Recruiting Insider: Keith Niebuhr

toddc

Recruiting Insider: Behind the scenes intel and prospects to know

ByKEITH NIEBUHR 5 hours ago

Junior Rosegreen talks about the Auburn Tigers

junio-pic.png

Off-the-field program hires don’t typically grab the attention of college football fanbases, but as staffs expand and recruiting operations become more multi-layered the importance of the people who fill these positions grows each year.

Take Auburn’s hiring of Steven Ruzic, formerly of N. Carolina, as Dir. of Player Personnel in January.

While it didn’t get much fanfare at the time, a month later it seems to already be having a significant impact according to multiple sources (including recruits) with knowledge of either Ruzic, or the Tigers’ inner workings.

Here’s how …

We’re told Ruzic is plugged in all over but especially in the ultra-important state of Georgia. He knows the lay of the land there, from Macon south to Valdosta and from Albany east to Brunswick. For Auburn, this is crucial with Mike Bobo, the Tigers’ offensive coordinator last season, and Nick Eason, Auburn’s defensive line coach in 2021, no longer on staff. Both of them were raised in the region we just described and had plenty of local knowledge there. Especially Bobo.

Enter Ruzic, who grew up in Warner Robins — where his father coached for 20-plus years at the high school level — and has connections in consistent prospect-producing communities such as Valdosta and Moultrie. But when it comes to the Peach State, Ruzic also has ties to more than a few coaches in the metro-Atlanta area, too. And not just at the high schools. He’s also, sources said, plugged in with those who coach on the 7-on-7 circuits. Both of these things are invaluable in recruiting.

Then, there’s this: Having grown up in a coach’s family, he is said to understand the daily demands high school coaches face and thus connects well with them because he speaks their language and is extremely relatable. The who know Ruzic tell us building relationships is his forte. These traits also should serve him well outside of Georgia in Auburn’s other bread-and-butter states — Alabama and Florida.

At Auburn, we are told, Ruzic and Dir. of Recruiting Darren Uscher has meshed well. Intel suggests Ruzic has great respect for the role Uscher (whom one source said works as hard as anyone in college football) has played at Auburn in terms of building the structure and organization of the department in a way that fits the vision of head coach Bryan Harsin. In Year 1, Uscher had an extremely high amount of duties on his plate. Now, he has more help as Auburn has beefed up its recruiting staff.

Now it’s up to Ruzic to hunt for players that fit the Harsin mold. Together, Uscher and Ruzic help construct Auburn’s recruiting plan.

For Ruzic, that means identifying prospects and using his relationships to get Auburn’s foot in the door once evaluations are made and offers are given. His role is a vital one for a program that wants to take the next step in recruiting.

Ruzic is just one member of an off-the-field staff that has many valuable contributors, but he's an important one at that.

Also of note ….

-There’s a feeling at Auburn the Tigers are trending in the right direction for three key offensive line targets — tackles Wilkin Formbyof Tuscaloosa (Ala.) Northridge and Stanton Ramil of Alabaster (Ala.) Thompson and guard Clay Wedin of Tampa (Fla.) Carrollwood Day.Here are two other players of note Auburn thinks it is very much in the hunt for right now: 4-star defensive end Keldric Faulk of Highland Home (Ala.) and 4-star edge Jaquavious Russaw of Montgomery (Ala.) Carver. Each of these players is expected to visit the Tigers in either March or April. Some may make multiple trips to campus.

-Auburn’s next big prospect day is March 19, but several recruits will visit before then. Among the names we’ve heard who could be on campus prior to March 19: Four-star running back Jeremiah Cobb of Montgomery Catholic (Ala.), 4-star corner Kayin Lee of Ellenwood (Ga.) Cedar Grove and 3-star (and recently offered) safety Bryce Thornton of Milton (Ga.).

-Yes, Auburn now has offered profilects in 28 states plus the District of Columbia, but we are told the primary Auburn footprint hasn’t changed. It still includes Alabama (24 offers in the 2023 class), Georgia (30) and Florida (48).

-There is a feeling at Auburn HQ the Tigers have a chance to “crush it” in Georgia this cycle. The feedback from targets in that state has been overwhelmingly positive to the staff. Make no mistake, the Tigers know the success of the Auburn program has always corresponded with how well they have recruited in Georgia.

17COMMENTS

-This may sound like a given, but looking at Auburn’s depth chart it’s pretty obvious the Tigers will sign at least four offensive linemen in the 2023 class — and honestly, probably more than that.

-After spending some time with 5-star back Richard Young of Lehigh Acres (Fla.) Lehigh and people close to him last weekend in Miami, I did not get an Auburn vibe. At best, this feels like a long shot. Interestingly, one person noted if former Auburn offensive coordinator Chad Morris was still at Auburn, Young probably would be a Tigers lean right now. Morris, of course, signed Young’s former teammate, receiver Tar'varish Dawson, while he was at Auburn, and has a lot of cred in that region dating back to his stint coaching at Clemson.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

6 minutes ago, toddc said:

Recruiting Insider: Behind the scenes intel and prospects to know

ByKEITH NIEBUHR 5 hours ago

Junior Rosegreen talks about the Auburn Tigers

junio-pic.png

Off-the-field program hires don’t typically grab the attention of college football fanbases, but as staffs expand and recruiting operations become more multi-layered the importance of the people who fill these positions grows each year.

