Auburn In The NFL Thread

aujeff11

Auburn NFL roundup: Cassanova McKinzy puts grief on hold

Washington outside linebacker Cassanova McKinzy said he stayed on the field at Mercedes-Benz Stadium in Atlanta a little longer than he usually does on Thursday night after the Redskins' 19-7 victory over the Falcons in an NFL preseason game.

Seeking to make an NFL regular-season roster coming out of the preseason for the first time in four tries, McKinzy took a step toward doing that by counting two sacks, including one that produced a fumble, among his three tackles against Atlanta.

McKinzy played even though his stepbrother died earlier in the week.

"I haven't cried all week," McKinzy said. "I haven't let anything out. I haven't told nobody. That was just my time to just let it all out. I feel a little better, and when I get around my family, I'll feel even more better."

McKinzy said he kept his stepbrother's death to himself to put the focus on football.

"At the end of the day, I still got a job," McKinzy said. "I've got to do my job. In that building, the only thing that matters is football. Everything else, you've got to keep outside the building. I didn't tell anyone because at the end of the day, it's still my job. I didn't want no pity from nobody. I just wanted to go out there and do my job and show that I can keep focus no matter what's going on in my life."

McKinzy was on the field for 26 defensive snaps and 10 special-teams plays against Atlanta.

The former Woodlawn High School standout sacked Danny Etling for a 4-yard loss on a second-and-9 snap at the Washington 38-yard line in the third quarter, causing Atlanta's newest quarterback to fumble, which the Falcons recovered.

In the fourth quarter, McKinzy sacked Etling for a 9-yard loss on a first-and-10 snap at the Falcons 20-yard line.

McKinzy was among the 36 former Auburn players who got on the field during the third week of the 2019 NFL preseason.

Two other former Auburn players saw action during the Redskins-Falcons game:

· Falcons long snapper Josh Harris handled eight snaps.

· Redskins linebacker Darrell Williams (Hoover) made two tackles while playing 15 defensive snaps.

In other Week 3 games:

Baltimore Ravens 26, Philadelphia Eagles 15

· Eagles safety Rudy Ford (New Hope) did not play. Ford joined Philadelphia from the Arizona Cardinals in a trade on Tuesday.

Buffalo Bills 24, Detroit Lions 20

· Kerryon Johnson (Madison Academy) started at running back for the Lions. During his eight snaps on the field, Johnson ran twice for 4 yards and caught a 7-yard pass.

· Bills wide receiver Duke Williams caught a touchdown pass for the second game in a row. He used his height to pull down a reception for a 16-yard touchdown pass with 31 seconds left in the third quarter as Buffalo took a 24-13 lead. Williams caught two more passes during his 38 offensive snaps, but they netted minus-1 yard.

Chicago Bears 27, Indianapolis Colts 17

· Bears cornerback John Franklin III made one tackle while playing 39 defensive snaps.

· Bears cornerback Jonathon Mincy made one tackle while playing 29 defensive snaps.

Dallas Cowboys 34, Houston Texans 0

· Angelo Blackson started at defensive end for the Texans. He made one tackle while playing nine defensive snaps.

Miami Dolphins 22, Jacksonville Jaguars 7

· Chandler Cox started at fullback for the Dolphins. He had one carry for no gain and was on the field for 13 offensive snaps and a team-leading 20 special-teams plays.

· Jaguars defensive tackle Dontavius Russell played 24 defensive snaps.

· Jaguars defensive tackle Andrew Williams made one tackle while playing 19 defensive snaps.

Minnesota Vikings 20, Arizona Cardinals 9

· Cardinals outside linebacker Jeff Holland made one tackle while playing 13 defensive snaps and two special-teams plays. On Sunday, Arizona waived Holland.

New England Patriots 10, Carolina Panthers 3

· Panthers running back Cameron Artis-Payne was on the field for two special-teams plays.

· Patriots defensive lineman Byron Cowart made two tackles while playing 19 defensive snaps.

· Patriots wide receiver Ryan Davis caught two passes for 8 yards while playing 15 offensive snaps.

· Patriots cornerback Jonathan Jones was on the field for nine defensive snaps and 10 special-teams plays.

