ATLANTA BRAVES THREAD!

Ronald McDonald

I'm not sure what will happen this year but next year should be very exciting. More than likely they will move Riley to 3rd saving $23 mill. by letting Donaldson go. They will either trade Inciarte or move him back to center ( I think they will bring up Pache and trade Inciarte though) saving another $7 mill. They will let Swarzak go saving another $8 mill. Gausman and O'Day should also be off the books saving another $18 mill.. All that said the Braves are going to have a whole lot of money to spend on  a starting pitcher and a couple of relievers this offseason. To me the infield will be set with Freeman, Albies, Swanson, Riley and McCann (Flowers). Outfield is set too with Markakis, Acuna and Pache.. Starting pitching with Teheran, Soroka, Fried, Folty + some free agent or one of the hot shots in the minors ( Anderson may be ready by then). I think if they could get a closer and a #1 or #2 starter at the trade deadline they could make a run this year. On Kimbrel I think they were a little scared because his stats are starting to tail off slightly and they didn't want to do a long term deal. I disagree I think he was the missing piece but I'm not the GM and I don't know as much as they do.  

3 hours ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

.Just took the series against the Cubs.

Season series yes. Braves lead 5 games to 1 with 1 game left. This week's series ain't over yet. Braves are up 2 games to 1. Game 4 is Thursday at 1:20 CT.

Edited by ellitor

For Braves fans who live out of market the Braves-Mets game is on ESPN tomorrow night at 6 PM CT.

• Like 2

The Braves are also on ESPN on July 4th at 6 PM CT Versus the Phillies in what I am dubbing the red white and blue series.

• 1 month later...

Braves finally got their closer and setup man tonight for a deep push in playoffs. 

• Thanks 1

MLB trade deadline: Braves acquire relievers Shane Greene and Mark Melancon

By Matt Snyder

Jul 31, 2019 at 3:27 pm ET • 2 min read

The Braves have acquired All-Star closer Shane Greene from the Tigers, the team on Wednesday. Shortly thereafter, they also announced a deal for Giants reliever Mark Melancon, too. The Braves previously acquiredChris Martin from the Rangers to help shore up their late-inning relief corps.

Greene, 30, is turning in a career year in 2019. He's got a 1.18 ERA, 0.87 WHIP and 43 strikeouts in 38 innings. Blown saves have been an issue for the Braves and Greene has only blown three in 25 chances for the Tigers. Melancon, 34, has a 3.50 ERA, 1.40 WHIP and 44 strikeouts in 46 1/3 innings this season for the Giants. Formerly one of the best closers in the league, Melancon is not near what he used to be, but he can get some big outs. 

The Braves now have Greene to close with Melancon and Martin likely serving as the primary setup men, meaning in less than 24 hours, the Braves completely overhauled their struggling bullpen. Luke Jackson, Sean Newcomb and Anthony Swarzak are also options for high-leverage work, though it hasn't exactly been working out lately. Jackson blew another save on Wednesday, minutes before these deals were reported. 

In fact, that was the Braves' 18th blown save this season, putting them in the top third of the league in that category. Yes, there are several contenders above them (the A's, Cubs, Nationals, Red Sox, Dodgers and Yankees and wow a lot of playoff-caliber teams need to fix bullpens), but blowing roughly 40 percent of your team's save chances doesn't inspire confidence for chances of a deep playoff runs. 

With Martin, Melancon and Greene now on board, the Braves' chances of winning the pennant certainly went up.

6 hours ago, AUBwins said:

Braves finally got their closer and setup man tonight for a deep push in playoffs. 

Yep! Before the Grenke deal we had won the trading period with one of the 3 best closers so far this season & 2 other good relievers. Time to clinch the #2 seed in the playoffs & get ready for the NL Central Champs.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Well so far the Greene acquisition has been a bust. 

• Angry 1

5 minutes ago, around4ever said:

The bullpen is trash.  It's unbelievable how bad they all have been as of late.  

Yes. Actually Greene didn't lose this one but he has blown some saves already. He was supposed to be the guy to turn the game over to. A 4 run lead in the 9th and they blew it. Ridiculous. 

• Sad 1

24 minutes ago, gr82be said:

Yes. Actually Greene didn't lose this one but he has blown some saves already. He was supposed to be the guy to turn the game over to. A 4 run lead in the 9th and they blew it. Ridiculous. 

Yea Green was demoted from the closer in place of Melancon before the game.  4 straight 1 out singles and Green came in to just finish them off. They better figure out the bullpen or they may not hold the division lead much less advance out of first round of playoffs. 

• Like 1

On 8/10/2019 at 8:59 PM, around4ever said:

The bullpen is trash.  It's unbelievable how bad they all have been as of late.  

Still true a week later. 🤮

On 8/17/2019 at 4:58 PM, jared52 said:

Still true a week later. 🤮

The BP actually did OK this weekend against the Dodgers, who I thought would destroy the BP. 

I love that Acuna was benched for not hustling.  Turned into a blessing as the reserve hit a GS that proved the winner. 

• Like 1

On 8/18/2019 at 9:08 PM, AUBwins said:

I love that Acuna was benched for not hustling.  Turned into a blessing as the reserve hit a GS that proved the winner. 

• Love 1

Sorry if this was already posted.  A friend heard recently the difference between the Atlanta Braves'  "A" and the Bammer "A".   The Bammer "A" has a mullet.  I love it.

image.png

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, saminbama said:

Sorry if this was already posted.  A friend heard recently the difference between the Atlanta Braves'  "A" and the Bammer "A".   The Bammer "A" has a mullet.  I love it.

image.png

I've heard that before and it fits. Its a terrible looking window decal too. You can't center the thing because of the offset crest of the A with the long tail. It always looks like they were drunk when they put it on their car window. It's a pet peeve of mine but if you are going to put something like a decal in your car window then get it right. 

• 4 weeks later...

CONGRATS TO THE BRAVES WITH FORMER AUBURN TIGER JOSH DONALDSON!!!   What a crazy, unbelievable season this has been!  Ups and downs with bullpen woes at times.  This is a special team!!  More work to be done but The Braves are National League East Champions!!!

• 3 weeks later...

What the heck.....missed the top of the first and came in to find Brave trailing 10-0.....how in the world can something like that happen in a championship series? :slapfh:

2 minutes ago, AU64 said:

What the heck.....missed the top of the first and came in to find Brave trailing 10-0.....how in the world can something like that happen in a championship series? :slapfh:

Unfortunately this is the typical post season play of the Braves x 10. Snitker has Bobby Coxed his way into this 5th game due to his desire to play pitcher/batter matchup when the pitcher he had in the game in game 4 was taking care of business. Why they get so hung up on making sure that Greene and Malancon pitch is beyond me. Sometimes you just go with the guy who's getting the job done. Anyway they gave us seeing eye hits, multiple errors and walked in several runs including walking the pitcher with the bases loaded. Sigh. 

1 hour ago, gr82be said:

Unfortunately this is the typical post season play of the Braves x 10. Snitker has Bobby Coxed his way into this 5th game due to his desire to play pitcher/batter matchup when the pitcher he had in the game in game 4 was taking care of business. Why they get so hung up on making sure that Greene and Malancon pitch is beyond me. Sometimes you just go with the guy who's getting the job done. Anyway they gave us seeing eye hits, multiple errors and walked in several runs including walking the pitcher with the bases loaded. Sigh. 

I always though Snit was a bridge to someone better, but the top brass seem to be satisfied with him. I think he makes too many bad bullpen decisions. 

Still a great core to build around for another run. This will be a huge learning experience for those guys who will hopefully have many more chances to make up for it.