Realistic View of this Team (Offense and Defense)

AUTigergrad08

make no doubt about it, any SEC team can win any game at any time. I was the most afraid of arkansas and we pulled it out. I think we should beat every team we play. I know its popular to down our d and they didnt do anything to help themselves saturday but they make just enough plays. i think our dbs looked the worst they have but again they played some legit nfl physically impressive receivers that i think outmatched them at times. i felt they put a good d up against mallet but as you can expect we not prepared for wilson. with that said by the fourth quarter aparantly they knew his tendancies well enough to drop bynes perfect on two passes and Holland was a hair away from making it three of the middle picks and i remember some picture perfect fourth quarter knock downs. People will complain and talking heads will do what they do but the bottum line is if this team keeps playing this hard and showing up they can do a lot of great things, we may not have the lights out d that was what auburn was about the last ten years but we still win, i dont care much for beauty contests all i care about is winning football games. We definately got room for improvement but seriously when it matters they deliver and to point its been good enough.

Great post!  I can definitely see our weaknesses, but coaching defense at the top collegiate level isn't as easy as we might think it is.  We've played some high-powered offenses the last two weeks.  Look at what Hartline and Co. did against a pretty good SC defense yeterday.  I think a lot of what we saw yesterday was Tyler Wilson putting the ball where only his receivers could catch it.  Greg Childs is a monster.  He would be a tremendous asset on any team. 

My point is that Arkansas' offense had a lot to do with why our defense looked bad at times yesterday.

Also, I would caution us about being overly optimistic that teams won't be able to run on us.  We have definitely been suceptible to outside running plays.  Arkansas had some success with Davis running to the outside.  We are pretty good at stuffing the run up the middle, though.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What I find to be interesting pattern is that nearly everyone who says they are a "realist", really hold an extremely high regard for their own opinion, whether it is correct or not...and usually feel obligated to be abrasive or critical of whatever "real is real"...   :dunno:

Well, I listed the good and the bad of the team in a thorough analysis.  I gave predictions of the two toughest teams we face left.  What do you find not correct? 

I agree with a lot of what you said...but you still had to get on the "Let's slam our D/Roof" campaign...absolutely unnecessary in the context of being realistic of this team...

Not "slamming" them.  Simply pointing out the obvious.  Wanted it to be a complete analysis.  Not sure how one can pump sunshine into the defense right now except for Josh Bynes who was pivotal in his role in getting the interceptions.

Most realize it's obvious we have a ways to go on defense. Just like the other 300 that pointed it out before you.

It's been pointed out that we have a very experienced and successful DB coach. We have the players we have and they play hard. And I'm sure our coaches will read your posts and take action immediately as they have been ignorant to our issues until your now.

can you seriously go one day just one without bashing our defense and how you think roof is incompetent? im guessing not seeing that your posts are stating your same arguments everyday  

Jmassie11 - I am not sure which game you were watching on Saturday, but if you think our DBs played a good game you need to take off the orange and blue glasses and realize that they have a long way to go just to be decent.  For the life of me I cannot figure out how we do not have a DB on our team who can look back and find the ball........

can you seriously go one day just one without bashing our defense and how you think roof is incompetent? im guessing not seeing that your posts are stating your same arguments everyday  

Jmassie11 - I am not sure which game you were watching on Saturday, but if you think our DBs played a good game you need to take off the orange and blue glasses and realize that they have a long way to go just to be decent.  For the life of me I cannot figure out how we do not have a DB on our team who can look back and find the ball........

I don't think Jmassie was arguing the point.  He was simply saying that the poster doesn't need to start a new thread every day complaining about the same thing.  I think we all are aware of the problem(s). 

Archived