Saban over recruited by 12 allready

wdeexit310

Guy called in today and said tweets goin around about  Nick Saban has allready gone over limit by 12.

I wonder how many will get the old medical redshirt or  will have scholarships taken away!!!!!!!!!!!

He cheats so bad and the players and parents are the victims!!!!!!

I question the wisdom of this practice not only because it lacks integrity, but I would also think that it disrupts any kind of continuity with a greater number of athletes leaving the program each year in order to make room for the new ones.  That being said, the next game that I coach will be my first.

I actually have a theory about this one.  It will be interesting to watch and see how many of these recruits actually qualify.  Could it be he accepts commits from high rated players that they expect not to qualify just to get their ratings up?  This is not that far fetched, remember 09 when Houston Nut oversigned with 37 commits?  Got him a #18 class, but a lot of non qualifiers.

I don't really care, but these kids and their parents are starting to catch on. Sanders and now Calloway were 2 of $aban's jewel recruits. They wised up and many others will aswell.

Most will get in he is running a college team with the ability to cut like the pros.  It is not illegal but it does show bad faith on his part to the players.  It will eventually bite all of college football because the ncaa will become stricter on requirements for medical hardships.

I am not worried about Saban being over by 12 or whatever the number is. Thats his problem not ours. I hate it for the kids who end up getting medical scholarships but they knew what they were getting into. so lets not worry about them.

I think those guys always have the option of transferring instead of doing medical redshirts. Scholarships are by definition only for one year, any college can cut a guy loose at any time and give his scholarship to someone else.

If a guy is not really injured, I think they can cut him and they would not technically owe him anything. To some degree, they are helping a player that they would otherwise cut by finding a way to keep him on scholarship if he wants to stay at UAT.

I do think there should be a rule that if a team cuts a guy, he should not have to sit out a year, but I don't think that is a all that big of a deal.  Sure, UAT may also be doing it to keep a competitor from getting the player, but would we (or LSU, UGA, or UT) really want a player that was not good enough to be in the top 85 at UAT?

It is sad, but this is a business and as long as it is, colleges will do whatever they have to do to get the best 85 on scholarship. In the future, as our talent continues to upgrade, we will face similar tough decisions.

I am not worried about Saban being over by 12 or whatever the number is. Thats his problem not ours. I hate it for the kids who end up getting medical scholarships but they knew what they were getting into. so lets not worry about them.

This is stated pretty nicely.

Over signing will catch up to him.

This is stated pretty nicely.

Over signing will catch up to him.

Jonesy,

Was that you I saw over on the talk weather forums the other night? If so, I am impressed, you do recruiting AND weather.

I used to feel bad for the kids but have lost all sympathy for them in the past year or two.  They can't be dumb enough to look at the numbers and depth chart and still sign there.  If you are a top linebacker out there, why would you sign at a place with 15 on roster while you could go somewhere and possibly start?  The kids and their parents just need to pay more attention to this stuff since it is their lives on the line.

Come on once the sabear comes to your house and tells you "come play for me and win 13 more champonchips because i won them all by myself anyway" you can't deny that.....

Guy called in today and said tweets goin around about  Nick Saban has allready gone over limit by 12.

I wonder how many will get the old medical redshirt or  will have scholarships taken away!!!!!!!!!!!

Arkansas is starting to follow bama's "over the limit" lead.    They are shooting for 32 commits.  I didn't think that was a legal move anymore....even if ...some do not qualify and a few count back towards last year.

I may be wrong but I believe the kids who get cut from uat can transfer but not to a FBS school.  Which is why so many end up a little schools.  The fact he oversigns and cuts as a regular part of his program defines him, his process and his university. 

I am shocked that bammer fans either turn a blind eye or embrace the practice. 

I may be wrong but I believe the kids who get cut from uat can transfer but not to a FBS school.  Which is why so many end up a little schools.  The fact he oversigns and cuts as a regular part of his program defines him, his process and his university. 

Really?  Shocked?

That's how "the nation" has always worked with the Bar, i thought.

The recruits will catch on and Saban will then move on.

They can go to either division but must sit a year in D-1. Not so in D-2. If they have never redshirted before then a D-1 transfer might be OK but not so if previously redshirted.

You guys need to stop looking at what Bama is doing as if we aren't also doing it.  Pure hypocricy.  Oversigning comes down to one statistic (all the others are a distraction):  how many scholarship players enroll as part of each years 25 allotted scholarships.  That's it.  If a school signs ENROLLS 25 a year for 4 years then they are necessarily clearing their roster out to stay within the 85 max for the team.  It doesn't matter when they get rid of a kid, just that at some point a kid left the team early and freed up their scholarship.

Has Chizik used every available scholarship so far?  Yes.  He has enrolled 50 new kids so far and he looks to be enrolling 25 more in 2011, so that's 75.  I predict he'll enroll another 25 in 2012 which will necessarily require attrition among his own recruits (100 enrolled Chizik recruits > 85 limit).

So Chizik has enrolled the maximum number of recruits over 2, soon to be 3 years, and Saban has enrolled the maximum number of recruits over his 4 or 5 years.  Do you resent either coach for refreshing their inherited rosters as quickly as possible? The main difference in the way Chizik clears space on the roster and the way Saban clears space is that Chizik does it over a year ahead of time so by the time February signings role around he already has space and therefore doesn't open himself up to criticism.  Saban clears his roster spots at the last possible moment before the recruits arrive, which makes him look like a villain.  I'm sure Saban thinks there is some competitive advantage gained from keeping kids around as long as possible (turns Spring practice into a tryout), but it's causing him a PR nightmare.

