2019 Nip Watch

WarTim

15 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

Mom & Dad live on Lookout Mtn in Ft. Payne and tell me it hasn't rained in forever.ย  Therefore their trees are dropping leaves like it's Fall.ย  So it must be a nippy 95ยฐ at least. ๐Ÿ˜Ž

Love me some Ft.Payne.....at least eventually they will see snow๐Ÿ˜‚..........as you well know my Floridian friend the heat index is somewhere between 125 and 1000.๐Ÿ˜‚ On this any day of August 2019.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply
29 minutes ago, kevon67 said:

Love me some Ft.Payne.....at least eventually they will see snow๐Ÿ˜‚..........as you well know my Floridian friend the heat index is somewhere between 125 and 1000.๐Ÿ˜‚ On this any day of August 2019.

Saturday, the temperature in HHI at 7:30 PM was 89. The heat index was 103. I haven't bothered looking since then.

The sand gnats and mosquitoes are winning the war.

Please see that Sally gets my pocket watch. And tell Mama I was brave.

23 minutes ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

Current heat index as of noon in Memphis is 109, I think I heard someone say it was going up to 117 with the index. No nip anywhere in sight for the mid-south.ย 

Same for us geez the bass are extremely deep or hidden so far in the grass you cant get to them.......Bet for those poor bass feel as if there swimming in a boiling pot.

11 minutes ago, kevon67 said:

Same for us geez the bass are extremely deep or hidden so far in the grass you cant get to them.......Bet for those poor bass feel as if there swimming in a boiling pot.

I donโ€™t want to even try.ย 

2 hours ago, kevon67 said:

I love it there too.ย  Moving to Knoxville (now planning for spring/summer of '20) means we'll only be 2-1/2 to 3 hours away (as opposed to the 1/2 day it is now).ย ย 

Funny thing is that I live on the Fla Gulf Coast yet my first sunburn of the year was in K'ville a couple weeks ago, LOL!

The air temp does actually get hotter around much of the country than it does here as we hover around 85-95 usually (coastal breeze, I guess) but being so much closer to the equator the sun is INTENSE during the summer and, of course, the typical humidity and thunderstorms are legendary (and legit).ย  You can literally get a sunburn in 15 mins just walking outside... it's nuts.ย  Plus, our lows during summer don't get much below 80 either.ย  Night's just as yucky as day.

But hey, we have to check our pools & under our cars for snakes & gators so we've got THAT going for us. ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿคฃ

5 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

Plus, our lows during summer don't get much below 80 either.ย  Night's just as yucky as day.

That's what the northeasterners who like to tell you that sometimes it hits 90 up there don't understand. That's the difference. There's no escaping it.

1 minute ago, McLoofus said:

That's what the northeasterners who like to tell you that sometimes it hits 90 up there don't understand. That's the difference. There's no escaping it.

Exactly.ย  Even I used to be guilty of saying "well, it gets hot & humid here in Atlanta and sometimes even hotter....yada, yada...."

No.... It's still VERY different.ย  Plus it's like this mid-April until Jan/Feb.ย  Then it's 75ยฐ and low humidity.....but that's when our population suddenly quadruples with people who go to dinner at 4 pm, can't see over their steering wheels & create 1/4 mile long lines at the Walgreens pharmacy counter....at lunchtime....

Can you tell that I'm tired of living in Florida?ย  ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿคฃ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿคฃ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿคฃ

Here in North Texas another day over 100 with heat Index around 108 and what is funny until about 2 weeks ago this had been one of the coolest summers in the 25 years since I moved here. Luckily the Auburn - Oregon game is inside.

4 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

Exactly.ย  Even I used to be guilty of saying "well, it gets hot & humid here in Atlanta and sometimes even hotter....yada, yada...."

No.... It's still VERY different.ย  Plus it's like this mid-April until Jan/Feb.ย  Then it's 75ยฐ and low humidity.....but that's when our population suddenly quadruples with people who go to dinner at 4 pm, can't see over their steering wheels & create 1/4 mile long lines at the Walgreens pharmacy counter....at lunchtime....

Can you tell that I'm tired of living in Florida?ย  ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿคฃ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿคฃ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿคฃ

I feel like I remember you mentioning that once....

OMG. The drivers. Best time I ever had in Sarasota was following a lady who turned on her wipers instead of her turn signal like 5 times in a row. While turning from the middle lane, of course.ย 

And the handicap parking spots outnumber the other ones.ย 

Shifting gears a bit.....Local HS band fundraising in Publix parking lot. Hearing them play is a needle mover !!!

3 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

I feel like I remember you mentioning that once....

OMG. The drivers. Best time I ever had in Sarasota was following a lady who turned on her wipers instead of her turn signal like 5 times in a row. While turning from the middle lane, of course.ย 

And the handicap parking spots outnumber the other ones.ย 

Did you get to witness all of the cars running their Hazard Lights in a rain shower?ย  Hey, at least they admit they're hazards on the road.ย :rimshot:

I will say though, snowbird season IS the time of year when only 50% of beach-goers look better than me.ย  The rest of the year it's pretty much ALL of them.ย :partey:

5 minutes ago, WarTim said:

Shifting gears a bit.....Local HS band fundraising in Publix parking lot. Hearing them play is a needle mover !!!

Sorry for the derail....

