Game Tempo an Advantage against LSU

AUTigergrad08

Listening to Gus talk about having at least 80 plays on offense this week is vital.  I thought we didn't take advantage of that too much against Arks.  Now, I realize part of that was b/c our defense was getting gashed.  But, I think this vital to our success this weekend. 

I think if we can get the offense going and make Patrick Peterson and the others exhausted and begin to put their hands on their hips, then we can attack and neutralize their so called "talent". 

I think this is vital part to our success this weekend especially since we shouldn't be in a shootout.  With LSU's questionable offense, we won't be facing a precision passer, and should be able to run the complete up tempo offense of Gus.

The strategy against arky was to have long sustained drives. he best defense against a fast scoring offense is to keep them off the field

The strategy against arky was to have long sustained drives. he best defense against a fast scoring offense is to keep them off the field

I agree and I mentioned that.  LSU doesn't have a fast scoring offense.  That's why game tempo and making Peterson putting his hands on his hips is going to be huge this weekend.

I still honestly believe that we havent seen a lot of the playbook lately.

We have done what has worked this year... and that is to run the football. Mainly with Cam Newton... Malzahn said they will build the offense around the strength of the quarterback.... and he has done just that.

He also commented earlier that Auburn has seen "Zero" blitz this year... he said defenses are keeping everything in front of them... and ultimately, it Cam has benefited from it.

At some point in time, a defense will have to make their choice, blitz Cam and try to put him on his back, or risk giving up the deep ball down field.

IMO opinion... the third quarter against Clemson provides proof that Auburn can light it up when they want to... they had 254 yards of offense in that one quarter which is more than some teams can accomplish in one half, and in some instances... one game.

I agree with the Tempo being a factor... I think we will go back to the roots of the late third quarter and most of the 4th against South Carolina where we just gashed them to death and they were exhausted.

AuTigergrad08,

My point of this post is to simply state that I dont believe we have seen the entire playbook... Auburn only threw the ball 14 times against Arkansas, and we wore them down. I was at the game and it seemed like their defense was just sick of playing our offense.

This will be a sensitive game for Gus Malzahn, he remembers last year when LSU just man handled Auburn to 83 passing yards.

I think we will open it up a little bit at Home, and try to beat the Hatter at his own game... we wont change anything offensively until LSU proves that they can stop Auburn.

If LSU sells out to stop Newton... it really could be a long day for them... I like our receivers chances of winning the battle in man to man coverage.

I think the Key to LSU's Secondary success this year is due to the fact that they have a good pass rush... our veteran offensive line is going to hold them in place long enough for Cam to make plays... and we are going to establish a good offensive rushing attack with Auburn dynamic backfield.

At the end of the day...

Tempo

Veteran Line

Deep threat

Will leave LSU guessing to much on D... we can wear them down and win this game.

Im taking the good guys.

Listening to Gus talk about having at least 80 plays on offense this week is vital.  I thought we didn't take advantage of that too much against Arks.  Now, I realize part of that was b/c our defense was getting gashed.  But, I think this vital to our success this weekend. 

I think if we can get the offense going and make Patrick Peterson and the others exhausted and begin to put their hands on their hips, then we can attack and neutralize their so called "talent". 

I think this is vital part to our success this weekend especially since we shouldn't be in a shootout.  With LSU's questionable offense, we won't be facing a precision passer, and should be able to run the complete up tempo offense of Gus.

We haven't taken advantage of that all season.  We've yet to hit the 80 play mark this year.

He also commented earlier that Auburn has seen "Zero" blitz this year... he said defenses are keeping everything in front of them... and ultimately, it Cam has benefited from it.

At some point in time, a defense will have to make their choice, blitz Cam and try to put him on his back, or risk giving up the deep ball down field.

Is LSU the defense to blitz?  I don't know what LSU's defensive tendencies are, but they will probably be the most talented defense Auburn will face all year.  No telling what we will see this week.....

Cam is going to run right by there '' so called talent''!!!

:party: :party: :party:

:wedance:

GA, sometimes your sunshine pumping is a little too much.  This game has been worrying me though, and today it was just what I needed.  We're gonna wear those corndogs down and smack 'em around!  I'm feeling a 5 yard smack-back when Peterson tries to move up into Cam's lane.(a la Tate over Berry last year)  Pump away my friend, and War Damn Eagle!

I like the tempo idea.  LSU has at least two superior defenders.  We need to get those guys, particularly their tackles, with their hands on their knees.

The trick is, it only works if you make first downs.  So we need to get right at 'em.

I'm looking for that game when we are hitting on all cylinders (both sides) and finally have that win that convinces all the "I'll wait and see/Not fully convinced" fencesitters.  We already have UAT worried. I'd like Boise State, Oregon, whoever to be worried. I have Bammer people around me saying that the refs are for us, our close games were won by luck (they DO NOT want to hear about the last Ironbowl) and that Cam is the only threat on our team. All proof presented to them ends up with the comment, "You'd win by much bigger margins if you where a real team".  For a fact - most of this is said in absolute fear of AU but that one huge win in convincing fashion would shut up the Bammers, Holtz's, "Stink Fine Baums" out there.  Look forward to a great game this week.

