Unchecked Potitical Correctness

KolchakAU85

The National Basketball Association (NBA) has recently "moved away from" calling NBA team owners "owners". https://www.yahoo.com/news/nba-pc-move-away-word-003836805.html

That's right.  The owner of an NBA team can no longer be called the "owner".  Because last month, NBA commissioner Adam Silver told TMZ Sports that the NBA has “moved away” from the word “owner” because of its connotations with slavery.

Political correctness fueled by unchecked liberalism has gone wrong and has reached sickening levels of stupidity.

Just a few days ago, the Illinois State Fair banned country group "Confederate Railroad" from appearing at their state fair BECAUSE OF THEIR NAME.  Even though their name was adopted in 1987, and they have no controversial songs.

Again, political correctness fueled by unchecked liberalism has gone wrong and has reached sickening levels of stupidity.  But my guess is this is only the beginning.

Absolutely ridiculous.  They own the business, not the individuals.  "Governor of the team"? Really?!  The dumbing down of the world continues.   :no:

7 hours ago, KolchakAU85 said:

The National Basketball Association (NBA) has recently "moved away from" calling NBA team owners "owners". https://www.yahoo.com/news/nba-pc-move-away-word-003836805.html

That's right.  The owner of an NBA team can no longer be called the "owner".  Because last month, NBA commissioner Adam Silver told TMZ Sports that the NBA has “moved away” from the word “owner” because of its connotations with slavery.

Political correctness fueled by unchecked liberalism has gone wrong and has reached sickening levels of stupidity.

Just a few days ago, the Illinois State Fair banned country group "Confederate Railroad" from appearing at their state fair BECAUSE OF THEIR NAME.  Even though their name was adopted in 1987, and they have no controversial songs.

Again, political correctness fueled by unchecked liberalism has gone wrong and has reached sickening levels of stupidity.  But my guess is this is only the beginning.

Sounds like there's a state that should be thinking about a name change. 

Illinois-

noun, plural Il·li·nois [il-uh-noi, -noiz] /ˌɪl əˈnɔɪ, -ˈnɔɪz/.

a member of a confederacy of North American Indians of Algonquian stock, formerly occupying Illinois and adjoining regions westward.

The use of Political Correctness is dependent on which side of the isle you are on.  As an example:  NBC news has an exclusive stating Mitch McConnell is the descendant of slave holders:

Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell, who said recently he opposes paying government reparations to the descendants of American slaves, has a family history deeply entwined in the issue: Two of his great-great-grandfathers were slave owners, U.S. census records show.

The two great-great-grandfathers, James McConnell and Richard Daley, owned a total of at least 14 slaves in Limestone County, Alabama — all but two of them female, according to the county “Slave Schedules” in the 1850 and 1860 censuses.

The details about McConnell’s ancestors, discovered by NBC News through a search of ancestry and census records, came in the wake of recent hearings on reparations before the House Judiciary Subcommittee on the Constitution, Civil Rights and Civil Liberties. Asked about the reparations issue, McConnell, R-Ky., said he was opposed to the idea, arguing it would be hard to figure out whom to compensate.

“I don’t think reparations for something that happened 150 years ago, when none of us currently living are responsible, is a good idea,” he said June 18, a day before the House reparations hearing. “We’ve tried to deal with our original sin of slavery by fighting a civil war, by passing landmark civil rights legislation. We’ve elected an African American president.”

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/congress/mitch-mcconnell-ancestors-slave-owners-alabama-1800s-census-n1027511

When asked about this in a news conference, his response was pure gold:

"I find myself once again in the same position as President [Barack] Obama. We both oppose reparations and we both are the descendants of slave owners," he said, before moving on to another question.

Pull up the video in the link and you can actually see Mitch smirk as he anticipates answering the question.  Priceless.

https://www.nbcnews.com/video/acting-dhs-secretary-reveals-most-mass-attacks-in-2018-had-warning-signs-63536709822

Now, you will not see NBC or any other MSM outlet discussing the descendants of Kamala Harris being slave owners.  Just another example of the MSM trying to control the narrative. 

9 hours ago, KolchakAU85 said:

believe it or not i know the bass player for confed very very well. i met him after his son died several years ago. i have never heard one single racist comment from "mo" and we talk at least a couple times a month. it is my understanding the gov did that on his own. things may have changed n the last couple of days. but some other cats in the same state just hired them to play to stick a thumb in the gov's eye so to speak. they will be doing a free show in hokes bluff in a few weeks.

