All Things Fall Camp Thread

toddc

He’s not wrong!

BMatt’s Monday musings

1660739544194-9441.jpg

AUBURN | Whether it’s announced today, tomorrow or later this week, the decision on Auburn's starting quarterback is coming and T.J. Finley is the front-runner.

I think the young man, still just 20 years old, deserves a heck of a lot of credit if he does indeed win the job.

Nobody, OK almost nobody, expected Finley to be the man going into camp. He went 0-3 as a starter last fall and Auburn’s second-year staff brought in two Power 5 transfers to compete with him.

Finley is expected to be named Auburn's starting quarterback this week.
Finley is expected to be named Auburn's starting quarterback this week. (Robin Conn/AuburnSports.com)

Zach Calzada was the overwhelming pre-camp favorite. Robby Ashford was the wildcard with dual-threat ability.

Finley could be days away from beating them both.

That says a lot to me about Finley’s character, maturity and mental toughness. He’ll need all three and more to make it through this season, but that’s for another column or two or more.

For now, it’s about a young man that has proven a lot of people wrong (including me) to get to this point.

He’s got a coaching staff and big group of players that believe in him. He has a strong knowledge of the offense. He has confidence in himself and his teammates.

The one thing he could really use in 12 more days is the full backing of the 80,000 or so fans that fill up Jordan-Hare Stadium.

Whether you’re already on board the T.J. express or never wanted to see him on the field again, if he earns this opportunity, he deserves support.

If he’s the man to lead this offense to begin the season, why not recognize his hard work and sacrifice to get here.

Everybody loves a story of redemption. Allow T.J. to compose his own.

Robby Ashford certainly deserves a lot of praise too. By all accounts, he's pushing Finley and is firmly in second place in the competition.

This from a transfer that probably played more baseball than football over the past two years at Oregon.

In fact, if this decision stretches longer, it's because of Ashford and the way he's come on at the end of camp.

His running prowess could give Auburn's offense the big-play ability it needs by opening up more space for Tank Bigsby and giving receivers more time to get open, not to mention what Ashford is capable of doing on his own.

These are quarterbacks with two different skill sets, which will require two offenses tailored to their abilities. That makes it a little tougher to toggle between the two early in the season, but could make AU's offense even tougher to defend as we move into late September and early October.

At the very least, Ashford's running ability should allow him to see the field early with his own offensive package of plays.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

Until Harsin gives me reason to distrust his QB evaluation I'm on board with whoever wins the job. Sounds like TJ is gonna be the man I'm excited to see what kind of steps he's taken this off season

• Like 7

I think it speaks volumes that under Harsin, TJ has improved so much in such a short time.  I’m excited to see TJ slice up SEC defenses this year.  

• Like 4

On 8/20/2022 at 8:14 PM, bigbird said:

...Bryan Harsin called him "one of the best throwers I've coached"

shaq-shimmy.gif 

And it's up to Harsin to mold him into a pitcher

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, SumterAubie said:

And it's up to Harsin to mold him into a pitcher

Wrong sport ole man. sheesh, he's losing it guys

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Tiger said:

Until Harsin gives me reason to distrust his QB evaluation I'm on board with whoever wins the job. Sounds like TJ is gonna be the man I'm excited to see what kind of steps he's taken this off season

He has done so for me. Said he never considered taking Bo out of the aTm game last year.  

• Facepalm 1
  • Dislike 1

3 hours ago, keesler said:

I think it speaks volumes that under Harsin, TJ has improved so much in such a short time.  I’m excited to see TJ slice up SEC defenses this year.  

I hope you're correct, but I don't view this QB competition the same way. I view it more as Calzada did not do what was needed to be done, versus TJ playing lights out and fending off his charge. That's not to say TJ hasn't improved, but Hoke did report that he's thrown the most picks in fall camp, so...

• Like 1
  • Dislike 1

8 hours ago, au302 said:

I hope you're correct, but I don't view this QB competition the same way. I view it more as Calzada did not do what was needed to be done, versus TJ playing lights out and fending off his charge. That's not to say TJ hasn't improved, but Hoke did report that he's thrown the most picks in fall camp, so...

I agree with this. I’d love nothing more than for TJ to have turned a 180, but I think the staff expected Calzada to be in a different spot and TJ is what we got at this point. I am just hoping to see a more efficient version of TJ this year, but I’d be willing to bet that the QB play this year is probably going to be less impressive than last year. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

I agree with this. I’d love nothing more than for TJ to have turned a 180, but I think the staff expected Calzada to be in a different spot and TJ is what we got at this point. I am just hoping to see a more efficient version of TJ this year, but I’d be willing to bet that the QB play this year is probably going to be less impressive than last year. 

Hard to be less impressive than 0-3 as a starter but I agree with you. He did have the one drive to save the GA St game, the high point of the year. We all know what we have with TJ. Fall camp with little pressure and no contact will not hone the point of TJs spear. I hope I am wrong but until we see evidence my prognosis is unchanged. We have talent in Ashford and Geriner. Calzada is another castoff that I did not think would win the starting job.

Hard to forget the last 3 games and how bad we were on offense. Yeah we played a great bama team for one of those games but no way USCe or Houston should be have been that effective at shutting our offense down. Fair to look at things now and expect a looooong season ahead. 