From what I've seen this year our offenses worst enemy especially when it comes to getting 80 plays is our defense.  If we continue with a bend and don't break style defense then it keeps the ball out of our offenses hands.  So if LSU has multiple 3 and outs and their defense has trouble with our offense then it will be a very long day for the LSWHO corndog football team and fans come Saturday!   :wedance:

GA, sometimes your sunshine pumping is a little too much.  This game has been worrying me though, and today it was just what I needed.  We're gonna wear those corndogs down and smack 'em around!  I'm feeling a 5 yard smack-back when Peterson tries to move up into Cam's lane.(a la Tate over Berry last year)  Pump away my friend, and War Damn Eagle!

I never said there wasnt a reason to be concerned... I just simply think we have seen a pale side of the play book and we are about to open things up.

I could be wrong... but I dont care as long as Auburn gets the victory.

I have said many times that this will be the most brutal and physical game of the year. Still think our Tigers can win this game.

I still honestly believe that we havent seen a lot of the playbook lately.

We have done what has worked this year... and that is to run the football. Mainly with Cam Newton... Malzahn said they will build the offense around the strength of the quarterback.... and he has done just that.

IMO opinion... the third quarter against Clemson provides proof that Auburn can light it up when they want to... they had 254 yards of offense in that one quarter which is more than some teams can accomplish in one half, and in some instances... one game.

I agree with the Tempo being a factor... I think we will go back to the roots of the late third quarter and most of the 4th against South Carolina where we just gashed them to death and they were exhausted.

AuTigergrad08,

My point of this post is to simply state that I dont believe we have seen the entire playbook... Auburn only threw the ball 14 times against Arkansas, and we wore them down. I was at the game and it seemed like their defense was just sick of playing our offense.

This will be a sensitive game for Gus Malzahn, he remembers last year when LSU just man handled Auburn to 83 passing yards.

I think we will open it up a little bit at Home, and try to beat the Hatter at his own game... we wont change anything offensively until LSU proves that they can stop Auburn.

If LSU sells out to stop Newton... it really could be a long day for them... I like our receivers chances of winning the battle in man to man coverage.

I think the Key to LSU's Secondary success this year is due to the fact that they have a good pass rush... our veteran offensive line is going to hold them in place long enough for Cam to make plays... and we are going to establish a good offensive rushing attack with Auburn dynamic backfield.

At the end of the day...

Tempo

Veteran Line

Deep threat

Will leave LSU guessing to much on D... we can wear them down and win this game.

Im taking the good guys.

Some might see this as sunshine pumping, but some great points here.

That's right!  Sunshine sprinkled with some valid points and truths is the best way to fire me up.  Folks like Trevor Mattress that use all of our tough sec games as their upset pick and only talk about how we stink on D, they just put me in doldrums sometimes.  I was being completely honest when saying that GA had lifted me from my funk.  I am now only slightly worried about the LSU polecats, and more excited about the damage that we unload on them.  No analysts talk about our more than

With Chavis dialing up the blitz on Saturday, I think Eric Smith and Lutz's pass protection will be key!

Cam runs wild and throws well with the blitz.  Bring the blitz, please Chavis!  I would love for that to happen.

If I had said a lot of positive things about the defense... wouldnt that be sunshine pumping?

We should have high expectations for our offense.

If I am right on a few of my predictions... would it be SP then?

Or perhaps its just a lucky guess... either way... I hope im right lol.

If I had said a lot of positive things about the defense... wouldnt that be sunshine pumping?

We should have high expectations for our offense.

If I am right on a few of my predictions... would it be SP then?

Or perhaps its just a lucky guess... either way... I hope im right lol.

Maybe a little bit in reference to the defense, because they haven't exactly backed it up yet.  Agreed about the offense.  Just saying, many on here use the word sunshine pumping a lot.  But, it's hard to find something negative to say about the offense.  The O is rolling, and Cam has to be one of the best players I've ever seen.

These guys keep finding ways to win, and I expect Auburn to play very well on Saturday because they have been tough at home.

The crowd will be alive, and all it would take is one defensive turnover and that place will go crazy... our players feed off the crowd.

As I said before against Arkansas... if Cam has any say in Auburn winning this game... we will be fine.

These guys keep finding ways to win, and I expect Auburn to play very well on Saturday because they have been tough at home.

The crowd will be alive, and all it would take is one defensive turnover and that place will go crazy... our players feed off the crowd.

As I said before against Arkansas... if Cam has any say in Auburn winning this game... we will be fine.

Agreed.  Cam is the best weapon one could ask for.  I want the ball in his hands all the time.

I agree with you GA....You will see a lot of plays you have not seen to date. Malzahn will take adavantage of overpursuit and blitzes.....I would be willing to bet that they have gone over every possible way to counter every LSU blitz this year.

I also look for some reverses ala 09 Iron Bowl....

Archived