Russia prepared for pre-emptive strikes

Tigermike

Why would they come to that decision now? Why was that not a viable option three weeks ago?

Russia prepared for pre-emptive strikes on 'terror bases' worldwide

Wed Sep 8, 5:43 AM ET  Add Top Stories - AFP to My Yahoo!

MOSCOW (AFP) - Russia is prepared to make pre-emptive strikes on "terrorist bases" anywhere in the world, the Interfax news agency cited the country's chief of staff as saying.

"With regard to preventive strikes on terrorist bases, we will take any action to eliminate terrorist bases in any region of the world. But this does not mean we will carry out nuclear strikes," General Yuri Baluyevsky said Wednesday.

Baluyevsky added that Russia's choice of action "will be determined by the concrete situation where ever it may be in the world.

"Military action is the last resort in the fight agaisnt terrorism."

But this does not mean we will carry out nuclear strikes,"

I'm glad they cleared that up!

LINK

If the Ruskies had supported the Iraq coalition maybe some of this wouldn't be happening. Powerful and overwhelming opposition is a problem for the organized terrorists. It's kind of funny Russia wouldn't support us invading Iraq but now that their 9/11 has come they are ready to strike.

Russia prepared for pre-emptive strikes on 'terror bases' worldwide

Wed Sep 8, 5:43 AM ET  Add Top Stories - AFP to My Yahoo!

MOSCOW (AFP) - Russia is prepared to make pre-emptive strikes on "terrorist bases" anywhere in the world, the Interfax news agency cited the country's chief of staff as saying.

"With regard to preventive strikes on terrorist bases, we will take any action to eliminate terrorist bases in any region of the world. But this does not mean we will carry out nuclear strikes," General Yuri Baluyevsky said Wednesday.

Baluyevsky added that Russia's choice of action "will be determined by the concrete situation where ever it may be in the world.

"Military action is the last resort in the fight agaisnt terrorism."

Well welcome to the #$%^ party.

Hey guys. When I was a student at Auburn, many years ago, I actually got a degree in Russian Studies. I know, you guys are probably shocked that we even had that major, but we did.

Anyway, the Russians are just different people than us. Russians just place a lesser value on individual human lives than we do here in this country. I know it sounds crazy and simple-minded, but it's just true. Their history is filled with millions upon millions of their own people dying from wars, purges, artificially-induced famines .. whatever. So to them, a few hundred just isn't that big of a deal. Compared to WWII (est. 20 - 30 million dead) this is hardly a blip on the radar.

What IS a big deal to them is allowing these Chechens to question the authority of the central government. Russians have been conditioned against questioning authority, and these terrorists are rocking the boat. The absolute last thing the Russian government wants is for other disparate groups in their still massive country to start sreaming for THEIR independence, too. The government's greatest fear is disintegration. Come to think of it, it is a pretty nast thought. Imagine 20 new little Crapistans popping up along Russia's southern border. I believe there are quite enough "-stans" causing trouble in the world already.

So their methods for dealing with these Chechens seem, to our way of thinking, insane. Who would want all those kids to die? But from the Russian point of view, saving the kids just wasn't the #1 priority. Showing the terrorists that their actions were pointless was the object of the excercise. It's like the Russians just would rather kill the hostages, their own people, so the terrorists have nothing left to bargain with. It's a hard line, but it seems to be what they're doing as a policy.

Anyway, don't be surprised to see what's left of the Red Army roll itself into Chechnya to raise some serious Hell. If they don't care about Russian civilians, you can bet the farm that they're not going to care about the chechens civilians, either.

On the other hand, maybe there's no such thing as a chechen civilian. When the terrorists swim like fish in the school of regular people, they are making innocent people targets. So, look for the death toll to continue climbing.

Archived