Take Auburn’s hiring of Steven Ruzic, formerly of N. Carolina, as Dir. of Player Personnel in January.

While it didn’t get much fanfare at the time, a month later it seems to already be having a significant impact according to multiple sources (including recruits) with knowledge of either Ruzic, or the Tigers’ inner workings.

Here’s how …

We’re told Ruzic is plugged in all over but especially in the ultra-important state of Georgia. He knows the lay of the land there, from Macon south to Valdosta and from Albany east to Brunswick. For Auburn, this is crucial with Mike Bobo, the Tigers’ offensive coordinator last season, and Nick Eason, Auburn’s defensive line coach in 2021, no longer on staff. Both of them were raised in the region we just described and had plenty of local knowledge there. Especially Bobo.

Enter Ruzic, who grew up in Warner Robins — where his father coached for 20-plus years at the high school level — and has connections in consistent prospect-producing communities such as Valdosta and Moultrie. But when it comes to the Peach State, Ruzic also has ties to more than a few coaches in the metro-Atlanta area, too. And not just at the high schools. He’s also, sources said, plugged in with those who coach on the 7-on-7 circuits. Both of these things are invaluable in recruiting.

Then, there’s this: Having grown up in a coach’s family, he is said to understand the daily demands high school coaches face and thus connects well with them because he speaks their language and is extremely relatable. The who know Ruzic tell us building relationships is his forte. These traits also should serve him well outside of Georgia in Auburn’s other bread-and-butter states — Alabama and Florida.

At Auburn, we are told, Ruzic and Dir. of Recruiting Darren Uscher has meshed well. Intel suggests Ruzic has great respect for the role Uscher (whom one source said works as hard as anyone in college football) has played at Auburn in terms of building the structure and organization of the department in a way that fits the vision of head coach Bryan Harsin. In Year 1, Uscher had an extremely high amount of duties on his plate. Now, he has more help as Auburn has beefed up its recruiting staff.

Now it’s up to Ruzic to hunt for players that fit the Harsin mold. Together, Uscher and Ruzic help construct Auburn’s recruiting plan.

For Ruzic, that means identifying prospects and using his relationships to get Auburn’s foot in the door once evaluations are made and offers are given. His role is a vital one for a program that wants to take the next step in recruiting.

Ruzic is just one member of an off-the-field staff that has many valuable contributors, but he's an important one at that.

Also of note ….

-There’s a feeling at Auburn the Tigers are trending in the right direction for three key offensive line targets — tackles Wilkin Formbyof Tuscaloosa (Ala.) Northridge and Stanton Ramil of Alabaster (Ala.) Thompson and guard Clay Wedin of Tampa (Fla.) Carrollwood Day.Here are two other players of note Auburn thinks it is very much in the hunt for right now: 4-star defensive end Keldric Faulk of Highland Home (Ala.) and 4-star edge Jaquavious Russaw of Montgomery (Ala.) Carver. Each of these players is expected to visit the Tigers in either March or April. Some may make multiple trips to campus.

-Auburn’s next big prospect day is March 19, but several recruits will visit before then. Among the names we’ve heard who could be on campus prior to March 19: Four-star running back Jeremiah Cobb of Montgomery Catholic (Ala.), 4-star corner Kayin Lee of Ellenwood (Ga.) Cedar Grove and 3-star (and recently offered) safety Bryce Thornton of Milton (Ga.).

-Yes, Auburn now has offered profilects in 28 states plus the District of Columbia, but we are told the primary Auburn footprint hasn’t changed. It still includes Alabama (24 offers in the 2023 class), Georgia (30) and Florida (48).

-There is a feeling at Auburn HQ the Tigers have a chance to “crush it” in Georgia this cycle. The feedback from targets in that state has been overwhelmingly positive to the staff. Make no mistake, the Tigers know the success of the Auburn program has always corresponded with how well they have recruited in Georgia.

17COMMENTS

-This may sound like a given, but looking at Auburn’s depth chart it’s pretty obvious the Tigers will sign at least four offensive linemen in the 2023 class — and honestly, probably more than that.

-After spending some time with 5-star back Richard Young of Lehigh Acres (Fla.) Lehigh and people close to him last weekend in Miami, I did not get an Auburn vibe. At best, this feels like a long shot. Interestingly, one person noted if former Auburn offensive coordinator Chad Morris was still at Auburn, Young probably would be a Tigers lean right now. Morris, of course, signed Young’s former teammate, receiver Tar'varish Dawson, while he was at Auburn, and has a lot of cred in that region dating back to his stint coaching at Clemson.

