Baseball roster changes

5 hours ago, fredst said:

Anyone have any insight into how MLB modifying their draft (cutting from 40 rounds to 5, max $20k signing bonus for undrafted players) might impact our roster?

Pretty much all the draft rankings have a consensus agreement of ranking Tanner Burns in the top 100 and that he will be drafted in top 2 rounds minimum. 5 rounds is gonna be about 150-200. Steven Williams was in Baseball America's top 150, and we had 4 recruits in their top 400 rankings. Werner Blakely has been ranked the highest and he was estimated to go around 4th-5h round by some experts. Fangraphs has Werner Blakely and Cody Greenhill ranked 148 and 181 respectively. Carson Swilling and Cole Foster were also said to get some interest, but I wouldn't be surprised if some commits go JUCO or our roster sees a good number of transfers.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Auburn posted an article on Chase Hall and based on the replies that some of the other Auburn players wrote, I think Chase Hall won't be back next year. Article seems to imply that as well. I know he was a backup, but if Scheffler leaves, it would be interesting to see if Butch gets a JUCO catcher given that Dyal will be just recovering from Tommy John around the start of next year and it will just be Larue and the new recruit, Ben Schorr, or get someone else to get catcher reps from the team already like Butch has done in the past with Damon Haecker and Kyler Deese.

https://auburntigers.com/news/2020/5/11/baseball-the-best-three-years-of-my-life-chase-hall-senior-spotlight.aspx

• 1 month later...

Austin Turner has entered the transfer portal. Not exactly surprising, given that all 3 OF starters are back plus there is Josh Hall and the JUCO OF Bobby Pierce.

https://247sports.com/college/south-carolina/LongFormArticle/SEC-baseball-players-in-the-NCAA-Transfer-Portal-147358649/#147358649_3

Mason Greer has entered the transfer portal. There doesn't seem to be many corner infielders on the team with Woley, Shenker, Ceccoli and the two-way JUCO recruit Chase Wilkerson who played 3B at San Jacinto, though it's possible someone else could transition to 3B, as Brody Moore had experience there last year. It's also a possibility Dyal could play some 1B/DH as he recovers from Tommy John surgery. Guess it depends on where Rankin plays next year at either 3B or 1B. Another thing to note is that Mason Greer is draft eligible next year, as he would have been a draft eligible sophomore in 2021, but now he's a draft eligible freshman.

https://www.al.com/auburnfootball/2020/06/another-auburn-baseball-player-enters-transfer-portal.html

John Griffin Bell, who was supposed to play for Auburn next year, has decommitted to Pearl River Community College. Also apparently Logan Austin is now committed to Chipola after initially being committed to Auburn for next year.
https://twitter.com/JohnGriffinBel1/status/1277617026870185985

On 6/29/2020 at 12:59 PM, warbiscuit said:

Also apparently Logan Austin is now committed to Chipola after initially being committed to Auburn for next year.

Leads me to believe he didn't think he'd be at Auburn this fall either way.  Once he commits to being a PO and with some quality development, this kid has the potential to be lights out.  Big body and big arm which he should be upper 90's in the next year or so...hopefully we will see him on a big league mound one day.  I don't blame him one bit for going the route he's chosen (Chipola is a fantastic option).  MLB just completely hosed about 90% of the potential draftees this year.   The D1 college programs suffer for it.

If ever there was a time for the NCAA to step up, do what's right and level the playing field in college baseball, now is the time to move to a 25 full scholarship allotment.  Oh, wait, I just remembered there's a complete imbecile running that ridiuclulous organization.

5 hours ago, TigerCatcher said:

Leads me to believe he didn't think he'd be at Auburn this fall either way.  Once he commits to being a PO and with some quality development, this kid has the potential to be lights out.  Big body and big arm which he should be upper 90's in the next year or so...hopefully we will see him on a big league mound one day.  I don't blame him one bit for going the route he's chosen (Chipola is a fantastic option).  MLB just completely hosed about 90% of the potential draftees this year.   The D1 college programs suffer for it.

If ever there was a time for the NCAA to step up, do what's right and level the playing field in college baseball, now is the time to move to a 25 full scholarship allotment.  Oh, wait, I just remembered there's a complete imbecile running that ridiuclulous organization.

You would have to have 25 more scholarships for a women if they did that 

5 hours ago, AuburnNTexas said:

I am fully aware of the implications of Title IX.  That would be a really good thing in my opinion, womens' lacrosse is a thing, Auburn equestrian would be a REAL thing if it was sanctioned by the NCAA.  What is the down side?????????????  Calling @Tigerbelle. help me out here.  Better baseball, more women's sports....  AAAAANNNNNDDDD we would never have to have that stupid discusssion about the effect of the education lottery, earmarking scholarships for athletes at private universities and all the other ridiculous things  Butch has to battle to try and make 11.7 scholarships work for 28 players.  How in the hell did anybody in their right mind think that was ever a good idea??????   Pretty sure I read where Conor Davis finishes his career at Auburn with close to $100,000 in student loan debt and a degree in Public Administration.  That's almost criminal in my opinion. 

That kid has never been anything but good for Auburn University.  Thanks so much Conor, hope you enjoy your parting gift.....

22 hours ago, AuburnNTexas said:

I hate that mind-set......that it's bothersome and an annoyance to just be fair and equal....and that it's not a positive thing to expand opportunities for women. It's actually beneficial to Auburn in the long run when more gifted student-athletes get their chance to excel. And Auburn baseball would become an epic program under Butch if more scholarships were available. This would be a win-win situation for everyone. 

The NCAA is not known for having progressive policies so I don't think this will happen any time soon. Emmert's mishandling of the football players' financial compensation, and the basketball scandal could do him in eventually. A fresh perspective there would be good for collegiate athletics. Someone who understands Gen Z would be a great improvement. Emmert doesn't have a clue that 1980 left him.

Maybe the NCAA needs a woman at the helm....

On 6/30/2020 at 3:30 PM, AuburnNTexas said:

No, you're increasing  baseball scholarships from 11.7 to 25.  Just increase the softball scholarships from the current 12 to 25 and you'd be just about back even.

11 hours ago, Mikey said:

No, you're increasing  baseball scholarships from 11.7 to 25.  Just increase the softball scholarships from the current 12 to 25 and you'd be just about back even.

I like your way better than mine.

Couple things to note here: Travis Odom and Jackson Reynolds have transferred, while Garrett Martin and John Armstrong have decided to change their commits and go elsewhere. There are now 38 players expected to be on next year's roster.
https://auburn.rivals.com/news/tigers-expected-to-field-deep-and-talented-roster

4 hours ago, warbiscuit said:

Couple things to note here: Travis Odom and Jackson Reynolds have transferred, while Garrett Martin and John Armstrong have decided to change their commits and go elsewhere. There are now 38 players expected to be on next year's roster.
https://auburn.rivals.com/news/tigers-expected-to-field-deep-and-talented-roster

Were Martin or Armstrong really good?

On 7/8/2020 at 3:15 PM, auburnfan247 said:

Were Martin or Armstrong really good?

Armstrong wasn't really a hyped prospect. Martin was ranked the number 36 JUCO prospect from Perfect game, but not the biggest loss. Odom was a huge loss considering he was the number 174 prospect in the nation last year from Perfect Game, although that was more for being a SS and was being used as a P.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Archived