· Patriots linebacker Brandon King (Thompson) was on the field for nine special-teams plays before suffering a season-ending injury. New England placed King on injured reserve on Sunday.

· Cam Newton started at quarterback for the Panthers. In his first preseason action, Newton took 11 snaps before leaving the game with a mid-foot sprain. Newton completed 4-of-6 passes for 30 yards with no touchdowns and no interceptions.

· Patriots quarterback Jarrett Stidham followed starter Tom Brady into the game. In 49 offensive snaps (64 percent of New England's total), Stidham completed 15-of-19 passes for 134 yards with no touchdowns and no interceptions.

New York Giants 25, Cincinnati Bengals 23

· Bengals linebacker Deshaun Davis (Vigor) made three tackles on defense and one on special teams. He was on the field for 31 defensive snaps and 12 special-teams plays.

· Bengals defensive end Carl Lawson recorded a strip sack, although the Giants recovered the fumble, during his 11 defensive snaps.

· Giants guard Chad Slade (Moody) played half of New York's offensive snaps.

· Giants wide receiver Darius Slayton caught a 27-yard pass for his first pro reception. A fifth-round draft choice on April 27, Slayton missed New York's first two preseason games because of a hamstring injury. He played 13 offensive snaps in his first pro action.

· C.J. Uzomah started at tight end for the Bengals. He caught two passes for 54 yards, including a 26-yard touchdown reception with nine seconds left in the first quarter for Cincinnati's first touchdown. Uzomah played seven offensive snaps.

Oakland Raiders 22, Green Bay Packers 21

· Montavius Adams started at defensive end for the Packers. He made three tackles during his 28 defensive snaps.

· Raiders place-kicker Daniel Carlson connected on a 33-yard field goal with eight seconds to play to lift Oakland to its one-point win. Carlson also made field goals from 42 and 40 yards and hit his only PAT of the game.

· Raiders cornerback Josh Holsey played eight defensive snaps.

· Packers safety Tray Matthews made three tackles and forced a fumble while playing 56 defensive snaps, and he added another tackle during his nine special-teams plays.

· Gabe Wright started at defensive tackle for the Raiders after a knee injury had kept him off the field for Oakland's first two preseason games. Wright logged one tackle while playing 38 defensive snaps.

Pittsburgh Steelers 18, Tennessee Titans 6

· Titans linebacker Daren Bates made three tackles.

San Francisco 49ers 27, Kansas City Chiefs 17

· Forty-Niners defensive end Dee Ford (St. Clair County) did not play. Knee tendinitis has kept Ford out of preseason action.

Seattle Seahawks 23, Los Angeles Chargers 15

· Seahawks cornerback Neiko Thorpe was on the field for 16 defensive snaps and eight special-teams plays.

Tampa Bay Buccaneers 13, Cleveland Browns 12

· Peyton Barber started at running back for the Buccaneers. He gained 3 yards on three carries during his 11 offensive snaps.

· Carlton Davis started at cornerback for the Buccaneers. He made one tackle and broke up one pass while playing 36 defensive snaps.

· Buccaneers cornerback Jamel Dean made two tackles on defense and three on special teams. He was on the field for 24 defensive snaps and a team-leading 17 special-teams plays.

· Browns defensive tackle Devaroe Lawrence's three tackles included two sacks. He played 30 defensive snaps.

· Greg Robinson started at left offensive tackle for the Browns and played 44 offensive snaps, which was 73 percent of Cleveland's total.

· Browns safety Jermaine Whitehead did not play.

• Thanks 2

For the second time this month, former Auburn standout Jeff Holland has been claimed off the NFL’s waiver wire.

Released by the Arizona Cardinals on Sunday, Holland is now a member of the Buffalo Bills. Ninth in the waiver-claim order, the Bills kept Holland from passing into free agency by claiming him on Monday.

Holland started training camp as a member of the Denver Broncos. When the Broncos waived Holland, the Cardinals claimed him on Aug. 12.

An outside linebacker with Denver and Arizona, Holland is listed as a defensive end in Buffalo's scheme. Holland was an All-SEC defensive end for Auburn in 2017, when he recorded nine sacks.

