The Chip Kelly System

torpedo11345162972

While I'm constantly checking for the recruiting updates and/or enjoying our success, thought i would pose some questions about Chip Kellys Spread System for those of you with more knowledge about these matter than me..

Our D line messed up their plays. What do they have to do to fix that?? Would recruiting bigger O linemen not slow their pace down or tire the O line.

Would'nt the same go for them recruiting bigger D lineman, since they stay on the field longer.

As years pass by, would the scheme become less dangerous as more defenses get used to it??

As Mr. Canzano (The Oregonian) wrote after eating a plateful of crow on Tuesday, if Oregon wants to compete with the big boys, Kelly has to recruit some size in his O and D lines. ;D  They were pushed around all game long.

While I'm constantly checking for the recruiting updates and/or enjoying our success, thought i would pose some questions about Chip Kellys Spread System for those of you with more knowledge about these matter than me..

Our D line messed up their plays. What do they have to do to fix that?? Would recruiting bigger O linemen not slow their pace down or tire the O line.

Would'nt the same go for them recruiting bigger D lineman, since they stay on the field longer.

As years pass by, would the scheme become less dangerous as more defenses get used to it??

I have said this many times before, and I feel this is the blueprint for a spread type system.

SIZE AND SPEED... OVER SMALL AND FAST.

Auburn is the perfect example of that... take a look at what we accomplished in 2010.

Even LSU in 2007 had Trindon Holiday to compliment all the size and big receivers they had.

Got to have a combination if you ask me.

If Oregon beefed up a little, I think it would help.

As I said the other day. This system works great during the regular season because teams only have a week to prepare for it. But when you give a team a month to prepare for it, it will not work.

As I said the other day. This system works great during the regular season because teams only have a week to prepare for it. But when you give a team a month to prepare for it, it will not work.

It worked fine in terms of yardage... just not in points.

It worked fine in terms of yardage... just not in points.

This is one of the big knocks against that type of Spread - they can move the ball, but once they get near the goal line, they don't have the Power to punch it in.  You'll notice that Malzahn doesn't like to refer to his offense as a "Spread."  One of the reasons is that it has this kind of connotation associated with it.

It is very similar to what happens to ga tech since they began running the triple option.  During the season most teams don't see it and it is effective.  But when you have better athletes with time to prepare for the offense it is ineffective.  See lsu 08 vs ga tech

We stopped their run and made them pass for yardage. Do pass plays take longer to reset and thus slow the pace?

As one of the TV commentators pointed out, it's easier to call plays when it's 2nd or 3rd and 2 than it is when it's 2nd or 3rd and 12.  If you watch Oregon during the regular season, they'll sometimes even just call the same basic running play 2-3 times in a row.  That doesn't cut it when you're facing an opponent that has had time to prepare and is beating you at the line.

I believe what they need on the line just look at Auburn. Our lineman were extremely athletic, but they maintained big size and ran many plays. They also need a big back to help get that short yard or two. I really didn't see a big problem on their D as they did pretty well on that side of the ball. Yes they got pushed around between the 20's, but their depth and speed was a good equalizer. They were very good tacklers as well. I think they get 20lbs heavier on the O line and a big back they very well could have won that game.

I was impressed with what they brought on the field and they definitely deserved to be at that game. No I did not like their arrogance, but hey maybe they felt they needed that to get on the field with Auburn?

Oregon Offense would be even more dominant in years 2 come If they not only recruited bigger OL but switched 2 Real designed ISO Run plays, with Hat on Hat blocking, instead of Zone blocking ?!?!?  This is just my Opinion.... but the Ducks can keep their Off. the same and probally Win the PAC 10 again next year or PAC 12 whatever...Win a NC or beat a respectable SEC squad IDK... 

The PAC 10 Defenses doesnt put fear into Oregon's Offensive Philosophy on game-day, it seems the Pass heavy Conference dont recruit ATH. or just enough pure Speed on Defense, they pu them all on Offense ??  If Oregon , with the Talent they have on the Roster Offensively, went all out and started recruiting BIG D-Line and BIG O-Line, 2 fill out their Squad, then the Ducks would be a contender vs. the SEC....

I will be the first to say that Chip Kelly lost that game for them.  His arrogance around the goal line and on 3rd and 4th downs were his downfall.  He couldn't control the line of scrimmage so he moved the ball down the field using our speed against us and then wanted to punch us in the face by running between the tackles to get short yardage.

For their offense to to be more effective they need to avoid the SEC.  Even on our best night of the year on defense, LSU and Bama would have held them to nothing, maybe 7 points.  Leaving a guy like Fairley unblocked in the middle because you "are going to read him" is just stupid.  He alone disrupted their offense and then the rest of the defensive line made tackles.

The question is can bigger lineman with speed keep up with the pace of their offense. i.e would the system work if Chip ran it at Auburn. I know we ran more plays than they did, but the time between their plays is shorter. If they can keep up the pace i guess it'll work, but if he has to slow it down, is Chip good enough to design good plays ala Gus??

The question is can bigger lineman with speed keep up with the pace of their offense. i.e would the system work if Chip ran it at Auburn. I know we ran more plays than they did, but the time between their plays is shorter. If they can keep up the pace i guess it'll work, but if he has to slow it down, is Chip good enough to design good plays ala Gus??

If Kelly were to come to the SEC, in order to be successful he'd have to have the ability to slow it down at times, just like the way that Malzahn has had to adjust his pace to account for the speed and intelligence of SEC defenses. The pace can be quite disconcerting at times, but it can be just as counter-productive if not done properly.

To answer your final question, no, I don't think Kelly is good enough to do that, at least not on the level that Gus has.

If Kelly were to come to the SEC, in order to be successful he'd have to have the ability to slow it down at times, just like the way that Malzahn has had to adjust his pace to account for the speed and intelligence of SEC defenses. The pace can be quite disconcerting at times, but it can be just as counter-productive if not done properly.

To answer your final question, no, I don't think Kelly is good enough to do that, at least not on the level that Gus has.

It all depends on the coach's willingness to part from his philosophy.  Some coaches can't or won't.  Chip believes in speed.  Doesn't matter if he's up or down in the game.  That's his philosophy.  Probably what he thinks will give him the greatest advantage over the D.  Chip is a good coach but every offensive philosophy has weaknesses.  We just found a way to exploit it. 

Thats why I cant wait to see life without Cam. I keep hearing about how hes the only reason this system works in the SEC. I think opposing fans are going to be in for a surprise next year when Auburns offense does considerable damage.

Thats why I cant wait to see life without Cam. I keep hearing about how hes the only reason this system works in the SEC. I think opposing fans are going to be in for a surprise next year when Auburns offense does considerable damage.

I agree.  We saw what CGM did with CT last year, who was as 1-dimensional as a QB can be.   Even after his knee injury, BT looked 10X as mobile as CT was and from what I saw in the A-Day Game and his appearances in mop-up duty this year, has a better arm.   

The pundits (and opponent coaches) who have pronounced Auburn's 2011 offense DOA after Cam's departure will be in for a surprise.   

Playing Clemson and USCe on the road so early, I'm more concerned about how quickly our "80% new starters" O-line will gell (whether we retain CJG or not) than I am our QB situation.

Archived