Intriguing

• Like 1

The last week or so the recruiting sites have been overly positive. Arguably sunshine pumping. JLee, Jhead, and Pink's podcast named like 10 dudes they think we're currently in the lead or very close to it for. As this article says very heavy Atlanta

The biggest news for me was the Ruzic hire and it seems to be a “touchdown hire “!!

• Like 3

This may sound like a given, but looking at Auburn’s depth chart it’s pretty obvious the Tigers will sign at least four offensive linemen in the 2023 class

No, no.  That is not even close to a given.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, JerryAU said:

Well, we need one right now that's for sure.

After that article last week laid out the Harsin recruiting over the last 14 months where he hasn't even stepped foot in the doors of many of this states top high schools (Thompson HS) and hasn't met the coaches or some highly talented players, I have my doubts about exactly what CBH's recruiting plan is and what kind of "fit" he's looking for in a prospect.  

I love it when there’s great news and posters go full blown negative, don’t you?

• Like 3

58 minutes ago, toddc said:

I love it when there’s great news and posters go full blown negative, don’t you?

I'll get out of your thread todd, no problem. 😎

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, JerryAU said:

I'll get out of your thread todd, no problem. 😎

You do you man, it’s all good 😊 

That is some very welcomed and positive information. We need to have the same sort of quality in the NIL area to go with it. Even the greatest recruiter in the world before, won't be as effective now, if he doesn't have a competitive NIL program too.  We have made improvements in that area and need to keep at it. The reality is, it's a new landscape out there. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, au302 said:

The last week or so the recruiting sites have been overly positive. Arguably sunshine pumping. JLee, Jhead, and Pink's podcast named like 10 dudes they think we're currently in the lead or very close to it for. As this article says very heavy Atlanta

JLee also said if Will Friend doesn't go to Georgia as OL coach, Bo Hughley would flip to AU. Well Friend ain't going to GA, so come on down Bo.

• Like 4

49 minutes ago, NWALA Tiger said:

JLee also said if Will Friend doesn't go to Georgia as OL coach, Bo Hughley would flip to AU. Well Friend ain't going to GA, so come on down Bo.

That would be something

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, NWALA Tiger said:

I'll take him, Fromby, and Ramil as our 3 OT's right now and call it a day, lol. OG Wedin and add another OG and Joiner at C and that would be the best OL class we've had in forever. Damn, I'll keep dreaming

I think some things are starting to cook on the Plains. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, autigeremt said:

I think some things are starting to cook on the Plains. 

I sense that CBH seems to be listening and trying to learn from his previous stumbles and miscues...which is nice.

• Like 3
  • Love 1

7 minutes ago, bigbird said:

It sense that CBH seems to be listening and trying to learn from his previous stumbles and miscues...which is nice.

Obviously that could be the best thing for us.  We know he has the coaching acumen, but if he can be a quick learner for the game of SEC recruiting watch out. 

• Like 3

Along the lines of recruiting, it's nice to read something encouraging instead of, OK passengers, if we could move to the lifeboats in an orderly fashion.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I love seeing some of the more positive posts. Most know I am a bit of a sunshine pumper. That said I need to see these people on campus and after visit have recruiting sources still have a positive vibe. Even better get a few early commitments to get momentum going especially OT types. I want to be positive and I was until the way the Brian Harsin debacle occurred.  I understand that Harsin may have had a learning curve to understand SEC recruiting but what happened to him has made it twice as hard. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Chaotic_zx said:

All of this positivity

whats-going-on-the-office.gifwhat-is-this-whats-happening.giffriends-chandler.gif

Good grief, what is going on?Can’t believe what I’m reading. Maybe I will continue reading this forum after all!! Love some non-negativity!

According to Keith Neibuhr, here are 5 prospects Auburn feels are trending their way right now

renderTimingPixel.png

Currently administering a midterm for my Human Physiology students, so got free time today to make posts like this, lol. Here are the 247 profiles for those 5 players:

4* Edge Jaquavious Russaw

4* DL Keldric Faulk

4* OT Wilkin Formby

4* OG Clay Wedin

3* OT Stanton Ramil

Niebuhr went on to say that Auburn feels like it might crush it in Georgia this cycle, and that there has been a ton of positive feedback from recruits in that state. Damari Alston seems to share that belief.

Source.

Edit: Just realized another post here links to that article, but I figure I'll leave this up for folks who just want to see the players listed instead of clicking the link. It is a free article, though, with a ton more information in it.

Edit 2: As a bonus, Duke is reporting that 4* DB Terrance Love is considered a heavy Auburn lean.

12 comments

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, W.E.D said:

No, no.  That is not even close to a given.

Could you clarify? Do you mean it isn't a given we'll get at least four OL commits?

1 hour ago, Tiger1992 said:

Could you clarify? Do you mean it isn't a given we'll get at least four OL commits?

We've heard for how many years we need to/will take 4-5 OL?  I'll believe it when I see it and it's not a "given".  Hell, we were going to take 3-4 in the winter portal class a few short 60 days ago and got 0.

I've said it a few times, Harsin did a lot of work on the '23 class during the '22 recruiting class year.  I hope it pays off for us.

• Like 1