I used to LOVE that.ย  Hearing them practice from our back deck, growing up.

I did see, ESPN's first televised HS game of the season is next Friday.ย  That means the college boys ain't far behind!!!

I saw leaves fallen in neighborhood this morning! Buy Iโ€™m pretty sure the damn tree was having a heat stroke. Itโ€™s extremely flipping hot. I donโ€™t know how kids practice football in this mess. I can barely weed eat. ย 

I remember back in the day we were ALLOWED to drink water Before and After practice. Asking for water earned you stadium steps...

Been playing NCAA 14 with this year's rosters.ย  Going to be a fun year.ย  Simulated a season, and we went 12-0.ย  Played a season, and many awards were handed out.ย  Nips could cut glass.

Using my very scientific Xbox platform, I see the SEC laying out like this:

Auburn - 11-1 (7-1)

Updykes - 10-2 (6-2

TAMU - 9-3 (6-3)

LSwho - 8-4 (5-3)ย  (HOT SEAT)

MSST - 8-4 (4-4)ย  (HOT SEAT)

Ole Miss - 6-6 (3-5)ย  (FIRED)

Arkansas - 3-9 (0-8)ย  (HOT SEAT)

ย 

Thuga - 10-2 (6-2)

Missouri - 10-2 (6-2)

Florida - 9-3 (5-3)

Kentucky - 9-3 (5-3)

Tenuhsee - 7-5 (3-5)ย  ย (HOT SEAT)

Vanderbilt - 4-8 (1-7)ย  ย (FIRED)

South Carolina - 3-9 (1-7)ย  ย (FIRED)

ย 

Auburn beats thuga in the SECC - 41-17

Playoffs

Auburn - 2 Seed

Clemson - 1 Seed

Ohio State - 3 Seed

Texas - 4 Seed

Texas upsets Clemson - Auburn dominates OHST

Auburn beast Texas in one of the best NCCG ever.

On 8/4/2019 at 1:08 PM, Tiger Sue said:

I'm a newbie and almost afraid to ask but what is nip watch?

Welcome, and you demonstrate a high level of wisdom by not asking.ย ๐Ÿ˜„

16 minutes ago, WarTim said:

I remember back in the day we were ALLOWED to drink water Before and After practice. Asking for water earned you stadium steps...

Back in the day.....Before Evian, when a hose pipe worked just fine.ย 

13 minutes ago, Gowebb11 said:
30 minutes ago, WarTim said:

We actually had a contraption that looked like a cross between an octopus & a bong (but it was a water pump).

However, like WarTim said, we weren't allowed to ASK for water.ย  They'd stop us and let us have a water break when the coaches were good and tired.

20 minutes ago, Gowebb11 said:

Hose pipes would cause fights.ย  We had water trough where there was a metal pipe going across the top that had holes in the top of it that you could drink as water sprayed up.ย  You never wanted to be the first in line because that water was disgustingly hot on the two-a-day practices.ย  However you only had about 3 minutes to get water and back to your station so sometimes nasty hot pipe water was all you could get.ย  If everyone wasn't back to their station in 3 minutes the whole station had was punished....

Ah the good ol' days

39 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

We actually had a contraption that looked like a cross between an octopus & a bong (but it was a water pump).

However, like WarTim said, we weren't allowed to ASK for water.ย  They'd stop us and let us have a water break when the coaches were good and tired.

Iโ€™m not that old. lol

ย 

But I do remember my actual HS fall camp being 4 days of three aย dayโ€™s and then one practice after for the rest.

ย 

Those 3 a dayโ€™s were tough and the night practice was nothing but conditioning. Donโ€™t know if yโ€™all remember the 3 man roll or weave, butย it would kick your butt and cause fights. Playersย wouldย give out quickย and instead of jumping over the rolling teammate and then rolling, theyโ€™d be jumping on each other. Was a beautiful workout when doneย right.ย 

Another favorite to start fights was the long distance Indian run. There was always oneย blow hardย that wanted to quickenย the pace andย screw the guy on the rear....Theย guy in the rear of a long ass line gets screwed because he has to catch up to Mr.high speed way in frontย and take the lead. ย lol

11 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

Iโ€™m not that old. lol

ย 

But I do remember my actual HS fall camp being 4 days of three aย dayโ€™s and then one practice after.ย 

ย 

Those 3 a dayโ€™s were tough and the night practice was nothing but conditioning. Donโ€™t know if yโ€™all remember the 3 man roll or weave, butย it would kick your butt and cause fights. Playersย wouldย give out quickย and instead of jumping over the rolling teammate and then rolling, theyโ€™d be jumping on each other. Was a beautiful workout when doneย right.ย 

Another favorite to start fights was the long distance Indian run. There was always oneย blow hardย that wanted to quickenย the pace andย screw the guy on the rear....Theย guy in the rear of a long ass line gets screwed because he has to catch up to Mr.high speed way in frontย and take the lead. ย lol

Oh, I remember exactly what you're talking about!!

Also, the Marathons, stadium steps and Up&Downs...

Most fights I remember we're started during Bull in the Ring...HA!

3 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

Also, the Marathons,

Does the Army SF have a football team that I donโ€™t know about? ย lolย 

4 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

Up&Downs

My nemesis. Most annoying workout ever.ย 

Archived