The Bills will play the Minnesota Vikings at 6 p.m. CDT Thursday in their final preseason game. Like the other NFL teams, Buffalo has to reduce its 90-player preseason roster to the regular-season limit of 53 by 3 p.m. Saturday.

Holland played in preseason games for Denver on Aug. 1 and 8. He made four tackles and registered a quarterback hit while playing 81 defensive snaps in the contests.

Holland also played in preseason games for Arizona on Aug. 15 and 24. He made three tackles while playing 29 defensive snaps in the contests.

Holland joined the Broncos last year as an undrafted rookie. After spending most of the 2018 season on Denver's practice squad, Holland played in the final three games of the campaign. He made six tackles while getting on the field for 43 defensive snaps and nine special-teams plays.

Defensive tackle Devaroe Lawrence’s college career ended when he suffered a torn anterior cruciate ligament in the 2016 Iron Bowl. Since then, his surgeries on the injured knee outnumber his NFL regular-season games two to one.

To change those numbers, the former Auburn lineman needs to survive the Cleveland Browns’ roster reduction from the 90-player preseason maximum to the regular-season limit of 53 on Saturday.

Lawrence has tried to do his part. He registered two sacks in the Browns' preseason game last week, and he's been so hard to handle in practice that coach Freddie Kitchens made him raise his hand one day to make sure Cleveland's offensive linemen knew they were supposed to be blocking him.

But on the Browns’ depth chart, Lawrence is still listed as the third-team right defensive tackle.

“Just control what I can control,” Lawrence said of the looming roster cuts. “Of course, I mean, I’m human, so I’m going to be nervous. You know what I’m saying? I trust the Lord just to let the chips fall where they fall.”

Lawrence should have another game to show what he can do. The Browns conclude their preseason schedule against the Detroit Lions at 6:30 p.m. CDT Thursday.

Lawrence entered the NFL as an undrafted rookie with the New Orleans Saints. When his knee required a second surgery, the Saints put him on injured reserve for the 2017 season. Lawrence registered 10 tackles, 2.5 sacks, three tackles for loss, four quarterback hits and one pass broken up in New Orleans' four preseason games in his comeback last year.

When the Saints cut their roster to the regular-season limit, they traded Lawrence to the Browns. He played two defensive snaps in the season-opening game for Cleveland, spent the next three as a game-day inactive and went to the Browns’ practice squad for the rest of the season.

In Cleveland's preseason opener on Aug. 8, Lawrence registered three tackles, including a sack, while playing 29 defensive snaps in a 30-10 victory over the Washington Redskins.

The next week, though, Lawrence was carted off the field after going down during a joint practice with the Indianapolis Colts. Lawrence said the incident scared him.

“I thought it was something, and I was tripping,” Lawrence said. "And I was just like, ‘I don’t like how I feel.’ And then when I found out it was nothing, it’s just like, ‘All right, it ain’t nothing, so let’s go.’

"And that's just from my mind. I feel like that's all players with injuries. The first battle you've got to beat is the mental battle with it, and then the second part is physical, so once they told me it was nothing, it was like, 'All right, let's go' again."

Lawrence made it back to take 19 defensive snaps in the Browns' 21-18 preseason victory over the Colts on Aug. 17. Then came a three-tackle, two-sack showing during 30 snaps in a 13-12 loss to the Tampa Bay Buccaneers on Friday night.

“It always feels good to make plays,” Lawrence said, “so when I got those two sacks, adrenaline was just running high. So just stay calm, get to the next play and see if I can get another one. But it felt good that night, though.”

Lawrence said he thought he was playing with more confidence and had quit playing scared.

“That’s really always been my thing: Stop thinking so much,” Lawrence said. "Just go play. Scared to mess up, scared to make this mistake, scared to take that step, but when you get to doing that, you’re not playing fast.

"When I'm not thinking, I play faster."

