Who is Mike Marshall?

KnightTiger

Mike Marshall rubs me the wrong way for some reason.  He's spoken for years on Twitter as if he's an insider, but I never see him quoted anywhere else or appear as a guest on other talkshows/podcasts until very recently.  I get the feeling he's trolling often in order to build a follower count.  I get the feeling from him of "fake it til you make it."

I could have him pegged wrong, and I'll apologize if I do.

1 hour ago, Eagle Eye 7 said:

I want you to think for a minute. We presently have maybe the best or at least top 5 defense in the country. We have consistently improved each year under Steele . We lost all three of our starting LBs last year and still didn’t miss a beat . If you subtract the damage a poor offense does on their defense you would really understand what Steele And his defensive coaches have done here. I in no way want to lose that . That is already half the equation to a winning team . If you bring In Another coach he will want to bring in his own coaches and we will be in a total rebuild that will last 2 or 3 years at best. On the other hand you keep Steele and keep your defense intact and he will definitely go out and hire a very good OC to fix the offense. Maybe by next year we will actually be playing for something besides a non new year bowl. 

I don't think we'd get the same output from our defense if Steel becomes HC simply because he won't be able to focus as much time on it as he can if he's DC. Fair point about the defense requiring time to rebuild if we hire a HC and he doesn't retain CKS, but as someone else stated, why would anyone get rid of anyone in our defensive staff? The best thing that could happen would be a proven HC that keeps CKS as the DC.

I heard Rick Neuheisel (sp?) on Sirius radio back in the summer said that Cristobal wanted the Auburn job....I know some of the previous posts mention Coach Steele's head coaching record at Baylor, but Cristobal record at FIU wasn't good either; he was fired too...he's only been at Oregon for 2 seasons and by playing in the weak Pac-10, no wonder he has a winning record...plus along with the top QB in the country...I question his ability????

34 minutes ago, tigerman1186 said:

I heard Rick Neuheisel (sp?) on Sirius radio back in the summer said that Cristobal wanted the Auburn job....I know some of the previous posts mention Coach Steele's head coaching record at Baylor, but Cristobal record at FIU wasn't good either; he was fired too...he's only been at Oregon for 2 seasons and by playing in the weak Pac-10, no wonder he has a winning record...plus along with the top QB in the country...I question his ability????

Is this some sort of bizarre application of the transitive property of coaching?  

Cristobal turned out (or did he?) so Steele is a viable SEC coach?  Are you even f'n serious?

Dumping Gus for Steele would be the absolute most JABA thing Auburn has ever done. 

Are you people even reading what you're writing?!

MugatuCrazy.gif

Marshall is Auburn through & through but a slightly better than average writer, not extraordinarily original and IMHO historically a very mediocre investigative reporter. Maybe somebody dropped something in his lap? Hope hes not pulling a Thalmel.

10 hours ago, Win4AU said:

Maybe try to get Joe Brady away from LSU.  He could make Bo AUmazing.

This might be year one of an epic coaching career, but right now I'm not sure Brady has the resume to become Auburn's highest-ranking offensive coach.  

He has practically zero actual coaching experience.  Two seasons as an offensive assistant (not a position coach) in New Orleans, and this current season is the entirety of his meaningful work experience.  Plus, Brady is an absolute unknown as a recruiter, QB developer, career manager.

That said, I'm all for bringing in a coach with an NFL background.  I really like Kris Richard, but he would definitely be a head coach hire.

WDE!

7 hours ago, leglessdan said:

I may be alone in thinking this,  but it's not a foregone conclusion that a new coach wouldn't keep Steele and his staff regardless. Steele has become a National name while at Auburn.  It's been immensely satisfying to hear Steele's defense being the topic of discussion on why Auburn is considered a threat in these games. Idk, common sense says if your DC isn't even close to Steele's output,  he doesn't come with you. 

That said. I still say we make Cristobal tell us no before moving in any other direction. 

For what it's worth, this is Cristobal's first season working with his current DC.  Can't imagine there's any bond that couldn't be severed.

WDE!

They should ask a few guys but its probably easier to sell finding an elite offensive mind and just promoting Steele versus firing Gus and potentially bringing a new staff (I wouldnt be surprised if the Board forced whoever they considered to keep the defensive staff). 

6 hours ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

They should ask a few guys but its probably easier to sell finding an elite offensive mind and just promoting Steele versus firing Gus and potentially bringing a new staff (I wouldnt be surprised if the Board forced whoever they considered to keep the defensive staff). 

Wouldn't surprise me either. An action like that would mostly run off any potentially stellar coach we've discussed here. But...that's always been an issue of the meddling that goes on around here. I don't want to lose Steele,  but I also don't want to undermine a new coaches vision by dictating what pieces he needs to have in place to see that vision through.  Going internal and promoting Steele to HC sounds exactly like something Auburn would do.  I think it would work as a stopgap, but not as a long term thing.

Archived