But i think its also reasonable to expect TJ and the whole team to have made big strides over the offseason. While we have a new OC i imagine a lot of what we are doing is the same as last season. TJ is a year older and at the college level it really can't be understated how much a year can change things.  Hopefully the new OC and HC are on the same page now so perhaps that by itself will results in a better offense. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, gravejd said:

Hard to forget the last 3 games and how bad we were on offense. Yeah we played a great bama team for one of those games but no way USCe or Houston should be have been that effective at shutting our offense down. Fair to look at things now and expect a looooong season ahead. 

But i think its also reasonable to expect TJ and the whole team to have made big strides over the offseason. While we have a new OC i imagine a lot of what we are doing is the same as last season. TJ is a year older and at the college level it really can't be understated how much a year can change things.  Hopefully the new OC and HC are on the same page now so perhaps that by itself will results in a better offense. 

Realistically TJ was no where 100% last year in the Houston game and the WRs were no downfield threat in the passing game

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, JMassie11 said:

Realistically TJ was no where 100% last year in the Houston game and the WRs were no downfield threat in the passing game

I hope everything is in place now so that can put together an effective offense with TJ.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, JMassie11 said:

Dawson, JJ, and MJJ all had men beat downfield in that game and were overshot all three times. Maybe they don't catch them, but they had several steps on their man, and if TJ hits just one of them we probably win that game.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, au302 said:

Dawson, JJ, and MJJ all had men beat downfield in that game and were overshot all three times. Maybe they don't catch them, but they had several steps on their man, and if TJ hits just one of them we probably win that game.

Again TJ was far from healthy. Had he been able to stand there and have 3-4 seconds to throw it would have been a different story but as we all know that was not the case.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, JMassie11 said:

Again TJ was far from healthy. Had he been able to stand there and have 3-4 seconds to throw it would have been a different story but as we all know that was not the case.

We'd have to go re-watch the plays. But look, I like TJ personally and appreciate him gutting that game out. Just pointing out that executing on deep balls was a tremendous weakness for him last year, and it's not fair to the receivers since they were open on multiple occasions. 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, au302 said:

We'd have to go re-watch the plays. But look, I like TJ personally and appreciate him gutting that game out. Just pointing out that executing on deep balls was a tremendous weakness for him last year, and it's not fair to the receivers since they were open on multiple occasions. 

Its hard for me to explain what I see with TJ. But last years TJ and LSU TJ just looks like a guy that isnt playing with a lot of urgency. Its almost like hes just going through the motions of the play and if a sack's coming he just takes it instead of trying to sidestep a guy or just tuck it and run. Its almost like he's saying to himself, oh well we'll get'em next time. Of course I can't know what he's thinking but his body language and play tells me that.

I hope he has progressed and the game slows down for him while at the same time he shows some urgency and a desire to win beyond thoughts and words. 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, AU80cruiser said:

Its hard for me to explain what I see with TJ. But last years TJ and LSU TJ just looks like a guy that isnt playing with a lot of urgency. Its almost like hes just going through the motions of the play and if a sack's coming he just takes it instead of trying to sidestep a guy or just tuck it and run. Its almost like he's saying to himself, oh well we'll get'em next time. Of course I can't know what he's thinking but his body language and play tells me that.

I hope he has progressed and the game slows down for him while at the same time he shows some urgency and a desire to win beyond thoughts and words. 

I will say I love his level headedness. That's what Harsin likes about him too. His demeanor never changes out there no matter the situation, a lot like Stidham and Marshall. I think that's a good trait in a QB.

Fans just think it means they aren't urgent since it's such as stark contrast from Nix, whose overly emotional out there. I see your point though. I will say the game looks like it's too fast for him once rushers come at him. What I'm most anxious to see from him this year.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, au302 said:

I will say I love his level headedness. That's what Harsin likes about him too. His demeanor never changes out there no matter the situation, a lot like Stidham and Marshall. I think that's a good trait in a QB.

Fans just think it means they aren't urgent since it's such as stark contrast from Nix, whose overly emotional out there. I see your point though. I will say the game looks like it's too fast for him once rushers come at him. What I'm most anxious to see from him this year.

You're right about Stidham. I had the same feeling when he was QB however Marshall would tuck and run or sidestep a guy all the time. I've seen TJ stand back there and have a guy bearing down on him and he just took his time and got hit while throwing the ball....that's the urgency I'm talking about. He could have pump faked and turned on his back foot to spin out of the way but maybe he just doesn't have that move in him. I don't know.

• Like 1

Watch Calzada in that AtM MSU game and consider how much HE would need to improve. Whoever takes a snap, I’m hoping for all skill, miracles, and gaudy stats. If TJ executes the offense with accurate reads and checks, it’s a step forward. If every play succeeds or fails entirely due to the quarterback, we’ve made no progress.

• Like 1

On 8/22/2022 at 7:10 AM, Auhud08 said:

Agree with all of the above. I dont think “just watch” is harsins preferred recruiting pitch but its where hes at due to the offseason and negative recruiting. Really like Harsins approach, i think hes the right guy long-term. 

I hope so! I want consistency and I want a hard nosed coach. I think he brings that to the table. But we have to be able to recruit… that comes first. If the “just watch” thing is only for this year obviously he will have to produce on the field this season. Makes me nervous. 
I really hope we shock the world (and me). 

From everything that has been reported on the pay sites, the quarterback competition at this point really is not that close. You would think that TJ would be named starter asap. 

Here is a thought: He will name a starter, start the season with somebody completely different on the first snap, and then bring in a full back or some type of hybrid to be quarterback on several plays (that do not work at all). 

Jk… Ha ha ha remember those days like it was yesterday. Don’t want Bird to have a heart attack haha

Edited by gr82b4au