Lawrence's roster measurements of 6-foot-2 and 295 pounds put him on the smaller side for an NFL defensive tackle, especially compared to the offensive linemen he routinely runs up against.https://www.al.com/sports/2019/08/devaroe-lawrence-making-plays-in-bid-for-browns-roster-spot.html

“Most of them are a little taller, some 6-7, some 6-6, 6-5,” Lawrence said. “I might be 6-2, maybe 6-3. But you know, I take my approach as the little-man syndrome. Just be a firecracker. Yeah, you think you bigger than me and you going to push me around? You ain’t finna push me around. Got that little-man syndrome. Get mad in there. Knock them around a little bit. And the look on their face when you get them to move around a little bit -- they feel the strength a little bit, that weight room.”

The Browns are generating waves of optimism in the preseason. After failing to win a game in the 2017 season, Cleveland posted a 7-8-1 record last year, surging as the 2018 went on behind No. 1 draft pick Baker Mayfield at quarterback. In the offseason, the Browns' acquisitions included all-star wide receiver Odell Beckham Jr.

But it will be what happens in the trenches that determines how high Cleveland can rise, Lawrence said.

“I feel like the team is going as far as the offensive line takes us and as far as the defensive line takes us,” Lawrence said. “If your big boys are not leading your team, then what you got? We’ve got our quarterback and we’ve got other guys in other positions that are leaders, but it’s like at the end of the day, it’s your big boys because your receivers and your quarterback ain’t going to walk up on nobody and scare them. But when your D-line and your O-line walk up, it’s like, ‘Yeah, boys, we finna to have a fight today.’”

Edited by Auburn Kev

Hah. I was just talking about this guy. He came in raw and didn't really get the production or the pub at Auburn but he is an absolute monster and I won't be surprised at all if he sticks around the NFL awhile.

Good stuff. 

• Like 1

So happy for Devaroe.

Damn, Stidham looks kinda bad ass with the shaved head, lol. 

Absolutely insane that we fielded that trash ass offense last year with that kid as our quarterback. Sorry, Gus. Never gonna get over that. 

• Like 3

@McLoofus, I’m going to have to get a Stidham Patriots shirt. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, aubearcat said:

I have a feeling you'll be standing in line behind a lot of ladies who pahk theyuh cahs at Bahston Yahd. 

• Haha 1

I love the northeastern accent. 

2 minutes ago, aubearcat said:

I love the northeastern accent. 

Me too, man. My in-laws are Massachusetts on one side and Long Island on the other, and I used to work for (and now still support products made by) a Boston-based company. Always love visiting both areas. 

• Like 1

Auburn NFL roundup: Jarrett Stidham leads preseason passers

Updated Aug 30, 1:14 AM; Today 1:02 AM

After three preseason games as the second quarterback into the game for New England, rookie Jarrett Stidham was the first -- and only -- signal-caller for the Patriots in their preseason finale against the New York Giants on Thursday night.

In the Patriots' 31-29 loss at Gillette Stadium, Stidham completed 18-of-28 passes for 225 yards with two touchdowns and one interception. Stidham also ran for 50 yards on seven carries.

The fourth-round draft choice from Auburn threw two second-quarter TD passes to wide receiver Demaryius Thomas, who was making his New England debut after suffering a torn Achilles tendon last season.

NFL teams must reduce their 90-player preseason rosters to the regular-season limit of 53 by 3 p.m. CDT Saturday. Whatever happens in the Patriots’ cuts, Stidham won’t be the starter in New England’s season-opening game against the Pittsburgh Steelers on Sept. 8.

Tom Brady will be back in place as the Patriots' No. 1 quarterback. But will Stidham be No. 2 or will veteran backup Brian Hoyer continue in that role? And if the rookie isn't the backup, will New England keep three quarterbacks on the active roster? If it doesn't, it will have to put Stidham on waivers, giving the rest of the league the opportunity to claim him, which makes it an unlikely option for the Patriots.

“Whatever decision is made, whatever my role is on this team, that’s what I’m going to do,” Stidham said during a postgame press conference. “Whatever it is, I’m going to work, continue to work as hard as I possibly can to do that and to help the team in whatever way I can, so that’s kind of how I’m looking at it.”

Stidham led the NFL in passing yards in the 2019 preseason, when he completed 61-of-90 passes for 731 yards with four touchdowns and one interception.

