247 2022 Mock Draft

12 hours ago, DAG said:

I do like Kedon. To me he has the highest upside of all these guys. I just can’t get over the Rattler love. I am assuming that is based on the track record of their ball coach

I think he’s the quintessential fairly high floor low ceiling guy. Dude pretty much is what he is at this point. I like Spencer, I’d say he at least looked better than Hurts 

16 hours ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

Idk man. Looks like a pretty pathetic list to my knowledge. JT Daniels a top 10 pick??? After being 3rd string behind a walk-on for UGA's putrid offense? George Pickens going before Justyn Ross? 

I think this list was made by someone who doesn't know wtf they're talking about.

Jordan Palmer seems to think Bo will go number 1 in the 2022 draft. 🤯🤯🤯. This leads me to believe the following.

1. The QB class of 22 is going to be historically bad.

2. Brian Harsin and Bobo are going to pull off the miracle of this decade.

3. Jordan Palmer is on some really good stuff.

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

Jordan Palmer seems to think Bo will go number 1 in the 2022 draft. 🤯🤯🤯. This leads me to believe the following.

1. The QB class of 22 is going to be historically bad.

2. Brian Harsin and Bobo are going to pull off the miracle of this decade.

3. Jordan Palmer is on some really good stuff.

Jordan Palmer job is to hype the people who pay for his services. Please see JS for example. 

• Like 2

Willis put up good stats against bad teams. He may prove me wrong but I don’t think he’s a NFL Qb.  Also as many have also stated, his lack of success at Auburn was self admittedly on him and not Gus.  Gus may have sucked at developing Qbs but if you don’t try you’re definitely not gonna get better.

4 minutes ago, Win4AU said:

Willis put up good stats against bad teams. He may prove me wrong but I don’t think he’s a NFL Qb.  Also as many have also stated, his lack of success at Auburn was self admittedly on him and not Gus.  Gus may have sucked at developing Qbs but if you don’t try you’re definitely not gonna get better.

It all depends on what the NFL thinks, but small school QBs that also put up stats on bad teams are starting to dominate the draft. People who talk about/do this stuff for a living understand level of competition and weigh their assessments accordingly. 

As for Willis's comments about his time here, I'd caution against taking them too literally or completely at face value. At every level of the sport, players and coaches put a lot of effort into not saying bad things about each other publicly. There are many exceptions, of course, but it is generally taboo to trash other people in the sport. 

Finally, even if there was some sort of dramatic change in his work ethic, one must ask why Freeze was able to properly motivate Willis whereas Gus was not. Particularly when, yes, Gus consistently failed to motivate and prepare his QBs. Was it really just a change of scenery and an extra year of maturity? Perhaps, but again, we are talking about dramatically different outcomes.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

It all depends on what the NFL thinks, but small school QBs that also put up stats on bad teams are starting to dominate the draft. People who talk about/do this stuff for a living understand level of competition and weigh their assessments accordingly. 

As for Willis's comments about his time here, I'd caution against taking them too literally or completely at face value. At every level of the sport, players and coaches put a lot of effort into not saying bad things about each other publicly. There are many exceptions, of course, but it is generally taboo to trash other people in the sport. 

Finally, even if there was some sort of dramatic change in his work ethic, one must ask why Freeze was able to properly motivate Willis whereas Gus was not. Particularly when, yes, Gus consistently failed to motivate and prepare his QBs. Was it really just a change of scenery and an extra year of maturity? Perhaps, but again, we are talking about dramatically different outcomes.

Yup, look at North Dakota St. 2 1st round (top 3 picks) qbs in last 5 years

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, gravejd said:

Man i remember being soooo frustrated watching Malik play. He was not allowed to pass and i'm pretty sure his option reads were not really reads at all. How a DI coach can think it is a good idea to not develop a back up QB is so far beyond my ability to understand i literally don't have a guess as to why he did that. Maybe he didn't want the starting QB to feel threatened about losing their job?? That doesn't make sense to me but it is a least a reason. Anyway....water under the bridge now. Glad we have moved on from that staff. And great for Malik that he found a place to thrive and is going to get a nice pay day. 

