of that, but he is in charge of how he answers and more importantly, if he answers. 

All objectivity is lost on the sunshine pumpers, so sick of it.

I’ve heard Jack is available to throw this weekend and we will probably see him for a short outing if needed Saturday. Not sure on Daniel  have heard some conflicting reports about him. 

@passthebiscuits you have any injury insight with baseball? 

On 4/14/2019 at 12:22 PM, I_M4_AU said:

To the bolded part; no, he is not in charge of that, but he is in charge of how he answers and more importantly, if he answers. 

All objectivity is lost on the sunshine pumpers, so sick of it.

And you are the media/PR expert for?????? 

Yes it's the sunshine pumpers who infect every thread in every forum with Gus hate. It's the sunshine pumpers who won't shut up and can't stop the hateful whining about Gus. And it's the sunshine pumpers who accuse other posters of the inability to be objective because those posters are disgusted by the constant negativity and do not want it spreading like some kind of infectious virus. Posters having fun talking about Bruce or CBT? Let's just inject a dose of the unwelcomed Gus Bashing virus here so all the enjoyment is gone, and then act all superior when called out about it.

BTW......I'd rather be painted as a sunshine pumper,although inaccurate, than a hateful,obsessed fanatic who spends hours bloviating about something he really has no idea about anyway.  The subject has gone beyond what anyone else but the I Hate Gus miserable groupies want to see. Everybody else got your opinions on Gus months ago and we do not need or want the constant reminders. 

6 hours ago, Tigerbelle said:

Posters having fun talking about Bruce or CBT? Let's just inject a dose of the unwelcomed Gus Bashing virus here so all the enjoyment is gone, and then act all superior when called out about it.

The entire post is great, but this tidbit needs repeating. Spot on, KUDOS!

8 hours ago, Mikey said:

The entire post is great, but this tidbit needs repeating. Spot on, KUDOS!

Lets cut the Gus talk and acknowledge that we have one of our star pitchers supposedly back for our last game in a huge series against Ole Miss. We need to win this series!! Let’s rally together 

Archived