Offensive Line

AUTiger2012

Im very disappointed in the progression of the oline.  I am sure that the guys at Tulane are good.  I am sure the guys at Oregon were good.  But we are lying to ourselves of we think either of those teams match up with LSU, bama, UGA, or even Florida's dl.  Either they have it or they don't.  And frankly Harrel called out Brandon Marcello last week and a week later he still sucks.  At some point it isn't scheme, it isn't coaching, its Jimmies and Joes.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It will not get any better.  The talent level on this OL is putrid.  Not even Div III level,and they are soft. SOFT.  And it will be worse next season.  And this is year 7 for the guy you think is intelligent. A fella with an IQ of 70 could do a better job than this.

It still pisses me off that Harrell had the nerve to critique Marcello for simply stating they played like dog.... during the first half of last game. These guys have been arguably the worst unit in the entire conference (relative to their talent, at least) for the better part of 15 games, how can you have the gall to do all that and then come out and get pushed around by a group of 5 nothing. "Hey coach can you run the ball more" If I was Gus I wouldve referenced that every drive tonight. just pathetic 

I don’t think it’s a Grimes problem as much as it’s a talent problem.  I think they’re playing to their ability which unfortunately isn’t great.

They didn’t do well but why in the world did Gus continue to run right at that huge guy Tulane had in the middle?  There was no way to move that dude he is strong as an ox!  The few time he pulled the guards around the corner to the right it was wide open.  

2 minutes ago, weagl1 said:

They didn’t do well but why in the world did Gus continue to run right at that huge guy Tulane had in the middle?  There was no way to move that dude he is strong as an ox!  The few time he pulled the guards around the corner to the right it was wide open.  

His football IQ is suspect. Seriously.

59 minutes ago, AUwent said:

Fire Grimes NOW. I'm sorry, I'm still not over a certain thread from this past offseason about how great he was.

Yep.  Rick Trickett was a pretty good coach once upon a time as well. 

How does a unit with that many starts look so unprepared?

4 minutes ago, murpjf88 said:

I'm hearing 2020 is going to be different. Be patient 

For the matter, 2021 might be better than 2020 ...

JB Grimes has made a living off Jeff Grime’s players at Auburn. The oline has been an issue since Gus was named HC. If you think it’s bad now wait till next year. Gus will leave us like Jimbo left FSU, no talent especially on the oline. To make it worse, the oline will take years to rebuild. The most important unit and foundation of a team is the oline, Gus apparently never understood this I suppose because in high school you could still win without placing a premium on the OL? 

1 minute ago, Never2Yield said:

For the matter, 2021 might be better than 2020 ...

But they'll still need to be coached, unless they're Juco's and somebody else is doing the coaching staff's job for them.

Most of the OL wouldn’t make the 2 deep rotation at many of the top level schools. Sadly, we basically play most of them not named Clemson or Oklahoma. 

1 minute ago, NoALtiger said:

Most of the OL wouldn’t make the 2 deep rotation at many of the top level schools. Sadly, we basically play most of them not named Clemson or Oklahoma. 

At this point, all we can do is play the hand we are dealt. Hope they get drastically better, and soon.

31 minutes ago, weagl1 said:

Yeah, but the next play is gonna work.

Just now, Tiger Refuge said:

Yeah, but the next play is gonna work.

Square peg, round hole.

Or whatever the saying is. Yeah what you said.

1 hour ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

It still pisses me off that Harrell had the nerve to critique Marcello for simply stating they played like dog.... during the first half of last game. These guys have been arguably the worst unit in the entire conference (relative to their talent, at least) for the better part of 15 games, how can you have the gall to do all that and then come out and get pushed around by a group of 5 nothing. "Hey coach can you run the ball more" If I was Gus I wouldve referenced that every drive tonight. just pathetic 

This. It’s embarrassing. 105 starts combined for this group. I mean yeah, maybe coaching is a big problem but ultimately it comes down to personnel. We ran the ball a little bit better in the second half tonight. Why? Because Tulane was tired. They don’t have the depth. They’re non Power 5. That’s not improved line play. 

Im quite disgusted with this. And if we don’t have anyone who can do any better then half of it falls on the coaches for not recruiting better players.

I am not defending the O-line as they did not play very well but it is a lot harder to block when th eother team knows what play you are going to run. RPO  and zone read is a Joke. It is supposed to be read the DE if he crashed down QB keeps and then runs or throws depending on what happens at next level. But in the Auburn Scheme it is QB give to RB even if DE is crashing down on him.  

Our the guys on the bench really that awful that they can’t do any better than some of these guys? Will have to rewatch the game but why not replace Horton with Hamm? At least worth a shot. Also want to see Brahms, he must be better after a whole offseason healthy with strength training. Pathetic effort. Yes Tulanes guys are not bad but no excuse for not being able to get push 

1 hour ago, 1716AU said:

A fella with an IQ of 70 could do a better job than this.

Ugh.... we have a lot of those hanging around. Send 1716 your resumes. ;)

Archived