Beyond frustrating watching the bullcrap offense Gus forced our 2nd string QBs to run.  Why the hell can't our back ups get real experience running a real offense in a game.

Can't wait to see that change

52 minutes ago, Win4AU said:

See, I don't even think he put up that great of stats.  20/6 isn't that impressive.  Most QBs that dominate lower levels..Trey Lance was 48/0.  We'll see.

34 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

See, I don't even think he put up that great of stats.  20/6 isn't that impressive.  Most QBs that dominate lower levels..Trey Lance was 48/0.  We'll see.

I think a lot of it is due to the weak QB class and potential his numbers will get better. Based off last year , I would completely be in shock if he is a top 3 pick. 

• Like 1

MW threw for 2200 yds and 20 TDs, better than he ever would have done at AU, but someone is getting carried away here. I've seen much better QBs than MW go the free agent route. He's hardly first round talent in an even below average QB draft year, so this one must be some kinda awful. Good for MW if it happens.

Edited by boisnumber1
  • Facepalm 1

4 minutes ago, boisnumber1 said:

MW threw for 2200 yds and 20 TDs, better than he ever would have done at AU, but someone is getting carried away here. I've seen much better QBs than MW go the free agent route. He's hardly first round talent in an even below average QB draft year, so this one must be some kinda awful. Good for MW if it happens.

No offense, but have you even done any actual scouting on him?

First round at this point is a stretch and these early mocks are "projecting", but people who actually evaluate talent and look at film got a big hit of him last season. He is a plus if not plus-plus athlete at the position with a plus arm, and he was making legitimate NFL throws - including some HIGHLY impressive throws that pop off on film. The talent is real, and given further progression this season (no reason to expect anything else - Hugh Freeze actually knows offense and the QB position) he is absolutely a Top 3 round NFL prospect, with upside higher than that. 

You guys also need to drop the "stats" BS - they are like the absolute last thing that any actual scout looks at. I can't believe this needs to be repeated ad nauseum year after year after year.  Josh Allen went 7th overall after a season in which he completed 56.3% of his passes for a whopping 1,812 yards with 16 TD's and 6 INT's. People laughed at the Bills for making that pick. What his film ACTUALLY showed however was elite level talent and throws that literally only ~2-5 other players in the NFL can make. You just saw Jaylen Waddle go over DeVonta Smith. Hell, Anthony Schwartz went in the 3rd round after Gus' offense shoehorned him into an absolutely pathetic 11.8 yards per catch this past season, and 10.7 yards per catch last season. NFL teams scout TALENT and PROJECTION of said talent.

Here are a few reasons why people are rightfully very excited about Malik Willis with regards to NFL upside:

10 hours ago, Win4AU said:

Lol you guys trip me out with that.....what else is he going to say, and him saying he could've been better isn't him saying it's not on Gus or him saying he didn't try. It's him saying something like even though I knew Gus wasn't going to let me play I could've still been the adult he wasn't being......

• Like 1

9 hours ago, W.E.D said:

Trey Lance played for the power house in his division.......Willis played for liberty......then had to play a few teams much much better than them. And he performed against them

4 hours ago, metafour said:

No offense, but have you even done any actual scouting on him?

First round at this point is a stretch and these early mocks are "projecting", but people who actually evaluate talent and look at film got a big hit of him last season. He is a plus if not plus-plus athlete at the position with a plus arm, and he was making legitimate NFL throws - including some HIGHLY impressive throws that pop off on film. The talent is real, and given further progression this season (no reason to expect anything else - Hugh Freeze actually knows offense and the QB position) he is absolutely a Top 3 round NFL prospect, with upside higher than that. 

You guys also need to drop the "stats" BS - they are like the absolute last thing that any actual scout looks at. I can't believe this needs to be repeated ad nauseum year after year after year.  Josh Allen went 7th overall after a season in which he completed 56.3% of his passes for a whopping 1,812 yards with 16 TD's and 6 INT's. People laughed at the Bills for making that pick. What his film ACTUALLY showed however was elite level talent and throws that literally only ~2-5 other players in the NFL can make. You just saw Jaylen Waddle go over DeVonta Smith. Hell, Anthony Schwartz went in the 3rd round after Gus' offense shoehorned him into an absolutely pathetic 11.8 yards per catch this past season, and 10.7 yards per catch last season. NFL teams scout TALENT and PROJECTION of said talent.

