Basketball redshirt

TexasTiger

https://www.si.com/college/tmg/mark-blaudschun/college-basketball-redshirt

This article from last year makes it sound like they cannot play in any games but they were looking at allowing players to play in 6-8 without losing a year of eligibility. I did not find where that has been enacted yet. Not much help but maybe a little.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Grumps said:

This article from last year makes it sound like they cannot play in any games but they were looking at allowing players to play in 6-8 without losing a year of eligibility. I did not find where that has been enacted yet. Not much help but maybe a little.

Thanks. Seems strange football allows 4 games and basketball none.

1 hour ago, Grumps said:

Stretch has played in 5 non-conference games and hasn’t played since. Looks like Bruce might be anticipating this passing since it aligns with anticipated rules. Assuming Cardwell starts next year (if Kessler goes pro) having Stretch available for the 10 minutes he averaged last year might be helpful. I’m assuming he will have improved at least a bit from playing with Kessler.

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/player/gamelog/_/id/4431873/babatunde-akingbola

11 hours ago, TexasTiger said:

Stretch has played in 5 non-conference games and hasn’t played since. Looks like Bruce might be anticipating this passing since it aligns with anticipated rules. Assuming Cardwell starts next year (if Kessler goes pro) having Stretch available for the 10 minutes he averaged last year might be helpful. I’m assuming he will have improved at least a bit from playing with Kessler.

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/player/gamelog/_/id/4431873/babatunde-akingbola

Who is stretch 

13 minutes ago, TAYLORKEETON said:

Who is stretch 

Babatunde Akingbola. He is a backup center. He is a Junior this season. Played sparingly his first 2 seasons. Hasn't seen much time this year with Kessler coming in. 

30 minutes ago, gravejd said:

Babatunde Akingbola. He is a backup center. He is a Junior this season. Played sparingly his first 2 seasons. Hasn't seen much time this year with Kessler coming in. 

Always seen stretch mentioned but was not sure who it was. Thank you

• Like 1

I wondered about Stretch...dude hasn't seen ANY playing time this year. Chris Moore's playing time has decreased a lot also lately....hasn't played in a couple of games.

2 hours ago, GTNupe11 said:

I wondered about Stretch...dude hasn't seen ANY playing time this year. Chris Moore's playing time has decreased a lot also lately....hasn't played in a couple of games.

PEarl has his set lineup now. Unless foul trouble coms early, this is who we are going to see from now on.

With Cardwell and Kessler, there is no need for Stretch.  Same goes for Moore, w/ PEarl giving Flan most of the minutes ow, and Cambridge time too. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

PEarl has his set lineup now. Unless foul trouble coms early, this is who we are going to see from now on.

With Cardwell and Kessler, there is no need for Stretch.  Same goes for Moore, w/ PEarl giving Flan most of the minutes ow, and Cambridge time too. 

I agree there’s no need this year. Next year, it looks like Cardwell is likely our man, unless Kessler comes back to raise his stock. At that point, Stretch may go back to the 10-11 minutes he played last year. And hopefully more developed.

1 hour ago, TexasTiger said:

I agree there’s no need this year. Next year, it looks like Cardwell is likely our man, unless Kessler comes back to raise his stock. At that point, Stretch may go back to the 10-11 minutes he played last year. And hopefully more developed.

We could likely bring in a more polished player as well. Bruce isn’t gonna rely on Stretch IMO. The bar has been raised too high now. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, NoALtiger said:

We could likely bring in a more polished player as well. Bruce isn’t gonna rely on Stretch IMO. The bar has been raised too high now. 

I agree about stretch now Moore has been losing time since Flanigan has returned but when called on has played well. I hope he comes back next year as I believe he will be a big asset with Flanigan gone to NBA. In the past we also played Williams at Center but with Jabari going pro he will probably be playing a lot of 4 so don't see him being a regular 5 backup.

So hard to even wrap your head around what the team will look like year to year anymore. There are just so many options between NBA, G-league, transfer portal, or claiming an extra year. I mean I think it’s possible we only lose Jabari. Or we could lose Jabari, Flan, Kessler, Zep, and KD. That’s a lot of uncertainty for a roster. How Pearl plans for this I’ll never know. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, NoALtiger said:

I’m sure he’ll try. Good, athletic bigs are rare. Again, I’m just talking about his role as a backup.

With NIL money now available, I'm wondering if those who follow this kind of thing have any sense that players who are not considered a "sure thing" in the NBA will be more likely to stay in college another year? Take Kessler, for ex. To my non-expert eyes it appears he needs to add size & strength for the NBA. Might he be more likely to choose to work on that at Auburn & enjoy another year of playing in front of the Jungle since he can make NIL money? Barkley has long been an advocate for those players staying in college another year. I not only hope that's the case for Auburn basketball, I also think there are some things about the college experience that you won't encounter anywhere else, like the atmosphere in the Arena last Saturday or getting to do the "Crimson Crain" in Coleman Coliseum last week. If NIL money allows kids to make money AND have more of those experiences, I'd consider that a win for everybody involved.

On 1/24/2022 at 1:28 PM, TexasTiger said:

I can see CArdwell in there if Kessler goes, but he will not be there for offense. We will need a PF scorer to complement him. So far CArdwell may have offensive moves, but I haven't seen him use it, so I think he's tentative.