2019 Nip Watch

WarTim

Okay folks. Our Tigers begin prep for the opening game and the 2019 Season today. Thus it is time for the annual Nip Watch. Let us know when you experience the sights-sounds-smells-or whatever lets you know that The Nip is not far away!!! War Eagle !!!

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, WalkingCarpet said:

What's fall?

-Floridian

That's a short period in December we turn the a/c up to 78.

1 hour ago, grandpajay said:
1 hour ago, WalkingCarpet said:

What's fall?

-Floridian

That's a short period in December we turn the a/c up to 78.

In Sarasota, it ain't even December but February.  We call Feb-March "Florida Fall".  That's when our backyard and pool-cage is covered in leaves and you don't sweat just by walking outside.

Anyway, that said.... we're in Knoxville at the moment and it's still 90° but while in the pool a breeze kicked up as there's a storm in the distance and the water was warmer than the air.  Very nippy 😁😁.

Cut grass today. I had 2 leaves lying in the front yard today that had fallen off of the tree. It's a start. 

Wow. It just dawned on me. This is the 15th Year of the Nip Watch here. Time does March on ....mostly on my back and hip 😎

Niceville, FL,. On my dog walk tonite, spotted pine cone rib stripped clean by the squirrels. Multiples. This a tad early, should be around Labor Day. Certain sign of an early and cold winter, and thus, an early Nip.

The smell of pork ribs on the smoker at a cool 3:00PM getting ready for a nippy 7:00PM kickoff.

68 degrees in NW Alabama this morning.  Tomorrow is the beginning of year number 18 having the privilege of coaching high school football.  The smell of fresh cut grass and sweaty boys.  Nothing like it.  It’s almost here!!!

On 8/2/2019 at 8:57 AM, WarTim said:

Okay folks. Our Tigers begin prep for the opening game and the 2019 Season today. Thus it is time for the annual Nip Watch. Let us know when you experience the sights-sounds-smells-or whatever lets you know that The Nip is not far away!!! War Eagle !!!

I'm a newbie and almost afraid to ask but what is nip watch?

9 minutes ago, Tiger Sue said:

It's basically what WarTim said. The nip is when you start to feel Fall and football in the air. To some it's the cooler morning air. To others it's the HS band practicing.

Oh, and occasionally we get pictures too and some are as colorful as the turning leaves. :)

32 minutes ago, Tiger Sue said:

You can look under the Classics Forum and get the story. Oh, and welcome!!

17 minutes ago, mustache eagle said:

Moving child into Auburn today ... what’s more nippish than that!

Amen. Fond memories of moving our girls in. You’ll be watching her walk across the stage before you know it. Time flies. 

2 hours ago, gr82be said:

It's basically what WarTim said. The nip is when you start to feel Fall and football in the air. To some it's the cooler morning air. To others it's the HS band practicing.

Oh, and occasionally we get pictures too and some are as colorful as the turning leaves:)

I can only imagine😀

Cool breeze this morning on sun porch. Many leaves on the ground. Just saying...

Maybe these maple trees that surround my house know something we don’t. I know it is 95 degrees plus but the leaves are dropping at an Autumn rate. Hmmmmm. 

16 minutes ago, WarTim said:

Maybe these maple trees that surround my house know something we don’t. I know it is 95 degrees plus but the leaves are dropping at an Autumn rate. Hmmmmm. 

Mom & Dad live on Lookout Mtn in Ft. Payne and tell me it hasn't rained in forever.  Therefore their trees are dropping leaves like it's Fall.  So it must be a nippy 95° at least. 😎

Archived