Question about Softball Staff

Could someone tell me the duties/functions of the "Graduate Assistant".  I notice we have 3 listed.  I presume they have responsibilities at practices.  Do they receive compensation/benefits?  Just curious.

50 minutes ago, slot canyon said:

Could someone tell me the duties/functions of the "Graduate Assistant".  I notice we have 3 listed.  I presume they have responsibilities at practices.  Do they receive compensation/benefits?  Just curious.

Not sure of their responsibilities/duties, but I’m sure they at least get a stipend. I’m a graduate assistant in the Harbert College of Business, and I get a monthly stipend along with the university covering my tuition fees for grad school. 

• 4 weeks later...
2 hours ago, OlderWhiskey said:

Did I miss an announcement re Ruby Rojas?  She's no longer shown on the coaching staff.

Wow. That didn't last long, huh? I wonder if all this coronavirus downtime got her wishing she was back in California...and found another job closer to home?

I did not want to start any rumors but noticed about 3 weeks ago on her twitter account she no longer listed herself as assistant coach Auburn University so I wondered if something was brewing.  She has not indicated a new position at this point.  Don't know if financial restraints played any role in all this.  Too bad we could not have hired CJK when he departed UAB but I wonder if  CMD would have wanted him on the staff. 

7 hours ago, OlderWhiskey said:

Did I miss an announcement re Ruby Rojas?  She's no longer shown on the coaching staff.

No, but it’s been known for a while.

7 hours ago, 4WDE said:

This is disappointing. I was hoping she'd be a significant contributor, she had the credentials to do so.

10 hours ago, Mikey said:

This is disappointing. I was hoping she'd be a significant contributor, she had the credentials to do so.

Same here.

19 hours ago, 4WDE said:

Known, but not known 'why' she is no longer on the staff? Somebody knows....

6 hours ago, steeleagle said:

Known, but not known 'why' she is no longer on the staff? Somebody knows....

Well she spent many years on the  Left Coast and life in Alabama had to be a huge culture shock.   Away from family and friends, an opportunity to coach in a Power 5 conference may not have been worth it to her.   She may have planned on staying for only a year and the pandemic shortened it.  Hopefully an insider can enlighten us.

Spoke to Mark Murphy and he checked into and said she went back west to be with her family.  Also, said he hears her replacement is lined up already and should be announced sometime this summer.

I believe her marriage was fairly recent, maybe last few years and she has frequently put praises about her family on her twitter account.  I was wondering how she might hold up being so far from home.  Sorry to see her go.

34 minutes ago, slot canyon said:

I believe her marriage was fairly recent, maybe last few years and she has frequently put praises about her family on her twitter account.  I was wondering how she might hold up being so far from home.  Sorry to see her go.

Her LinkedIn account shows she left in May, so it has been a while, I guess, when she decided to leave.

Yes, she seemed like a gritty ex ball player who would have related well to the girls.

This virus has caused a lot of changes and redirections even for coaches who made moves so far from home. 

• 2 weeks later...

i still miss the old coach and still have nothing to say good about his son. a beautiful thing was ruined. i was watching a lot os womens softball. now i think we worse and  our current guy will not get it done. someone tell me i am wrong or give me some hope.......

2 hours ago, aubiefifty said:

i still miss the old coach and still have nothing to say good about his son. a beautiful thing was ruined. i was watching a lot os womens softball. now i think we worse and  our current guy will not get it done. someone tell me i am wrong or give me some hope.......

Suspect a lot of us feel somewhat the same.  We should be improved in pitching when ever we get to play again and I believe we have some hitting and fielding talent joining the team.  I would repeat what others have said that CMD inherited a troubled situation and then had a season where he lost his top pitcher (Martin).  No doubt good pitching means so much to your season and on paper we should have a good supply next go around.  To your initial point; it was so interesting that Myers basically inherited a team signed by prior coach and quickly made them competitive.  I attended some of his practices and they were very fast paced so that players had to think and react quickly.  Those were some fun teams to watch and I hope we will enjoy some of the same in the future.

• 3 weeks later...

https://auburntigers.com/news/2020/8/3/softball-talking-tigers-podcast-emily-carosone.aspx

Nice interview with Emily Carosone.  Enjoyed hearing about getting recruited by Coach Dees when she was not getting any interest at the time.  She seems well grounded and realistic.

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, saminbama said:

Saw where Ruby Rojas went back to her old job.  Interesting point in the article says she replaces the "interim" coach.  Like they may have expected her to come back?

https://justinsworldsb.com/2020/08/20/ruby-rojas-returns-to-mt-sac-as-head-coach/

This is just plain weird. First, I couldn't see why in the world she'd take an assistant's job at AU anyway. Her going back makes more sense than her ever coming here to begin with. Who knows?

47 minutes ago, Mikey said:

This is just plain weird. First, I couldn't see why in the world she'd take an assistant's job at AU anyway. Her going back makes more sense than her ever coming here to begin with. Who knows?

If i had to guess, I think she had maybe the only offer to coach at a big time Power 5 conference college softball program, and have a chance to later be a HC at another big time program. Then when the pandemic hit, she realized she missed home where her husband and her family are closer, and simply decided to take her old job back.

Hate to be the interim coach. He had gotten them to 18-1 and started the season w a 13 game winning streak. And now he's back as an assistant. 

Reading this news release from the Mt. SAC website almost sounds like a  sabbatical minus salary from Mt. SAC.  Reading her Twitter page from time to time she clearly had strong family ties and was only recently married. Was hard to imagine that she could be a long term staff member.   Is it possible that it worked out so she could fill in for a year until Emily was in place?  Pure speculation.  Also, having an interim HC sure made it convenient for MT. SAC. 

Softball Head Coach Ruby Rojas Returns Back To Mt. SAC

Posted: Aug 19, 2020

Walnut, CA) After spending one season with Southeastern Conference (SEC) powerhouse Auburn, Ruby Rojas returns back to Mt. SAC and will resume her role as Softball Head Coach and Professor of Kinesiology.

"I want to thank (Mt. SAC) President Scroggins and Director of Athletics Joe Jennum for allowing me to return and the opportunity to join the Auburn Softball Staff," replied Rojas.  It was an incredible opportunity to learn from legendary coaches Mickey Dean and Eugene Lenti.  I also want to express my grattitude to Alex Mascarenas, Jim Bollier, PJ Leon and Michelle Evans for leading the team and keeping the winning tradition going during my absence."

At Auburn, Rojas handled the Tigers defense and fielding during the COVID-19 shortened 2020 season.  She helped lead the team to a 16-11 overall record and a team fielding percentage of .954.  

"I would like to welcome Ruby back to the Mt. SAC Family," replied Mt. SAC Director of Athletics, Joe Jennum.  "The time she spent at Auburn has expanded her coaching/teaching knowledge and will enhance the experiences of her future students and the program."

Archived