Here are a few reasons why people are rightfully very excited about Malik Willis with regards to NFL upside:

Nothing shown here is NFL QB worthy. It is great athlete with a great arm making plays either on a scramble or a one read throw. If you want to promote Willis like this you've got to use the less exciting clips showing reads and progressions over flashy highlights. 

10 hours ago, AUGunsmith said:

Nothing shown here is NFL QB worthy. It is great athlete with a great arm making plays either on a scramble or a one read throw. If you want to promote Willis like this you've got to use the less exciting clips showing reads and progressions over flashy highlights. 

Please show all of those highlights of different QB's making incredible reads available on the internet

10 hours ago, AUGunsmith said:

The point of the clips was to show NATURAL TALENT. That first throw is absolutely absurd - spin move away from a defender on a rollout into a 40+ yard throw downfield to the sideline inbounds. The last throw is 45 yards on a rope to hit a receiver in stride, there is virtually no air put under that ball to get it to travel that distance. These are the things that NFL teams look for first and foremost - very few college offenses are going through more than one read or progression (look no further than Cam Newton - how many reads was he making in Gus Malzahn's offense? Zero?). But that wasn't even the point of my post - it was to show WHY Willis is showing up in these mock drafts. Note that I didn't even include any highlights of him running, which is another part of the equation entirely.

Since you asked for it, you can watch an actual film breakdown by former NFL QB J. T. O'Sullivan. He is very fair in showing his bad plays and mechanical breakdowns. Fun note, even he correctly pokes fun at us more than once during this video to ask wtf we were doing with letting this type of talent transfer away. 

• Like 4

MW shows great pocket awareness, moves well in the pocket and keeps his eyes down the field.  Doesn't look to just scramble, but is great at it when he does.  Has elite arm strength and slightly above average accuracy.  Is a natural leader and a great teammate.

recently saw Bo listed as the 50th best college quarterback next season.  I thought they were generous.

Every year man.....I really feel like if a convo was had as far as what NFL guys look for and what all goes into draft stuff k it could really really help.....

Between the homer love and rival hate seems like it's hard for some to grasp. Every year basketball and football.

I'm always game to explain the parts that I know.

On 5/7/2021 at 8:25 AM, Win4AU said:

They’re not just looking at stats though...in fact I figure it’s almost irrelevant in the grand scheme of things. He also put up some good stats on teams that were relatively good, btw

People still live in this antiquated delusion that QBs on the college level all need to operate in these insanely technical Patriots esque systems 

OU is about to put out 4 straight day 1 NFL QBs and they don’t follow that thought. Alabama just spammed PROs for 14 games or whatever. A guy that can run a damn near 4.3 and throw it maybe 75 yards IS a modern NFL QB

1 hour ago, cole256 said:

I'm always game to explain the parts that I know.

Let me know when you run out of material. 😁

• Facepalm 1

On 5/7/2021 at 9:54 AM, DAG said:

I think a lot of it is due to the weak QB class and potential his numbers will get better. Based off last year , I would completely be in shock if he is a top 3 pick. 

Top 3? Unless the QB group is so weak, he will be a late 2nd or even 3rd round pick. No way he is a 1st round guy....

Who does Auburn have that could be drafted next year?

QB - if the class is weak and Bo has a good year does he go?

RB - Worm?

TE&WR - too young

OL - will Hamm, Council, or anyone else get a look?

Dline - Most the top talent are young

LB - Will McClain or Pappoe be good enough to jump early?  Wooten?

DBs - McCreary is definitely good enough, Smoke?  Feel like I’m missing someone

ST - I think Anders is a senior.  He’ll be on an NFL team but maybe not drafted.

Who did I miss?

1 hour ago, steeleagle said:

Top 3? Unless the QB group is so weak, he will be a late 2nd or even 3rd round pick. No way he is a 1st round guy....

Well the two articles referenced on the first page has him being drafted in round 1. One even has him as the the #1 QB.