Am I full of it?  Does anybody remember having discussions after the 2009 class signed about how few openings the 2010 class would have?  We didn't have that many seniors graduating in 2009.  But lo and behold there were a number of medical hardships and a bunch of kids that got in trouble in class and some academic casualties.  Were those legit?  I'm sure most of them were.  That's the big advantage of clearing the roster early... you can take advantage of legitimate issues.  Some of those kids could have helped us on the field in 2009, so Chizik wasn't just cutting the least physically gifted.  He targeted trouble makers and academic issues.  Good for him.

I have no idea if Saban just cuts the athletically challenged, but that is the way it appears.  He seems to have reached a point where all the extra spots are reclaimed from kids that aren't in the 2 deep.  I wonder whether it will become like that once Chizik has a roster full of good kids who maintain their grades.  As well as he is recrutiing we should expect academic and moral behavior to improve with each new class.  But will he continue to enroll 25 a year, rain or shine?  If he does then he is no different that Saban.

AUoutsider is overstating Auburn's case.  We have been spared a lot of the tough decisions, but to assume that Chizik will pull the same crap as Saban is erroneous.  I might eat these words, but I will wait until the facts are turned in.  Chizik has chosen to approach his program as a family rather than as a machine, as Saban does.  His signing philosophy could be a great way to demonstrate that.  I hope he chooses to.

That being said, I was just at the oversigning.com site.  They are asking for someone from Auburn to provide their projected numbers for 2011.  Could someone smarter than me (90% of the site) please follow through on that?

You guys need to stop looking at what Bama is doing as if we aren't also doing it.  Pure hypocricy.  Oversigning comes down to one statistic (all the others are a distraction):  how many scholarship players enroll as part of each years 25 allotted scholarships.  That's it.  If a school signs ENROLLS 25 a year for 4 years then they are necessarily clearing their roster out to stay within the 85 max for the team.  It doesn't matter when they get rid of a kid, just that at some point a kid left the team early and freed up their scholarship.

Has Chizik used every available scholarship so far?  Yes.  He has enrolled 50 new kids so far and he looks to be enrolling 25 more in 2011, so that's 75.  I predict he'll enroll another 25 in 2012 which will necessarily require attrition among his own recruits (100 enrolled Chizik recruits > 85 limit).

So Chizik has enrolled the maximum number of recruits over 2, soon to be 3 years, and Saban has enrolled the maximum number of recruits over his 4 or 5 years.  Do you resent either coach for refreshing their inherited rosters as quickly as possible? The main difference in the way Chizik clears space on the roster and the way Saban clears space is that Chizik does it over a year ahead of time so by the time February signings role around he already has space and therefore doesn't open himself up to criticism.  Saban clears his roster spots at the last possible moment before the recruits arrive, which makes him look like a villain.  I'm sure Saban thinks there is some competitive advantage gained from keeping kids around as long as possible (turns Spring practice into a tryout), but it's causing him a PR nightmare.

Am I full of it?  Does anybody remember having discussions after the 2009 class signed about how few openings the 2010 class would have?  We didn't have that many seniors graduating in 2009.  But lo and behold there were a number of medical hardships and a bunch of kids that got in trouble in class and some academic casualties.  Were those legit?  I'm sure most of them were.  That's the big advantage of clearing the roster early... you can take advantage of legitimate issues.  Some of those kids could have helped us on the field in 2009, so Chizik wasn't just cutting the least physically gifted.  He targeted trouble makers and academic issues.  Good for him.

I have no idea if Saban just cuts the athletically challenged, but that is the way it appears.  He seems to have reached a point where all the extra spots are reclaimed from kids that aren't in the 2 deep.  I wonder whether it will become like that once Chizik has a roster full of good kids who maintain their grades.  As well as he is recrutiing we should expect academic and moral behavior to improve with each new class.  But will he continue to enroll 25 a year, rain or shine?  If he does then he is no different that Saban.

Because we had lost so many recruits Tubby`s last two years, we were way under total on schollies. Chizik had to sign full classes both years to get us back to 85. We gave 3 or 4 schollies to walkons to get there. Chizik didn`t run many folks off, he didn`t have that luxury. Sure a few left but most on good terms and with actual medical problems. As we are losing a large # of senior again and probably 2 juniors, he will need another full class. Down the road things may be different but not at the moment.

I think the 85 limit should be bumped up to 100. Just say a team signs 25 a year they will be over 15 anyways. So why have an 85 limit if you can sign up to 28? I also see the good and bad to oversigning... Scholarships are one year deals, they have to be renewed each year. Why not get rid of dead weight when as a coach you are asked to win? You guys can say its all about loyality to your players but would we keep a coach around that wins 6 games and year and keep dead weight around or a coach that wins championships and Cut dead weight and does what is best for the TEAM?

More he signs, less that other SEC teams can get..He is trying limit competition. Smart but dirty..

IMO - There are plenty to go around.  And, if I'm not mistaken, every school falls under the exact same limitations and guidelines as the rest of the schools.  How each coach chooses to handle the situation is up to him. 

Saban has been on college football a long time - he's been at UAT 5 yrs.  To say that HS recruits and their parents are naive to his recruting technique is ridiculous.  ALL recruits and their parents/guardians/mentors/supports personnel know the game Saban plays.  And, many of them are still making to choice to play for him. 

We'll get our share regardless, and so will LSU/OM/UAT/Ark/FLA......

There are plenty to go around.

Arkansas is starting to follow bama's "over the limit" lead.    They are shooting for 32 commits.   I didn't think that was a legal move anymore....even if ...some do not qualify and a few count back towards last year.

It better be a legal move because we signed 32 in our last class.  ;D

Archived