Things I Think I Saw: AU vs Florida

JMR

2 minutes ago, auburnphan said:

how do you know this?

Some of the reporters Tweeted it out somewhere and it landed on Facebook.  That is the only way I find Tweets as I am not on Twitter.  I know augolf posted the video, but according to Momma Worm that is not the full story of what happened and I will side with her on this.

1 minute ago, abw0004 said:

Some of the reporters Tweeted it out somewhere and it landed on Facebook.  That is the only way I find Tweets as I am not on Twitter.  I know augolf posted the video, but according to Momma Worm that is not the full story of what happened and I will side with her on this.

thanks.  missed the posts on twitter and was wondering.  figured it had to be out there somewhere.

• Like 1

Just now, auburnphan said:

thanks.  missed the posts on twitter and was wondering.  figured it had to be out there somewhere.

I wish I remembered it, but when the game comes on I don't even look at my phone, much less remember a Tweet when I glanced.  It's one of the many crazy superstitions I have and unfortunately I messed up one of my superstitions and we lost.  :banghead:

• Like 1

The Worm thing probably makes me more angry than anything. How that kid wasn't given a chance Saturday- in a game where we ran for less than 4 yards a carry and didn't even notch 300 yards of total offense- it's just shocking. 16 yards rushing from Boobee and KMart in the first half. Sixteen. You're telling me Worm would have done worse? Man, it makes me mad and so disappointed for Worm. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

The Worm thing probably makes me more angry than anything. How that kid wasn't given a chance Saturday- in a game where we ran for less than 4 yards a carry and didn't even notch 300 yards of total offense- it's just shocking. 16 yards rushing from Boobee and KMart in the first half. Sixteen. You're telling me Worm would have done worse? Man, it makes me mad and so disappointed for Worm. 

Done worse...no. Done better....no too...as his track record so far has been no better, even against worse front lines. Some of that is on the OL, but Boobie has a better chance as he showed farther into the game, that he will eventually get those tough yards. 

DJ Williams i feel has the better RB ability to make yards..but like Gus likes to do, he has a weird way of deciding who plays RB during a game...:(

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

Done worse...no. Done better....no too...as his track record so far has been no better, even against worse front lines. Some of that is on the OL, but Boobie has a better chance as he showed farther into the game, that he will eventually get those tough yards. 

DJ Williams i feel has the better RB ability to make yards..but like Gus likes to do, he has a weird way of deciding who plays RB during a game...:(

Excellent point about DJ and I can't believe I keep forgetting him in this conversation.

I disagree about Worm, though. He hasn't had enough chances to show that he is capable of getting to the 2nd level. And if he does get to the 2nd level, then he's turning some of Boobee's nice gainers into touchdowns. Same for KMart for that matter. 

As for what Boobee did farther into the game, I suspect that UF started playing a little more conservatively to prevent deep shots, which opened up things underneath a little. It was really just the one drive and he wasn't getting particularly tough yards. The holes were there when they hadn't been all day. That's how I remember it, anyway. You couldn't pay me to re-watch that train wreck. 

44 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

If it was any other player there would be multiple people posting "oh thats not the Auburn way, blah blah", but because his mom said they called him short its now OK for Auburn players to punch other teams?  Personally, I don't mind it, I like the showing a little fire, but the double standards on this forum are funny. 

• Like 1
  • Dislike 2

6 minutes ago, atl-tiger said:

If it was any other player there would be multiple people posting "oh thats not the Auburn way, blah blah", but because his mom said they called him short its now OK for Auburn players to punch other teams?  Personally, I don't mind it, I like the showing a little fire, but the double standards on this forum are funny. 

To be clear his mother did not say they called him short.  She pointed out that they were on our side of the field and the person recording the video was someone who really did not like Shivers.  I believe it was the father of the player he is talking to and did not do anything to alleviate the situation, but just kept recording.

18 minutes ago, atl-tiger said:

That is a really bizarre conclusion.

Edited by McLoofus
  • Like 1

Some of you would be ok with us not retaliating if a team stomped on our logo pre-game it seems. Those UF dudes had no business being on our side of the field as it was. Worm did exactly what he needed to do there. You've either never played sports or soft if you think otherwise IMO. This sport does not reward you for being passive

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, Tiger said:

Some of you would be ok with us not retaliating if a team stomped on our logo pre-game it seems. Those UF dudes had no business being on our side of the field as it was. Worm did exactly what he needed to do there. You've either never played sports or soft if you think otherwise IMO. This sport does not reward you for being passive

I shouldn't be, but I'm a little shocked at some of these responses. It's really embarrassing. 

1 minute ago, McLoofus said:

I shouldn't be, but I'm a little shocked at some of these responses. It's really embarrassing. 

Same here bro. I can't follow the logic on a lot of the posts today

1 hour ago, Tiger said:

No, the problem is that Shivers initiated contact by grabbing the UF player's facemask. Doesn't matter where the players were on the field or what was being said, unless they grabbed you first, you don't act out like that. I love Shivers, I like his fire and his fearlessness to go at it alone against 3-4 other players but don't be the guy that starts it physically.

Just now, Linayus said:

No, the problem is that Shivers initiated contact by grabbing the UF player's facemask. Doesn't matter where the players were on the field or what was being said, unless they grabbed you first, you don't act out like that. I love Shivers, I like his fire and his fearlessness to go at it alone against 3-4 other players but don't be the guy that starts it physically.

So he should've have asked them politely to kindly venture back to their side of the field? Those guys didn't come over to our side bearing gifts. Not trying to sound snarky just trying to get my point across. They should not have been on our side of the field period IMO

We can agree to disagree

5 minutes ago, Linayus said:

Maybe the problem is that there were no other Auburn players there to get Worm's back. Maybe the problem is that we don't have more guys like him. 