“A lot of mistakes, good learning, great learning,” Stidham said of his preseason. “I’ve been able to really sit back and watch the film with (offensive coordinator) Josh (McDaniels) and the coaching staff and figure out what I need to do to get better. That was my whole focus this preseason was to get better every single day and continue to grow from game to game.”

The Giants won Thursday night's game when Kyle Lauletta threw a 14-yard pass to Alonzo Russell on the final snap.

Jarrett was among the 24 former Auburn players who got on the field during the final night of the 2019 NFL preseason.

Five other former Auburn players were at the Giants-Patriots game:

Byron Cowart started at defensive end for the Patriots. He registered a quarterback hit.

Wide receiver Ryan Davis played for the Patriots. He did not record any stats.

Patriots cornerback Jonathan Jones did not play.

Chad Slade (Moody) started at right offensive tackle for the Giants.

Giants wide receiver Darius Slayton did not play.

In the other Thursday night games:

Atlanta Falcons 31, Jacksonville Jaguars 12

Long snapper Josh Harris played for the Falcons.

Defensive tackle Dontavius Russell played for the Jaguars. He did not record any stats.

Defensive tackle Andrew Williams registered one tackle for the Jaguars.

Baltimore Ravens 20, Washington Redskins 7

Cassanova McKinzy (Woodlawn) started at weakside linebacker for the Redskins. McKinzy made one tackle before he left the game in the second quarter and did not return. The Redskins said McKinzy had sustained a concussion.

Linebacker Darrell Williams (Hoover) played for the Redskins. He made six tackles and registered a quarterback hit.

Cleveland Browns 20, Detroit Lions 16

Lions running back Kerryon Johnson (Madison Academy) did not play.

Devaroe Lawrence started at defensive tackle for the Browns. He registered a sack to give him four during the preseason.

Browns offensive tackle Greg Robinson did not play.

Jermaine Whitehead started at safety for the Browns. He made one tackle.

Indianapolis Colts 13, Cincinnati Bengals 6

Linebacker Deshaun Davis (Vigor) made a team-leading seven tackles, including one behind the line of scrimmage, for the Bengals' defense. Davis also had a special-teams tackle.

Bengals defensive end Carl Lawson did not play.

Colts offensive tackle Braden Smith did not play.

Bengals tight end C.J. Uzomah did not play.

Green Bay Packers 27, Kansas City Chiefs 20

Packers defensive lineman Montavius Adams did not play.

Safety Tray Matthews made six tackles, recorded a sack and forced a fumble for the Packers.

Los Angeles Chargers 27, San Francisco 49ers 24

Forty-Niners defensive end Dee Ford (St. Clair County) did not play.

Los Angeles Rams 22, Houston Texans 10

Texans defensive end Angelo Blackson did not play.

Miami Dolphins 16, New Orleans Saints 13

Chandler Cox started at fullback for the Dolphins. He caught two passes for 25 yards.

Buffalo Bills 27, Minnesota Vikings 23

Defensive end Jeff Holland made two tackles three days after being claimed off waivers by Bills.

Duke Williams started at wide receiver for the Bills. He caught two passes for 18 yards.

Seattle Seahawks 17, Oakland Raiders 15

Place-kicker Daniel Carlson made field goals of 20, 23 and 43 yards for the Raiders, but he had a 42-yard attempt bounced off the right upright.

Cornerback Josh Holsey played for the Raiders. He did not record any stats.

Seahawks cornerback Neiko Thorpe did not play.

Gabe Wright started at defensive tackle for the Raiders. He made three tackles, including a sack.

New York Jets 6, Philadelphia Eagles 0

Eagles safety Rudy Ford (New Hope) did not play.

Carolina Panthers 25, Pittsburgh Steelers 19

Cameron Artis-Payne started at running back for the Panthers. He gained 6 yards on two carries and caught a 4-yard pass.

Panthers quarterback Cam Newton did not play.

Tampa Bay Buccaneers 17, Dallas Cowboys 15

Buccaneers running back Peyton Barber did not play.

Buccaneers cornerback Carlton Davis did not play.

Jamel Dean started at cornerback for the Buccaneers. He made one tackle.