12 hours ago, KolchakAU85 said:

The protest to the Confederate Railroad thing is dumb.  However, from a business POV, I totally understand the NBA wanting to move away from the owner term.  Think about it like this:

- 75% of the players are African-American

- African-Americans make up 45% of the league's fan-base in the U.S., making them the largest group of fans based on race or ethnicity.

- Gen Z (current 18-21 year olds) are participating in and watching basketball at much higher rates than Millennials or other previous generations.  Note too that Gen Z is less likely to ignore connotations of words like owner when it's in reference to a sports team comprised of mostly minorities.

Most fans don't look at it as a business, even though that's exactly what it is.  I think a reasonable change could be something like this:

The owner of my company's actual title is "Chairman".  Why not do the same for the NBA if a large portion of your business is focused on marketing to and capturing the attention and dollars of the African-American and youth communities?

4 hours ago, Brad_ATX said:

The protest to the Confederate Railroad thing is dumb.  However, from a business POV, I totally understand the NBA wanting to move away from the owner term.  Think about it like this:

- 75% of the players are African-American

- African-Americans make up 45% of the league's fan-base in the U.S., making them the largest group of fans based on race or ethnicity.

- Gen Z (current 18-21 year olds) are participating in and watching basketball at much higher rates than Millennials or other previous generations.  Note too that Gen Z is less likely to ignore connotations of words like owner when it's in reference to a sports team comprised of mostly minorities.

Most fans don't look at it as a business, even though that's exactly what it is.  I think a reasonable change could be something like this:

The owner of my company's actual title is "Chairman".  Why not do the same for the NBA if a large portion of your business is focused on marketing to and capturing the attention and dollars of the African-American and youth communities?

Brad, you're just another example of "unchecked liberalism" running amok.  :laugh:

(I have to admit though, Kolchak is good for a some laughs - in a  'Hyperbole R Us' sort of way.)

3 hours ago, homersapien said:

Brad, you're just another example of "unchecked liberalism" running amok.  :laugh:

(I have to admit though, Kolchak is good for a some laughs - in a  'Hyperbole R Us' sort of way.)

Glad to provide you some laughs.  You've given me many, so I'm glad to return the favor.

Well, I must admit, I'm quite surprised that I wasn't completely flamed (or banned) for my very conservative take on this subject.

Homer gave me some grief (but not excessive), and I can understand that and take it.  No problem Homer.  We're both AU.

I give you liberals a lot of credit (Homer included).  You can hear an opposing opinion without spewing hatred.  Very refreshing.

Now, if you would all just convert to conservatism, that would be even more refreshing.  I'm holding my breath, so hurry up...

:)

57 minutes ago, KolchakAU85 said:

Well, I must admit, I'm quite surprised that I wasn't completely flamed (or banned) for my very conservative take on this subject.

Homer gave me some grief (but not excessive), and I can understand that and take it.  No problem Homer.  We're both AU.

I give you liberals a lot of credit (Homer included).  You can hear an opposing opinion without spewing hatred.  Very refreshing.

Now, if you would all just convert to conservatism, that would be even more refreshing.  I'm holding my breath, so hurry up...

No need to be shocked.  This is the serious side of the political forum and was created exactly for the reason of hearing each other out.  We participate here to debate vigorously but earnestly.  There's plenty of vitriol and mud-slinging in the political smack talk forum to go around.

Also, you gotta do a LOT to get banned from here (like threaten people, use racial slurs, etc).  Just being conservative ain't enough to kick you out. 

Stick around.  Your opinions are important.  None of us see the world exactly the same way and that's ok.  Just remember that on this side of the political forum, expect to be pushed out of your comfort zone and have your thoughts challenged by some smart folks.

Except about Bama.  Everyone hates those guys 😀

The race, religion or gender of the NBA franchise owners shouldn't matter in the least. The owners are technically owners of the business itself. They pay the salaries and negotiate the contracts of their employees just like a normal business.  Yes, they make a ton of money. So do the players. The difference is, the owners also own the risk and are responsible for the franchise making money, or tanking.  

Most of the world would change roles with any of the participants in a heartbeat and wouldn't give a rat's &&^ what the owners were called.  The whole notion is incredibly stupid. 

This just shows how silly and hypocritical the PC culture has become.