9 minutes ago, Tiger said:

So he should've have asked them politely to kindly venture back to their side of the field? Those guys didn't come over to our side bearing gifts. Not trying to sound snarky just trying to get my point across. They should not have been on our side of the field period IMO

We can agree to disagree

6 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Maybe the problem is that there were no other Auburn players there to get Worm's back. Maybe the problem is that we don't have more guys like him. 

C'mon guys - I don't mind the smack talking or the retaliation - just don't be the first guy who gets physical with it. That's the only part I took issue with. He could've ignored them and kept his back to them. He could've walked away from them. He could've just run his mouth right back at them but he grabbed the face mask first. That puts him at fault. Doesn't matter if they were on "our side" of the field.

It's Florida - that kind of crap should've been expected. LSU and Georgia will probably try similar crap before the game. The players can't let it get to them like that.

36 minutes ago, Linayus said:

C'mon guys - I don't mind the smack talking or the retaliation - just don't be the first guy who gets physical with it. That's the only part I took issue with. He could've ignored them and kept his back to them. He could've walked away from them. He could've just run his mouth right back at them but he grabbed the face mask first. That puts him at fault. Doesn't matter if they were on "our side" of the field.

It's Florida - that kind of crap should've been expected. LSU and Georgia will probably try similar crap before the game. The players can't let it get to them like that.

Why do you care, though? What damage was caused? What were the terrible consequences of his actions? 

Like, I just don't see anything wrong with what he did at all. 

Why do you care, though? What damage was caused? What were the terrible consequences of his actions? 

Like, I just don't see anything wrong with what he did at all. 

Okay.. are you still going to be saying that if Gus comes out and says that Shivers has been suspended for his actions pregame? Or that he was suspended for the Florida game because of it? If so, that's an avoidable consequence.

Thank you coach and I agree with every point you made. My biggest disappointment is we are not in the first game or two. We are not in our first tough road game. We were not in our first tough SEC game . So why did all of these rookie mistake happen yesterday. Where was the Gus that made changes against TAM and against Oregon ? The one who brought Joey and Joiner of the bench in scoring territory. The one that used flash and Stove when he couldn’t pound it up the middle. Where were the slant passes? The defense made  mistakes but played a great game overall. This loss is on the offense and the offense only. And that offense is Gus’s offense win or lose and this week it lost big time..              But again you are correct on all your points. But to see Gus reverse the progress he had made does not bode well for the future.

4 minutes ago, Linayus said:

Okay.. are you still going to be saying that if Gus comes out and says that Shivers has been suspended for his actions pregame? Or that he was suspended for the Florida game because of it? If so, that's an avoidable consequence.

That isn't really an answer as to what you think is wrong with it. But yes, I would gladly ask Gus the same question if given the opportunity. Why would he care? Why would he punish a player for showing that kind of fire and passion? Why would he do anything but give that kid the first series of the game?

It would explain a lot about Gus and so many of his team's uninspired performances if that is the mindset he is incubating in our locker room. I  really hope it isn't. 

• Haha 1

That isn't really an answer as to what you think is wrong with it. But yes, I would gladly ask Gus the same question if given the opportunity. Why would he care? Why would he punish a player for showing that kind of fire and passion? Why would he do anything but give that kid the first series of the game?

It would explain a lot about Gus and so many of his team's uninspired performances if that is the mindset he is incubating in our locker room. I  really hope it isn't. 

Love ya 'Loof, but we're going to disagree with this mentality. lol I'm all for playing a fired up Shivers if he wasn't the guy that physically started the confrontation. If he does all of that in the game, he's ejected. That's basically 3 personal fouls on Shivers and one each for two Florida players. That's just not okay.

9 minutes ago, Linayus said:

Love ya 'Loof, but we're going to disagree with this mentality. lol I'm all for playing a fired up Shivers if he wasn't the guy that physically started the confrontation. If he does all of that in the game, he's ejected. That's basically 3 personal fouls on Shivers and one each for two Florida players. That's just not okay.

But he didn't do it during the game. He did it before the game.

So what was wrong with it? Love ya back, bro!

2 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

But he didn't do it during the game. He did it before the game.

So what was wrong with it? Love ya back, bro!

Not 100% sure, but I think he could've still been penalized and possibly ejected anyway. (Maybe @WarTiger can confirm/deny?)

You don't want your guy as the aggressor in these situations. If his temper is up and he throws punches - what is he going to do in the game, especially if your offense is struggling? I'm not saying I wouldn't have done the same as him in retaliation (you are fairly defenseless when someone can grab your face mask like that and that gets you fired up) but you started it by grabbing his first (however briefly).

9 hours ago, kevon67 said:

That someone was his mother, but you already knew that when you said someone.

For your information I said its more to the story, they captured what they wanted to capture.....so don't place words in my mouth. Im not Worm, so you wont come for me and think its gonna fly and next time @ me when you discuss me! To be honest, I really don't care what you think. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Linayus said:

Not 100% sure, but I think he could've still been penalized and possibly ejected anyway. (Maybe @WarTiger can confirm/deny?)

You don't want your guy as the aggressor in these situations. If his temper is up and he throws punches - what is he going to do in the game, especially if your offense is struggling? I'm not saying I wouldn't have done the same as him in retaliation (you are fairly defenseless when someone can grab your face mask like that and that gets you fired up) but you started it by grabbing his first (however briefly).

But now you're dealing in hypotheticals and assumptions and speculative if > then statements. 

Regardless, I want my guy to behave exactly as Shaun did in that situation. And I want the rest of my guys running over to get his back when it happens. More of that attitude on offense could've helped us win the game.