Tennessee Titans 19, Chicago Bears 15

Linebacker Daren Bates played for the Titans. He did not record any stats.

Cornerback John Franklin III made two tackles and returned two kickoffs for 47 yards for the Bears.

Jonathon Mincy started at safety for the Bears. He made four tackles on defense and one on special teams.

2 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

Stidham likely locked up his spot in New England last night, and expect Hoyer will be traded. 

@McLoofus, at least we had 2017. 

I'd say we massively underutilized his skills that season, too- 5th in our division in YPC- but the offense mostly worked so no harm no foul I guess. 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Auburn Kev said:

Linebacker Deshaun Davis (Vigor) made a team-leading seven tackles, including one behind the line of scrimmage, for the Bengals' defense. Davis also had a special-teams tackle.

My dude :wub:

22 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

I'd say we massively underutilized his skills that season, too- 5th in our division in YPC- but the offense mostly worked so no harm no foul I guess. 

I don't know how massively they were underutilized, but I agree that they were. I wish we had a dominant receiver while he was here. It may have happened with Williams last year if not for the abysmal offensive line play. We had good receivers in 2017, but no one who was going to take a game over. Come to think of it, when was the last time we had someone like that? Duke Williams in 2014, maybe? You look at the powerhouse offenses around the country, and it definitely appears to be a key ingredient. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Barnacle said:

I don't know how massively they were underutilized, but I agree that they were. I wish we had a dominant receiver while he was here. It may have happened with Williams last year if not for the abysmal offensive line play. We had good receivers in 2017, but no one who was going to take a game over. Come to think of it, when was the last time we had someone like that? Duke Williams in 2014, maybe? You look at the powerhouse offenses around the country, and it definitely appears to be a key ingredient. 

Yeah. We definitely haven't gotten the play from the receivers. I personally don't think it's been a recruiting issue. 

And until we throw to the middle of the field, we're massively under-utilizing several guys' skills IMO. But I understand the push back on that. "Massively" might be hyperbolic. Which would be a first for me.......

• Like 4

1 minute ago, McLoofus said:

Yeah. We definitely haven't gotten the play from the receivers. I personally don't think it's been a recruiting issue. 

And until we throw to the middle of the field, we're massively under-utilizing several guys' skills IMO. But I understand the push back on that. "Massively" might be hyperbolic. Which would be a first for me.......

Yeah just look at all the receivers we have who could be dominant over the middle in a variety of scenarios. Speed guys like Stove, Hastings and Schwartz are ideal for crossing  routes, and then you've got some big bodies in Williams, Canella, and Jay Jay Wilson. This is one of those seasons where, personnel-wise, we should have the versatility to do whatever we want - both in the passing and running games. Looking at all the skill positions, we pretty much have a player for any role you could draw up. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Barnacle said:

Yeah just look at all the receivers we have who could be dominant over the middle in a variety of scenarios. Speed guys like Stove, Hastings and Schwartz are ideal for crossing  routes, and then you've got some big bodies in Williams, Canella, and Jay Jay Wilson. This is one of those seasons where, personnel-wise, we should have the versatility to do whatever we want - both in the passing and running games. Looking at all the skill positions, we pretty much have a player for any role you could draw up. 

And an offensive line that should be at least "meh", which is way better than last year. 

No excuse not to be playing good football this year but there honestly haven't been any since 2015 IMO. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

And an offensive line that should be at least "meh", which is way better than last year. 

No excuse not to be playing good football this year but there honestly haven't been any since 2015 IMO. 

I'll excuse a lot of what happened last year on the offensive line, at least to the extent that they made it extremely hard for our offense to run with consistency, but not to the extent that we ignore the poor recruiting that got us there in the first place. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, aubearcat said:

Sorry, if you look at my image, no way can I wear ANY Patriots shirt, but I will pull for Stidham as an Auburn alum.

If he ends up being the heir to Brady, I will surely be ticked for a long time (not bc of Stidham) but bc of Gus not using him they way he is skilled in his QB strengths. If it wasn't for his hot games against Bama and GA in his first year, we would have had two avg years under Gus and his future NFL QB Stidham. 

Edited by steeleagle
  • Like 2