Softball v. South Carolina - Game 3

Looks like Slot was right about South Carolina having confidence against our pitchers, as they won today 8-4 with 12 hits, including 2 homers.  I couldn't get the livestream, and LiveStats was cross-threaded with the UT-Miss. St. game somehow.  I found the score was 5-0 in bot 5, and we had 3 hits at that time, so we got 8 hits in the last 3 innings, which is encouraging.  McCrackin broke through with a couple of hits, including a double that drove in our first run.  The Gamecocks seem to be playing now the way they were expected to this season.  We have a game with Alabama St. Wednesday night, to get tuned up for the Kentucky series.  Like us, they lost their series with LSU after winning the first game. 

30 minutes ago, OlderWhiskey said:

Looks like Slot was right about South Carolina having confidence against our pitchers, as they won today 8-4 with 12 hits, including 2 homers.  I couldn't get the livestream, and LiveStats was cross-threaded with the UT-Miss. St. game somehow.  I found the score was 5-0 in bot 5, and we had 3 hits at that time, so we got 8 hits in the last 3 innings, which is encouraging.  McCrackin broke through with a couple of hits, including a double that drove in our first run.  The Gamecocks seem to be playing now the way they were expected to this season.  We have a game with Alabama St. Wednesday night, to get tuned up for the Kentucky series.  Like us, they lost their series with LSU after winning the first game. 

That cross up with the UT-Miss. State game was frustrating.  Also, the score visible below the radio broadcast was the UT-Miss St. game score.  I was caught off guard when he took out Perry and Tannon Snow toward the later portion of the game although there are some logical reasons why that was done.  I expect our pitching staff will be stressed for the remainder of the season. I will be surprised if we win another series.   Enjoy your trip and enjoy some good sea food.  

Weird/not good stuff happening lately. Our batters are not taking any walks. Only 2 EBHs all series as well. And 3 errors today. Don't like the 2 SAC bunts, they may have been bunts for hits but how often do those work for RHBs with non-elite speed against SEC defenses?

^Taking out Perry and Tannon doesn't make sense barring injury. Also, is Godwin injured, she didn't play all series?

4 hours ago, slot canyon said:

I couldn't get the livestream, and LiveStats was cross-threaded with the UT-Miss. St. game somehow.  I found the score was 5-0 in bot 5, .......

The game was on EPNU. I guess you don't get that?

Several of those USC "hits" would have been scored errors by a baseball scorekeeper. Today, our defense was very similar to some 7&8 year-old rec league games I've seen. Podany made a great catch in CF but other than that, there were muffed grounders, multiple errors while chasing a runner around the bases with the ball, a costly passed ball, poor exchanges between infielders around 2nd and in general poor play in the field. Today's score could have been much worse than it was. USC stranded a bunch of runners.

8 hours ago, Mikey said:

The game was on EPNU. I guess you don't get that?

I get three ESPN channels, but I wasn't at home.  This new livestream stuff is fabulous for someone who can remember getting 3 channels and turning the antenna by hand, but still not perfect.  Sounds like I really didn't want to watch, anyway.

Phillip Marshall has article in Auburn Undercover about the game and the series in general. Coach Dean said he took out corner players because they were not playing the SC short game the way he expected. Worth a read.

17 minutes ago, slot canyon said:

Phillip Marshall has article in Auburn Undercover about the game and the series in general. Coach Dean said he took out corner players because they were not playing the SC short game the way he expected. Worth a read.

Thanks....Snow was having problems at 3rd and in general,  defensive play was poor as Mikey noted.   Lack of concentration or what?   They are capable of better.

7 hours ago, slot canyon said:

Thanks for the article.

I reviewed the play-by-play and it really didn't seem like there were that many infield hits (2 singles to 3rd, plus an error by 3rd, that's it through 5 innings). Seems like a move by Dean to "make a statement" that only results in a lower chance of winning the game.

Based on what I saw Friday night and Sunday - Coach pretty much hit the nail on the head in his comments.  We don't have Mak and may not which means our pitchers need defensive and offensive support.  The team is better than they played this past weekend and now it will need to be their "A" game for the rest of the season.

Archived