The other half of 60 Minutes....

DKW 86

Link

Barnes' Daughter calls her father "Kerry fundraiser" and comments "political."

WBAP Exclusive

AUDIO - Daughter of Ben Barnes Disputes Father's Claims as Political

The Former Texas House Speaker Ben Barnes' recollections over how he helped President Bush get into the Texas Air National Guard during the Vietnam War have evolved over the years from fuzzy to distinct.

Barnes, who once claimed he did not help Bush enter the National Guard, reversed his story and told CBS News 60 Minutes that he in fact did help Bush.

Mr. Barnes daughter, Amy Barnes Stites called the Mark Davis Show and spoke with guest host Monica Crowley on WBAP September 9th dismissing Barnes' claims as political and opportunistic.

Click here for audio (Windows Media).

Excerpt of Call:

BARNES: I love my father very much, but he's doing this for purely political reasons. He is a big Kerry fund-raiser and he is writing a book also. And [the Bush story] is what he's leading the book off with. ... He denied this to me in 2000 that he did get Bush out [of Vietnam service]. Now he's saying he did.

CROWLEY: Did he tell you, Amy – and I'm glad I have you on the line with me – did your father tell you that he was prepared to do this on behalf of John Kerry – go after President Bush like this?

BARNES: He told me he was going to do it. In fact, I talked to him a couple of months ago. He told me he was writing the book. He told me that he was going to be talking about this. And he knows that I – we have very diverse political opinions. He knows my opinions and we get into this debate every time I see him. But, you know, he said that he was going to be talking about it.

CROWLEY: Now you're saying, Amy, that he has had two separate stories on President Bush's Guard duty during the Vietnam era?

BARNES: Yes, yes. This came out in 2000 and I asked him then, at the time, if he [helped get Bush into the Guard]. He said: "No, absolutely not. I did not do that." -

CROWLEY: So, I hate to put you in this position, but I will ask you, do you think your father, Ben Barnes who was on "60 Minutes II" with Dan Rather last night – do you believe that he lied on the air to the American people last night about President Bush?

BARNES; Yes, I do. I absolutely do. And I think he's doing he's doing it for purely political, opportunistic reasons – trying to get John Kerry elected and trying to make Bush look like the bad person. ... Like I said, he's going to be trying to promote his book that he's got coming out.

Well kiss my grits. Who would have ever thought that a democrat would out and out lie to denigrate President Bush! After all didn't Mr. Kerry say they would take the high road?

Well kiss my grits. Who would have ever thought that a democrat would out and out lie to denigrate President Bush! After all didn't Mr. Kerry say they would take the high road?

If this is the Kerry "High Road", I would hate to see the low road.

What worries me the most is that THIS is the best candidate the Dems could come up with.

And what worries us is that Bush is the best you can come up with and you still want to keep him!

What worries me the most is that THIS is the best candidate the Dems could come up with.

And what worries us is that Bush is the best you can come up with and you still want to keep him!

Al, did Osama steal your Username?

He already beat your best once...looks like he's gonna do it again.

Now you know how we felt about slimy willie clinton.

Archived