Draymond Green doesn't want to have owners where he works, but has no issue calling himself an owner when it comes to his business.

https://www.fanduel.com/theduel/posts/draymond-green-uses-owner-in-his-twitter-bio-despite-advocating-for-nba-to-ban-term-01de7fxnb68c

Starbucks claims to have open door policies and everyone is welcome, but paying officers are asked to leave or move out of sight because an individual feels uncomfortable around them.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2019/07/07/tempe-starbucks-coffee-giant-apologizes-kicking-cops-out-shop/1667649001/

Kaperdick opposes (though I'm thinking this might of been a money set up the entire time) and constructs meaning into symbols as oppressive from the 1700's. Then ignores that in 2019 his paycheck is in litigation for oppressive actions.

PC in America has become more of a me...me...me.. thing than actual attempts to resolve issues.

13 hours ago, Brad_ATX said:

Meh, I don’t think the league should go down this road. In five years, the next discussion will focus on “Chairman” being a sexist term !

3 hours ago, NolaAuTiger said:

Meh, I don’t think the league should go down this road. In five years, the next discussion will focus on “Chairman” being a sexist term !

Yeah, like the push to rename "Man Hole Cover" to "Person Hole Cover" was in the 1980s.  That was a topic of debate back then.

Speaking of unchecked political correctness, see this article.  I hope posting links is OK.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/christian-doctor-trans-woman-sacked-gender-pronouns-universal-credit-a8999176.html

15 hours ago, KolchakAU85 said:

image.png

Sometimes PC stuff annoys the hell out of me.  But my 'give a damn' is busted on what the NBA wants to call its franchise owners.

I don’t give a damn about the NBA owners/ governorship....except it is ridiculous. Just not worth the battle and really nothing to argue about. 

The Confederate Railroad deal is different. I saw this band about 25 years ago. Paid for by someone else but I had a good time. I only remember one song. “I like my women a little on the trashy side “.  Very forgettable music but actually got to meet them briefly after the show and they were a hoot. Flirted going big time but didn’t. Probably make a modest living. Nothing easy about beating the bushes from club to club. They had a big confederate flag stretched across back of stage. ( most people here know my opinion on the flag. I personally don’t display it and don’t want it on public buildings but it’s not a dealbreaker if others like to display it and are truly too ignorant to understand the implications it will make). Just old school country boys making a living chasing a dream back then. 

Fast forward to now I was actually surprised they would be invited to play an Illinois state fair. But they were booked to perform. With the same name they had for nearly 30 years. Then dropped only because of the name. No problem cited with them at all. That’s discrimination all day long. I would understand if they were asked not to display the flag ( if they even still do). But still allowed to play.  At the very least pay them the agreed  amount. But this kind of political correctness helps nothing. It just hurt folks trying to stomp out a living. But worst of all it hurts the already divided country we have. It makes the far right angry. It pushes people in the center farther right and this bullsheyt is why we have Trump. The political correctness left must learn to pick their damn battles better. Not one individual who sees or hears about this will be influenced to participate in the democratic process and vote( who already don’t vote straight blue). This s*** right here will stir up shitgibbons who never planned to even register to vote to buy those gd MAGA hats and become Fox News fanatics. The left is almost as sickening as the deplorables. 

8 hours ago, homersapien said:

image.png

WDE Homer.  WDE.  You're welcome to stop by my tailgate for some ribs any time.

33 minutes ago, KolchakAU85 said:

WDE Homer.  WDE.  You're welcome to stop by my tailgate for some ribs any time.

You better not be using propane and/or aluminum in any manner - else he will be offended.

9 hours ago, NolaAuTiger said:

You better not be using propane and/or aluminum in any manner - else he will be offended.

Oh no.  Charcoal only.  Started in a chimney with no lighter fluid.  With cherry wood chunks for smoke flavor.  Best damn baby back ribs you've ever had, smoked over direct coals (Pit Barrel Cooker).  Would make you slap your granny.

As a liberal ---

The person who owns a business (and that includes a pro sports franchise) is an OWNER of the business. Personally, I own a business. I am the owner. Period. Hire me or don't hire me. Work for me or don't work for me.

HOWEVER -- a business (and that includes a band named Confederate Railroad or Nazi Renegades or Grab-em-by-the-P***y Band) -- they can use whatever name they want. But no one is required to employ that business, no matter what their reason. Big Butt Band -- nope, not interested. Ugly Fat Woman Exotic Dance Troupe -- uh, no. Big Sausage Jock Strap Catering -- uh, nope. Pink Fairy Boys Troupe -- nope. Fat Confederate Moving Company -- nope.

It's interesting that the people who complain about Confederate Railroad not being hired are usually the same ones who think it's okay to refuse to bake a cake for a gay couple.

52 minutes ago, SaltyTiger said:

New Band?

Not playing in Massachusetts, but probably popular in Alabama.

Archived