The two rumored top candidates

In 2005, just his second year at Samford, Dunn transformed the Bulldogs from a cellar-dweller to Ohio Valley Conference champions.

Samford (33-21, 19-7) is playing in the Ohio Valley Conference Tournament on Thursday as the No. 2 seed. A graduate of Auburn and a catcher on the baseball team, the 31-year-old Dunn spent three years coaching Spain Park High’s baseball program.

His teams won two Jefferson County titles and a co-region championship and earned two state playoff appearances.

Let's see:

Auburn grad √

Auburn player √

Young (31) √

Winner √

:cheer:

Wasn't he also an AU baseball assistant coach? I think he was hired and was on staff for only a few weeks prior to his receiving the hc offer from Samford.

Why does it seem like every one of the candidates have ties to Auburn? Let's go after someone not from Auburn. We have one of the top baseball facilities in the country and one of the best teams talent wise returning next season. Why aren't we pursuing Tim Corbin from Vanderbilt or another proven head coach who should be able to elevate our talent to the SEC tournament and CWS.

Why does it seem like every one of the candidates have ties to Auburn? Let's go after someone not from Auburn. We have one of the top baseball facilities in the country and one of the best teams talent wise returning next season. Why aren't we pursuing Tim Corbin from Vanderbilt or another proven head coach who should be able to elevate our talent to the SEC tournament and CWS.

We pursued Corbin once already and he turned us down to stay at Vanderbilt. And they are about to sink quite a bit of money into renovating the baseball stadium there. He's got them very competitive both nationally and in the conference. He has no more reason to leave Vandy now than he did 4 years ago.

I think it has more to do that these guys are already successful coaches with teams within the state. Pierce has no ties to Auburn. Heck, Pierce and Dunn's teams beat us this year, so why not consider them? Having ties to Auburn is not important, however, when it comes to college baseball, you have a better chance of getting a good coach to come to your program if they have ties to the program or already coaching at another program in the state. Having history does not automatically mean success. Renfroe and Slater are evidence of that. However, having a good idea of how to recruit within the state and also in the SEC is very important.

Dunn is a former AU player and assistant, plus, like I said, he beat us this year, so I would think he would be the leading candidate. His record is not as strong as Pierce and Lowe, so that, and his youth, could be something that keeps him from getting the job. I think he could do the job regardless.

Pierce, like I said, has no ties to Auburn. He is a former UAT player and assitant, so he knows what SEC baseball is all about. Also, everywhere he has been a head coach, he has been highly successful. He was the first head coach at UAH he made the startup program into a national contender in Div-II baseball with an overall record of 276-108. Starting up a program from scratch and making it a Top 10 baseball program in Div. II from the first year on is an incredible accomplishment. He pretty much transferred that same success over to Troy. While they made it to NCAA regionals, we sat at home. Pierce's head coaching record is hard to over look.

Lowe looks like the guy that should be the leading candidate. He has the experience at all levels of college and in MLB. He is a former AU player who has also both played and coached above the college level (played for Cubs and coached in the Yankees and Expos organizations), which I think gives him an edge over all the other candidates. However he may not want to leave the succesful program he started from scratch at AUM back in 1987. At this stage in his career, he may think prefer to retire from AUM with all he has already proven to himself and others.

• 2 weeks later...

How old is Q.V.Lowe? And if he was hired, is there any way that Casey Dunn would agree to being one of his assistants til Q. V. retired? The experience he would gain along with his familiarity with prospects, etc. would put him into a prime position to step right in. From head coach at Samford to assistant at Auburn should not be a step down.

It looks like this guy might be one of the leading candidates..

Jamey Shouppe

Archived